AI generated missions

Jeq

• 4 weeks later...

Personally, I think the mission system needs to be drastically overhauled or a mod made to create unique and realistic mission with a mission code name, mission objective and mission parameters to design your ship with (x) number layers of redundancy. 

However, I know that's a bit of an over-expectation or I could make the mod to do it myself.......

• 3 weeks later...

@Devblaze This has been my main issue since the for science drop. I truly miss the procedurally generated missions (contracts) which filled the gap between the milestone missions of the first. I dont really want the only way to be for devs / the community to be feeding new and spicy missions into the selections, but rather a pretty basic / rudimentary systems for random gathering of science you are already exposed to. If the team behind the game completely abandons this, i may just cry. Hopefully, whatever limitations are within the game... there isnt any hard coded limitations to prevent members of the community from creating something like that.

I think community created missions would be fine and dandy.. maybe a voting system to allow for which one populate your choices?  It really boils down to choices, right? There do not seem to be any, take the milestone missions offered... or dont advance through the game period. This aspect seems to limit the freshness of solo replay value.

The second hang up is the way the advancement of the tech tree feels with the current mission mechanics. Disingenuous? I dont know the correct single term to articulate my sentiments, but felt it was put together as fan service without a great deal of thought behind how the advancements feel.
The WMCC mod / module go a long way to restoring the challenge i felt when playing KSP1 the first time. Each progression feels more earned? 

I love KSP in general and have begun to embrace the foundation of KSP2 but am distraught about waiting to see if missions will be revamped or just occasionally added to.

Edited by Fizzlebop Smith

On 1/24/2024 at 10:24 AM, Fizzlebop Smith said:

@Devblaze This has been my main issue since the for science drop. I truly miss the procedurally generated missions (contracts) which filled the gap between the milestone missions of the first. I dont really want the only way to be for devs / the community to be feeding new and spicy missions into the selections, but rather a pretty basic / rudimentary systems for random gathering of science you are already exposed to. If the team behind the game completely abandons this, i may just cry. Hopefully, whatever limitations are within the game... there isnt any hard coded limitations to prevent members of the community from creating something like that.

I think community created missions would be fine and dandy.. maybe a voting system to allow for which one populate your choices?  It really boils down to choices, right? There do not seem to be any, take the milestone missions offered... or dont advance through the game period. This aspect seems to limit the freshness of solo replay value.

The second hang up is the way the advancement of the tech tree feels with the current mission mechanics. Disingenuous? I dont know the correct single term to articulate my sentiments, but felt it was put together as fan service without a great deal of thought behind how the advancements feel.
The WMCC mod / module go a long way to restoring the challenge i felt when playing KSP1 the first time. Each progression feels more earned? 

I love KSP in general and have begun to embrace the foundation of KSP2 but am distraught about waiting to see if missions will be revamped or just occasionally added to.

I am hopeful that what we have been presented with so far is merely placeholding as they develop the mechanics of the game.  There is a tech tree mod (I haven't tried it) that may help.  Like you, I felt the entire tree was unbalanced based on the demands of a mission and available parts from the tech tree.  Great, I have a docking port I cannot use because none of my modules are big enough to use it...and I have to progress quite a bit to get the smaller one and by that point...WHY?  Some missions ask for a lot but have little return for science, making it a slug fest to get to the better tech tree options, progressively getting worse as you go.  Cheat works....I shouldn't need it....but it works.

As I get deeper into the game, despite the cheats, I am finding an assortment of issues that are hindering the playability.  It might be mods interfering, so I cannot discount them.  I am only using K2D2 and navigational mods, avoiding skins and parts stuff that ends up bloating the game.  That said, an assortment of flights to Duna...attempted flights, I would invariably encounter a completely different flight characteristic on every re-attempt...quick save in orbit shortly before the insertion window...set up the burn and line everything up to intersect and off I go.  Sometimes the burn calculators are bang on, other times they are off...by a wide margin, too short sometimes, too long other times.  I thought it was the mods, tried doing the same thing without and found the same weird behaviour...I could quick save right before executing the burn and repeat the process a dozen times and get a dozen completely different results...maybe two might be close to target when the burn is done.  Mid course correction is expected, but that is dependant upon the first burn being as close to accurate as possible.  KSP 1, I rarely had difficulty doing this...manual or mechjeb, I found I didn't do a lot of saves and reloads for virtually everything I do nowm in KSP 2.

Another bug I am not liking is the one that decides I don't need that docking port attached to my lander hiding inside the payload bay shortly after reaching Kerbin orbit.  Or when my Kerbals cannot get back inside the ship.  Yeah, that's fun.

There is an update coming soon.  I hope it addresses some of these things for us.  The mysterious signal thing is cool, but there needs to be much more than just those singular attractions.