What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Once again critiquing always welcome. I still need to improve the design to be able to place those far flung satellites into their weird orbits around Kerbin, but this is the closest I've ever been to a locally green space program! Very excited.

I like the looks of this one too :) What's the wet weight? It looks like something that *might* fly with just two rapiers, thus shedding some tonnage and improving its orbital range.

Just so's you're aware, those exposed monoprop tanks will be drag monsters and are probably costing you 1-200m/s of orbital fuel during ascent. Given that you don't have any docking port on that plane, I'd be inclined to rip them off - or at least get them into the cargo bay (that's what the bays are for ^^). Shock cone intakes are also one of the lowest drag parts, so swapping your nosecone for one, and then dumping the little structural intakes should also result in lower drag.

I don't recognise the parts between your shock cones and your engines... but I worry about the sharp edge created by the back of the cone. I'd also want to check the placement of the airbrakes; to me, that looks like they're very close to the dry CoM, which could spin you during re-entry.

And a personal aesthetic nitpick - only having partial control surfaces on wings really grates on my OCD xD It also never hurts to have more control authority!

(Post it in the SSTO showcase thread for better feedback though; WDYDIKSPT has a very fast turnover and requests for critique get lost ^^)

I replaced my LKO RemoteTech control network that consisted of 4 very ancient / primitive satellites:

nWj2An6.png

With 3 which were a little more modern . . . . . which also double a relays for a future microwave power network.

yhWBZ1A.png

I'm hoping these three will maintain their 120 degree separation over time. . . . the last networks orbits had drifted waaaaaaay out of position over the 2 years they'd been up. Their orbits were pretty precise but I guess even very tiny differences in orbital period added up over time. The new three have a synced orbital period down to a 1/100th of a second (which was accurate as I could get KSP to measure it!).

Still trying to put Duna One up-- got a third of it orbited successfully and parked at the refuelling station. Parts Two and Three are ready for launch (after some tweaking of Part Two).

Basically, the first portion was the Ike lander; Part Two comprises the Duna lander and ascent stages; and Part Three is the transfer module, with Kerbin-Duna and Duna-Kerbin transfer stages and a crew habitat. Kerbonaut complement is seven: three pilots, two engineers, two scientists-- two for the Ike lander, three for Duna, and two to remain in orbit. (Part Three is the main reason for the refuelling station's existence, as it's being launched only partly filled and will top off in LKO...) The mission will be preceded by probe reconnaissance; I have a "Multiprobe" 208 days out from Duna SOI, and there should be time for a decently complete scan to be made before the kerballed mission arrives. To give it a little more time, I anticipate a "shakedown" cruise to Minmus and back to top off again.

ETA: On second thought, perhaps I'd also better include an unkerballed lander to test my landing skills on Duna. Wouldn't do to have Jeb & company perish if there was something I could have done to avoid it...

Edited by MaxwellsDemon

In my thirty minutes last night, I decided to try and design a basic automated mining rig to send to Minmus - I have a contract to extract 2100 units of ore, see. Spent most of the time I had testing out the basics of the design - like would it land, would it drill, etc. - before strapping on top of a booster and shooting it out that way. The rig I've got only has storage for 300 units of ore, so I'll have to send up a storage unit to hook up later; that's probably tonight. I've then got to consider whether or not I should send up a converter, so the thing will be useful after I've got the contract fulfilled. In any event, it's looking like I'm taking the first steps towards a full-fledged permanent outpost on Minmus. Can't say I've done that in KSP as yet.

Unexpected docking with my SR71 "replica" (not so much)

Didn't think it could have enough dV to get to orbit

However I'm still having strange issues with fuel draining

zQeSVv4.png

FgGFcNs.png

Edited by Agost

Launched a scanning probe to Dres in hopes that it gets there before my Grand Tour ship does.

Adjusted Inclination of Grand Tour to mach with Moho, I only have a 9m/s burn left to have a low-altitude fly-by, but my capture burn needs almost 5km/s to get into low orbit and I don't think I have that much left(about 350 ore left on top of 4.1km/s in fuel).

I think I'll be sending a tanker to Moho to make sure my Grand Tour does not end up stuck in orbit without enough fuel to land.

Perfected and released the Volkswagen Type 2 Amphibious Assault Craft, with a short demonstration video depicting a beach assault exercise...

With a VW Bus. No kidding :D

Download the landing craft + VW Bus (All 100% Stock) here

Original Landing Craft concept by castille7

Re-engineered for compactness and precision fit and finish by yours truly.

Today I have done few things:

1. Played KSP for the first time since upgradin my RAM. It was pleasant surprise of how nicer it ran. On that note, I have also ordered a used Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 CPU to upgrade from my Core 2 Duo E6300 on which I expect to gain a bit more performance.

2. I have launched yet another module on my station. It is Expansion Core module on which command center and solar trusses will be docked. (to the right on the picture)

D0gOpnr.png

3. I have again launched surface base to Eve, same design as previous one that was eaten by Kraken half way through to Eve

cQD3k7g.png

Orbital assembly of my Dresteroids/ Eeloo Icecream/ elcano campaign... Doodock unloaded an RCS tug and grabbed a asteroid "Claw`n`drill" for the interplanetary transfervessel, named "CEOs Heartattack" (Construction name until missionstart however...) :D.

The SSTO is a drone, i stopped letting kerbals piloting, they tend to horribly overshoot the descent from orbit... and in any case, loosing my kerbals due to lacking tarmac is not an option anymore, i love the greenheads to much...

