What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

G'day all Kerb-Boosters.

Not much for the last few days.

My space program is having financial problems. A lot of launches have been cancelled.

Kerbals have been let go.

Jeb still has a job, for now, but he has to live under the austere rules like everybody else.

No more midnight snacks either.

I told him he had to be launched in a lawn-chair. Inside a fairing. No frills. The fairing is there to protect the instruments.

Jeb: "I won't go if I don't have a window"

So the program obliged him.f44DShQ.png

ME

Today I unlocked the CR-7 R.A.P.I.E.R Engine (had to scrub around the KSC biomes as I was 200 science points short. Tacky I know) and retro fitted one to Jebs Mk1 Pizza Runner.  Crust and toppings will be piping hot from now on.

PS @SpaceFanatic10 Congratulations, nice to see some downwards thrusting RCS, which really helps keep rovers grounded on Minmus!

Edited by Clipperride
Thought I'd missed a "dot", but hadn't

3 hours ago, Clipperride said:

and retro fitted one to Jebs Mk1 Pizza Runner.  Crust and toppings will be piping hot from now on.

You should install the Burger Mod then. Take it to the next level. :P

Today I resolved my burning hatred for cockpits' tiny or zero flag space... With the new Decal Stickers mod. I've wanted to do this with the @kraden ship ever since I built it, and with some other ships after that.

Laj3YXx.jpg

Mu1ZvUH.jpg2D9M9Hj.jpg

Edited by JadeOfMaar

Apparently I misread. Arin's atmosphere is 0.6 atm, not 0.06. So that actually puts it on par with Serran. In that case, let's try my new and improved Duneshifter on Serran!

Minor problem: I have no idea how to get it to space.

Well, you know what they say: when in doubt, strap two giant boosters to it. (please let nobody actually say that)

MOAR.png

BOOSTERS.png

MOAR_1.png

Seems to have worked.

BOOOSTARS.png

Duneshifter_Reentry_Night.png

Moment of truth...

Duneshifter_Landing.png

Duneshifter_Landed.png

Yay!

Might as well plant a flag while we're here.

Serran_Flag.png

I started a new save to find the SSTV pyramid on Duna. After saving my KSP from corrupt files, I launched the Glenn series of comsats to make sure my probes going to Duna will stay connected. During my second Glenn launch, my KSP crashed. Must be Scatterer or EVE, I'm not sure.

I launched Jeb off to Minmus

screenshot1361_zpskllk5o5v.png

And he cut it close on the landing....Again

screenshot1369_zpsy2bhlqyb.png

And zoomed around to 3 biomes collecting science.

screenshot1375_zpsdjnnesbz.png

And pondered important questions..Like 'why don't they just build a rocket with more deta-v instead of making me get out and push?'

screenshot1378_zpsb6mrpclo.png

3 hours ago, The Aziz said:

First landing on Moho. 700m/s d-v left, wonder if I should do something more there..

I think that my landing was more adjusted...

bjZIp6o.png

In the image: Auxiliary ship to analyze all the biomes on Moho and decide how to colonize it.

I hate Moho, I need 3 or 4 times more delta-v to brake than to left Kerbin...

I think that this is the fourth time that I went to Moho, and the third time that I touch the surface (second with a ship intact...) 

Edited by obi_juan

Real Solar System has been released for KSP 1.2.2, so I'm putting away my 6.4x Kerbin game and taking on the real-deal.  Here are the highlights from my first launch to orbit:

2Yjxj4l.png

Launching from Florida

RVSSuT7.png

fW2ElTe.png

XfLNN2m.png

i9AawUk.png

Gravity turn was a little off... circularizing will take me past apogee.

Not bad for a first try!

rv56Y7R.png

216 km x 210 km orbit.

Continuing my LEO mission, planned for four orbits:

2Po7RzC.png

Crossing the west coast of Africa and into the night.

d8tIQly.png

Back in daylight, passing over Hawaii.

And Baja.

And Baja.

pIyw3Hp.png

Mississippi delta and Mobile Bay.

ox6iU5X.png

Florida and the Bahamas.

4R7MRqv.png

The Antilles.

PxmrrTZ.png

Hawaii again.

V2S8Rf2.png

Gulf of Venezuela and Lake Maracaibo.

M5Dy2Wv.png

Guam.

(I think.)

51M0IlX.png

Hawaii is barely in sight on the third orbit.

8FqTzIj.png

Panama.

TbDMxEZ.png

The Philippines.

FHifB6z.png

Hawaii coming closer again.

My next pass will be right down the line of the islands... that will be my landing target.

06PTn2d.png

Deorbit burn and retro jettison over Madagascar.

uu9iAM6.png

Gulf of Thailand.

yTsKVbh.png

Hainan Island.

u5nXJTM.png

Taiwan.

wlx306h.png

Okinawa under the clouds as reentry begins.

HNOTjfQ.png

Midway Island... reentry is right on course.

JJqispQ.png

French Frigate Shoals.

eKSm8HT.png

aiOYdCU.png

Kauai peeks over the horizon as the capsule drops right on target.

6AtuYzR.png

Splashdown will be just east of French Frigate Shoals in the north-west Hawaiian Islands.

EZ9BvkY.png

Edited by RoboRay

What could that be over the horizon? I've never seen it before today.

b7mENtv.png91Da5Np.png

Warning: The first spoiler Spoils it.

Spoiler

VpDLIMx.png

I also launched a quick mission to dock an ore tank module to the HexaHauler. 

jX0j0OF.png

WwKypca.png

Z9XMCsb.png

Unfortunately, the hastily-created transfer stage ran out of fuel at the end of the burn to Minmus, and all the RCS fuel was spent entering Minmus orbit, lowering said orbit, going suborbital, and trying to land. Long story short, the ore tank module poofed into the flat a few hundred meters to the side of the HexaHauler at about 50 m/s.

