Post your space station MEGATHREAD

A bit more on the realistic side of things. Not huge, but gets the job done. Luckily, Jeb hasn't destroyed it yet. Though I think he might be eating all the food. :mad:

screenshot10nt.png

Edited by Tazer

The Orbital Observatory and Science Station (OOSS) is still under construction, but it is now habitable.

vswdH2Xw_GAqnNlRkCICJFzeqDZ5Oj_Vxay3_0kYvC1K8zwTbx  byM5UqIdr_noPc8cU3I_ueThZ1LqQ1wEhuq2UTMmkWFeIL30WL  M33bacIFhgm3OyQVrjfbcw

GcDTD0aotOKZ4lWM200A2cog-6Q1NJ4eGXdY-iNRmu5isoTmQ9ulQc7jjcOgvx-MQqt0rLFC0vwWiXuHvldeiq8Em_3YAiB3Ity9qcpUuj9MeLIq0  En6JlD-oA

Hub piece

eN0wiVgFCZM3Zg-sQFzFDaG0xjR18EPCdEis_dOCiaf0KxCPUA8M9G6_1XZPfx_sz  nL6zM6jwVg62qeOMMUaImR3XTG1RsUMkGFLIoSzV4O4JSwRRYi  HAVJBUg

JTpFQl46L4n6ZAWhnUKdflpw3gfFKvZZWGFHUKEJYqOb-6pENgmm7kzmvD0J5egU1JYB8RUAl65LYxnaYa9FHKeOZEc-I_mjqpQ-IWZo5ER4eue6ExPVLwcJeg

Communications Module

00WapMKEzB5ASdc7fVzjacbOLqKjeB35wMloZ_zEilicS1UVRm  7EjD-UPJiAR0e5DrsxsnsoDwtEWSy58SGzIcor4CC8zaoTXZ0s0Rhka  KqPrTPE93TQm7Wvtg

Observatory Module

8VXjlmCRzvlfxHqK5XoeimiHOyaT3p2tYIOs5xWldUIQaei8qs  wKdD3GLJyHQw_DcgeUx4uWRN4EggHURHzCn2bCRxOULg5sezpN  t7TRS_Z57P2h5Ug0ilWRgw

The entire station as of now. Jebediah seems to like it so far, Bob isn't sure, and Bill is probably sleeping in one of the crew modules. The rocket that carried them to space will now serve as a life boat.

9dhJ35CcwZsCnoWC0H8i1GPMHluMRZqU-5Wa8SlVea7m8L1ySVPQ6ax4V0IrF9BYIkSs3RfrgNZ_iN1m1WK  hqGh0cU1gglrtIq5gPxl6WtXwSVmB7qlCC0OEWw

The 45° orbit that it is on.

I 've built space stations to be pretty before, with all sorts of solar panels and escape pods and whatnot. But my working station is shown below. I just need:

1) A place to refuel

2) A place to transfer or temporarily hold kerbals

3) A place to temporarily store some vehicle hardware on orbit.

AjKcYbO.jpg

The station itself consists of the tank farm of Big Orange Tanks and RCS fuel tanks. There are two kerbal containers. The docking ports are mounted far out to give me plenty of clearance when docking. The station originally had no lights (to save on part count), but when 0.19 came out I added the small lighting rig that is on the end of the far Big Orange Tank (so that at least half of the station is lit up and docking can be done at night if I'm in a hurry). Still connected to the lighting rig is the Mini Tug that moves things around using RCS power. The docking port on the middle left has Clamp-o-tron Junior ports (which I don't intend to use too much anymore) and port adapters that can be grabbed by the Mini Tug or other ships so that their full-size docking ports could be used to dock to Juniors if needed. Three RTGs supply the station's power needs (which are very minimal).

There are two ships docked there that aren't part of the station proper. On top is the 7-kerbal Crew Carrier SSTO that transfers crew up and down from Kerbin. On the right is a standard Nuclear Tug that currently has a crew module attached to the front (and is used to transfer kerbels six at a time to the Mün or Minmus where they can transfer to landers or such). Reusable Refueler ships would typically dock at the underside port to resupply the station.

Edited by Brotoro

Got some more.

