Some Improvements on the Way

10 minutes ago, Gorby1 said:

Why is everyone saying that KSP 2 is "dead"? Didn't they announce after the layoffs that KSP2 is still  being worked on?

Boy, it's all an illusion. Start playing World of Tank or World of Warship. 

3 minutes ago, dprostock said:

Boy, it's all an illusion. Start playing World of Tank or World of Warship. 

I'm not sure what you mean, the post is still up on Twitter: 

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Gorby1 said:

I'm not sure what you mean, the post is still up on Twitter: 

Cause this can be interpreted any number of ways:

1) Hard at work until June and that’s it.

2) Hard at work doing absolutely nothing.

3) Eventually hard at work with a completely new dev team.

4) Hard at work with a reduced existing dev team 

5) Hard at work figuring out who to sell the IP to.

6) Hard at work merging all branches together and slapping a 1.0 on it  

and so on  

Edited by MechBFP

6 minutes ago, MechBFP said:

Cause this can be interpreted any number of ways:

1) Hard at work until June and that’s it.

2) Hard at work doing absolutely nothing.

3) Eventually hard at work with a completely new dev team.

4) Hard at work with a reduced existing dev team 

5) Hard at work figuring out who to sell the IP to.

6) Hard at work merging all branches together and slapping a 1.0 on it  

and so on  

I agree with all of those 'could be' scenarios. I would like to think it's 1) at the bare minimum.

Back when our old Yard was closing, we were all essentially jobless on *insert date*, there wasn't anyone who didn't still give it their all because at the end of the day, we owed that to our customer to deliver the work that we were being paid to do.

I can't imagine professionals in a given field just, sitting around even during their final months in their given role. So, I'd like to think at an absolute minimum, the developers are still well, developing until their roles officially end. Even then if Take Two were being honest when they said Kerbal Space Program is safe, then it's also gotta be either 3) or 4), or 4) until 3) comes into effect.

As much as Take Two are 'big bad' corporate types, it's a big public relations risk, on their part to broadcast for the world to see that a project is safe, and then have lied about it and cancelled it.

There's one thing that matters to corporations, especially those of which who highlight their 'Best Place to Work' awards on Linkedin, is reputation.

Coming across as deceitful, and/or disingenuous could genuinely hit their bottom line somewhere down the line, and you can guarantee that statement is saved by some incase they do in-fact go back on their word. It's extremely dangerous business practice to risk such a thing in a world where a single Tweet can snowball, spiral out of control. I've seen companies sustain irreparable damage due to the social media world and public opinion. So I'd honestly urge Take Two to be sincere on their intentions here.

It could be the case that, looking at progress made, time taken and funding, Take Two have decided that Intercept as a studio just isn't up to the task at hand and think perhaps another team might be. As positive as I 'was' feeling about the game, with Nate's quite excited tone in his most recent update, would you blame Take Two if that's what was deduced? Has Intercept Games done enough to validate it's existence, and stewardship of the IP?

Well that twitter (X ) post is cause for some optimism, with a very large helping of 'prepare for bad news and don't get any hopes up'.

It's very likely  that they can't give any details for legal reasons until all personnel affected have clarity on their own situations.  And it would be 'bad form' to do so anyway.  

And, if they are planning on continuing in some way, the details are possibly still in some sort of flux until all staff being retained/reshuffled have accepted their respective positions anyway.

The only reality is that getting something cheaper than Seattle and that knows how to work is in Moscow, leaders in C++, and we know that's not going to happen.

3 hours ago, Gorby1 said:

Why is everyone saying that KSP 2 is "dead"? Didn't they announce after the layoffs that KSP2 is still  being worked on?

Firing every single person who has been working on Ksp 2 for the past five years is a pretty clear move. That was corpo speak for "We'll do maybe one bugfix and leave the ip to rot."

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Infinite Aerospace said:

I can't imagine professionals in a given field just, sitting around even during their final months in their given role. So, I'd like to think at an absolute minimum, the developers are still well, developing until their roles officially end.

This was more so referring to if they all got locked out of the office (not literally, but you know what I mean) so they couldn't do anything further.

Edited by MechBFP

5 hours ago, Gorby1 said:

The official wording is that "the label continues to make updates". You'd quickly realize that the label wasn't the one making updates, and that they fired the people that was working on those updates. Plus they dropped these news on Tuesday, we're on friday now and there's no word about it.

It's dead. Accept it and move on.

8 hours ago, Gorby1 said:

I've been playing KSP1 - RP-1 for months now, come back to the forum to see what's going on, wonder why the moderators suddenly let everything pass (really, they did all that work for free for years, and paid for the forum server and all that? Hats off gentlemen!) and everyone says that KSP2 is dead... I think I missed something... :-D or maybe not...  has something happened ?

Posted (edited)
On 5/3/2024 at 1:54 PM, NexusHelium said:

Nothing anyone says is right or wrong. The "facts" to face are that we simply don't know what's going to happen.

