What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

1 hour ago, Overland said:

NgvWUWq.pngZWRGubs.png

drove 70km with 4429 as my trial run to restart my elcano challenge (got to get where the old one ended first!)

here with a family photo

wT0LjtA.jpg

I've tried doing that back in 0.24.2 and the trailers always crashed or do not want to turn correctly to follow my main drive.  How do you manage it... genuinely curious.

More modifications!

After doing some Kerbin orbital tests, I felt that the new ship I named Argo Navis was too small for the planned Jool expedition, so, feeling it was not worthy of such a name, I modified it a bit and renamed it Discovery, to be used for smaller loadout missions.  Its immediate predecessor, a larger ship based around a 7.5m (Tweakscaled) FTP LF tank and single 7.5m Nuclear Lightbulb, was brought back and now owns the Argo Navis name:

1zbh16v.png

All the tanks are from Fuel Tanks Plus.  The large Thermal Control Systems are 200% size and 150% size, they handle the heat from that massive Lightbulb pretty well, especially at .75% thrust.  Fully loaded up it still has over 14000 dV.

I've also already made the launch "package" and it will going up real soon, a momentus occasion for all Kerbalkind. :)

The errant crew of Chelonean Mk2 returned to Kerbin to a background of comments on launchpad safety.

screenshot69_zpssp3kmg5j.png

During the transfer Leeree somehow managed to turn the engine on resulting in a graceful bellyflop back into atmo which even Jeb in the rescue ship was unable to stop. Mainly due to being busy "securing" Leeree with space tape.

Back at base the first dirtside component of the Duna mission was unveiled. The Science Bus with 2 scientists and an engineer on board is tasked with gathering science and scouting for landing locations for a possible mining mission.

screenshot72_zpsdn6f6olc.png

Launched in a modified Deliverance class they were packed off to Minmus to top up the tanks and set themselves up at the edge of Kerbins SOI.

screenshot74_zpsixxwk9pj.png

Edited by dangerhamster

Took a few days of tinkering, redesign, engine replacements, but finally made stable orbit at 75k. Not enough dv left to do anything but reenter. Overshot KSP by 200k, had to ditch in the ocean. Jeb smiled hysterically the whole way down. Jogee, well, she was much less enthusiastic, but lived to tell about it.

FtcgvV6.jpg

Needs some work but I'm not sure how to tweak it any more. The tanks behind the shock cones are empty fuselages. The liquid fuel tanks behind them are only half full (might try filling them back up for more atmosphere flying time, at the cost of adding weight. Has room for 6 plus a cargo bay which currently has only a battery and SAS. I did forget to remove monoprop from the pod that might help. 

On the plus side this is extremely stable and hands off. Leave runway at less than 60 m/s. Set to climb at about 10 degrees. Go get tea. Come back and wait to cut engines once Ap is reached. Then circularize. Less work than my rockets. 

22 minutes ago, Red Shirt said:

Needs some work but I'm not sure how to tweak it any more. The tanks behind the shock cones are empty fuselages. The liquid fuel tanks behind them are only half full (might try filling them back up for more atmosphere flying time, at the cost of adding weight. Has room for 6 plus a cargo bay which currently has only a battery and SAS. I did forget to remove monoprop from the pod that might help. 

On the plus side this is extremely stable and hands off. Leave runway at less than 60 m/s. Set to climb at about 10 degrees. Go get tea. Come back and wait to cut engines once Ap is reached. Then circularize. Less work than my rockets. 

Great looking craft.

• Give the main wings 1-2° of incidence to reduce fuselage drag. (See the Angle of Incidence section at the bottom of the first post here)
  • Remove the fuel lines, they are not needed for RAPIERs and they create drag.
    • If you decide to use pure rockets and jets at some point, then attach the engine pods directly to the fuselage.
      You can then offset them slightly into the fuselage and make the fuel lines in the cargo bay, to avoid drag from them. And struts, too, if it's very long engine pods)
      MsA0Dxu.png  

20 minutes ago, Val said:

Give the main wings 1-2° of incidence to reduce fuselage drag

Yeah, I forgot this step and had to pull up slightly from prograde. This is a big help. Thanks

22 minutes ago, Val said:

Remove the fuel lines, they are not needed for RAPIERs

I did not know this. So thanks again. 