Here's an artsy image of Fat Man and Little Boy, the dynamic Kethane mining duo, together on the dark side of the Mun. It's a quiet night up there in low Munar orbit, and the crew is playing cards in the lit cockpit. The microgravity is making keeping chips stay put difficult.

bwQlmeM.jpg

Here is Kerbimov I, one I've put in another non-station specific thread, but I felt I should put it here. It was made in ten launches, excluding the spaceplane, Dodo III, which is just visiting.

MY0CoA7.jpg

Edited by ThatBum

Here is Kerbimov I

MY0CoA7.jpg

That's a very functional design, actually. I presume you keep the long axis aligned to Normal, dock all your consumables at the far end, visiting craft dock to the end with hab and control modules, and the solar panels are able to always track the sun. Nice.

I've always favored a shorter but wider design that puts the solar panels out on a lateral truss so they are away from docking craft...

wqfqL.jpg

or

em1lZ.jpg

...but I think I'll try something more like yours next time. Variety is good. :)

Edited by RoboRay

These are my current stations, mostly built ages ago.

They were inspired by the ISS

Kerbin Space Station one:

R2R5evy.jpg

In kerbosynchronous orbit, it suffers from a lot of lag.

It's simpler to have a Kerbal leave on eva, move to a different orbit and have a ship rendezvous with them there than to dock with the station.

KSS2

In a semi-kerbosynchronous orbit.

bPFmcXk.jpg

Ya8BLYY.jpg

And the more high tech KSS3

hKNoGCO.jpgrkPim1c.jpg

My first ever station was lost after an accident made it ignore gravity.

I think they were doing warp experiments. (In reality, it was the hack gravity cheat.)

TEZSOK1.png

Now known as The Hermitage, it is the third furthest artificial object from the sun.

Oh, and also this:

8C9ZrhT.png

Butoy60.png

lXy38ad.png

4ea8A1R.jpg

hV6qqk0.png

It's the Space Opera House!

Edited by Tw1

I use them as fuel lines, mostly, or grabbing the odd ship that doesn't have a docking port. If I ever get around to constructing something huge at a station ( it'll have to be when we get a multiprocessor game core though ) I suspect they'll be handy for moving things into position, but docked components clip so you can't really hold two things and put them together.

I don't build big stations. I have a couple of orange tanks with a load of docking ports that I use as disposable fuel depots and staging posts, and I will quite often make impromptu stations around various celestial bodies out of the bits and pieces I've sent there. Reminds me, must rescue the ancient lander from my first successful Duna mission and incorporate it into my Duna station.

My Second station I finished assembling over Kerbin yesterday. My first was a bit of a failure as I struggled to dock fuel pods on single docking ports. This one was easy to assemble. I order from left to right...

Fuel pods (which can be individually detached and hauled away if required)

More fuel pods

Monoprop Pods (again, each can be detached and hauled away by ships)

Main 3-port docking arms

Command & Control and single docking ports

Solar array and micro docking ports

Note I still have a heavy tug attached to each end.

The problem with this is I intended to fly it to Minmus, but it's proven unbelievably hard to move... not just the raw power needed but it also taken some several minutes to rotate it and thrusting pushes it off course, though it should in theory be balanced. Going to try a much larger tug tonight with a stack of SAS and mainsails, if not I may be faced with re-splitting it into several parts each of which can easily be moved.

FKxdwe8.jpg

Unless you use something cunning, such as tricoupled docking (which is *hard*), flying large structures assembled in orbit doesn't work at all well, IMO. I pretty much work on the basis of shipping the bits where needed, and building them where they're going to stay.

Unless you use something cunning, such as tricoupled docking (which is *hard*), flying large structures assembled in orbit doesn't work at all well, IMO. I pretty much work on the basis of shipping the bits where needed, and building them where they're going to stay.

Tricoupled docking isn't really that hard. Just dock, aligning like normal, and get roughly aligned- chances are only one will attach, but that's fine.

With liberal usage of short bursts of timewarp to kill movement, get the ships close as possible, back straight away, and then boost back- you'll dock up all three without issue.

Tantalus Station:

0St8IL0.jpg

A fuel depot with a capacity of 15000l of liquid fuel and 18,500l of oxidizer on the fringes of Kerbin's gravitational influence, beyond the orbit of Minmus. Last stop for outbound flights that need additional fuel for their missions.

Edited by RoboRay