Colonies Sneakpeeks

Dakota

Parts production? fuel production? energy? What is this? 

Spoiler

image.png?ex=6606f86c&is=65f4836c&hm=69a

The two colonies also seem to be different, the facility I mentioned is mounted differently, possibly a new iteration of the colony?  It seems there are more struts too, maybe a different configuration of the same parts?

Large antenna and what appears to be a nuclear plant or maybe a science facility to me, possibly a launching dock?

Spoiler

image.png?ex=6606f963&is=65f48463&hm=dcbimage.png?ex=6606f9c5&is=65f484c5&hm=860

Thank you for the  video! lots of us were very excited to see how it moved! I'm wondering, maybe procedural sizes for the gravity rings? it could effect how fast it spins to always maintain 1g  

33 minutes ago, Ryaja said:

Parts production? fuel production? energy? What is this? 

Reveal hidden contents

image.png?ex=6606f86c&is=65f4836c&hm=69a

The two colonies also seem to be different, the facility I mentioned is mounted differently, possibly a new iteration of the colony?  It seems there are more struts too, maybe a different configuration of the same parts?

Large antenna and what appears to be a nuclear plant or maybe a science facility to me, possibly a launching dock?

Reveal hidden contents

image.png?ex=6606f963&is=65f48463&hm=dcbimage.png?ex=6606f9c5&is=65f484c5&hm=860

They look the same except the Duna one has more stuff at the end. 

Now one thing who makes me exited is that you send materials to the base and you can then enter the base builder interface and upgrade the base using the materials. For now you have to send this from Kerbin but in the future you can mine and refine in space but you will always need to send stuff up to orbital colonies either building material or raw material for processing. 

But for me the exiting thing is that if your ship is docked to station then you press edit mode, so your ship should be part of this and you should be able to edit your ship. It would be more work to not include the ship. 

1 hour ago, magnemoe said:

For now you have to send this from Kerbin

Oh, I really hope that's not how it works in v0.3 when Colonies (pre-resources) comes out...

I have no problem needing to ship in the 'seeds' of the colony from Kerbin, but I really hope that there are gradual "part/fuel-generators" that just consume large sums of energy and produce loads of waste-heat to enable true off-world construction (or even 'role-playing' as if you've lost all contact with Kerbin, an orbital probe shows a smoking crater where once the KSC stood, and now your colony is Kerbality's only hope for the future, doable only because a sufficiently-advanced colony could be self-sustaining)

Mmmmm, crispy :heart_eyes:

Just now, Kianykin said:

Are we getting rotors in this next update?

don't think so, the rotating part probably sits on top of a bearing of sorts, and the opposite sides with connection nodes are static, all-in-1

44 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

Mmmmm, crispy :heart_eyes:

don't think so, the rotating part probably sits on top of a bearing of sorts, and the opposite sides with connection nodes are static, all-in-1

We've got moving parts. Someone will find a way.

7 hours ago, Dakota said:

Orbital Test Colony over Jool

Nice to see the colony sneakpeak today.

My suggestion for the next sneakpeak would be a more in-depth screenshot: perhaps a screenshot of the (work-in-progress) UI or a particular part with a short explanation as to its function.

The parts look cool! Any comment on when we could hear some information on what restrictions/considerations will be needed in the finished game in exploration mode? Ie is science points the only consideration or will resources limit the player in some way, and if so, how and how will mined resources be counted. Will it be binary resource availability, tied to in game clock, or tied to real game clock or some other solution?

2 hours ago, moeggz said:

will resources limit the player in some way

As I believe I understand it, once resources come into the game, ‘basic’ resources are likely infinite from KSC (likely parts we have now/brought forward from KSP1 and probably all fuels we have now too, exception perhaps for the uranium-fuelled power-generator we have in KSP2) but as the near-future techs start to get unlocked, their consumables to operate and/or ‘construction requirements’ (plus also the size of build-space, which is bigger on-orbit) starts to limit what can be built/refuelled and where.

#Speculation

14 hours ago, moeggz said:

The parts look cool! Any comment on when we could hear some information on what restrictions/considerations will be needed in the finished game in exploration mode? Ie is science points the only consideration or will resources limit the player in some way, and if so, how and how will mined resources be counted. Will it be binary resource availability, tied to in game clock, or tied to real game clock or some other solution?

12 hours ago, Flush Foot said:

As I believe I understand it, once resources come into the game, ‘basic’ resources are likely infinite from KSC (likely parts we have now/brought forward from KSP1 and probably all fuels we have now too, exception perhaps for the uranium-fuelled power-generator we have in KSP2) but as the near-future techs start to get unlocked, their consumables to operate and/or ‘construction requirements’ (plus also the size of build-space, which is bigger on-orbit) starts to limit what can be built/refuelled and where.

#Speculation

My Speculation is that they will make the KSP only have access to methalox and methane then they'll make you go to other celestial bodies to find the resources to make other fuel types

54 minutes ago, Presto200 said:

My Speculation is that they will make the KSP only have access to methalox and methane then they'll make you go to other celestial bodies to find the resources to make other fuel types

Yup that is my guess as well with the exception being sandbox mode.

6 hours ago, Presto200 said:

I basically have the same thought. Though my guess would also include hydrogen and xenon.

It would be a little strange to not have access to hydrogen with an ocean right at the end of the runway.

I agree, but I'm betting there's more to it.

We're talking about fuel, what about RTG's for electricity? Or advanced Science parts, like a Radiation Detectors?

And that's just the parts we have. That doesn't even go near the Colony Parts, Interstellar Engines, etc.

13 minutes ago, stephensmat said:

I agree, but I'm betting there's more to it.

We're talking about fuel, what about RTG's for electricity? Or advanced Science parts, like a Radiation Detectors?

And that's just the parts we have. That doesn't even go near the Colony Parts, Interstellar Engines, etc.

Ah you're right. I could see them limiting Uranium to be only off world, so no NTGs and no NTRs. And I guess there's no real use for hydrogen without the NTR.

18 hours ago, SolarAdmiral said:

I basically have the same thought. Though my guess would also include hydrogen and xenon.

It would be a little strange to not have access to hydrogen with an ocean right at the end of the runway.

Extra strange to have access to me than but not hydrogen.  Cracking hydrogen from water is at least expensive in terms of power needed.  Hydrogen from methane steam reformation is cheap.

21 hours ago, SolarAdmiral said:

Ah you're right. I could see them limiting Uranium to be only off world, so no NTGs and no NTRs. And I guess there's no real use for hydrogen without the NTR.

Now I could easy see hydrolox engines. High ISP but lower trust than metanox. It has the benefit that it drain from the mothership fuel tanks rater than dedicated lander tanks as you always bring to little or much of that. 

4 hours ago, SomeRandomGuy said:

Extra strange to have access to me than but not hydrogen.  Cracking hydrogen from water is at least expensive in terms of power needed.  Hydrogen from methane steam reformation is cheap.

Abundant hydrocarbons makes it cheaper for us yes. But water electrolysis isn't so much more expensive to make it impossible. Like a space program on a planet without hydrocarbons but that does have water would easily still be able to have hydrogen. 

But you're right, with access to methane, there's no reason the kerbals wouldn't also have hydrogen.