9 hours ago, Clipperride said:

Today I unlocked the CR-7 R.A.P.I.E.R Engine (had to scrub around the KSC biomes as I was 200 science points short. Tacky I know) and retro fitted one to Jebs Mk1 Pizza Runner.  Crust and toppings will be piping hot from now on.

PS @SpaceFanatic10 Congratulations, nice to see some downwards thrusting RCS, which really helps keep rovers grounded on Minmus!

@Clipperride Thank you! :kiss:

Blew some funds in my main save re-enacting John Glenn's flight aboard Friendship 7. My version of the Atlas LV-3B rocket seemed to have a slight excess of dV compared with the original, but I followed the "1.5 stage" design. Through forgetful omission of the final decoupler, I replicated John's re-entry with retro package attached, complete minor explosions and debris flying past the command module window.

A hero and inspiration to many.

Rest In Peace John

After putting some relay satellites up around kerbin, Mun, and Minmas I set out to get some of my kerbs to level 2.  I'm playing a heavily modified sandbox with Kerbal Experience turned on and USI-LS running.  Also I'm trying to maintain 2 different craft styles to reflect 2 different programs.  KOSMOS (My Russian homage program) and KASE (My Nasa homage program).

I had a mission reports thread last year which got abandoned after updates wrecked my old mods and I burned out.  I had planned a big Duna mission with fleets sent by both programs but I never made it past LKO operations.  I want to at least play those missions anyway, but I'm still building my fleets, testing my fleets, crunching my numbers.  Today I sent my N1 to Minmas to level up Val to level 2 and get Janla (Scientist) some experience.

rc905h.jpg

Launch went well and we have a Mun flyby at ~3h into the mission before a Minmas intercept at ~14days into the mission.  Our supplies will last well in excess of the mission but our Habitation value is at 18 days leaving a very thin margin for return.  Luckily the Soyuz return capsule has an autopilot for re-entry procedures if Val succumbs to homesickess or just generally gets cranky.  The N1 does tax my CPU a bit on launch but it flies very well.  This time we circularized with Stage 3 before needing anything from the S4 tanks and S4-5 were more than enough to go all the way to Minmas and back.  We could have landed the LKO on Minmas but Kommand did not approve.

15s966u.jpg

Janla and Val spent a good long time in the Orbital orb, far more than their Hab modifiers should have allowed.  Something about the way staging works or docking works but overall I think its appropriate.  The Soyuz has 2 separate compartments for each, so they had private bunks as well as a large common space and the lander.  12 days out, a couple days at Minmas, and around 20 on the return (because I couldn't set nodes but had so much fuel that I just messed about.  The Hab calculator showed them at 18 days, they had 44 days of supplies and almost 90 days before homesickness caught up.

143nz82.jpg

My N1 cheats a little to keep the shape right on the pad by sitting the lander on top.  Val performed the space walk even though she can just "transfer."  Once again I forgot to set the mission flags so the NASA default flag shows up.  Stage 5 of the N1 (on the back there) was still full.  On the Mun landing test (flight 2 after I'd lightened the LK because it had almost double the needed Delta V) I burned the S5 engine in this configuration to get on a suborbital; detached it and the lander, and then returned to Orbit with the Soyuz's engine.  This flight the Soyuz's engine didn't fire once.  I also forgot to switch to fuel cells which are more accurate for the LKO.

2h2mjb4.jpg

The Kerbnet relay satellite had spotted something while it was doing its ore scans and so I put a waypoint on it and Kommand sent Val to investigate.  My Waypoint was off by about a KM and I landed another 0.7km away from that.  Val did a long space walk to find it and then flew here with the LK by eye.

2ahv15f.jpg

Return was hot!  We came in from further out than Minmas because of a bad escape burn which nearly escaped Kerbin SOI and hit a Peri of 30km at Kerbin.  The chutes started glowing and the heatshield had a temp warning but everything held at last and we touched down safely.

Jeb is very upset because Val has now claimed "First" on Mun and Minmas while he was busy at the ISS.  The boys are prepping a Saturn V for a NASA style mission next time I get a chance to play, that and building a 5 seat Orion out of Mole parts for crew transfers later on.

My Munar transport system is starting to take shape.

Space station Munar Archipelago in LKO awaiting it's boost stage for the journey to the Mün.

jFYrm06.png

Jeb, Bill and Bob test the Crew Transport vehicle. Designed to shuttle crew between LKO and Munar Archipelago.

LNmLBqB.png

Bill and Bob seem pretty relaxed about the whole experience.

aJ8vtf9.png

Meanwhile the Fueling and Logistics Lander completes it's test run to the surface and back to orbit with a full (or should that be FULL?) tank.

O9hAhFp.png

Next up - building and launching the Crewed Science Lander for taking away teams from Munar Archipelago to the surface and back. The entire system will be capable of taking 14 kerbonauts from LKO to Munar Archipelago for a 5 month duty rotation, shuttling teams of two to the surface and back, then bringing them all back to LKO. Orbital transports capable of bringing seven kerbonauts home from LKO have already been tested.

Edited by KSK

Time to leave Serran

Duneshifter_Staged.png

Hey cool, I still have >1000 m/s delta-v! Looks like I won't have to do a recovery mission after all.

Duneshifter_Returning.png

Duneshifter_Singed.png

Wow, even without the wingtips this thing is really floaty. 30 m/s and I still haven't fallen out of the air. Granted, I'm planning on using this on planets with thinner atmospheres.

Duneshifter_Incoming.png

Duneshifter_Returned.png