My Sadness is Great - Who else wanted Infinite missions?

LW0PFUz.jpeg

The current Mission Plan does not currently have changes to existing primary mission sequence.

Is this worded so to be purposefully ambiguous? Or, does it pretty much confirm that mission are complete.. at least until some additional DLC.

I have been holding out for hopes of some kind of confirmation they would implement the "contract configurator" system at some point.

I have alway thought this was supposed to build upon the elements thay we all loved about KSP1.

I maintained hoped that at some point they would begin to confirm various aspects of that being the case. 

This game does have potential to shape up into something truly amazing.

The modding community of KSP1 are the reason it was successful for so long. People can argue this, but look at (non mmo) games that maintain relevance 15 years later. Morrowind still has a Huge following due to this.

DOOM may remain one of the most famous titles of all time due to the embracing of modders. DOOM was recently modified to display on GMO e-coli gut cells.

The refresh rate was abyssmal...but DOOM appeared in a national publication how many years later. 

It is clear mission considerstions are over, but a bad@$$ member of the modding community working on a more career approach. The mod is taking off, but looks like missions part is delayed / backburner.

I may return when / if the procedural mission part of that mod ever drops.

I love you all  ..  everyone one of the KSP community members. Even those I disagree / argue with.

It has become pretty clear to me that this game intends to be something vastly different in spirit.

That's OK. It's just not what I bought into the idea of. My greatest fear is loading up the game and seeing the missions for sale @ 1$ each.

Buy parts packs & other mods that the community created.

That my prediction for the future. I hope I am wrong.

I'll be in the halls of KSP1 .. ::waves::

Edited by Fizzlebop Smith

Primary. The ones directly related to monument discovery storyline. Those that end up as a cliffhanger until interstellar arrives.

We may see more of secondary missions soon. There was a mission feedback thread somewhere after all.

It's true that the main missions could have some sort of introductory tasks before "land specifically at target on a world you've never seen before", but other than that, there's nothing between Minmus and Duna. It's a logical next step. Only, the next step should be "flyby/orbit Duna" rather than where it points you now.

Edited by The Aziz

5 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

Only, the next step should be "flyby/orbit Duna" rather than where it points you now.

And/or "create an uncrewed station orbiting Kerbin [or The Mun] with 'X' amount of Methalox and 'Y' amount of antennas" followed by "dock to the station with a newly-launched crewed vehicle to bring it online".
Mainline progression would then be Minmus Monument signal shows something coming from further out in the Kerbollar system (or even "know it is somewhere on Duna"), but we're not entirely sure where of the coordinates, and so a crewed observation post a bit out from Kerbin helps with triangulation, as well as guides new players to try docking.

I think my issue with the story is that it just goes too fast.  You launch a rocket, you get into space, you spend time on Mun and Minmus...now go to Duna, and follow that up by going to Tylo.  And you're done.  Too quick.  For something called "Exploration Mode", there isn't enough focus on actually exploring the solar system.  Heck, these monuments just appear out of nowhere without having to even go there first to find that something is amiss.

I was hoping that there would be some changes to the story when we got colonies.  Like maybe "set up a colony near the monument in Duna and do some science to see if it gives anything or any reason for it being there".  Maybe they are all connected via some kind of signal, and you have to send colonists to all locations for reasons.  But I guess that won't happen.

What's really sad is that, if there truly are no changes to the story missions, there may be no reason for me to play until Interstellar drops.

3 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

Like maybe "set up a colony near the monument in Duna and do some science to see if it gives anything or any reason for it being there".  Maybe they are all connected via some kind of signal, and you have to send colonists to all locations for reasons.

I had suggested something for 'now' (pre-colonies) just above your comment, but I do like your post-colonies one better... Except I might put it on Minmus, to mirror both my own idea (to help triangulate signals from beyond Kerbin's SOI, for which Minmus would be better placed than The Mun) and because Minmus' lower gravity and no atmosphere should make colonization [and repeat precision landings] easier for first attempts.

This was definitely one of the most disappointing things I saw on discord the other day. Dynamic missions are an achievable feature, and not a lofty goal. There is work to do there but its not some great hurdle. 

But what actually irks me is that they haven't taken a single sprint, on a project that has a mission design team, to add another 10-20 static missions to the list? That definitely was one of the most disappointing things to me.

This development team is at risk of tuning out the customer and missing the opportunity to adjust course...and the crazy part is that it is in the name of tuning out the customer so they don't waste time changing course.

Edited by PASSthe40

6 minutes ago, Flush Foot said:

repeat precision landings

Not to get too far off track, but this is a serious issue that the developers need to take into account with Colonies.  I've got >1000 hours in KSP1, and a couple hundred in KSP2.  And I still cannot land accurately on my own, nor can I do so with the right speed (or lack thereof, as it were).  Automated landings have to be a thing or colonies won't be very good for the majority of players that the company is trying to attract.

