Kethane Pack 0.9.2 - New cinematic trailer! - 1.0 compatibility update

Majiir

Empty hexes are white when scanned. Hexes with kethane are green. A hex that's had all its kethane extracted should turn white to make it easy to tell when it's all gone without having to hover the cursor over them.

As you drain Kethane from hexes, their color changes. I'll admit I've never completely emptied a hex of Kethane but I've seen a hex change shade as it goes lower and lower. And to my eye empty hexes are grey so I assumed you wanted the emptied hexes to be a different color than naturally empty hexes. I agree that they should be that way and am a little surprised to find they are not.

What color ARE emptied hexes? Like a really dark green?

As mentioned in the past 2-3 pages, the new asteroids are actually classified in the game as something like a 'rocket part' (and they are even cross-feed capable, last I heard - OOP inheritance can be amusing at times :wink:).

The simple solution would be to treat them as Kethane tanks in some way. The mod has a well defined API, so other modders are free to give that a shot, and report back with how successful it was. But this method is prone to breaking easily in later versions, as you're effectively modifying a 'stock part' in the game.

Majiir still wants the ability to 'drill' the rock; I'm fine with that (it effectively keeps the Kethane mining portion self-contained), but it will make expanding Kethane for asteroids more difficult. In fact, I'm not sure if the existing scanners would be compatible in that setup either (probably not).

I'd suggest a compromise - a modified 'Claw' part that also has the ability to do the survey work (would update the Resources section once attached to the rock and activated), and effectively act as a 'drill' afterward. I admit this can effectively 'overload' one part a bit too much, but it seems to simplify the work quite a bit.

As mentioned in the past 2-3 pages, the new asteroids are actually classified in the game as something like a 'rocket part' (and they are even cross-feed capable, last I heard - OOP inheritance can be amusing at times :wink:).

The simple solution would be to treat them as Kethane tanks in some way. The mod has a well defined API, so other modders are free to give that a shot, and report back with how successful it was. But this method is prone to breaking easily in later versions, as you're effectively modifying a 'stock part' in the game.

Majiir still wants the ability to 'drill' the rock; I'm fine with that (it effectively keeps the Kethane mining portion self-contained), but it will make expanding Kethane for asteroids more difficult. In fact, I'm not sure if the existing scanners would be compatible in that setup either (probably not).

I'd suggest a compromise - a modified 'Claw' part that also has the ability to do the survey work (would update the Resources section once attached to the rock and activated), and effectively act as a 'drill' afterward. I admit this can effectively 'overload' one part a bit too much, but it seems to simplify the work quite a bit.

Perhaps the drill could be extended to drill rocket parts? This would mean that it could mine asteroids, and that you could also "mine" old fuel tanks.

Whoa, what landing legs are THOSE?!

Those comes from AIES Aerospace. They don't extend or retract, they're just big ol' pylons of metal that in this picture are attached by I-beams and struts.

Exceptionally high crash tolerance though. You can lithobrake at Kerbin without parachutes and live :P

Perhaps the drill could be extended to drill rocket parts? This would mean that it could mine asteroids, and that you could also "mine" old fuel tanks.

Simplest way would be to add some special version of asteroid kethane who had to be converted to the standard kethane with a special asteroid drill. The drill would just be an converter.

Those comes from AIES Aerospace. They don't extend or retract, they're just big ol' pylons of metal that in this picture are attached by I-beams and struts.

Exceptionally high crash tolerance though. You can lithobrake at Kerbin without parachutes and live :P

They're from NovaPunch, not AIES.

After updating straight to KSP 0.23.5.464 (I came late to the party, thankfully or I might have lost my progress) I completely removed the Kethane folder from GameData and reinstalled from the latest 0.8.5 package. To my great surprise and pleasure, my previous kethane scanning results are all still there! I have encountered no issues yet with the new build and it remains a totally kick-ass mod.

is it just me or does the download link in top post simply redirect back to this forum thread?

tried in browser first, wget finds same conundrum:

$ wget https://nabaal.net/files/kethane/Kethane-0.8.5.zip

--2014-04-03 09:28:41-- https://nabaal.net/files/kethane/Kethane-0.8.5.zip

Resolving nabaal.net... 173.193.193.212, 2607:f0d0:3002:54::10

Connecting to nabaal.net|173.193.193.212|:443... connected.

HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Moved Temporarily

Location: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/23979-Kethane-Pack [following]

is it just me or does the download link in top post simply redirect back to this forum thread?

tried in browser first, wget finds same conundrum:

You've probably configured your browser to clear referers. Revert that setting or request with referer https://nabaal.net/files/kethane/ (or alternately click that link and see if your browser sets the referer correctly on the same domain).

I'm gonna use Kethane for the first time in forever. I'm going to simply not bother Majiir like some petty child who wants something from his parents, find and asteroid, attach a damned tank to it via a claw, and use it that way.

Anyone else have a problem with this? Does this make you happier, Majiir, knowing that someone does this for fun instead of asking for asteroid tanks?

NO! I DEMAND ASTEROID TANKS ARMED WITH GIANT LASER CANNONS TO ZAP ANY ATTEMPT TO DIVERT IT FROM IT'S COURSE TO DESTROY KERBI......oh you mean use asteroids as kethane tanks. Yeah no big deal about those, only the D and E's seem to have enough size to justify any sort of mineable kethane, and even then it would be more of a novelty.

What, you're wondering what I was going on about? It's nothing that concerns you.....yet.

BFGfreak: Would you consider 240kt big enough to justify kethane mining without it being a novelty? :) (In my limited testing, I saw a class D asteroid of pure Metal with that mass (yes, I completely overrode stock's mass calculation, but that number was appropriate for the volume)).

@Majir: Very imaginative idea... Why don't you make a part so that someone could "hover" over jool and capture some of the kethane in the air?? Or if you're aerobraking it would be nice to refuel your craft...:confused:

@Majir: Very imaginative idea... Why don't you make a part so that someone could "hover" over jool and capture some of the kethane in the air?? Or if you're aerobraking it would be nice to refuel your craft...:confused:

Oh yeah. Fuel scoops like in Elite (or most any other space game out there). Probably not realistic, though. Hard to capture vapor molecules when you're screaming through the atmosphere at 10km/s.

I have this in my output log (Latest version of both kethane and KSP)

AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Kethane\Plugins\MMI_Kethane.dll

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d3d49558e4d408f4/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 53)

Failed to load assembly C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Kethane\Plugins\MMI_Kethane.dll:

System.BadImageFormatException: Format of the executable (.exe) or library (.dll) is invalid.

at Mono.Cecil.PE.ImageReader.ReadImage () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Mono.Cecil.PE.ImageReader.ReadImageFrom (System.IO.Stream stream) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Mono.Cecil.ModuleDefinition.ReadModule (System.IO.Stream stream, Mono.Cecil.ReaderParameters parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Mono.Cecil.ModuleDefinition.ReadModule (System.String fileName, Mono.Cecil.ReaderParameters parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Mono.Cecil.ModuleDefinition.ReadModule (System.String fileName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at AssemblyLoader.ScanForBadTypeRefs (System.String file) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at AssemblyLoader.LoadExternalAssembly (System.String file) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

I have this in my output log (Latest version of both kethane and KSP)

AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Kethane\Plugins\MMI_Kethane.dll

It's harmless. Delete MMI_Kethane.dll if you want to make it go away.

It's harmless. Delete MMI_Kethane.dll if you want to make it go away.

MMI_Kethane.dll was used in previous versions of the mod but isn't used now - however the author had to create a zero length file because when people update the mods they just drop the new version over the top of the old one - thus it would never get deleted - making it an empty file resolve this issue but does cause errors in the logs

In the kethane resource folder theres a file for kethane which will list the 'full' colour and the 'empty' colour - these are RGB values decimalised (ie 0 = 00, 1 = FF) I'm wondering if you set the empty value to the same shade of grey that would do the trick - but I suspect it'll get horrible to use as the shade of green would get progressively nearer and nearer to the grey hexs and would be difficult to see almost empty hex's to normal ones. Perhaps if we ask Majiir nicely he could amend the mod so it will have "0 = grey hex" on the map? :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.