My Patience has run out, now I am just disgusted.

Posted (edited)

Let me just quote a famous climate rights activist here and say to PD, and Take 2.. "How Dare You."

As Matt Lowne said on Twitter earlier today, I am so utterly sick of the secrecy that surrounded this project from day one. All we got today was a spokesperson saying, "We continue to make updates to the label" and "we have no further comment."

WHAT UPDATES TO THE LABLE?

You've destroyed dozens of peoples lives and made NO mention of if any of them are being absorbed in to PD, or saying if the Franchise has been moved to yet another developer, or given us ANY information what so ever of any real substance. You're not making the next big AAA game here, you're making a Sequel to a beloved game and you're spitting on the memory and work of many dozens if not many hundreds of people over a decade. I look back at my time with KSP1 and Harv's dream, and what C7, Mu, Nova, Skunky, RoverDude, myself, and many many others dreamed of and this is NOT IT. 

I have criticized your communication, leadership, and organization since day one, and while I still attempt to remain positive, I am going to KEEP doing it, because this is an absolute disgrace. You have failed at every single turn, to treat this community the way they deserved to be treated. The way the people that came before you treated them and none of us had made a game before. 

So, what's next? ANSWER US. 

GIVE, US, REAL, HONEST, OPEN, COMMUNICATION. 

To the rest of the community, I am sorry, truly I am. I hate to be loosing my temper like this, but this is just not it. It's cringe, I know, but I am MAD. To the Mod Team, many apologies if this is out of line, but I needed to vent.

To the IG team that has had their lives destroyed by corporate greed and mismanagement, and are now struggling to figure out what comes next? My heart breaks for you and I truly hope you find something, or some miracle happens, that lets you really shine in this broken mess of an industry that we all love.

TO PD and Take Two? You get nothing from me but contempt and anger. You deserve every single ounce of it. (No this does not include Dakota or other PD Employees that were working on KSP2 alongside IG, they did the best they could with what they had. I am talking to Senior Leadership here. Please understand that.)

Edited by RayneCloud

6 minutes ago, RayneCloud said:

You've destroyed dozens of peoples lives and made NO mention of if any of them are being absorbed in to PD, or saying if the Franchise has been moved to yet another developer, or given us ANY information what so ever of any real substance. 

Steady on. No one's dying. They haven't destroyed anyone's lives. The folks who are losing their jobs will move on to other things. 

9 minutes ago, RayneCloud said:

You're not making the next big AAA game here, you're making a Sequel to a beloved game and you're spitting on the memory and work of dozens of people over a decade.

The fact that they funded development for 6-7 years and even went to all the effort of bringing development in-house indicates they respected the Kerbal IP and the brilliant work on the original game. They clearly wanted to replicate the first game's success, but despite chucking millions of dollars at the problem they were unable to. And they couldn't go on funding a failing dev team forever; what happened to Intercept Games is far more on Nate Simpson and the team around him than the publisher.

16 minutes ago, RayneCloud said:

Yeah, I'm completely with you here. But at the end of the day, they're probably just going through the standard corporate steps for shuttering a division. Radio silence for a while probably, just bland corporate statements.

18 minutes ago, RayneCloud said:

To the IG team that has had their lives destroyed by corporate greed, mismanagement, and are now struggling to figure out what comes next? My heart breaks for you and I truly hope you find something, or some miracle happens, that lets you really shine in this broken mess of an industry that we all love.

Like I said, no-one is dying. It's not the end of the world. They'll all bounce back, either finding new jobs inside the game industry or elsewhere.

20 minutes ago, RayneCloud said:

TO PD and Take Two? You get nothing from me but contempt and anger. You deserve every single ounce of it. (No this does not include Dakota or other PD Employees that were working on KSP2 alongside IG, they did the best they could with what they had. I am talking to Senior Leadership here. Please understand that.)

See, why does Dakota and the other CM get a pass? They've been right little corporate lapdogs the past few months, assuring us everything is fine and going smoothly, yet now cowardly say nothing in the hope this will earn them sort of pat on the back from their corporate overlords, maybe a token PR job at Private Division Marketing once this all blows over and they help organise the dissolution of Intercept Games. Personally, I have far more ill feeling towards some of the individual devs than I do the corporate executives who simply thought KSP2 would earn the company money. The game failed because of poor game development by Intercept Games, not the publisher who plowed tons of money and resources into the project.

