Secondary Mission "Going Green" conditions are falsely met

WhereAreTheBathrooms

Bug Report

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 Home 64-Bit (10.0, Build 19045) | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X 3D 8-Core Processor | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 | RAM32768MB

Specs: 

Spoiler

hardwarespecs.png.a77f176285620413cded42892e3fed32.png

Severity: Medium, pretty distracting and immersion-breaking, I was very disappointed to have 'skipped' this mission :(

Frequency: High for this mission, consistently reproducible.

Description: The secondary mission "Going Green" has a condition which is met falsely in flight. In the attached video, though I do not have the Science Jr. part on my craft, or indeed even researched, the mission's condition is met and the mission is completed when I perform Crew Observations while landed at KSC. This occurs when I perform Crew Observations in flight too, as well as in space on a suborbital trajectory.

Additional note: is there no 'Missions' or similar category in the bug reports for this forum? I didn't know how to categorise this <3

Included Attachments:

GrasshopperIV.json

Edited by WhereAreTheBathrooms
Changed tag to Missions, since it was added :)

14 answers to this question

Note to the QA engineers working on this, this is caused by having the part name in "Inputstring" instead of "TestWatchedstring" on the part activated condition, and also by not having RequireCurrentValue set to true on the SOI condition

If you set both of those conditions to true, the mission should work as intended

Edited by cheese3660
further investigation

5 hours ago, cooperracker said:

It is tagged as fulfilled just with the simplest crew pod. I have not even launched it, but immediately did an "EVA" at the launch pad (maybe tagged here as fulfilled already, didn't got that?) and collected a surface sample.

Basically the way the experiment is set up, it triggers when any experiment is done due to some values being set wrong, as I mentioned in my other comment

I also ran into this. For me this mission completed at the same time I completed the "Space Walk" mission. I also did not have the science jr part on any crafts at all past or present when the issue occured.

Edited by MechBFP

It is tagged as fulfilled just with the simplest crew pod. I have not even launched it, but immediately did an "EVA" at the launch pad (maybe tagged here as fulfilled already, didn't got that?) and collected a surface sample.

Addendum: Reproduced it even simpler: staying in the non-launched pod and doing crew observation triggers the mission as successful.

Edited by cooperracker
1st: typo "ot" instead of "got"; 2nd: addendum

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Wine 9.0-rc3 on Linux | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 | GPU: NVIDIA 3060Ti | RAM32GB

The secondary mission "Going Green", whose objective is to perform an environment survey on Kerbin using the Science Jr. module, can be satisfied by having a Kerbal perform a a sample collection.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Start a new Exploration campaign, and put a vessel in Kerbin orbit.
  2. Complete the primary missions Launch A Rocket, Out of the Atmosphere, and Orbit Kerbin (switching to the vessel in orbit as necessary), and observe that the secondary mission Going Green becomes available.
  3. Go to the VAB, create a ship with just a command pod, and launch it.
  4. Send the Kerbal in the launched command pod on EVA.
  5. Let go of the ladder, so the Kerbal lands on the ground.
  6. Right-click the Kerbal and perform a Surface Survey.

Expected behavior: The mission "Going Green" does not complete.

Observed behavior: The mission "Going Green" completes.

Included Attachments:

OS: Windows 10 | CPU: Intel i5-10400 | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER | RAM16GB

tl;dr

Once you get a vessel into orbit, you get the "Going Green" mission. This mission seems to just check if you do science on Kerbin, not if you use the Science Jr.

Recreation steps for one flight:

1. Create a new save.
  2. VAB: Create a simple rocket that can reach orbit:
    1. Pod (with parachute)
    2. Decoupler
    3. 8-10 FL-T200 fuel tanks.
    4. Swivel
  3. Do no science on the pad! Launch the vessel into orbit, doing science in the atmosphere.
  4. Mission control: Submit "Launch" mission.
  5. Tracking Station: Control your vessel. This completes the "Space" mission.
  6. Mission Control: Submit "Space" mission.
  7. Tracking Station: Control your vessel. This completes the "Orbit" mission.
  8. Mission Control: Submit "Orbit" mission.
  9. Tracking Station: Control your vessel.
  10. Deorbit and land safely.
  11. Perform science on the ground or splashed down.
  12. Mission Control: Note "Going Green" is completed and ready to submit.

Included Attachments:

I have not researched "Enviromental science" or "Research Miniaturization" so I could not attach "Science Jr." to a rocket for a "Going Green" mission completion. But still somehow I have finished the mission.

Included Attachments:

Reported Version: v0.2.1 (latest) | Mods: Micro-Engineer; Flight Plan; Maneuver Node Controller; MapView Focus and Targeting | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900 12 core | GPU: GeForce RTX 2060 Super | RAM32 GB

Started new Explorer campaign today (at the request of @Dakota as it relates to the parachute issue).  Sent Kerrie (yes, Kerrie) Kerman into orbit on the first flight, completing multiple missions.  Landed in the ocean to complete the Bouyancy mission, then let go of the capsule to take a water sample and run a crew observation.  Upon completing both of these (in that order), the Going Green missions was submittable.  Steps to repeat:

1. Start a new campaign
  2. Build a new craft
  3. Launch to orbit
  4. Submit all available missions (you will have to flip back and forth between the craft and Mission Control several times - first launch, leave the atmosphere, stable orbit)
  5. Return to the surface of Kerbin, landing in the water
  6. EVA, then let go of capsule using Space bar
  7. Take surface sample and crew observation, then get back into the capsule
  8. Recover vessel and go to Mission Control.  Going Green mission is now submittable.

No craft file available as I did not save the craft file prior to recovery.  However, the only parts available at the time of build where the starting parts (under Starting Rocketry).

Included Attachments: