What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

So as I said above I have deffo got a Spaceplane bug!! How have I ignored them for 2 years! (well probably because they're end career game mode and I never really get to them before I need 100tonne+ lift capacity!!)

Testing had its ups

jInfdU7.png 

And downs

m4ORIHN.png 

Time to show the ones I'm proud of:

First off the cormorant 2 (that technically has nothing to do with the original cormorant that didn't make it to orbit ever!) Easy to fly essentially its my long range jet with a rapier engine. Can't get beyond LKO but it's Jebs baby.

UIAydEJ.jpg 

Along similar lines the Falcon series, 1 & 2 are desgined to look nice (1 looks better but 2 is functional and can take off without a hill!!)

8v1ZFSq.jpg

HfwOBFT.jpg 

mk 2

38GpWwT.jpg 

Then I decided I could more or less crawl so time to sprint, starting the ranger series which are interplanetary capable

KYnO6Nq.jpgSkoqDkC.jpg9ZmX2fo.jpg 

The I decided that I might want some utility SSTO's enter the eagle series

The first in this was the Ranger 1b, basically the above interplanetary plane but with more weighty crew cabins, monoprop and docking equipment

pFrnG2l.jpg 

Then the Eagle 2 which is my favourite SSTO so far, manourverable, can transport 3 tonnes to LKO and re-enters like a charm!!

NFNSAje.jpg 

Finally my mission to create heavy lifters (this was harder than going interplanetary!)

First I built big

cuhpNAX.jpg 

Then I built the Gargantua

gArZfIy.jpg 

Which amazingly worked though was not efficient!!

mVYisAN.jpg 

So a need for a more user friendly started. I eventually gave up through a load of parts together and strangely it worked!!

gmjn0KR.jpga10lOnp.png 

I've been slowly adding mods to the 1.2 pre release. So far Airplane Plus and Discontinued Parts (both listed as 1.1.3) work well. Neither had any plug-ins so that is probably a reason, but I'll take it.

Edited by GDJ

Tried again to get to Eeloo (While keeping the ship below 50t).

Succeded this time....

nwEmyoD.png

But not enough fuel to come back....I checked again. There should have been enough but.....

I learned a lot on this one.

For instance Eeloo as a very small SOI. Precise manoeuvre is required to keep it in you "Flight path".

I thought I didn't need solar panels as the atomic engine recharges the batteries.....I am not that good at saving them until the next time.....We are talking years.

Eeloo is far and there ain't much sunshine. Landing is harder. Daylight is essential....Full daylight. Not a setting sun.

UzVpZhP.png

The ship toppled. In my mind it was no big deal we'll right her right over......Oops. No RCS and no extra Gyros.....I left them at the shop.

kuFijC0.png

Eeloo isn't as slipery as Minmus....Belly takeoff don't work so well.

But Jeb got to do a good "Navy Salute".
Ej4kTI4.png

Just wait till next time.
I'll be back (And so will Jeb).

ME

Edited by Martian Emigrant

In more non-actual-ksp-but-strongly-related news, today (just now in fact) I successfully wrote a new function for my mod, without posting ONE question here or anywhere else. I used what I know of C#, Unity, and the KSP API, and the new KSP API documentation, and a heaping helping of "try stuff until it works" and... it works!

I am frankly shocked and amazed. Some day this might be normal, even.

I continued my drive from(Using the Scansat Big Window for reference) the western-most anomaly to the nearest southerly anomaly, in a Buffalo rover.

No reason, just a relaxing navigation exercise, I am about 1/3 the way there. 

Edit: On the Mun.

Edited by Argyle MHF
I'm dumb

Still plugging away on the workups for my Jool-5 challenge run.

- Continuing the dress rehearsal, started to set up for the landing on Val when I discovered I was running short of the LF for the T/TV.  Since I'd just designed an orbital tug, this was the perfect time to test it!  Hyperedited in into Jool orbit with a Jumbo-64 (orange tank) on it's nose and sent it to dock with the mothership...  Only to find it didn't have enough monoprop or torque, which was fixed with a quick trip to the VAB and then followed with a successful docking.  Still need to update the design of my core vehicle though.  LFO for the landers is looking good, mono a bit dicey.  Only two moons to go!

As always, more details in the thread linked in my sig.

The orbital tug in refuelling mode.

screenshot39.png

While waiting and working.

