S&Sf crew; fallback forum community?

I'm hoping we can continue to interact here, but if not... Is there a good alternative Science and Spaceflight FORUM (not Discord - too old / no patience) that you might recommend? 

Would really enjoy being able to continue with you all should these forums implode!

57 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

I'm hoping we can continue to interact here, but if not... Is there a good alternative Science and Spaceflight FORUM (not Discord - too old / no patience) that you might recommend? 

Would really enjoy being able to continue with you all should these forums implode!

Well, we could always start a LISTSERV with several parallel topics, lol, or a FIDOnet node

1 hour ago, HebaruSan said:

I've heard good things about https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/, but I haven't tried it myself.

NASA Spaceflight is far harder-edged. Pedants and no-fun-alloweds abound, even in the Advanced Concepts subforum. There are actual rocket scientists in there and they do not let you forget it. The 'fun' thread of designing a rotating space station is plagued with forum bunfights.

Put my vote in for Orbiter Forum; seems to have the right mix of enthusiasm and science nerdery.

6 hours ago, darthgently said:

Well, we could always start a LISTSERV with several parallel topics, lol, or a FIDOnet node

And USENET as backup. :)

4 hours ago, AckSed said:

Put my vote in for Orbiter Forum; seems to have the right mix of enthusiasm and science nerdery.

2 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Meanwhile, the orbiter forum users, waiting for the Kerbal horde invasion:

Oh, boy... Xyon is going to have my liver for dinner due this... :)

--- -- - - -- ---

Now on the serious side. Apparently, Orbiter Forum is running costing ~240USD a month - or at least, this is the current goal for donations.

Perhaps Forum could try a similar stunt?

5 hours ago, AckSed said:

NASA Spaceflight is far harder-edged. Pedants and no-fun-alloweds abound, even in the Advanced Concepts subforum. There are actual rocket scientists in there and they do not let you forget it.

There are "actual rocket scientists" here too, except not all of us have sticks up our backsides.

11 minutes ago, Exoscientist said:

This forum worked perfectly fine with KSP1, why does the failure of KSP2 threaten it?

Bob Clark

No KSP being marketed, no incentive for the publisher to pay to keep the forum online.

21 minutes ago, Exoscientist said:

But wasn’t that the case also with KSP1?

Bob Clark

Metaphorically, to put it one way, KSP2 failed its full duration test.

Additionally, KSP1 is out of fashion wrt expected visual, sound design, and UI standards.  Some see it as skater-shorts in a skinny-pants world, or a crew-cut in a man-bun world.  Not me and though.  I maximally affirm KSP1's fungus frog with crew-cut and skater shorts identity

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Exoscientist said:

But wasn’t that the case also with KSP1?

Bob Clark

The difference is that by the time KSP1 stopped development, KSP2 had already started - this time, as far as we know there's no development being done at all, and the companies involved have been effectively closed down. There's no particular reason to think the forums are going be explicitly shut down, but there's no particular reason to think they'll stay up either. No-one's super clear who within Take Two is actually responsible for the forums now, if anyone, and even the moderators haven't been able to get in contact:

The forums could be around for many more years... or they might just vanish without warning. It's impossible to say at this point.

Edited by GluttonyReaper

6 hours ago, Exoscientist said:

This forum worked perfectly fine with KSP1, why does the failure of KSP2 threaten it?

Bob Clark

I agree. Additionally, it is OUR forum!

10 minutes ago, Meecrob said:

I agree. Additionally, it is OUR forum!

It's Take-Two's forum, and if they don't want to continue the expense of upkeep now that the game it concerns isn't being marketed anymore, they could literally just send a couple of emails and have it taken down.

27 minutes ago, Codraroll said:

It's Take-Two's forum, and if they don't want to continue the expense of upkeep now that the game it concerns isn't being marketed anymore, they could literally just send a couple of emails and have it taken down.

That said, it is reasonable to realize that if you remove the customer generated content from the forum there is nothing really left. 

So while the venue is certainly Take Two's, they really can't take credit for the vast majority of the content and the value it has had in supporting and generating interest in their game through the years and I hope they consider this. 

Just the endless threads wherein mods are developed and  supported has been a tremendous amount of goodwill they've been able to soak up over the years.

In this broader sense, the forums aren't "theirs" either, no more than a restaurant owner owns the conversations at the tables 

1 hour ago, Codraroll said:

they could literally just send a couple of emails and have it taken down.

Maybe this forum will be like Milton Waddums in Office Space and, by some glitch, it'll be forgotten about and thereby remain online?...

11 hours ago, Codraroll said:

Yeah, I get it, but why are we letting take two have the forum. its ours. All we gota do is chip in like $250 a month.

2 hours ago, Meecrob said:

its ours. All we gota do is chip in like $250 a month.

No, it's not. I'm not even sure there is no small text specifying all the contents posted on this forum are the property of the forum owner (aka Take Two).

Also, I doubt Take Two is willing to rent the domain name for only $250 a month.

Without the proper domain name and the forum history (past threads), it is not the same.

We should buy the FungusFrogSpacePlace.blah domain and work with the hosting service and TT to forge a transfer of ownership with no IP issues.  Moar boosters.  Never give up.  Damn the torpedoes.  This is the Kerbal/FungusFrog way

Do it for the mod forums so KSP1+mods can continue to grow.  Do it for the S&S forums.  Do it for the green children

1 hour ago, grawl said:

No, it's not. I'm not even sure there is no small text specifying all the contents posted on this forum are the property of the forum owner (aka Take Two).

Also, I doubt Take Two is willing to rent the domain name for only $250 a month.

I mean we buy it from take two. They obviously don't want it. As I said before, we have Elon Effing Musk here under a pseudonym.

1 hour ago, grawl said:

Without the proper domain name and the forum history (past threads), it is not the same.

That's my point. Take Two does not see the value in it, so we ask for it.

I definitely understand your point.

But I fear that, Take Two being Take Two, will greedily increase the price the moment they see an entity interested in buying back the domain name.

I'm not saying something should not be tried, but I would not put my hopes up on it.

1 hour ago, grawl said:

I definitely understand your point.

But I fear that, Take Two being Take Two, will greedily increase the price the moment they see an entity interested in buying back the domain name.

I'm not saying something should not be tried, but I would not put my hopes up on it.

50% chance of failure, excitement guaranteed.