What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

6 hours ago, Red Shirt said:

Tucked away neatly inside the adapter on the nose of the pod.... OK it's slightly cheaty but I sometimes try things like this when I know IRL it is what would be done. I surface mounted radial chutes then used the gizmos to hide them inside the adapter. I wasn't sure if they would deploy but turns out no problem. I also have extra mono and the batteries located inside the stack decoupler.

Sometimes I do that too, but I like to tuck them inside fairings and under decouplers.  I can "fudge" the edges of those with some minor clipping so it looks nice, but I like the idea of the parts bursting open to deploy things like parachutes.  It just looks cool.

Got back into my early career save I started a while ago. I'd been to the Mun a couple of times, landed on it once (and ran out of fuel and had to send a rescue mission to pick the pilot up in orbit) and was lacking in science to build a better Mun rocket.

So I took my existing Mun rocket to Minmus instead.

lPtG8Ax.png

Jeb managed to make Minmal orbit and onto a landing approach with fuel remaining in the launcher's upper stage. That had to be dropped (and landed non-explosively on the surface) so the spacecraft could be landed on the surface.

GDDGDqZ.png

Jeb took an EVA flight from the Greater Flats to the nearby Lowlands for some extra science. Turns out the heat shield was the wrong side of the decoupler, but a flyby of the Mun to save fuel and reduce orbital velocity helped, and burning off the extra fuel on re-entry was enough.

Edited by FlyingPete

10 hours ago, Azimech said:

Love that game!

I shudder to think what unholy machinations you came up with in that one. :wink:

“here we have a fully functioning rocket fueled by the souls of the condemned...”

4 hours ago, KerBlammo said:

"Your creatures demand cable"

Back in the dark ages before the Internet I spent hours trying to figure out how to do that.  :rolleyes:

You're gonna have to trust me when I say this. I had installed BetterTimeWarp a while ago, and was messing around with the custom physics warp configurations. I was playing a Minmus scenario for fun, when I had to re-enter Kerbin. The cockpit exploded, thanks to my lackluster skill, and Criske had vanished. I wanted to watch the rest of the plane debris crash into Kerbin, but it was taking too long, so I made a 50x physics warp...yeah, the outcome is anything but good. After the plane debris entered a crash trajectory, the plane parts started to krakenify under 50x physics warp, and once it had touched the ground, the whole thing had exploded, and the camera switched to a reaction wheel, which was travelling at lightspeed, I think! Don't do timewarp, kids.

I conducted the initial unmanned test in Low Earth Orbit of my first manned Moon-lander design of this RSS campaign...  the BuffaLEM

sAlFeD1.png

MDidawI.png

vNgjQnb.png

The attached stage provides the last 200 m/sec or so to reach LEO, performs the Trans-Lunar Injection, and captures the lander into orbit around the Moon.  The manned orbiter will launch separately once the lander is in LEO, perform its own TLI one orbit after the lander departs LEO, and rendezvous with the lander in lunar orbit for docking and crew transfer for the actual landing.

r8WNQHJ.png

dRksuhK.png

WP71uZp.png

Ik2AEHO.png

gRc725d.png

ybP703P.png

dKb8zBu.png

The descent stage remains on the Moon, as with Apollo.

xyfQuen.png

kmHVMT4.png

eoiCTTg.png

bHBaR7K.png

JJLGV5c.png

o2VA4JS.png

All tests nominal.  It's time to go to the Moon!

Thanks Angel-125!

Edited by RoboRay

1 hour ago, Tyko said:

Congrats! I ran out of "likes" today, but you deserve one :)  Do you have a closeup of the lander?

Thanks. Sure.

BJX2ECz.pngm3G4F23.png

And yes, that is an Atmospheric Analyser. Totally forgot to remove it while modifying the lander for Moho from what was originally my Duna Science Lander Probe... At least I remembered to remove the parachutes...

Album: https://imgur.com/a/UWbjm

Edited by Weltenbrand

Not a good day, not really.

The Moho-Bug-Drop, which was following the Hawkeye, fell to the same fate... different reason, but the same fate. Nice new big (very expensive) crater on Moho.

The AstroCatch2 is done with its mission/visit, making ready for the trip back home.

The Adam-Lander had its encounter with Eve. Twas a fiery affair. The last thing I expected was for the lander, with its big aero-brake shield open, to flip around on reentry. Bang! Poof! The romance was over in seconds. Very disappointing, especially as I'd taken special care in designing the center of mass well below the center point of the lander, right by the shielding.

The Eeloo-Explorer (mothership) went ahead and used its fuel reserves to get set up for a landing. There's already a rescue ship on the way, so it looks like I'll be venturing a landing after all. To hell with prudence. The SCANsat-Eeloo ship somehow never got a KAC alarm set, so it's adrift and gone. Ground control plans to send the Terminate command to the ship tomorrow. Another, using newer technology and design, is already on the way.

The Dres missions are coming up. Can't wait to see how badly I'll screw them up.

The only sunshine today was the completion of the SCANsat-Jool for Tylo. Laythe and Vall are already done. All but out of fuel, its mission is done. SCANsat-Jool2 will arrive shortly, already enroute, to finish scans of Bop and Pol. Once they're scanned, and Eeloo, that will complete the entire Kerbol system. Humm... forgot Ike is only still partially scanned, but it's as good as done.

:/

Forgot how pretty this game can be, even more so with mods...

195f2346c8cece7444c9e5bb31ec80dd.png

So, uh, I landed my first interplanetary rover today! Yay for me I guess...

Spoiler

c54f887e4b0339b38503c9db3fc2ea23.png

didn't really feel like it wanted to conserve weight so instead of engines its just a crap-ton of parachutes. Also no guidance on the way down!

68c7c8f5cbd8d24dfd97d511162f0205.png

b90f5465a9ce731ffce76d5e163460e7.png

Landed here-ish incase anyone wanted to know...

cb541e6bf510c7fa9ed395c2551dbb44.png

23b7b29c699158ef5fc998765fc172e5.png

Now I now everyone on this site has been to every planet and moon a million times, so I'm asking, what are some Dunar sights I could send my rover to? I'm thinking maybe those...canyons (?) west or maybe the circle-ish shaped depression up north.

Let me introduce you a Kerbal threat, i mean 6th generation of jet fighter VSF-35 Hyperion II (VSF = VTOL Stealth Fighter) a jet fighter with full computing system for it cockpit, basicly it is like Drone but more deadly !!!

maFZItt.pngaAJm45Z.pngkr6Zade.pngQRqxvSl.pngV8aAz3t.png

Still under development for more efficienty use of energy 

w9v8dYi.png

Someday want to share all my jetfighter craft in KerbalX :D

@Spacetraindriver

Looks like you've got something in a polar orbit there... what is it?

so I'm asking, what are some Dunar sights I could send my rover to?

According to my SCANsat of Duna, there's an anomaly you could visit to the northeast of your current position. That's a long drive from where you're at right now however. If you head north-northeast into that big crater (where the anomaly is), you might find it easier to access the canyon from there (turning southeast).

I did a Bug-Drop on Duna a while back (posted in here), but all 4 bugs flipped and got trashed because of terrain seams. That canyon and anomaly were one of my targets, only I was approaching from the east; I had intended to drive up the canyon to the anomaly. Hope you have better luck.