Parachutes didn't deploy

Jeq

Bug Report

Reported Version: v0.1.5 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 

Parachutes didn't deploy staging them.

Vessel did drop over 200m/s second to water and survived

Edited by Anth

45 answers to this question

@Jeq 

You posted this twice by the looks of it.

I hope you don't mind that I changed the titles to make one for the parachutes and one for the surviving hitting the water.

1 bug per report makes it a lot easier to search for separate issues.

I also changed the videos so they start when the problem occurs.

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Win 11 home | CPU: i5-13600K | GPU: RTX 4060Ti | RAM32

Quicksave / Quickload cycle can also break chute deployment that was working correctly.

This bug is reproducible. Follow these steps using the quicksave file attached.

Load quicksave_64
Let the rocket climb to 25000m
Shut off the engines using X key
press F5 to quicksave
stage the chutes
All 4 chutes turn blue in the staging panel

Press F9 to reload the QS
stage the chutes
Only 2 chutes turn blue in the staging panel

Included Attachments:

quicksave_64.json

DxDiag.txt

Edited by BobKtoo
My report was merged with an existing bug report which is only partially relevant. Edited to highlight the new elements of my report.

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10, 64bit | CPU: 11th Gen Intel I7-11700 @ 2.5GHz | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER | RAM16 GB

Severity - Med
Frequency - Med

Parachutes (when staged or manually armed/deployed) do not deploy. Sometimes some of them, say 3/4 deploy. This causes your craft to crash into the planet. It has no work-around and still occurs even after quick-saving and quick-loading.

Included Attachments:

Reported Version: v0.2.1 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: windows 10 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 6800H | GPU: Nvidia Geforce RTX 3060 | RAM16 GO 4800 MHz DDR5

when i come back on Kerbin, my parachute disappear suddenly, whereas everything's well. And my vessel crashes everytime. It's begun during a mission in the science part, when I came back from the Mun. 

Included Attachments:

KerbalSpaceProgram22024-03-1923-53-08.mp4

Today engine didn't toggle when staging. 

There was two similarities in vessels:

1) Decoulper and failed part was at same stage sequence.

2) Vessels  were sub orbital low at kerbin.

I bet it is 1), when staging decoupler might sometime skip other parts at same stage sequence, when pressing space, only decoupler activates then code skips other commands which were gonna perform.

Edited by Jeq

I had the same issue. At my Game the Staging is Bugged. Sometimes it does not deploy the next Stage. If u press Space again you deploy the next 2 Stages. Sometimes the Parachutes wont deploy, but u can deploy them everytime manually.  Did this now 10 to 20 times and it worked every time.

Same thing happened to me. It's a hilarious bug (especially because my pod can miraculously survive hitting the water at 300 m/s), but still a bug.

Edited by Vallius

OS: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10,0, Build 19045) | CPU: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) 15-12400F | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 | RAM16GB

My ship contained a the pod with an engine plate (the part which usually you'd use to place more engines in specific shapes on the bottom of the ship) on the top of pod which had my parachute and 4 drogue chutes, then using the part of the engine plate that let you place stuff above the parachute was a decoupler, an sas module and a docking port, the plan was I'd Decouple the top docking port, exposing my parachutes ready to deploy, however once re-entering the atmosphere and slowing to a crawl speed of 200m/s at 10000m, the parachutes would not deploy, in fact even manually arming them would do nothing and the deploy button was greyed out, this inevitably caused my crew to crash into the ocean and... disintegrate, I tried again but teh same issue would occur casing me to give up. I presume the game still thought the parachutes were blocked since in the staging they were light blue to show they were armed but they would not deploy.

Included Attachments:

OS: Windows 11 | CPU: AMD Ryen 5900X | GPU: Geforce RTX3080 | RAM64GB

In the save file I've provided, I'm about 100km above Kerbin, ready for re-entry. 

I've gone to the Mun, landed and returned to Kerbin for re-entry, but the parachutes refuse to deploy. I've tried changing the settings to deploy immediately, in which case I can get 1 drogue chute to deploy sometimes, but the others will not work no matter what I do.

I burn the remaining fuel around 60km to slow down as much as possible before decoupling, then I wait until my speed drops to around 300m/s before I try to deploy the drogue chutes.

Included Attachments:

MunReturnLander1.zip

Re-entrysave.zip

OS: Win10 Home | CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x | GPU: RTX 4070 12GB | RAM32GB

Single Mk16 Parachute on top of Mk1 capsule fails to fully deploy even when in safe-to-deploy flight region (270m/s @ 2000m AGL) while at 1x game speed. Chute either deploys first stage which is destroyed after a minute of fall time, or fails to deploy all together.

Included Attachments:

OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD ryzen 5 1400 Quad-core | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6gb | RAM11.96

Parachute fails in 1 of 2 ways: (1) it doesn't open or (2) it breaks/cuts immediately after deploying.  Encountered this on the second career mission, not the first.  Attempted to do a reentry burn with extra delta v to isolate if the issue was due to speed and was able to confirm that it isn't.  Brand new game .zip & craft file attached, so it should be easy to replicate. 

Tim

Included Attachments:

AutoSaveDefault12_22_202321_17.json

GameSave.zip

Edited by Spicat

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Win10 Education | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics  3.20 GHz | GPU: NVIDIA GFORCE RTX 3070 16GB | RAM: 32GB

Multiple easily replicatable issues with Parachutes mounted on the PPD12 Sightseer capsule. Basically I'm going to Dune and want to decrease my speed using parachutes, so to save up fuel for the return trip. Have 4 MK12 Drogue and 4 MK16 standard parachutes.

EVERY TIME I TRY ONLY SOME OF THEM DEPLOY. Tried moving them around from the sides to the top, rotating them, activating them at different speeds. Nope. This issue IS ALREDY PRESENT WHEN LAUNCHING BACK AT KERBIN. When I right click to manfully deploy on the landing pad, only some of them deploy.

Here is a video. This happens multiple times and reloading/restarting game does not fix this issue.

https://streamable.com/lncp07

<iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/lncp07" width="560" height="315" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by A.Z.

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: Flight Plan, Maneuver Node Controller, MapView Focus and Targeting, K2D2, Micro-Engineer | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Win11 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900 12 core | GPU: GeForce RTX 2060 Super | RAM: 32GB

Had this happen to me today.  Waited until I hit about 10km before attempting to deploy (speed was at ~200 m/s).  The pair of drogue chutes deployed, but the pair of radially attached Mk16's did not.  Deployment was attempted through staging.  Quicksave and quickload did not work; Mk16's did not deploy through staging.  However, through PAM I was able to click deploy and they worked, slowing the craft down to 14.5 m/s...before flipping the craft over and picking up speed to 20 m/s.  That's probably more a function of the weight of the craft, but I've never seen chutes slow something down and then have that thing pick up speed after flipping over.  Weird.

All told, chute deployment is simply not working through staging.