Colonies Sneakpeeks

Dakota

On 3/23/2024 at 3:44 PM, voidhofer said:

I don't see docking ports connecting the pieces and I am pretty sure it would not be easy to fly them up whole

I expect that the ‘Base Editor’ mode (Colony’s self-editing VAB-like function) will allow new parts to be ‘welded’ onto the existing structure which would mean expansions don’t require docking ports to link them together (unlike when building out a station today in KSP 1 or 2) but as was pointed out below

17 minutes ago, Superfluous J said:

Not altogether, as there are still uses for landers, resource gatherers, etc.

you would likely still put docking ports on an orbital colony (I suppose unless they have some kind of magical ‘docking bay’ planned where you just nose-in / get close-ish and the craft is suddenly connected to the colony)

8 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

Not altogether, as there are still uses for landers, resource gatherers, etc.

And to bring more resources to the station to expand it.
I assume it will be some resource "colony building material" you have to send from Kerbin to the colony.
I also assume some sort of hub or workshop who enable the orbital or ground VAB.  To expand the colony you send more building material.
It could be multiple materials for realism and complexity. 

As I see it it will also enable building spaceships in space with materials you launched or modify an ship you docked to station to add missing solar panels, antennas and parachutes :) 
This will be very useful as its better to bring 100 ton of materials to an station at Jool than to send all sort of crafts for various purposes. 

Unknow if you can recycle 
 parts,  as in you break up the ship who sent the resources to station or base for more "colony building material" 

Maybe you'll actually have to send the parts or intermediate building materials for those, so you'll have only a certain amount to build your local crafts and colony upgrades from.

The delivery routes could be used to send building materials for certain part groups, like engine parts, fuel tank parts, solar panels parts ... reactor components, habitat components etc .. as it would make (realistically) no sense to send raw metal into space to cast an engine component from. For ground colonies, this could be different.
Recycling then, would be a big part of the game -> recovering a vessel, would put the components of the vessel back into the inventory of the colony.

Beautiful designs! Keep up the good work Dakota and the rest of the team.

On 3/15/2024 at 12:42 PM, Dakota said:

Orbital Test Colony over Duna from the One Year Anniversary Post

trpc0wlusekc1.png

On 3/15/2024 at 1:15 PM, Dakota said:

Orbital Test Colony over Jool

2 hours ago, Cyal said:

Maybe you'll actually have to send the parts or intermediate building materials for those, so you'll have only a certain amount to build your local crafts and colony upgrades from.

The delivery routes could be used to send building materials for certain part groups, like engine parts, fuel tank parts, solar panels parts ... reactor components, habitat components etc .. as it would make (realistically) no sense to send raw metal into space to cast an engine component from. For ground colonies, this could be different.
Recycling then, would be a big part of the game -> recovering a vessel, would put the components of the vessel back into the inventory of the colony.

Like the parts containers in KSP 1, yes that is possible but I say harder to implement I think. 
It also almost require you to have an copy of the base in VAB so you can test the build before launching the parts.  Say you want to build an ramp to access the landing platform. how many plates and other parts like struts do you need? 
Granted it could be smart to test this with the lander rover anyway so its not to steep. 

Hopefully the next update will fix a good chunk of the remaining bugs so that we can at least feel like the development team is making progress on the game. And hopefully we wont have to have too many updates/months in-between now and colonies.

Just now, Presto200 said:

Hopefully the next update will fix a good chunk of the remaining bugs so that we can at least feel like the development team is making progress on the game. And hopefully we wont have to have too many updates/months in-between now and colonies.

Tell me about it! v0.2.1 is 'getting somewhat stale' (ready for v0.2.2 , if not fully v0.3 ;p)
Please give us a new version ahead a bit of the next KERB so we can fill it with new and exciting bugs!

6 minutes ago, GGG-GoodGuyGreg said:

Nice try, but the same guy, in a recent interview, said that Colonies will come sooner than Science, and moments later in the same interview, said to never trust his estimates.

So yeah, I get to keep my $M.

The Base Assembly Editor is already in the code and use the same framework as the vab (The Object Assembly Builder). Can't do more than that.

On 3/26/2024 at 3:25 PM, Spicat said:

The Base Assembly Editor is already in the code and use the same framework as the vab (The Object Assembly Builder). Can't do more than that.

speaking of which 

SPOILERS

Spoiler

JmJ7dSm.png

Hf63F3i.png

From aterriblemodder on discord.

talked about it but for me it boiled down to.

Spoiler

it seems like its just the old UI using the new UI format, its there in the code as of right now but it feels like its a dead end/point, as in its not completed.

It is just there saying that it exists but it seems like a "dead unused asset / Early access great removal of content"

1 hour ago, The Aziz said:

Don't understand the comparison to older UI, aside from the back button and whatever rounded rectangle at the top, it looks exactly like current VAB UI.

I think the comparison is about the "frosty blue" color of the building catagory elements. Personally I think I liked KSP2's old direction of the UI more than the current version

G-dDPNgIfzKH9VH8UAy0PD-1HO-AdfP2bpmvb3Bb

1 hour ago, Stephensan said:

speaking of which 

SPOILERS

Hide contents

JmJ7dSm.png

Hf63F3i.png

From aterriblemodder on discord.

talked about it but for me it boiled down to.

Hide contents

it seems like its just the old UI using the new UI format, its there in the code as of right now but it feels like its a dead end/point, as in its not completed.

It is just there saying that it exists but it seems like a "dead unused asset / Early access great removal of content"

Awesome photos, thanks for showing those for people who don't know how to "code dive" hopefully it will be a good system combining VAB build style with someway to intuitively make sure the pieces are secured and stable on the ground

On 3/15/2024 at 5:42 PM, Dakota said:

Orbital Test Colony over Duna from the One Year Anniversary Post

trpc0wlusekc1.png

Now I wonder if the doughnut between the rotating bar and the tanks are the colony hub who enables you to enter orbital VAB mode. The rotating bar with 8 windows I guess is science as each floor will have its own spin gravity. You also have the complex looking square thing, not the hub as it was added later. Probably another science part or something with resources, the large wheel is obviously habitation. 

One nice thing would be if 2.5 m and larger struts had the option to have an crew transfer tube inside.