CkEupLn.jpg

And it seems there is a bug on the wheels steering alignment in pre-1.2 with wheels while climbing steep hills. Anyone tryed and reported it? (have search bug tracker, but might be blind.)

fpgiY1F.jpg

(1.1.3) Did a pair of rescue missions last night, one successful, one not so much. In fairness, Julana's craft did a Mun encounter and I probably could've pulled it off in a Munar flyby, if I had packed Gurney 7 with another 500 m/s of delta-V. Got to watch her debris fly past at two kilometers. The good news is that I did get close enough to her craft to switch control over, and her post Munar-encounter craft puts her in a wonky orbit of Kerbin instead of shooting her out of Kerbin's SOI like I had originally feared, so the possibility is there for me to try again. Should get a multi-star scientist out of the whole deal once I finally do pick her up...

Danwig's rescue was as routine as they get. I do have a staging issue with the replica Gurney but I can work that out before I make my next attempt to rescue Julana over the weekend. Picked up a number of contracts for flights in and around KSC; going to try to get those out of the way if I can here in the next few days. Built the Bad Idea 3 for the job but I'll need to upgrade the SPH before I can attempt to fly it - too many parts...

2 hours ago, capi3101 said:

(1.1.3) Did a pair of rescue missions last night, one successful, one not so much. In fairness, Julana's craft did a Mun encounter and I probably could've pulled it off in a Munar flyby, if I had packed Gurney 7 with another 500 m/s of delta-V. Got to watch her debris fly past at two kilometers. The good news is that I did get close enough to her craft to switch control over, and her post Munar-encounter craft puts her in a wonky orbit of Kerbin instead of shooting her out of Kerbin's SOI like I had originally feared, so the possibility is there for me to try again. Should get a multi-star scientist out of the whole deal once I finally do pick her up...

If you've got control over her now, you might consider using 80% of her RCS fuel to tighten her orbit so she doesn't get a second encounter before you can go out again :)  Unless you also need the pod. But even then I'd be tempted to bail her and guarantee the safety of the kerbal and have only the equipment with a question mark over it...

Ahhhh. @Martian Emigrant. I see you are attempting my challenge! I hope you enjoy it and can't wait to see your entry. :) 

Today, I experimented with aircraft launched shuttles. My shuttle carrier on its own however can get to LKO with fuel to spare. Runs out of fuel quite fast with the 63 ton shuttle on top though. It also flips even when I move the remaining fuel to the top during re-entry and the shuttle itself has horrible lift capabilities. I may have to create a new shuttle with a bunch of wings on the bottom to help this and the vector engines on the carrier can compensate for the COL being way behind the COM so I'll move the wings back.

Fire

2 hours ago, eddiew said:

If you've got control over her now, you might consider using 80% of her RCS fuel to tighten her orbit so she doesn't get a second encounter before you can go out again :)  Unless you also need the pod. But even then I'd be tempted to bail her and guarantee the safety of the kerbal and have only the equipment with a question mark over it...

She's back in her debris, unfortunately. Made an attempt to put her in Gurney 7 but after the craft was seven kilometers off and not getting any closer I reverted back and just let it fly off. Craft didn't have RCS anyway (at least, the replica version doesn't; haven't been to the Mün yet to unlock the tech in my laptop save).

Incidentally, if anybody knows the keystroke command to reorient a Kerbal to match the direction the camera is facing, I'd sure like to know it. Ostensibly I have a mod that does that very thing but it's either not working or I've got it installed wrong.

On a somewhat-related programming note, I did get a new power supply installed into my home desktop this morning and it's up and running. I'm left with the question of which save game I'll be focusing on this evening; even though I'm not as far along with it, there's some interesting stuff going on in my laptop save. Plus it's coughed up two scientists...

Edited by capi3101

Well, I managed to uncover the old 1.0.5 bug that, after some time of playing a save, causes Mk1 pod to suck up the heat from a heatshield connected to it. And it only affects the Mk1 pod.

This really rained on my parade.

2FB377A448EDA0FD8250F3B075E0EC8DCB39BC6E

1 minute ago, capi3101 said:

She's back in her debris, unfortunately. Made an attempt to put her in Gurney 7 but after the craft was seven kilometers off and not getting any closer I reverted back and just let it fly off. Craft didn't have RCS anyway (at least, the replica version doesn't; haven't been to the Mün yet to unlock the tech in my laptop save).

If you passed close enough to be able to switch to her, you should be able to take command again from the tracking station. IIRC the game will now consider her 'yours' rather than debris - although she may be in the debris tab :)  (Unless reverting meant you didn't get the close pass, in which case ignore me.)

1 hour ago, eddiew said:

If you passed close enough to be able to switch to her, you should be able to take command again from the tracking station. IIRC the game will now consider her 'yours' rather than debris - although she may be in the debris tab :)  (Unless reverting meant you didn't get the close pass, in which case ignore me.)

Yeah, I've got command of her pod...oh, I get what you're suggesting - have her bail out and use the suit thrusters to reduce her orbit. A very Kerbal suggestion; I might have to do it...