I totally agree on the (lack of) communication.  This is a real jerk move towards the player base, even by AAA standards.  That's AAA publishers for you, always lowering the bar.

I disagree on the "corporate greed" part though.  When a team just can't deliver, it makes no sense to keep funding them.  It's unfortunate and disruptive for the junior team members just doing the tasks assigned to them at the speed and quality expected of them, and I feel for them (been there), but then as an industry we understand that a failed project isn't any sort of black mark on the resume of a junior dev.  Long term, staying with a bad team teaches bad practices, which is career poison.  Better to move to a team that does things right and learn how a good shop is run, much as the next few months will suck. 

2 minutes ago, Westinghouse said:

Steady on. No one's dying. They haven't destroyed anyone's lives. The folks who are losing their jobs will move on to other things. 

The fact that they funded development for 6-7 years and even went to all the effort of bringing development in-house indicates they respected the Kerbal IP and the brilliant work on the original game. They clearly wanted to replicate the first game's success, but despite chucking millions of dollars at the problem they were unable to. And they couldn't go on funding a failing dev team forever; what happened to Intercept Games is far more on Nate Simpson and the team around him than the publisher.

Yeah, I'm completely with you here. But at the end of the day, they're probably just going through the standard corporate steps for shuttering a division. Radio silence for a while probably, just bland corporate statements.

Like I said, no-one is dying. It's not the end of the world. They'll all bounce back, either finding new jobs inside the game industry or elsewhere.

See, why does Dakota and the other CM get a pass? They've been right little corporate lapdogs the past few months, assuring us everything is fine and going smoothly, yet now cowardly say nothing in the hope this will earn them sort of pat on the back from their corporate overlords, maybe a token PR job at Private Division Marketing once this all blows over and they help organise the dissolution of Intercept Games. Personally, I have far more ill feeling towards some of the individual devs than I do the corporate executives who simply thought KSP2 would earn the company money. The game failed because of poor game development by Intercept Games, not the publisher who plowed tons of money and resources into the project.

Some of what you've said in here, is incredibly dismissive and patronizing. I have had several friends loose their jobs over the last year, and some of which have ended up homeless. The rest of this is just assuming I don't understand how any of this works after 10+ years in this industry, and that's just not the case. I never said anyone was dying, I said peoples lives have been destroyed and that is a fact. Having to figure out what comes next in this situation is a nightmare, one I've been through multiple times as studios went bankrupt or shut down. I've had it happen 3 times since my time with KSP and it's always a disaster. 

As to the comments about Nate? I have issues with his leadership of this project as well. I'll keep it polite.

With Dakota? As a former CM, what would you expect me to do in this situation? Loose my job to tell you things I am being ordered to not tell you? Dakota gets a "Pass" because going against their orders would have cost them their job, that's not being a "lap dog" and that's an incredibly childish thing to say.

5 minutes ago, Westinghouse said:

See, why does Dakota and the other CM get a pass? They've been right little corporate lapdogs the past few months, assuring us everything is fine and going smoothly, yet now cowardly say nothing ...

Because that's the job.  If they told us stuff not approved by corporate, they'd be bad CMs.  They work for the company, not for you.  Plus, you're unfairly assuming they still have control of their accounts.

I only lurked for most of KSP1, but I really do want to say that @RayneCloudall of your work for this franchise (paid, and then just as an enthusiastic fan) has really been appreciated. 

I got nostalgic with some of the names you mentioned in your post. I hope they’re all doing well as well as all of those affected by this change. I’m with you, I’m quite upset with the situation and PD/Take Two but am trying to remember the rather small bad news I got compared to those who (assumedly) lost their livelihoods. Really do wish all of them the best.

Your continued persistence in optimism has made me more positive. And your well worded, kind, and earnest (in that it’s coming from a place that genuinely wants KSP2 to succeed) criticisms at times have spoken what I and others were trying to say just so much better. 

So thank you, and I agree. This much of a gap in communication is disrespectful not just to us fans, but more importantly to the dozens of people who worked hard at this game who now have to figure their ways forward.

10 minutes ago, RayneCloud said:

I have had several friends loose their jobs over the last year, and some of which have ended up homeless. The rest of this is just assuming I don't understand how any of this works after 10+ years in this industry, and that's just not the case. I never said anyone was dying, I said peoples lives have been destroyed and that is a fact. Having to figure out what comes next in this situation is a nightmare, one I've been through multiple times as studios went bankrupt or shut down. I've had it happen 3 times since my time with KSP and it's always a disaster.

That's the software development industry, though.  I understand it coming as a shock the first time someone gets ambushed by a layoff.  In part, that's on us senior people for not communicating it well to the junior people on the team, as part of mentoring about the industry as a whole.  I think I failed in that way.

But software development is simply not an industry in which you can expect continuous employment.  We have it better than actors or construction workers for sure, jobs can last years at a time.  While I believe anyone in any job should try to have 6 months living expenses saved up for when things go bad, that's doubly true for dev work.  You will spend months unemployed, so be ready either with savings or another job to fall back on.  I used to work with a guy would work the office job during the day and bartend at night.  I though that was silly at the time.  How wrong I was; he had it figured out.

8 minutes ago, moeggz said:

I only lurked for most of KSP1, but I really do want to say that @RayneCloudall of your work for this franchise (paid, and then just as an enthusiastic fan) has really been appreciated. 

I got nostalgic with some of the names you mentioned in your post. I hope they’re all doing well as well as all of those affected by this change. I’m with you, I’m quite upset with the situation and PD/Take Two but am trying to remember the rather small bad news I got compared to those who (assumedly) lost their livelihoods. Really do wish all of them the best.

Your continued persistence in optimism has made me more positive. And your well worded, kind, and earnest (in that it’s coming from a place that genuinely wants KSP2 to succeed) criticisms at times have spoken what I and others were trying to say just so much better. 

So thank you, and I agree. This much of a gap in communication is disrespectful not just to us fans, but more importantly to the dozens of people who worked hard at this game who now have to figure their ways forward.

Thank you. I truly loved my time with the first team, however brief it was and no matter how it ended. KSP 1 was my entry in to the gaming industry, was my first time as a CM and my first time doing things like QA, PR, etc. It gave me a lot of opportunities and truly changed my life. It pushed m in to STEM and in to spaceflight and science.  

1 hour ago, RayneCloud said:

Let me just quote a famous climate rights activist here and say to PD, and Take 2.. "How Dare You."

As Matt Lowne said on Twitter earlier today, I am so utterly sick of the secrecy that surrounded this project from day one. All we got today was a spokesperson saying, "We continue to make updates to the label" and "we have no further comment."

WHAT UPDATES TO THE LABLE?

You've destroyed dozens of peoples lives and made NO mention of if any of them are being absorbed in to PD, or saying if the Franchise has been moved to yet another developer, or given us ANY information what so ever of any real substance. You're not making the next big AAA game here, you're making a Sequel to a beloved game and you're spitting on the memory and work of many dozens if not many hundreds of people over a decade. I look back at my time with KSP1 and Harv's dream, and what C7, Mu, Nova, Skunky, RoverDude, myself, and many many others dreamed of and this is NOT IT. 

I have criticized your communication, leadership, and organization since day one, and while I still attempt to remain positive, I am going to KEEP doing it, because this is an absolute disgrace. You have failed at every single turn, to treat this community the way they deserved to be treated. The way the people that came before you treated them and none of us had made a game before. 

To the rest of the community, I am sorry, truly I am. I hate to be loosing my temper like this, but this is just not it. It's cringe, I know, but I am MAD. To the Mod Team, many apologies if this is out of line, but I needed to vent.

To the IG team that has had their lives destroyed by corporate greed and mismanagement, and are now struggling to figure out what comes next? My heart breaks for you and I truly hope you find something, or some miracle happens, that lets you really shine in this broken mess of an industry that we all love.

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b9528wvcxhv2qkb6c7j5ls

19 minutes ago, RayneCloud said:

Some of what you've said in here, is incredibly dismissive and patronizing. I have had several friends loose their jobs over the last year, and some of which have ended up homeless. The rest of this is just assuming I don't understand how any of this works after 10+ years in this industry, and that's just not the case. I never said anyone was dying, I said peoples lives have been destroyed and that is a fact. Having to figure out what comes next in this situation is a nightmare, one I've been through multiple times as studios went bankrupt or shut down. I've had it happen 3 times since my time with KSP and it's always a disaster. 

I really wasn't being patronising, I was pointing out that no lives have been destroyed here. Thousands of game developers have lost their jobs over the last twelve months, many of whom would have been working on far more viable projects than KSP2 yet were still laid off due to the industry downturn. As @Skorj says, the laid off devs will be in for a rough few months, but they will all regroup and survive. Many of them are way too skilled to remain unemployed for too long, even if that might mean taking job offers outside the game industry. 