15 hours ago, Val said:

After 3 days of disappointing designs, I finally managed to make a Panther powered Single Stage Spaceplane, that I am happy with

This is what I was originally trying to accomplish. I was not able to build enough speed in my run before needing the rocket. Possibly because I did not have the incidence set along with the front canards that I have since removed but the craft would begin to flat spin and needed constant correction. Lost the canards and the rocket engine and replaced the much loved panthers with RAPIERs.   

I will use your suggestions and see how it goes.

16 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

Just FYI, there's a whole sub-topic called "Mission Reports" for this short of thing.  This thread isn't really intended for telling long stories.

What I'm posting here is only "What I did in KSP today". I only started adding page info of other installments lately, as I thought it'd seem very out of context otherwise.

But I've found "Mission Reports", and it might be a better venue. It'd be more work, more pictures, more writing,.. But yeah, I might move.

Edited by Vermil

I took my Single Stage ISRU Spaceplane on a test trip to Duna, to see if it works as intended, or if there are more kinks that need to be worked out. The landing got a bit hairy, but no damage was done.

I put some annotations/speech bubbles in the video to make it less boring. (I hope)

OoGqvQT.png

If no issues are found I'll head on to the Jool system tomorrow.

Launched the Discovery!  Used only SpaceY parts for the boosters, no need for Tweakscale this time when you have 5m tanks and engines available. :)  Under the ship itself is the larger of the Multi-Moa clusters, fed from the radial boosters, which use the smaller of the Multi-Ratite clusters.  Four of the middle-large SRBs (the largest before the real monsters) complete the package

I never took screenshots of the previous interplanetary ship launches (including scrapped/abandoned designs), so this is a look at how I do it.  This was definitely on the smaller end of the size scale, and it went off on the first attempt.

I always design these ships to allow for the mounting of big radial boosters, in thise case the SpaceY 5m tanks just fit between those radial LF tanks on the ship with enough room to spare.

My Ikaros_G team of astronauts on Duna have several days off. They need rest after that long rover drive. (And frankly, I dread driving that old rover design again. But I have to, since next Duna mission won't visit that canyon again.)

Anyway, there have been some developments back on Kerbin. Dr Horst and Jebediah have been busy: This, hanging here under an Ikaros-lander fuel tank, is the new longer wheelbase rover!
Theoretically, it is heavier, less maneuverable, and has less ground clearance. But it seems to drive a whole lot better, with much less risk of crashing. That is only tests on Kerbin with it's greater gravity, of course. But it will be interesting to try.

screenshot3321j.jpg

And the Ikaros rocket is this: The spanking new Ikaros_H!
I suppose I'm guilty of being proud of almost all my rockets, but this is a class act! A slick, well oiled piece of smooth working machinery. A few, small remaining glitches from previous Ikaros versions have been weeded out. But what makes it the biggest upgrade since version 'D', is the entirely new command module and habitation module.
The old habitation module, built in the VAB and based on two welded together ADTP-2-3 adapters, was spacious, very comfortable and popular with the astronauts, but it didn't fit with the new command module. The new habitation module is also built in the VAB and constructed from an empty Mk3 fuel tank and an empty Mk3 monopropellant tank.
The new command module is fashioned from the Mk3 Cockpit, there being nothing better available. This offer a completely new level of comfort, protection and space at the controls, as well as modern avionics and systems. A world apart from the old crude, primitive Mk1-2 pod. The astronauts have asked for this, ever since the Lensman went into service. It was planned to design a new Duna rocket, but eventually it was decided that it would offer no advantages over yet another version of the Ikaros.

screenshot3325j.jpg

It has, of course, been extensively dry-tested on all functions. Here, Jebediah is trying out the peculiar ladder arrangement.

screenshot3323j.jpg

And it has, of course, been test flown through all of it's staging, on Kerbin of course, and test landed.

screenshot3326j.jpg

No problems at all. But of course it relies on the Ikaros' already proven stellar performance.

