What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Val got her head stuck in some railing on my new portable base currently on Vall and no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get her out. I got Marty Kerman out and tried to use him to push Val out but  he got his head stuck in there too. Bill got out to see if he could help and his head got stuck as well. After watching all three of their heads bobble around for a bit, I got my little rover (its so cute!), affectionately named Fido, to use its RCS thrusters to fly up and dislodge the stuck kerbals. After that didn't work, I'm seriously considering calling the Kerbal Fire Brigade to come and cut them out (A.K.A. Fredrick Kerman with a wrench) and then send all three off to hospital, where the resident nurse will look them up and down, point and laugh.

Edited by AccidentsHappen
Bad Speling

24 minutes ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

0_o what the heck? Have you landed upside down or something? Why is the ground white?

Lol :P

EDIT:

Wait a sec, you're at the poles? Oh. Okay. *Whoops!*

@AccidentsHappen has it right, the Dunian poles are extremely hard on the eyes. :blink: Hope my Kerbals have sunglasses.

17 minutes ago, Galileo said:

you may have survived this time, but mark my words, i will destroy your rovers....

It's actually a good thing I took over when I did. The last couple clicks were a veritable minefield once I hit the frost line. Now I have to actually cross the pole to reach my next objective.

15 minutes ago, AccidentsHappen said:

Val got her head stuck in some railing on my new portable base currently on Vall and no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get her out. I got Marty Kerman out and tried to use him to push Val out but  he got his head stuck in there too. Bill got out to see if he could help and his head got stuck as well. After watching all three of their heads bobble around for a bit, I got my little rover (its so cute!), affectionately named Fido, to use its RCS thrusters to fly up and dislodge the stuck kerbals. After that didn't work, I'm seriously considering calling the Kerbal Fire Brigade to come and cut them out (A.K.A. Fredrick Kerman with a wrench) and then send all three off to hospital, where the resident nurse will look them up and down, point and laugh.

. . . How bout timewarp? That's usually a good unsticker of things. 

33 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

@AccidentsHappen...

. . . How bout timewarp? That's usually a good unsticker of things. 

I, er- *Ahem*. Its probably not best to go into that, but I tried and let's just say that I'm glad I quicksaved before I did.

Spoiler

Bills head pretty much came off and he went up in a puff of smoke. Marty flew backwards and somehow took out the command module and Val flew over Vall's horizon.

Thing is, reloading actually fixed it, and they all popped out unharmed, other than a sore neck and maybe some dislocated vertebrae.

Nurse: Hahaha! How'd ya do that?

Pushing along through my 1.2 career game.

Sent Valentina to Minmus to pick up some science for desperately needed upgrades (the transfer stage had quite a bit of fuel remaining in it on arrival, so used it for the landing too).

kC5GfwH.jpg

Then, suitably equipped, a lab was sent out to Minmus orbit to generate some tasty science treats.

kyMxyUZ.jpg

A snap on route to Minmus.

gfnf6qN.jpg

Edited by purpleivan

@MaxxQ 

1. Unfortunately due to the design of the wind tunnel, we can't have the fan pulling the air through.

2. We were originally planning to straighten out the airflow with a bunch of straws glued together, similar to what you're suggesting.

3. We could line the inside with aluminum foil, I guess.

4. The test section is going to be narrower than the beginning.

5. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not sure if air will be moving fast enough for that though.

Also, should I start a thread in the Science  & Spaceflight subforum? I feel like I'm derailing this thread a bit :P 

1 hour ago, purpleivan said:

Pushing along through my 1.2 career game.

Sent Valentina to Minmus to pick up some science for desperately needed upgrades (the transfer stage had quite a bit of fuel remaining in it on arrival, so used it for the landing too).

kC5GfwH.jpg

Bah! Who needs landing legs anyway?

I managed to recreate what happened to Val on Vall using one of my prototypes in my Sandbox save.

.eJwNxckNwyAQAMBe-JtjYQlxGy4AIYzAkjkEm1e 

Now imagine this times three:D

18 hours ago, Talos said:

As part of my career save, I built a rocket system for my Mun-shot. Due to the lack of space and power to send both the lander and the CM up at the same time, I made two rockets; both can reach the Mun where they dock, exchange crew, land, do things, return to the CM, dock, clear the lander and return to Kerbin. The system can also reach Minmus without any kind of modification.

b92e183b74.png

80e0833560.png

Omg, I did the exact same yesterday too! I didn't use the pod though, I only used the lander parts, but still, that is a creepy coincidence. xD

Hey Kerbophiles.