As for Dakota and the role of a Community Manager, I really think the job title is a cozy word for PR - 'Public Relations'. Their job is to sell the game and defend the game's development, and all importantly defend the corporate interests of Private Division and Take Two. Whether you like it or not, railing against the corporate monolith of the publisher is just damning Dakota the same, they are agents of the corporate overlord. (obviously things were probably different with you at Squad back in the day, but that's a different indie world back there).

Wow. Just wow. 
what I see here is an incredibly passionate community about a game. 
I think this is why this EA costs 50$, because some people here really see KSP as part of their life.

all they had to do is to give the slightest hint that they care about users and genuinely involve this community.

you can’t possibly fail this bad with such an easy shot all lined up for you and prepared to go.

The target audience was there, the game concept was there, the heaps of use feedback is there the tons of mods are there and you can very easily understand from those mods what people want in KSP2.

it is literally a no brainer IF your true intent is to give people what they want and make a profit off of it in the process.

which leads me to either incompetence or malicious intent or both  

I had some experience with this kind of situation in my career.

I would not surprise to learn that people working on KSP 2 don't have more information than we have. They just continue their daily job until further notice.

For the people knowing something, they have order to not communicate internally or even more externally. Where I live, it's a legal obligation because you have to follow a specific path for a lay-off plan, any communication about the plan coming from an uncontrolled way can be used in justice to block it. I'm not an expert about US legal aspect, but it's a point to consider for external communication.

For communication about the game development, I don't expect anything before the situation calm down. I think they are just waiting that everyone accept the fact that the game will very probably not be delivered.

At some point, we will probably a communication about the release of the 0.2.2 patch (because they continue to work on it) and a notification about the end of KSP 2 development. This without any detail given about difficulties or anything else.

4 hours ago, Westinghouse said:

[...]

Maybe yes, maybe no. Loosing your job can really really suck. It really depends on individual circumstances how easy it is to bounce back.

Personally, I have far more ill feeling towards some of the individual devs than I do the corporate executives who simply thought KSP2 would earn the company money. The game failed because of poor game development by Intercept Games, not the publisher who plowed tons of money and resources into the project.

agree.

I was *almost* about to buy KSP2. I hadn't because I had limited personal time, and the game still seemed to be buggy and offer less features than KSP 1 - with its only selling point being better graphics. I had really high hopes for KSP2, but the EA release also gave me big concerns. I have been silent on KSP2 (since the metallic hydrogen issue :p) because I didn't want my negativity to sabotage a game that I hoped could be saved.

If they had simply remade KSP1 with 1) better optimization, 2) less bugs,  and 3) better graphics, that would have been enough for me to buy it. They delivered 1 out of 3, and get a -1 for having less features than KSP (robotics, mod support).

If they had added colonies, I could have forgiven some misisng KSP 1 features, or some bugs.

On release, it had more bugs, less features, worse performance. KSP1's performance had always been mainly CPU limuted, not GPU limited, so I can't even give them a pass for the poor performance being due to better graphics (which I assume could be turned down).

As I understand, with the For Science update, the performance/optimization had improved (I don't know how it compared to KSP1 ), and some bugs were fixed (though many remained). At this point, I was considering buying it, even though by all indications, colonies or any "new features" relative to KSP 1 were still looking like they were over a year away, it still lacked KSP1 feautres that I really like (robotics!), and still had many bugs not present in KSP1.

The publisher gave them more than enough time. The team did not lack for resources - they had far more resources than KSP 1 ever did. They had access to KSP1's code and assets. Yet in all this time, they only managed to give a graphic overhaul to KSP1, which breaking core parts of the game and failing to add anything really new.

There was turnover in the dev team, so the common denominator was not the dev team in general. The common denominator was the dev team leadership, and that is where the blame lies.

They oversaw a project that squandered lots of time and resources with only a pretty but buggy and neutered version of KSP1 to show for it.

They still hadn't even conceptually solved many of the problems: How was multiplayer going to work? How were Rask and Rusk supposed to work without N-body physics? how were interstellar transfers supposed to work (the thrust while under time acceleration was a big let down, CODE does a better job, and its not even for interstellar transfers)?

This was failure of the development team, which means it was a failure of the head of development.

10 minutes ago, GGG-GoodGuyGreg said:

you can’t possibly fail this bad with such an easy shot all lined up for you and prepared to go.

