Stage activation requires a double click / double spacebar pressing

Mushylog

Reported Version: v0.1.5 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Edition Windows 10 Home Version 22H2 Installed on ‎29/‎06/‎2022 OS build 19045.3570 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19052.1000.0 | CPU: CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz Base speed: 3.40 GHz Sockets: 1 Cores: 4 Logical | GPU: GPU 0 NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Driver version: 31.0.15.4592 Driver date: 19/10/2023 DirectX | RAMMemory 32.0 GB DDR3 Speed: 1600 MHz Slots used: 4 of 4 Form factor: DIMM Hardware reserved: 4

Severity: Low

Frequency: High. Very easy to reproduce the bug.

Description:

I am not sure when this bug happened, but frequently the game will not activate a staging on the first click of the green button nor will it active a staging on the first pressing of the space bar. A second click/press will do, though.

I believe this is not intended to be, as the tutorial itself believes that one staging input confirms separation of the craft, in tutorial "Missing the Ground 3/6". (Paige can be fooled!) Here is a video of it happening (I have to click a second time to successfully separate the stage):

Edited by The Space Peacock

I typically see this happen when moving to a new stage while the current one was resource dependent, ie decoupling a booster that burns fuel.

If the current stage is just a decoupler or parachute for example then it goes the the next stage with a single click? 

Can anyone confirm this?

• 1 month later...

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 Professional | CPU: 5800X | GPU: 3070 | RAM64GB CL14

Sometimes I have to press the space bar twice to get a stage to go, sometimes when I press once nothing happens and then the second press 2 stages go instead.

Sometimes I press once, and there’s is small delay (say 1 second) before staging happens. Even with simple stages. Obviously complex stages (like a dozen sepatrons on boosters detaching) also have a delay but that’s to be expected.

not the end of the world but after a long mission or critical multi-stage point (like a landing) things can get punchy.

i have not tested extensively yet the “go/stage” button on the screen to see if that’s an issue.

I’m currently using a wired Razer keyboard, non-mechanical.

Edited by The Space Peacock

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz 4.00 GHz | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 | RAM32 GB

On multiple occasions I've pressed the spacebar to move to the next stage only for nothing to happen. Pressing it a second time usually correctly stages, but also sometimes stages twice, ejecting the engine I was trying to activate. Other times pressing the spacebar does nothing, most often when I'm on my last stage trying to open my parachutes, forcing me to manually open them one by one.

Included Attachments:

OS: Windows 11 | CPU: Ryzen 7 PRO 5750G | GPU: AMD RX 6900 XT | RAM: 128 GB

Basically, for every Launch, I have to double-press Space for Staging at every Stage.

I am used to it now, but I think this is not intentional.

The good part is, as mentioned by others here, that it saved me a couple of times from wrong Staging.

On 11/1/2023 at 9:11 AM, PicoSpace said:

Wait... I thought that was a feature to avoid accidently hitting the spacebar...!
(5800x, 3070, 64GB, Windows 10)

Personally, if this IS a bug, im happy for it.  Spacebar is the Pause key in many city builders that I play and I am glad for a double tap as I have accidentally staged far too often.

would be amazing if this could be made into a toggleable feature instead of a bug, first press arms a stage (make it change color or something, and have option to disable) and second activates...

currently though, has both caused me grief and saved me an accidental stage at the same time-sometimes it's just delayed staging and i advance two stages, other times it makes the staging noise and does nothing

On 12/29/2023 at 10:33 AM, Kurobara9001 said:

Personally, if this IS a bug, im happy for it.  Spacebar is the Pause key in many city builders that I play and I am glad for a double tap as I have accidentally staged far too often.

Honestly, if double spacebar was the default staging key-bind, I think a lot more Kerbals would be alive right now.

Ideally staging should be done by "double-tapping" the spacebar key. Meaning hitting the key should be done twice in quick succession. The actual implementation is incorrect - you can tap now and tap again after 20 seconds and it stages.

The problem is that double space-bar pressing isn't intentional or official at the moment, so I find myself second-guessing whether I should press the spacebar again.

I am finding that I often have to hit the space bar multiple times to have it register.  Sometimes this is just lag, and as a result I end up with multiple stages going by, others it just does not register.

Included Attachments:

OS: Windows 11 Home 64-bit | CPU: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700KF (20 CPU's) ~3.6GHz | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | RAM16384 MB

Specs: Windows 11 Home 64-bit, Gigabyte Technology B660M GAMING X AX DDR4, F2 Bios, 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700KF (20 CPU's) ~3.6GHz, 16MB RAM, DirectX 12
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti, 8038 MB VRAM, 8112 MB Shared Memory

Severity: Medium. While this is sometimes rather annoying, at times it's catastrophic for a mission, especially with pinpoint stage movement.

Frequency: High. This happens almost all the time, and is rather frustrating.

Description: No matter what situation it is, when in flight, buttons and mouse inputs sometimes take more than one input to actually register in-game. This happens most often with situations such as:
- Clicking the "GO" button or pressing the spacebar to move to the next stage
- Clicking the "In" or "Out" buttons on the resource transfer window
- Clicking the Time Warp buttons
- Max Throttling and Cutting Throttle of the engine(s

Edited by Spicat

OS: see attached dxdiag | CPU: see attached dxdiag | GPU: see attached dxdiag | RAMsee attached dxdiag

Hi,

Thankyou SOOOOO much that I can now even play the game on a slightly lesser spec-ed PC with 2.0!

Every now and then I press X to turn off engines, or drag to Zero with mouse and it does for a split second, then powers up full. Nearly all the time I press Cntrl to lower my throttle and it cuts right out. I have to reload and on a random reload it works fine.

Every now and then the Space key does not stage and I have to reload and on a random reload it works fine.

Sev: Low

Freq: High

Kind regards,

Nic

Included Attachments:

FlySafeOrbital.json

DxDiag.txt

On 1/21/2024 at 5:39 AM, Spicat said:

@NicHudson, merged your bug report.

If you want to report several bugs, you need to make a bug report for each and not put them into the same bug report.

Sorry, I thought becusae they were both flight related, they go to the same person or something. It's my 1st time creating bug reports, I didn't realise they actually took a bit of effort to do.