5 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

Not to get too far off track, but this is a serious issue that the developers need to take into account with Colonies.  I've got >1000 hours in KSP1, and a couple hundred in KSP2.  And I still cannot land accurately on my own, nor can I do so with the right speed (or lack thereof, as it were).  Automated landings have to be a thing or colonies won't be very good for the majority of players that the company is trying to attract.

Took some digging, [forum-searches were useless, as usual] but skimming through my past posts I eventually found such a discussion elsewhere.

Ah... I see my post over there was in response to you, @Scarecrow71 ;p

I'm so glad the repetitive missions are gone. I hated them in KSP1. The boredom of them was a big factor in me never leaving Kerbin's SOI. KSP2's missions actually encouraged me to go and try new things. This is what missions are supposed to do, not make you repeat the same thing over and over.

I haven't even finished all the missions FS introduced and I've already clocked at least 130 hours in it. If they continue to add side missions and extend the story missions with the milestones, the tailored missions can easily add up to hundreds of hours by the time they reach 1.0. If you managed to finish all of them, I suspect by then you will either be satisfied, have your own list of things of your own to do, or have a list of mods that will fill in the gap.

It doesn't strike me as an important focus for core development to invest in repetitive missions when they can instead provide more incentives to explore.

Here's to hoping that them specifically saying "Primary" means that there will be expansion of side missions, one problem though is as it stands you only get side missions whenever completing main mission goals. I think for longevity of the game they should bring back procedural missions that make you feel like you truly are building a space agency that needs to test out parts and build infrastructure around the solar system (and eventually Solar Systems ;) ). I would also go to @steveman0's point and say they would need to find a balance between repetitive and fun, as well as a balance between easy and difficult. As I've said in a previous post, I don't find myself coming back to KSP2 for play sessions as often because after you get to a certain distance in the missions, all missions are far out and difficult. Not to say I don't love this game for the challenges, but I don't always have the time to do a whole big mission, so I only find myself coming back to the game when I have a long time to play because I don't like splitting missions into multiple play sessions.

Anyways, I think there is a lot of time left in development, I think every roadmap milestone (besides multiplayer) will bring more missions, whether is is adding to the backend of the main storyline or adding side missions. This will at least help but I share your opinion @Fizzlebop Smith and I hope procedural missions come eventually so that there is infinite potential for the game and that we can play a decade into the future like KSP1.

5 hours ago, Flush Foot said:

And/or "create an uncrewed station orbiting Kerbin [or The Mun] with 'X' amount of Methalox and 'Y' amount of antennas" followed by "dock to the station with a newly-launched crewed vehicle to bring it online".

That's perfectly fine for side missions - when colony update arrives. Except those weird "with x amount of y" requirements as they're more often than not just ridiculous (and pointless). Main missions give you a general path to follow. Side missions introduce you to new mechanics. I think there's one where you have to put a ship in GKO? There's one that teaches you that you can operate a jet engine on Laythe (though the implementation is stupid because you actually learn nothing, since the only requirement is "turn on a jet in Laythe atmo" so you can literally drop a small probe with an engine, methane tank and a parachute to complete the mission). Sadly, one that teaches docking ain't there yet, but I'm sure it will be since it's essential skill in orbital construction.

1 hour ago, Presto200 said:

Here's to hoping that them specifically saying "Primary" means that there will be expansion of side missions

They asked for feedback on missions for ideas before. I recall mention that part of the hold back on more missions was the logic to evaluate the objectives are met. As they implement these, I'm sure we will see new side mission types. For example, I could imagine a case where we get an "Observe an eclipse on a body other than Kerbin". They just haven't written the code to detect this event to make this a mission.

2 hours ago, Presto200 said:

I think every roadmap milestone (besides multiplayer) will bring more missions

That'd be a shame. Imagine, multiplayer specific mission objectives!

1 hour ago, The Aziz said:

Sadly, one that teaches docking ain't there yet

This was one I submitted to the mission/tutorial feedback threads. I wasn't the only one either, so I would expect it's high up on the priority list for addition.

• Community Manager

To clarify, Gwen's message says that the plan is to not make any changes to the existing primary mission sequence. It does not say that there will not be any new missions added on. There are a solid number of missions coming in Colonies.

15 minutes ago, Dakota said:

There are a solid number of missions coming in Colonies

Yessss! Colonization missions. Finding indigenous creatures on Duna, colonizing them, and shoving them in spice mines to produce interstellar fuel. Right?

3 hours ago, Dakota said:

To clarify, Gwen's message says that the plan is to not make any changes to the existing primary mission sequence. It does not say that there will not be any new missions added on. There are a solid number of missions coming in Colonies.

Thank you. That's excellent to hear.

But I do hope there will be missions added to the initial set, before a player has progressed to colonies. The current set leaves a lot of agency progression gaps. We've given this feedback enough times, feels dumb taking the time to write it again.

Edited by PASSthe40

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.