Not much time this morning to report.

So first of.

Did more testing of my Single-Kerbal-Ship-to-Everywhere (I hope).

su1dEg9.png

This one was meant to just go up and see if it could re-enter the atmo without causing death.

Allan did as he was asked. But Jeb?

Once up there Jeb decided he had to go. So he went to the Skylab.

I said: Jeb, can this wait? You can spend years without going.

JU6FHg3.png

I usually go before takeoff.

Jeb. I said. There is no docking port because of weight restraint.

It's alright. I'll walk.

3EqHpeF.png

T04rdiM.png

After a short while.

Jeb came back.

ldxlQeG.png

And testing resumed.

and this is where I am out of time. But Testing got better and gave results. Finally.

Here is the last utterance:

565MKB6.png

When I come back I will report and where it as been and where it is. :wink:

ME

(1.1.3, 2 to go). TL,DR version - I did stuff with satellites and pulled something like 4 rescue missions, and prematurely lost a good spacecraft.

I had a pretty busy weekend game-wise.

Started on Friday with the notion for a minimalist Munar lander utilizing O-10s as engines with little more than a Mk2 Lander Can and one of the oversized RCS tanks. Wound up adding a few extra bells and whistles to that design but built it and sent it off towards Mün. I called it the Spamcan 7. Also designed and launched the first Superfortress 7 craft - which I dubbed Necessary Evil - with eight tourists and Jeb at the helm for a flight to Mün. I had a flag-planting contract at Mün and a single tourist (Vallee) who wanted to go down to the surface, so the idea was for Evil to meet up and dock with the Spamcan in Münar orbit, send Jeb and Vallee down, do their stuff and come back. That plan got changed shortly after the intermünar transfer burn...

Probes Beep-Beep 7i and Beep-Beep 7j were launched, the first to Mün, the second to Minmus. I had a contract to adjust the position of Beep-Beep 7c that went smoothly for some quick, easy cash. I also designed the Gurney 7b for a double rescue mission in low Kerbin orbit, modifying the design of the low-tech Kerbal Tour Bus 7a craft to handle the job (since that one was designed for two passengers already). The dual rescue of Barna (an Engineer) and Patzor (a scientist) was an unqualified success, with both rendezvouses going smoothly and a successful retrieval. Replacement contracts included 2 VIP contracts to Münar orbit, another LKO rescue mission and a rescue mission on the Münar surface. 

And that was Friday...

On Saturday, I went ahead and launched a Gurney 7 craft to pick up Paphe (an engineer), a pretty routine little rescue operation, though the Gurney 7a and Beep-Beep 7b both had operations going on at Mün while that rescue was in progress and I wound up missing 7b's scheduled Münar insertion burn because the Gurney 7 was parachuting to splashdown at the time. Gurney 7a rescued Edner (an Engineer) from Münar orbit and I did eventually get Beep-Beep 7b into position for contract. Spamcan 7 and Necessary Evil reached Mün and I had to adjust the insertion angle of Evil, otherwise the two craft would've wound up in opposing orbits.

With a mind towards the return of Necessary Evil's tourists to Kerbin, I designed and tested the Kerbal Coat Tree 7 craft in my desktop save, using the design to offload one freeloader from the Kerbinport space station.

nTK3iu7.png

The Coat Tree's payload is a dockable armature containing four "drop pods. The armature itself is designed for retreival when all four pods have been used.
BWiQFoJ.png

Kerbal Coat Tree on final approach to Kerbinport 7.
lakWMv5.png

One of the Coat Tree's drop pods near splashdown, successfully retrieving one freeloader.

Last night I began by accepting yet another Münar satellite contract. I got Beep-Beep 7i into position, and then both the Spamcan 7 and Necessary Evil entered Münar orbit and performed a successful rendezvous and docking. I then made the fateful decision to not send Jeb down to the surface, but rather to have the Spamcan perform the rescue mission with Vallee aboard for her contract, with the idea to use the retrieved Kerbal to perform the flag-planting mission as well. I adjusted the inclination of the craft and waited until the Kerbal was underfoot, then sent the lander down. The Spamcan landed within 400 meters of Jenwin's craft and both the retrieval and flag-planting went by smoothly. I brought the Spamcan back up to orbit - it had 24 m/s of delta-V remaining when it returned to orbit, not nearly enough to affect a rendezvous, so it fell to Necessary Evil to do the job. The craft rendezvoused...and then I realized my mistake - I didn't have room aboard the craft for an extra Kerbal. So I left Spamcan in Münar orbit with Jenwin still aboard, to be retrieved later. The added shenanigans left Necessary Evil with just enough delta-V to perform the transfer burn back to Kerbin, but not enough for aerobraking her back to a stable orbit. I had no choice but to de-orbit the craft at Kerbin, which turned out to be very hairy - on reaching Kerbin, I had to eject the drive section (which promptly exploded, so it was probably a good thing I did that) and one of the craft's Hitchhiker Modules came within 50 degrees K of blowing up, but ultimately the habitation portion of the craft survived re-entry. I had hoped to be able to use Necessary Evil for multiple intermünar trips, so the loss of craft was disappointing, but at least the crew and passengers survived. With Edner's successful retreival from Mün and the profits from Necessary Evil's mission, I had sufficient funding to upgrade my R&D building to Level 3. Leaves me with only √18k at the moment, but I have yet to accept new contracts and I still have several others in progress. For example, the Explore Minmus contract...

