Post your space station MEGATHREAD

No_Doc2.jpg

Even as I put the newest pieces on this station, there are improvements and revisions needed.

Here's hoping docking get easier with experience so rebuilding this thing won't take as long.

Edited by ScarM

• 1 month later...

Spacestation5pic9.png

4-way symmetry. The radial parts are all rotated 45* to each other so they won't "clip" once you dock stuff to them.

I placed the solar panels that way so that I can keep the station oriented towards 0 or 180* nav and still get enough solar power. (1 of them is always in the dark at any given time, but the dark panel changes as the craft rotates)

Because docking is way easier when the station doesn't rotate around it's center of mass.

This was done in 3 launches:

Launch 1: Core module. Spacestation5pic1.png

The panels are oriented downwards because I'm sick of breaking solar panels during EVA as I try to board the damn thing. xD

Launch 2: RCS space tug, escape pod and large docking array.

Spacestation5pic4.png

The space tug comes with a detachable large-small docking port adapter. Launch 3 would have been impossible without it. Note that the large docking port array has an SAS module in the middle, placed roughly in the center of mass as the station grows.

Launch 3: Secondary fuel module and an expansion junction module.

Spacestation5pic6.png

Pic from the assembly. The docking port adapter is left sitting on the station as the tug flies out to receive the package.

Spacestation5pic9.png

And that's the final product, for now. I love that space tug.

The last stages of the booster rockets were docked using their main engines, then deorbited and safely recovered once most of their fuel had been transferred into the station.

8 small docking ports, 8 large docking ports. 5 open expansion slots. Lag bar is still green, and the craft doesn't even wobble if you turn off all torque sources except that SAS module in the docking array.

(I'm not sure if I got the images working properly, because the preview doesn't show them and I'm a noob at this forum. Sorry about that. I put the direct links below, plus some additional ones.)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2vn83tpyrlmvx49/Spacestation5pic1.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m4e4psq78qpgsu2/Spacestation5pic4.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/63xn2gffswlgy7k/Spacestation5pic5.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4efo8dfs1jmbrtu/Spacestation5pic6.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mfsvzjcj7caqoew/Spacestation5pic7.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j7nmfu0frcxz2tb/Spacestation5pic8.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k5kijs7e5g3ait7/Spacestation5pic9.png

(Noticed how I forgot to expand solar / comm modules in the last few pics? :P )

After seeing HOCgaming's artificial gravity ring experiments, I thought I'd have a go at making my own station :D

I gave it a quick spin and it can reliably produce 1g, but I have yet to drive a rover around it :(

*pics-snipped*

Wholy-Orbital-Cow! that thing is awesome! The ring must have taken ages and you've got it so smooth looking. I presume u made a section and then copy/pasted it, but still, that must have taken a while. I dread to think what the part count is!

This was my SkyE Lab. At its peak it had about 4 different modules attached to it. In the picture it only has the Soi Ooze attached to it showcasing one of the bugs.

bp9C2Vn.png

This is the KerOSEL, the KERbin Orbital Science & Exploratory Lab. The image is a bit dark though and you might be able see my Soi Ooze 7K-LOK docked to it.

sTPOtkt.png

I've been meaning to post some pics of this station I made in 0.21. I'm going to re-make it again but I thought I'd share some of the pics from this first version.

AptIDBrh.jpg

OnhwDXEl.jpg

It's a 18 man station, it could take about 30 but the other crewable sections are not really intended for habitation, more for access (and don't have life support).

The main thing about it (and the real reason for building it ) is it has a rotating section in the middle of the station. I wanted a station with a section in the middle that slowly turned but didn't make the rest of the station turn. The rotating section has a lander can in the middle of it, crew can move between habitable sections via the crew manifest mod and from the lander-can they can exit into the rotating area. Inside it there are a number of command chairs and science tools (and some other things that just looked cool).

In this pic you can see a guy sitting in one of the command chairs inside the rotating section.

w991O3cl.jpg

These two gifs (I think you have to click them to see them move) show it from the outside and show the view from inside it. the gif run faster than it is for real (cos I was trying to get a smaller gif size but still show a complete revolution).

pgBOtGhl.gifNFsCFBbl.gif

(ignore the SSTO docked to it. that sadly no longer works because of a change to the B9 VTOL engines, new SSTO needed!)

It has another odd feature. I designed it to not be able to store enough power to last while its out of the sun and it has a number of high power consuming parts. Why? Simply so it has a dependency on being supplied with resources. Near the solar panels is a free senior docking port and right by that is a Kethane power generator, this station needs to be supplied with kethane from time to time to keep it running. It also needs oxygen as I'm using the IonCross life support mod too. The one thing that's not attached in these pics is a large kethane tank and replaceable air processors and extra oxygen. Those connect to that senior docking port.

a9z6uoBl.jpg

The coms section can be reassembled and re-positioned in a number of ways (not for any functional reason, so I can get a better/different view of things from inside the rotating section!). In this pic, close to the camera you can see a small craft attached, that is the builder craft, an RCS tug that was used to assemble it and move things about. With its B9 command pod I was able to do most of the assembly in IVA mode and that was so much fun and felt very realistic.

I think it was about 6 launches to get everything assembled and then another launch to bring the crew up. I'd filmed the whole building and assembly process but I had a hardrive failure and lost half of it. So I'm going to do it all again and hopefully make a vid of it this time round!

Here is my incomplete OPSEK station, which will be used for refueling, science, and as a pit-stop for outbound missions to the Mun, Minmus, and beyond. Inspired by the hypothetical station of the same name. Later it will get two more modules with for habitation and solar panels.

screenshot228_zps29789d4f.png

Soyuz 12 docked. I sent them up to test it's docking abilities and its impact on fps. Once complete I will send up two Soyuz and a Progress every 15 days.

screenshot232_zps99a555a8.png

Found a picture of my Kerbin station in 0.21. Its lacking the escape pods from the 4 small docking arms, and those two big things at the bottom are an habitat and a greenhouse from the H.O.M.E plugin.

SPxVmor.jpg

I still havent started building a new station in 0.22, maybe i'll start this weekend if i feel like it :P

Here is my first station, ST-01, a refueling depot in 320km LKO. It can service up to 10 ships at a time if needed.

Untitled-1_zps35131d51.jpg%7Eoriginal

From starboard to port:

• 70tn 3.75m monoprop tank module holding about 12,000 mono-propellant for RCS refueling.
  • Science module with 2 labs and enough power for the whole station, sporting a 3,75m nuclear reactor and power generator.
  • 250tn 5m lox module for refueling. Really a pain to bring up there and dock, but definitely worth it.
  • Quad pod escape system for the kerbals working in the labs. The pods use small RCS thrusters for deorbiting and are equipped with a solar panel for power and heatshields/chutes for re-entry.

Finally, docked behind the LOX module is a 20tn space tug using ion engines for station keeping and getting modules from low KO to the station.

It might look small but looks are a little deceiving; the station hubs are up-sized to take 2.5m ports and the solar panels are from NFP, sporting more than twice the height of gigantors.

Here's mine, a small science outpost.

As soon as I gather enough science to unlock the antimatter physics section from the interplanetary mod, I hope to launch up a new power module (just a bigger nuclear reactor), and turn it into an antimatter factory.

screenshot126_zps717f7029.png

I'll probably end up replacing it when I unlock the larger docking ports, it's real wiggly.

I have another science pod out in munar orbit waiting for a reactor, so I might use the tug docked there to bring the power module from this station over there.

I think I have enough fuel... quicksaves!

Edited by User Unrelated