The target audience was there, the game concept was there, the heaps of use feedback is there the tons of mods are there and you can very easily understand from those mods what people want in KSP2.

it is literally a no brainer IF your true intent is to give people what they want and make a profit off of it in the process.

which leads me to either incompetence or malicious intent or both  

"Easy shot" is relative.

Nate bit off more than he could chew. I'll give him credit for being ambitious with KSP2, but in shooting for the stars, he crashed on the launchpad.

5 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

They still hadn't even conceptually solved many of the problems: How was multiplayer going to work? How were Rask and Rusk supposed to work without N-body physics? how were interstellar transfers supposed to work (the thrust while under time acceleration was a big let down, CODE does a better job, and its not even for interstellar transfers)?

If I remember right Nate said somewhere in the early days that they check with the multiplayer devs constantly how everything should be built from the ground up to accommodate it, but there was never any indication of what it's going to even look like. Local hosts or IG hosted servers, just 2 players in the same world or a hundred or how does timewarp work or anything like that. To me that was a sign that they had no design plan whatsoever and were just hoping that they can somehow cobble it together when the time comes. 

27 minutes ago, NH4Cl Enthusiast said:

If I remember right Nate said somewhere in the early days that they check with the multiplayer devs constantly how everything should be built from the ground up to accommodate it, but there was never any indication of what it's going to even look like. Local hosts or IG hosted servers, just 2 players in the same world or a hundred or how does timewarp work or anything like that. To me that was a sign that they had no design plan whatsoever and were just hoping that they can somehow cobble it together when the time comes. 

Personally I don't think multiplayer should have even been a thing. I'd much rather have a game that is as good as it can be, not one that is suitable for multiplayer. It's been a thing that has negatively impacted a lot of games over the years, catering for a need to be multiplayer. Kerbal should have remained a strictly single player experience IMO.

59 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

"Easy shot" is relative.

Nate bit off more than he could chew. I'll give him credit for being ambitious with KSP2, but in shooting for the stars, he crashed on the launchpad.

He had to be "ambitious" in order to justify a 50$ EA.

But what you read as "ambitious" I read as hyping it without being sure he has what it takes to pull it off.

22 minutes ago, Infinite Aerospace said:

Personally I don't think multiplayer should have even been a thing. I'd much rather have a game that is as good as it can be, not one that is suitable for multiplayer. It's been a thing that has negatively impacted a lot of games over the years, catering for a need to be multiplayer. Kerbal should have remained a strictly single player experience IMO.

Yeah I agree, I don't even understand what people think they would be doing with it but then again some people have been incredibly excited about it so what do I know. Obviously without a doubt back before starting development they did a comprehensive market analysis and actually confirmed that the multiplayer crowd is big enough to warrant such an investment...

10 minutes ago, NH4Cl Enthusiast said:

Yeah I agree, I don't even understand what people think they would be doing with it but then again some people have been incredibly excited about it so what do I know. Obviously without a doubt back before starting development they did a comprehensive market analysis and actually confirmed that the multiplayer crowd is big enough to warrant such an investment...

I just don't see how it works without seriously hampering other gameplay elements. But, you're right there must have been a case for it.

59 minutes ago, NH4Cl Enthusiast said:

Well, it could be they wanted to write the code to make sure they could model other vessels under control of a connected player, within the physics bubble, and in the tracking station view. That seems to be the bare minimum for multiplayer. I'll also note that KSP 1 multiplayer mods already accomplish at least the physics bubble thing (I don't really know, I never used them, only watched a few youtube videos)

30 minutes ago, Infinite Aerospace said:

Meh, It could have had its uses. I like doing multistage but recoverable craft - its hard working with the contstraints of the physics bubble and the things on rails getting deleted in atmospheres. I think there are stage recovery mods for that though.

I could also imagine some fun with flying aircraft carriers, etc. Certainly not a make or break function

It was never a big priority for me, but just an example of them not even having the concept down.

7 minutes ago, GGG-GoodGuyGreg said:

But what you read as "ambitious" I read as hyping it without being sure he has what it takes to pull it off.

Hype and ambition aren't mutually exclusive. I agree he didn't have what it took to pull it off ("bit off more than he could chew")

6 minutes ago, NH4Cl Enthusiast said:

Yeah I agree, I don't even understand what people think they would be doing with it but then again some people have been incredibly excited about it so what do I know. 

