Relay antenna not working [Cannot transmit science data using Relays]

NoobAlike

Bug Report

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD R9 5900X | GPU: RTX 3080 FE | RAM32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz

So I have two crafts side by side, one craft has x3 Communotron HG-5 attached to it, and the other has x1 RA-15 attached.

The two crafts are ~10 meters apart from each other, and are orbiting Jool, facing Kerbin directly. (Jool isn't blocking the signal)

The craft with RA-15 receives connection back to KSC, and is able to transmit data, but the craft with HG-5 is not able to, even though it's 10 meters away from another craft that has the capability.

ggvSsAf.jpeg

JskGBhX.jpeg

Edited by The Space Peacock

15 answers to this question

On 12/26/2023 at 5:33 AM, The Space Peacock said:

this also occurs on Duna near the monument. i have a savefile for that: Duna Monument.json

probe core is connected to commnet and has control, but has no connection to transmit Data

EDIT: Likely caused by using a relay for commnet connection.

Using the save file supplied by  @The Space Peacock I found that retracting the transmitter on his rover actually restored communications.

Might not be the only way that this bug is occurring though.

this also occurs on Duna near the monument. i have a savefile for that: Duna Monument.json

probe core is connected to commnet and has control, but has no connection to transmit Data

EDIT: Likely caused by using a relay for commnet connection.

Edited by The Space Peacock

Also struggling with this on a mission around Eve right now. The RA-15 does not seem to be functioning to pass science data. 

CommNet on the NavBall shows Full Control, but on the Research Inventory it shows NO CONNECTION. Both probes are built around a HECS2 and are unmanned.

I have this at the Jool system. Two probes in system one with an RA-15 and the other has a DTS-M1. The probe with the DTS-M1 has Full Control (i.e. Control Status: Fully Functional) but DATA in Research Inventory says "No Connection". All lines of sight look to be okay if that is even a thing in KSP 2.

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Win11 | CPU: intel 12700K | GPU: NV 4070ti | RAM32 GB

I landed a rover on Tylo, when I first landed I have data transmission connection, but when I drove to the monument I lost the connection.

I have 2 RA-15 relay in the Jool system. One orbiting Jool and one orbiting Tylo. Both also don’t have data connection but controllable. Craft on kerbin orbit has data connection.

sorry for not uploading game files.

Included Attachments:

Same here. I took a science satellite for a shallow dive into Laythe's atmosphere, which was just enough to destroy its antenna, but not much else. I can still control it from another relay satellite around Jool, but I can't transmit the science.

Am I able to attach a save file to a normal reply, or can I only do that via the bug reporter?

On 1/23/2024 at 6:24 PM, Anth said:

Using the save file supplied by  @The Space Peacock I found that retracting the transmitter on his rover actually restored communications.

Might not be the only way that this bug is occurring though.

I just tried it with newest patch, and retracting/extending communotrons did not make any difference for me

Also getting this bug. This mission I'm on is cursed, game decided suddenly that the probe was out of comm-net range despite me being just outside Kerbin's SOI, and sending this exact probe model to Gilly without ever losing control. A quicksave and quickload fixed the first issue, but then started getting the bug as per the thread. Made it all the way to Ike but the game won't let up on stopping me transmitting the data :(. Retracting/extending the antenna does nothing.

Save File

Edited by Newe6000

Also Getting this bug.    Eeloo probes have full control, but trying to transmit science says "no comm"

retracting antennas does not fix  (although, the probe has both a RA15 non-retractable dish AND 2 radial retractable antennas, so I simply cannot try reactaing all of them at the same time)

I was so pleased to have my eeloo probes working at all, as when I launched them I had only the ~36gm range antennas, but Ive been sending relays to the gap between dres + jool, with the ~80ish gm antennas.     Since I was able to successfully control the vehicles for capture and getting into a nice polar orbit, I thought I was all set.

Tried spending a few hours skimming the JSON save files, but I could not find anything that looked like a "science experiment has commnet" = false type of property.    Ah well.   I guess that would have been too easy.

EDIT -- for now, I am experimenting with bring the probes back nearer to kerbin.   I think I can get inside Duna's orbit on both probes.    I'll try to update next week, with if the science was allowed to transmit, once they got closer to Kerbin, or if the probes stayed completely unable to transmit.   (fortunately I overbuilt the probes somewhat and had about 1800extra dv)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT2 -- I brought my eeloo probe in towards kerbin, and the planet lined up closer too.    and my old antenna now reached by itself, i guess.     But, the probe which previously had been unable to send/"no connection" on the science inventory -- was able to successfully send.

*  SO -- this means the ships are not permanently corrupted (at least in my case).    Not sure if you need to leave the original SOI before it will "notice".    Or if you simply need to get close enough that you no longer need a relay -- if the probe can reach home all by itself.

Its not a fix.    But its a workaround.     until science can send with a relay, IF you have some old science that is locked up with the "No Connection",  you may be able to solve it by getting that ship back in closer to KSC.      Might need to turn on infinite fuel cheat.   or if your impatient, maybe use the cheat menu and warp to kerbin.    but FYI, you can recover your science if you get closer.

pps.  I believe this should work for any cases that are caused by being beyond antenna range.    issues of being obscured by planets or deep inside a crater or mohole or something, I dunno.    but hey, better than nothing

Edited by CFTeague2
edit upcoming testing note/testing result