What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

4 minutes ago, Red Shirt said:

I have Space Opera engines that almost made the tweaks. Yeah it's probably going to happen.

Ahhhh. Cool. I mightn't recommend those as then you have to deal with immense thrust torque and thrust vectoring and still having to sit through the majority of a Hohmann transfer. I bet you declined the Space Opera engines as your KerbFleet don't have any DiFranciumMonoAbsurdiumCrystal yet? :sticktongue:

39 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I mightn't recommend those as then you have to deal with immense thrust torque and thrust vectoring

Yeah, I just ripped the nacelles right off the ship. The explosion made Scotty tear up. Jeb loved it. May try the USI warp coils, thanks.

Edited by Red Shirt
I can't spell

2 minutes ago, Red Shirt said:

Yeah, I just ripped the nacelles right of the ship. The explosion made Scotty tear up. Jeb loved it. May try the USI warp coils, thanks.

Aaaahaha! xD That reminds me of a Trans-warp experiment in Star Trek Voyager series. I forgot what the effect was called but the same thing nearly happened to the test ship.

I had an awesome aero related day!

1. DunarDive arrives at Duna's Poles! DunarDive is a small glider made for studying Duna's Atmosphere and investigating Duna's poles!

(Do not think about landing  on duna's poles - there is a large valley on the pole and mountains everywhere!)

Za8Rrx1.png HknLp1d.png

2. Flight of "Onix" shuttle! It is my second shuttle of all time! It did better than previous one and landed at the KSC!

Sajx7P6.png ioaJhhi.png

m7MX46o.png iKlgY75.png

3. Test-flight of "Tamerlan" SSTO. It did well climbing into orbit, but totally failed at landing. It also didnt made it to an actual orbit (69 986m)

wHK3KaD.png DYoH6xj.png

4. New jet for training pilots! This one-seated jet is very stable, fast and maneuverable during the flight!

P9930wj.png rH19KgD.png

Edited by cratercracker

3 minutes ago, Triop said:

Shhhhhhhhht....^_^

hahahahaahhaahahaha. I'm thinking about just Vessel Mover-ing my car there and then figuring out where in the world the temple actually is. I think it's directly south, no?

On 3/28/2017 at 9:58 PM, AccidentsHappen said:

SSTO on Minmus?

On 3/29/2017 at 7:14 AM, Numerlor said:

SSTO small shuttle on Minmmus or some kind of rover/plane hybrid for refueling 

Correct! I'll have to try harder pictures in the future.

Guessing_Game.png

To be specific, it's an SSTO attempting to land at orbital velocity using its brakes. I managed to not destroy the plane, but I ended up having to use my engines to slow down anyway.

Then I visited my Minmus base because it was nearby:

Plane_and_Base.png

And then proceeded to go straight to escape velocity from the surface, which was terrifying. Especially when the camera switched to orbital mode.

Wall_Of_Mint.png

Edited by Brownhair2

4 hours ago, Red Shirt said:

Made some tweaks. Reattached the main pylon to the saucer to eliminate some wobble. Pulled the lower section up towards the saucer. Extended the nacelle pylons. Shortened the lower section for better aesthetics. The center of mass is now near the center of the bridge. 

nweja2r.jpg

Flies much cleaner now. Not perfect but much closer.

Ldbw0DA.jpg

I could tweak some more but it has served my need to relive my childhood dreams.

A liquid fuel powered enterprise? Sign me up!

What's that skybox you have there? I've definitely seen it before.

On 2/12/2017 at 10:20 PM, Servo said:

I tried (and failed) to refuel my F-35 in-flight. I'm getting the hang of recording shots though, so expect more of that soon. Also, some cools shots of the F-35 in action, if nothing else.

kQA8o7D.png

If you used the docking port alignment indicator by navyfish it would make this ten times easier because it tells you your exact orientation to the other port including facing without having to eyeball it or use navball.

Just now, Red Shirt said:

Pood's Milky Way skybox for texture replacer

Okay. I've been looking for this skybox that I used a while back and pood's milky way looked too bright to be the one I had, but I guess I'm wrong.

5 minutes ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Okay. I've been looking for this skybox that I used a while back and pood's milky way looked too bright to be the one I had, but I guess I'm wrong.

I have a skybox (uschi0815's Milky Way panorama) which includes the tilt of the milky way respected to Earth/Kerbin's rotation. I'm surprised it wasn't popular, because it was well made and I absolutely love it. Check out the 'naked eye' one!

Note: Pood's was installed to make the working skybox, then I replaced its images with this one. Installing this directly into TexReplacer doesn't work for me.

Welp. Started sending 4 craft of Hum I would have to look. Craft to Dres. One ogf which is likely to run out of fuel before getting to Dres. Refueling more craft while I still have a Dres window as well found out one of my burns is an 1 hour and 30 minutes long. True it is a single nuke.... But, will likely make it into 2 45 minute burns or maybe 30 minute burns. But, good thing is. It has enough fuel to do the burn and then some thanks to me having ore on it by mistake.

1 hour ago, Hypercosmic said:

I have a skybox (uschi0815's Milky Way panorama) which includes the tilt of the milky way respected to Earth/Kerbin's rotation. I'm surprised it wasn't popular, because it was well made and I absolutely love it. Check out the 'naked eye' one!

Note: Pood's was installed to make the working skybox, then I replaced its images with this one. Installing this directly into TexReplacer doesn't work for me.