Look, I get that its taught nowadays that everyone's opinion is equal and valid and lets have a discussion, but this is on the same level as geocentrism versus heliocentrism. Or Intelligent Design versus Evolution. The game is DEAD, the studio is DEAD! There are times when you do NOT have to consider all outcomes. For instance in a trainwreck, you don't usually consider the possibility that everything is A-Ok! I hope the metaphor sinks in.

Edited by Meecrob

The game was supposed to be dead 4 years ago when Star Theory was kicked out of development. It wasn't.

Since none of the official sources explicitly say it's gone (they even say otherwise), then it can be assumed that it's not.

So instead of shouting at the screen desperately trying to convince people that it's dead, you could just move on, as there's nothing for you here anymore, right? Cuz it's dead or something. 

8 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

The game was supposed to be dead 4 years ago when Star Theory was kicked out of development. It wasn't.

Since none of the official sources explicitly say it's gone (they even say otherwise), then it can be assumed that it's not.

So instead of shouting at the screen desperately trying to convince people that it's dead, you could just move on, as there's nothing for you here anymore, right? Cuz it's dead or something. 

This would explain why the current or last team didn’t do much in the way of progressing through the roadmap. It could be it’s a filler team so they didn’t cancel at that time but it inevitably reached the same fate without a more competent team than the one it replaced. 

Progression through the roadmap would've been faster if they didn't have to deal with countless bugs. Without them we would be now on our way to interstellar.

If they speedran through the roadmap we would have a game with lots of content, new and old, that doesn't work properly.

1 hour ago, The Aziz said:

Do we know if any of the work Star Theory did was ported over to Intercept Games or did IG have to start from scratch?

You can check the old footage from 2019-2020, and extrapolate from that. What we know for sure was that a chunk of the team decided to continue with the project so I'd say that they took some of their work with them to IG. But that's a guess based only on pictures and videos of the game from back then. Nobody can tell what happened to the code part of it.

2 hours ago, The Aziz said:

So... basically your assumptions are valid, anyone else who disagrees with you is wrong. Got it. Also they're shouting because you're clearly the only calm person.

13 minutes ago, PDCWolf said:

So... basically your assumptions are valid, anyone else who disagrees with you is wrong. Got it. Also they're shouting because you're clearly the only calm person.

It's even funnier if you consider the "source" those assumptions are based on. At this point, a back-alley fortune teller asking for money up front is more trustworthy. More accurate too, probably.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, PDCWolf said:

The  strange thing is I keep seeing people telling other people to "move on" every time they say it is dead. Like what business it is of theirs if that person they are talking to "moves on" or not? Much less why would they care in the first place if they do?

Imagine someone walking into the local sports bar of your cities favorite team and getting up on the table and telling everyone to "move on" from the game being broadcast on TV because the team looks like they are going to lose. A funny sight to behold for sure, but strange all the same.

Edited by MechBFP

Just now, MechBFP said:

The  strange thing is I keep seeing people telling other people to "move on" every time they say it is dead. Like what business it is of theirs if that person they are talking to "moves on" or not? Much less why would they care in the first place if they do?

I find it funnier that the people who do that aren't moving on themselves

5 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

It's even funnier if you consider the "source" those assumptions are based on.

There are no other sources of information. Everyone takes it from the same places, and there's barely any room for interpretation a clear message. But media create their clickbaity articles based on those sources, and emotional people scream and shout based on those articles. The end result is similar to a game of chinese whispers.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, The Aziz said:

They fired everyone. 

They had to because the development was led by someone who is wholly incompetent, with a history of fleecing customers, which you can only do for so long before people stop giving you money. 

Once you run out of money, you can't pay people to sit their wide-load on a chair in a west coast office and inject social justice into a video game about rockets. 

So, yes, it is dead. Nobody works there ...and if the trashy code base and remerging bugs are any testament, they barely did any work from the get go. 

Honestly, the $50 early access price was a master caution light from the beginning. It was simply a way to fleece customers. 

Edited by Meatsauce

Posted (edited)
On 5/4/2024 at 10:10 AM, cocoscacao said:

I wonder if we're ever gonna get an official response. 

The more one is lacking, the more they are telling us.

KSP 2 is dead.

Edited by Carraux
Forgot a 2

2 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

Also I don't recall anyone around here saying anything like "You guys need to stay, the game isn't dead!"

Everyone else is pretty much just like "Ya it might be dead, it might not be dead, no one knows based on the current information. Do what you want with that information.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ "

6 minutes ago, MechBFP said:

Imagine someone walking into the local sports bar of your cities favorite team and getting up on the table and telling everyone to "move on" from the game being broadcast on TV because the team looks like they are going to lose. A funny sight to behold for sure, but strange all the same.

1 minute ago, The Aziz said:

As I was saying, some people really like to assume things, and assume their assumptions are right. This forum still hosts the community of a whole another game, for example, and they're just as free to roam around threads and make their opinions know. Now, that some people would prey on others to sell their snake oil and divinations of some magical event allowing KSP2 to continue, and I'm sure as hell would laud a rushed 1.0 as the proof of them being right, is really funny to watch.

Hopefully we'll get concrete news tomorrow, which is personally why I still bother with this side of the forum... that and the people spreading borderline misinformation based on nothing but wishful thinking.