Non-Biome Specific Experiments Are Behaving As Though They Were Biome Specific, Making It Near Impossible To Collect Science

The Space Peacock

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: Intel Core I7 10th Gen | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce MX350 | RAM8GB

Issue:
The Radiation Survey experiment, which is not supposed to be biome-specific, pauses if the vessel enters another biome in low (or high) orbit. This makes it functionally very difficult to collect science from this region, given that the experiment has a duration of 60 seconds and will frequently change biomes while in low orbit. The experiment also does not resume automatically when re-entering the biome. The video provided shows this occuring while transitioning from the 'Shallows' to the 'Seas' biome in Low Eve Orbit. This also occurs for other non-biome specific experiments.

Steps to Reproduce:
- load rad_exp_pauses_in_new_biome.json
- start the radiation survey on the WSRL-01 part. note the current biome.
- wait until the vessel enters a different biome. note that the experiment has been paused.

Note: this also happens for other non-biome specific experiments, such as the Orbital Survey experiment

Video Evidence:

Edited by The Space Peacock

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: Intel Core i5-8400 | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 | RAM32G

Running experiments sometimes pause without apparent reason. Clicking the resume experiment button does nothing most of the time, except for the on the "OSL-25 Starlab" where the extension animation followed immediately by the retraction animation play without the experiment resuming. Rarely the experiment does resume but it usually pauses again soon after.

To reproduce:

1. Fly vessel with "OSL-25 Starlab" and/or "WSRL-01"(long experiment time gives higher chance of bug occuring) to low kerbin orbit

2. Run experiments

Included Attachments:

Tylo.json

OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 5700X | GPU: AMD Radeon 6800 XT | RAM32GB 3200MHz DDR4

This one is particularly frustrating, as it's partially gating progress in the new science update, making it more difficult to acquire the necessary points to upgrade the tech tree.  When running experiments on either the WSRL-01 and OSL-25 "Starlab", experiments will randomly pause of their own volition with no user input from me.  Further, the vast majority of the time, they'll refuse to respond to "Resume" commands in the Parts Manager.  On the WSRL-01, I can spam the "Resume" button 50 times and it might respond to it once, only to pause again a split second later.  It's even more annoying on the OSL-25, because a) that part has to cycle an animation every time before the experiment will start running, and b) because the experiment takes 6 minutes to complete.  I've managed to complete a single orbital survey in High Kerbin orbit, and it took a loooot longer than 6 minutes to complete with all the random pauses, quicksaves and reloads I had to do.  The longest it ever ran of its own accord was a minute and a half, and most times it would only run for 2-3 seconds if it ran at all (which it did not the vast majority of the time).  Sometimes I'll press "Resume" and the animation will run only for it to decide to pause as soon as the animation is finished; other times it will decide to pause even before the animation is finished cycling.  More often than not though, it won't respond at all.

One thing I've noticed is that, after quicksaving and loading, the run experiment command will always respond immediately after reloading.  It won't necessarily go anywhere before pausing again, but it will do something.  After that, it's a crapshoot until you save and reload again.

Included Attachments:

Starlab only has two sciences, orbit space high and orbit space low. Still it allways stops and must be manually activated again when biome changes.

Included Attachments:

I've noticed that the starlab experiment produces a location based result "orbital survey data/sample at kerbin/low orbit/ water" if you are no longer over the water it pauses, and can be resumed once over the water again. This is problematic for regions like coastline and grasslands where you will leave the region before the lab can deploy. There is also no indicator in the parts manager to show what local region you are in, only low/high orbit.

22 hours ago, jclovis3 said:

To help all who are stuck with this bug, hover your mouse cursor over the collect sciences button on the left to see your current biome situation so you know when to resume the research.

And start research only when orbitting biggest biomes of planet.

On 12/28/2023 at 1:43 PM, Jeq said:

And start research only when orbitting biggest biomes of planet.

Except the OSL-25 "Starlab" actually performs unique science over each biome in low orbit but not high orbit. So you will need to either keep continuing as you pass over the correct biome, or begin a landing and hover over it if it is something small like a crater.

Why don't the survey experiments auto-resume collecting science when we are in a biome where we left off instead of pausing indefinitely? This should not be the players responsibility.

OS: Windows 10 | CPU: Intel I5-10400 @ 2.90GHz | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER | RAM16GB

The way Science parts run their experiments and interact with biomes are buggy. I think that these two situations may be related:

1. When you change situation (flying, landed, in orbit, etc) the science shortcut button frequently starts flashing as if there is science to gather even if the experiments will generate 0 science. However, it does not happen EVERY time. I have not been able to nail down exactly what is needed to get the button to reliably flash or not, however it seems to do with what biome you're in. This is true whether or not the experiment cares about the biome.
  2. Long-running experiments (atmosphere, radiation) are difficult to run when moving because if you cross a biome boundary, the experiment will pause and you cannot continue it - even if you go back into the original biome that you started the experiment in. The only way to complete the experiment is to remain in the same biome and the same situation through the duration of the experiment. I verified this on Gilly by hovering over the ground for the full 2 minutes to run the Radiation experiment.

Included Attachments:

OS: Windows 11 | CPU: i5 12600K | GPU: RTX3080 | RAM64GB

The radiation survey reports state as "Tylo: Low Orbit" but no biome, i.e. I expect that there's only one low orbit survey available. I'm also only able to store one such report. However, I can only complete the survey if I'm overflying the biome where I started it.

To reproduce: 

1. Send a probe with a radiation survey module into low Tylo orbit
  2. Start the survey
    1. Expected: Survey completes in 1 minute
    2. Observed: It pauses when the satellite flies over a different biome
  3. Resume the survey
    1. Observed: If above the same biome as when the survey started, it resumes, else it doesn't
  4. Repeat step 3 until survey completes
    1. Expected/Observed: Survey completes successfully
  5. Start another survey over a different starting biome, and repeat steps 1-4
    1. Observed: Survey completes and is immediately discarded because it's already in storage

Included Attachments:

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/26/2023 at 10:03 AM, Nezzerax said:

I've noticed that the starlab experiment produces a location based result "orbital survey data/sample at kerbin/low orbit/ water" if you are no longer over the water it pauses, and can be resumed once over the water again. This is problematic for regions like coastline and grasslands where you will leave the region before the lab can deploy. There is also no indicator in the parts manager to show what local region you are in, only low/high orbit.

As mentioned elsewhere in the thread, the Starlab is only biome-specific in Low Orbit. Once in High Orbit, only one experiment can be performed, as expected.

Luckily, the automatic-experiment-resume feature seems to be working well in version 0.2.1, so you can fast-forward time to get tricky biomes like beach (takes several orbits, but eventually it's done).

P.S.: To see what region you are over, you can hover over the science icon on the left panel.

7wNTOVn.jpg

• 4 weeks later...