Oh thanks. That is exactly the type of skybox I like. Dramatic skyboxes with all sorts of vibrant colors are unrealistic and just distract from the planets themselves.

I designed a new gas turbine generator part module:

BYOILbJ.png

The gauge color is a little off (still trying to figure out what Squad uses), but the generator is throttle controlled. :)

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleGasTurbine
		ConverterName = Gas Turbine
		StartActionName = Start Gas Turbine
		StopActionName = Stop Gas Turbine
		ToggleActionName = Toggle Gas Turbine
		FillAmount = 1.0
		spoolTime = 8.0 //How fast to spool the turbine from one setting to the next
		smokeEffect = smoke_effect
		turbineEffect = turbine_effect
		startEffect = start_effect
		stopEffect = stop_effect
		flameoutEffect = flameout_effect
		stagingEnabled = true

INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			ResourceName = LiquidFuel
			Ratio = 0.1
			FlowMode = STAGE_PRIORITY_FLOW
  		}
		INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			ResourceName = IntakeAir
			Ratio = 5.128
			FlowMode = STAGE_PRIORITY_FLOW
		}
		OUTPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			ResourceName = ElectricCharge
			Ratio = 125
			DumpExcess = true
		}
	}

Edited by Angel-125

Continued messing around with Kerbal Foundries wheels :)  Lyssa, Jay, Thystle and River take the Kalifornia out for a final test in the rough hills around one of the auxiliary launch sites, checking its handling, power, and safety.

ibN0YNA.jpg

In short, KF's anti-roll setting is a feature that makes vehicles behave themselves. It's really hard to roll a terrestrial car (or tricycle), yet rovers in KSP tend to flip and spin with little provocation. With the anti-roll turned up to max, you can make all sorts of weird doohickeys and they'll roll (or rather, not roll) exactly as you expect, even with minimal torque. Kalifornia can mostly drive with SAS off, but it's worth having a small reaction wheel available for those moments you catch some big air - which will obviously happen more on smaller bodies :)  

While fairly hefty at 2.5 tons, Kalifornia fits nicely into a MK3 bay and the wheelbase is narrow enough to allow it to get back up the ramp again for recovery. Integrated large RTG (probably from Near Future?) provides a reliable 3.5ec/s, which will run the drive wheels up to around 30m/s. The magic of welding brings it down to a lightweight 28 parts, so its impact on its carrier will be minimal. And KF wheels are now compatible with Bon Voyage, so 50km treks can reliably be left to the driver while I do something else! :D 

(The forward mud guard is vital. KF wheels are not healthy for kerbals, and if anyone gets into the gap between the front tyres, spaghettification is certain.)

I sent my mun reusable lander on it's third and final mission. It started with a mun mission, got sent to minmus, and finished it's operational lifespan with another mun landing. It was a good ship.

I'll build my next lander with more fuel tanks and more powerful mining equipment. I always got fed up with the slow refueling rate and hyperedited the tanks full. Also, I need to make the transfer ship reusable as well.

Did more testing of my S-IVB. Turns out I need to stick a really tiny Terrier engine in the bell, because the fairing overheats and blocks the thrust of anything placed in the throat. There's no need to worry about the thrust, I have my ways of fixing that, but the exhaust plume is going to look pitiful. :/

2017-03-28%2019-08-08.png

Took the name "Spitfire" a little too far. (Turbine elements overheating in rapid succession created a stream of explosions)

2017-03-28%2016-52-50.png

Tried to perform an experiment to determine if the aeroelastic divergence property of forward swept wings is noticeable in KSP. Results were inconclusive, as both wings kind of failed around the same time. I also realized that I had gear attached to the forward swept wings, possibly affecting their behavior.

2017-03-28%2019-54-07.png

Finally went back to doing some stuff in my career save. I'm a little disappointed that some kind of slight heating changes between 1.2.1 and 1.2.2 have made it so that my expensive 3.75m FirePillar II core can no longer return from orbit intact. But on the bright side I figured out that I don't have to send an emergency mission to attach an antenna to my contract Mun base, I can just leave one of the microsats (3 are hitching a ride to Munar Orbit) attached to it. Even if the sat doesn't have enough dv to reach its required orbit from the surface, it's much less expensive to launch a new one of those than some contraption that attaches an antenna to the Mun base. I'll add pictures of this when I can.

On a side note, I should really write down what I'm doing in my career save somewhere. It's been so long since I did anything in it that, for example, I see a spaceplane in orbit with one Kerbal in it, and wonder whether it was getting ready to deorbit or to pick up more Kerbals from somewhere. Anyone else had this problem?

I would love to say I did something or even plan to do something. No dice. I'm off for a track meet tonight, and a trip to Texas A&M on Friday-Saturday evening. And most of Sunday's probably going to be figuring out how to properly install the AirplanePlus update

Last night I continued my GPP playthrough and streamed the development of my 14 ton SSTO from the science I achieved from biome hopping Ceti. The plane achieved orbit on its first simulated test flight but ran out of EC during re-entry. This caused us to plow head first into the atmosphere and unfortunately the cockpit was not up to snuff and exploded. Fortunately, Jeb was running a simulation in the R&D building on his high tech potato. Changes were made and the first actual mission was to launch a rescue ship to collect 3 stranded Kerbals in low Gael orbit. You can check out the video at https://www.twitch.tv/leafbaron.