Determined to get revenge against mods for killing my computer once (It probably didn't, but I downloaded one and the computer broke a few weeks later), I took my first brave step into moddery: Making a custom flag. It worked flawlessly, despite me having to read several tutorials just to find the game files. Yeah, I have a long way to go :confused:

1 hour ago, CliftonM said:

Oh, you know.  Did a multiplayer launch with full mission control, etc. while on live stream:

http://www.twitch.tv/cliftonm/v/48261393

Credits to a lot of people:

@ZooNamedGames

@Dman979

@MysteriousSteve

Me.

@NathanKell

@the_pazter

If I forgot anyone, I'm sorry.  

Looks like they pulled your audio for copyright BS.:mad:

I crashed couple of low-tech, jet-propelled "rovers" trying to finish ground exploration contract in a hilly terrain :D Then i switched to more enjoyable endeavour - grinding money by flying tourists around the Mun. I got cocky, reentered too steep and vaporised the craft along with its hapless passengers. It was a sign to take a break. Plan for tomorrow: scrounge more money and go for the first Mun landing in this save. And build a relay network around Minmus.

19 hours ago, Francois424 said:

I've tried doing that back in 0.24.2 and the trailers always crashed or do not want to turn correctly to follow my main drive.  How do you manage it... genuinely curious.

A few things, Ive been driving since around 0.23 myself too..

Firstly would be I use a steering wheel to drive..the keyboard is far too harsh and any direction changes builds up a wave that terminates at the rearmost wagon.. Eventually leading to destruction

The wheels are modded stock from a setting ive stuck with for a while..the locomotive wheels are 1.2 ton each to simulate rail wheels..wagons similar but unpowered

They all share an angular drag value of 7 as well which ive learnt coupled with the above steer very nicely if given respect :)

Thats not to say its easy though..a trains a very dangerous machine and must be handled with care and experience

For flexability I use a tiny truss behind each docking port then onto the truss adaptor...though they still transfer fuel fine :)

Maximum speed no more than 30 in perfect conditions..25 cruise

And always use the wheels.. No cheating with jets... The ones I use are thrustless alternators :)

If your driving electric though 

Put in the KOS command

Lock wheelthrottle to ship:control:pilotmainthrottle.

Youll then be able to control wheels by the throttle:)

Thanks to someone in the mod forum for that.. Helps many

19 minutes ago, Overland said:

A few things, Ive been driving since around 0.23 myself too..

Firstly would be I use a steering wheel to drive..the keyboard is far too harsh and any direction changes builds up a wave that terminates at the rearmost wagon.. Eventually leading to destruction

The wheels are modded stock from a setting ive stuck with for a while..the locomotive wheels are 1.2 ton each to simulate rail wheels..wagons similar but unpowered

They all share an angular drag value of 7 as well which ive learnt coupled with the above steer very nicely if given respect :)

Thats not to say its easy though..a trains a very dangerous machine and must be handled with care and experience

For flexability I use a tiny truss behind each docking port then onto the truss adaptor...though they still transfer fuel fine :)

Maximum speed no more than 30 in perfect conditions..25 cruise

And always use the wheels.. No cheating with jets... The ones I use are thrustless alternators :)

If your driving electric though 

Put in the KOS command

Lock wheelthrottle to ship:control:pilotmainthrottle.

Youll then be able to control wheels by the throttle:)

Thanks to someone in the mod forum for that.. Helps many

I have no desire to train in KSP but that was most informative. 

2 hours ago, CliftonM said:

Oh, you know.  Did a multiplayer launch with full mission control, etc. while on live stream:

http://www.twitch.tv/cliftonm/v/48261393

Credits to a lot of people:

@ZooNamedGames

@Dman979

@MysteriousSteve

Me.

@NathanKell

@the_pazter

If I forgot anyone, I'm sorry.  

Using this rocket

SWZUFmz.png

a91e87e9bc610edda3b9552eac61335b.png

Today I forgot the parachutes.

I spent a half hour orbiting the Mun my first manned flight there, collecting EVA reports over various biomes.  Perfect insertion back home.  Only during reentry did I realize it.

Stock gameplay, hard mode, no going back.  Scientist Urana Kerman survived by abandoning the capsule and braking with her jetpack, but at the cost of all the science.