Juluna, aboard Flaming Death Trap 7, will reach Minmus for her historic science mission there in one hour and 35 minutes...

Edited by capi3101

13 hours ago, AccidentsHappen said:

Lol looks like you've got the same problems I've got on mobile!

Well my computer froze up last night, so I was forced to restart it. Apparently that corrupted my game or something. 1T8s6qk.jpg

I'm currently experimenting with reusing quicksave.sfs files as the persistent.sfs in my saves (I quicksave often). Wish me luck!

1 hour ago, Martian Emigrant said:

...fun stuff...

What happens if you swap the front intake for a shielded docking port? :)  (Remember you'd had heating issues earlier, this part is surprisingly good for both handling the worst of the heat, and bouncing the shockwave out wide around your vessel.)

*edit* Oooh, also, the airbrakes... are going to want to spin your ship round when you deploy them. Maybe consider putting them back behind the CoM?

Edited by eddiew

34 minutes ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

Lol looks like you've got the same problems I've got on mobile!

Well my computer froze up last night, so I was forced to restart it. Apparently that corrupted my game or something. 1T8s6qk.jpg

I'm currently experimenting with reusing quicksave.sfs files as the persistent.sfs in my saves (I quicksave often). Wish me luck!

Renaming your quicksave to persistent should work, but make sure it's backed up! Also, you might be able to go thru the corrupted sfs and cut out the obvious block of garbage from the corruption. 

37 minutes ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

You should have a backups folder with 5 relatively recent copies of persistent.sfs in them :) 

9 minutes ago, eddiew said:

You should have a backups folder with 5 relatively recent copies of persistent.sfs in them :) 

Ah yah I forgot about that. Anyways it turned out that the messed up save was one that I didn't even need. It was the one in the save that I use to test my replica planes, and in which I don't even have any flights. :P

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

I installed the High res SVE pack and it looks stunning! Thanks @Galileo for the hard work!

I also finished the final testing of my completely rebuilt Atlas V 541-Centaur upper and MSL/ curiosity rover. It also looks stunning. :D

All I have to do is make a video that does it justice then release.

Yesterday I played with making a new rover and let my terrestrial rover complete a few missions on Kerbin with the help of the Bon Voyage mod.
It's a big ladder frame chassis and loads of ugly bits strapped onto it but it gets the job done.
5GXppYA.png
I've also been building a rover for deployment on other planets. Still don't know ho I'm gong to get it onto other planets but I put a docking port on it.
Here's the Prototype.
eu3XWwf.pngLfqE8pR.png
It's a tad unstable if you really push it so far as pushing it with those wheels goes but deals with most things in it's stride. Those solar panels and antenna seem to showing unkerbal like structural integrity preventing it from flipping every time.
ip4gnTT.pngiLLUqAW.png
Bill can't remember where he left the test prototype but that doesn't stop us making another
IjSpUBA.png

Prototype 2 is much better and has all it's gear set up and ready to launch. I honestly don't know if the RCS is strong enough for the Mun but I have confidence it will be adequate for Minimus. Took it for a spin Round the KSC and tested it the only way I know how.... By ramping the crawlerway at full throttle.