I have revised all components of this mission regarding the partcount... this is gonna be an epic journey!

cTWzBK0.png

I like the looks of this one too :) What's the wet weight? It looks like something that *might* fly with just two rapiers, thus shedding some tonnage and improving its orbital range.

Just so's you're aware, those exposed monoprop tanks will be drag monsters and are probably costing you 1-200m/s of orbital fuel during ascent. Given that you don't have any docking port on that plane, I'd be inclined to rip them off - or at least get them into the cargo bay (that's what the bays are for ^^). Shock cone intakes are also one of the lowest drag parts, so swapping your nosecone for one, and then dumping the little structural intakes should also result in lower drag.

I don't recognise the parts between your shock cones and your engines... but I worry about the sharp edge created by the back of the cone. I'd also want to check the placement of the airbrakes; to me, that looks like they're very close to the dry CoM, which could spin you during re-entry.

And a personal aesthetic nitpick - only having partial control surfaces on wings really grates on my OCD xD It also never hurts to have more control authority!

(Post it in the SSTO showcase thread for better feedback though; WDYDIKSPT has a very fast turnover and requests for critique get lost ^^)

I'll probably tweak the design a little and test fly it, then submit it to the SSTO thread like you suggested. I donno about weight since I'm on the road right now.

The part you were wondering contains fuel ao I think it's a liquid fuel tank? I could be wrong. It was a good solution to splitting my engines into a 3 cluster, and I thought the shock cones placed in front of them would bug me more than they do. It's my prototype. I think the next iteration will be X-10.

Last bit from me today. I have launched root part of power truss part on my station

0BLHRcC.png

Also I have started doing some tests on possible design of 2nd part of that truss, but I will probably wait until I unlock larger solar arrays

3DJnXYy.png

Landed SIME II (Sarnus Inner Moon Explorer) on Ovok. For some reason Ovok is just an egg on the map (this is Outer Planets Mod), and it only loads when you get really close...and SIME I was destroyed because I did not have knowledge of that and misjudged the landing.

6614675c971bb68d797f6c0c35d53c6d.png

Coincidentally, solar panels are nearly useless out here, but they DO make great makeshift landing legs. :) Next up, a visit to Hale, further in, which is now the smallest moon in the game with the mod in there.

I just goofed around. I built a station in 4 launches:

20292257354_4399778c3f_b.jpg

Everything from the NOMs greehouse to the orange tank went up at once to satisfy a contract. The tree with the 1.25m ports and the 2 side tanks went up separate to round things out and use up the profit from the main part.

Then I made several SSTO spaceplanes to dock with it, for no particular reason other than to see what sort of weird stuff I could get into orbit.

20292257014_77fd32d999_b.jpg

From right to left, we have a 2-seater, a 4-seater drone, and a 7-seater. Much use made of Mk2 Extension parts. I don't ever expect to use any of them again.

Installed PWings, KIS/KAS and PP.

Figured I did something wrong when I installed PWing because they do not work (I've used them before, I know how to how). Didn't troubleshoot and decided to just forget it for now (not much into spaceplanes anyway).

Loaded my first Karbonite recon rover on top of a small lander can and got it up unto Minmus. Thought my game got broken for a second before I realized the reason why the EVA kerbal could not take off the ground with evarcs was because he was loaded with KIS stuff. Couldn't do much more because I had to get prepped for work.

I encountered the Kraken for the first time ever...

I flew an SSTO into a 75Km-106Km orbit carrying a pilot and a tourist. I turned off my batteries, opened my solar panels, and waited to get to apoapsis to circularize. While waiting I lost control of my craft. I could activate my batteries but that didn't give me control. On top of that my periapsis was shrinking while my apoapsis was increasing. Apoapsis grew to about 140Km and then my ship flashed some information windows (the kind you get when right clicking parts) and then a 1 second pause, then my ship exploded except the MK2 pod. Mission log says the MK2 capsule collided with pretty much every part in the ship resulting in the destruction of those parts.

It happened about 3 times and then I gave up trying to test that craft while bumming gas money off of a tourist.

Does anyone know what happened?

Kraken summoning is most easily performed by clipping parts into the sides of cargo bays - the 1.25 and 2.5 flavours seem exceedingly effective and tearing your ship apart when the doors open. The mk2 bay on the other hand, isn't shielded in the corners, so you can get the 'mysterious heat' kraken for things that you thought should be safe.

I used my successfully tested SSTO spaceplane to rescue a Kerbal, this being the first actual mission done with this craft. Unfortunately the timing didn't work out to get a second strandee in the same flight. But even so, after recovery it only cost me maybe 1K!!!! A nice payday from that contract. And you can see in one of the screenshots how fantastically awesome my return trajectory turned out, and was at least 85% guess work :D

screenshot51_zpsll9zwlbp.png

screenshot55_zpscb7dkgiq.png

screenshot65_zps2ubqjlfz.png

screenshot63_zpsv43he2mt.png

I finally learned to design shuttle-like stack (bascially "align CoM and CoT for the shuttle, add external tank, align CoM and CoT for stack, return, align, return, align, add boosters, algn, return, align, return, align, return, align"), launch it and shed all the excess speed in the higher atmosphere. And realised I forgot landing gear.

I also learned to align plane to the runway (and land it still in couple meters off runway, but at least general direction is the same).

Now, by your power combined, I am captain planet. Or will be a little practice later.