I had some ideas for mission profiles that require two craft to be under active control. I could imagine some kind of matchmaking service to try and pull them off, starting from the host's quicksave.

It would be nice, but something peripheral, not the main focus of the game. To reiterate: It was never a big priority for me, but just an example of them not even having the concept down.

6 hours ago, RayneCloud said:

Some of what you've said in here, is incredibly dismissive and patronizing. I have had several friends loose their jobs over the last year, and some of which have ended up homeless.

Well, you really have to be a bad developer to end up homeless. I never heard of such occasions. I mean, yes, it is a bit harder now but i think a dev always finds a job, at the end maybe switches technology and enviroment of programming. But homeless, no.

Destroyed lives? I don't know but layoffs happens all the time. And new emplyments also. Yes i am compassionate about layoffs, but they have 2 months grace period and i am pretty sure everbody will be ok.

It's not like they are in coal mining industry or something it's on the verge of existence.

23 minutes ago, Siska said:

Well, you really have to be a bad developer to end up homeless. I never heard of such occasions. I mean, yes, it is a bit harder now but i think a dev always finds a job, at the end maybe switches technology and enviroment of programming. But homeless, no.

Destroyed lives? I don't know but layoffs happens all the time. And new emplyments also. Yes i am compassionate about layoffs, but they have 2 months grace period and i am pretty sure everbody will be ok.

It's not like they are in coal mining industry or something it's on the verge of existence.

Yeah, okay, cool. You have fun now.

10 hours ago, Westinghouse said:

It's very unlikely we'll hear anything right up until confirmation of shutdown for the project or the selection of a new developer. Certainly TTI isn't going to say anything that isn't 100% definitive, and all the current/prior devs are under NDA and I'm sure want to keep any severance.

I agree that OP's comment about "destroying lives" seems a bit hyperbolic, but it's certainly impactful for the 70 people who are impacted by the closure, and for some I'm sure it's a real hardship. I hope they all bounce back quickly and are able to move on to something else that pays well and is personally rewarding to them.

Regardless of how KSP2 was managed, I really appreciate the effort the team put in, and I wish it had worked out better for them, the studio, and the fans. 

@Siska - you don't have to be a bad developer, you just have to have bad luck. Not to mention there are good devs out there who have trouble finding work due to being "too old", having a disability, or "not fitting in to our culture here". I wouldn't say that's the usual case, but it definitely happens, and for people in those shoes, having to find another job is much more disruptive.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Siska said:

I don't know if this is youth or sheltered life speaking.

It does not take much economic upheaval to disrupt a person's life. You have no idea what is going on behind the scenes. Whether there's divorce or fresh out of college with a pile of debt.

In recent years there have been an unprecedented number of developers laid off, not to mention the many thousand creative / infrastructure peoples similiarly impacted. 

With corporate greed and an increasing reliance on various AI models for automation.. guaranteed work in the coming / years is not a give.

Your comments suggest a distinct lack of adversity in your life.

Though I do not wish specific hardships on anyone, the 2 years I spent homeless offered a great deal of perspective.

Edited by Fizzlebop Smith

21 minutes ago, Fizzlebop Smith said:

I don't know if this is youth or sheltered life speaking.

It does not take much economic upheaval to disrupt a person's life. You have no idea what is going on behind the scenes. Whether there's divorce or fresh out of college with a pile of debt.

In recent years there have been an unprecedented number of developers laid off, not to mention the many thousand creative / infrastructure peoples similiarly impacted. 

With corporate greed and an increasing reliance on various AI models for automation.. guaranteed work in the coming / years is not a give.

Your comments suggest a distinct lack of adversity in your life.

Though I do not wish specific hardships on anyone, the 2 years I spent homeless offered a great deal of perspective.

I am project manager with 15 developers and 6 designers in my team working in field for 15 years (not gaming). My experience is that you never layoff workers that do a good job. If cuts come, you layoff the ones that contributed the least. Maybe whole studio did not contribute much as such. I am compassionate with people that loss their job. Heck we even employ people as long as it had to for them to find another job. So much for not giving a damn. I plainly said that these things happen and people have to adapt. Did anyone cried for all the programmers that google laid off on last year and a half? As much as i see on forum people were blaiming devs for everything while i mantained distance from that and blaimed bad management. As for AI, people that know basic programming will be impacted as for true developers and engineers i don't think there is any worry. And as from my experience, not a single programmer that knows how to do it's job wasn't without one for more than a month. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.