2X9HQ7R.png36bVKVq.pngFqfIdIK.pngZBiUK7T.png

Spoiler

KPmoyU8.pngoBMfydf.png
Still a tad unstable but it seems to be staying strong.
ihPP1mj.png
For the brochure.
b2LYBbY.png
Is Ken Kerblock in the command tower?
51YD79W.png
Yessssss..........
*looks around nervously*
I mean oh dear that's a shame but at least it's still working.
WQBQBwx.png
The rover wheel took the whole impact and protected the delicate components well and still stayed about as stable as it did before the "accident".
Bob wasn't impressed when he heard about it from the LISS, but Bill says "You can't make a rover without breaking a few legs".
That left the rest a KSC scratching their heads a little but nobody wants to question their star Engineer so they just went back to testing the rover.
They don't expect these kinds of stresses on the low gravity of the Mun and Minimus but then again they also don't know who will be driving from the ground.
6nlSGxY.pngewtllzG.pngStill Going strong on only 5 wheels. This looks like it's going to be the final Rover design for Minimus and the Mun. Now we have about 45 minutes to build a rocket that can collect 2 Kerbonaughts from stranded orbit around Kerbin.
SERIOUSLY TACLS? 45 MINUTES? IT'S A NEAR 2 HOUR ORBIT!! (this may require some cheating Fixing)
NDOEMfJ.png

RIP Jebtrey Kermin. Having landed off target way up in the northwestern mountains, Jebtrey hiked for 4+km through very rugged terrain in quest of reaching an anomaly / monolith. He should have known better, that you do not go hiking after dark even if you do have a really good flashlight. After a long tumbling slide, gaining great speed, which then turned into sheer vertical free-fall; Jebtrey learned even the best most advanced flashlights become useless.

After ending my screenshottery run I tested an OPT cargo SSTO with a random pilot and scientist. It struggled to lift with a full 2.5m Ore tank, but hot-gluing a pair of Rapiers to its back and locking them in Air mode fixed everything. :) I then learned that the OPT mod had its first major but game-breaking release so I cheated my pirate station into a rdzv position (I like that the stock cheat menu puts you at 150m from the target). and EVA'd its pilot to the SSTO...and deorbited the station.

I then deorbited the SSTO and had it chase the station down. Although they were over 7km apart, Distant Object Enhancement graced and surprised me with the sounds of many parts exploding way out of normal physics range, starting with the solar panels. Finally I botched the landing and crashed the plane, killing the 3 crew. :( I succesfully recovered the other OPT SSTO I had lurking in orbit and then all the orange suits too because once again I wanted to be absolutely sure that I don't somehow send Jeb to the abyss.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

3 hours ago, eddiew said:

What happens if you swap the front intake for a shielded docking port? :)  (Remember you'd had heating issues earlier, this part is surprisingly good for both handling the worst of the heat, and bouncing the shockwave out wide around your vessel.)

*edit* Oooh, also, the airbrakes... are going to want to spin your ship round when you deploy them. Maybe consider putting them back behind the CoM?

I was having problem out of nowhere the other day. One of the things I tried was a shielded port (When I switched from the MK1 Cockpit to MK1 Inline Cockpit) the but the drag was excessive.....Plus it exploded. I can't put a "Mach Spike" (Comm Antenna) on one to protect them at high speed.

That's when I tried going back to a proven model (With the MK1 Cockpit) for good measure....Witch wasn't working either.

Rebooting my PC the next day seems to have cured the demons that were possessing my game. But the ship took some hard engineering turns in between. So the port might work now. IDK. The intake was chosen to be profiled, light and heat tempered. I also had to fit it with a Mach-Spike (Yes, it exploded for me). I tend to go real fast real low.:blush:

The Shielded port weight 0.1t with 2600K the intake 0.07t with 2400K. This last mission I am currently flying I got to Minmus with 18 Units of LF. The ship is pretty much maxed out. I would love the port, an extra battery and chute. I can't.

As for the airbrakes They are there to raise the nose on re-entry. The MK1 cockpits explode easily. And yes it does tumble....But I don't care as long as it slows the ship real fast below 1,400 m/s. i don't make good flyable aircrafts.:blush:

I am going to upload some pics and tell you guys where Allan is right now with the Take 3.4.:D

Yes, Jeb loss the position when he went for an unscheduled restroom break in the middle of testing.

Pretty pleased. (Not that Jeb lost) (By how the ship is working out. Out there)

ME

Got 2 games going on at once now. In my first, which is my 1.2 career that I started as soon as the 1.2 prerelease came out, I'm still trucking along & gearing up for my first interplanetary mission, which hopefully will be to Duna as soon as the transfer window opens.

I also wanted to start a career with a Life Support mod, but didnt want to use the save I already had going as I had some space stations already up, & didnt feel like jumping in with life support in the middle of save, so I started a new one. In it so far I'm pretty much just farming contracts for money at the beginning to get some buildings upgraded. I've escaped the atmosphere but still havent quite gone orbital, although I have the parts I need to do it. I cant wait to send my first manned mission to the Mun with life support on it. :)