What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

EDIT: Included some satellites to set up a communications relay. Get two birds stoned at once or whatever.

T4HSIA1.jpg

My new rocket flies beautifully. Rock solid!

FIbxm7O.jpg

I got frustrated and brute-forced a Minmus encounter. Slingshots are hard.

b55HfW9.png

Once again I fired off spent boosters at the surface of the moon to avoid space junk.

yPWQAjT.png

0vUTHFW.png

I circularized my AP and PE orbit within 100M difference of each other. Satisfying!

kbq9vPm.png

Now I have a full orange tank of fuel for hopping, and 6 small pods-worth of propellant for docking. I'm not sure what to expect of such a tall narrow lander. I'm crossing my fingers.

hgFn3xK.jpg

Edited by MisterKerman

My Minmus hopping mission was a partial success. The tanker was poorly designed, and could not transfer fuel to the returning lander. As a result, only one series of Minmus biome hops was undertaken. I had managed to get the Poles, Highlands, Midlands, Lowlands, Great Flats, and the Slopes, then dock with my tanker for the journey home.

Xts0ZUt.jpg

I'm very disappointed that my poor building knowledge crippled my mission's potential science return. Having learned a lesson, and returned with a modest amount of valuable science, I'm going to do an even better job next time, and finish using Minmus up for all the science it's worth, like the aging toothless whore it is.

s37VtgL.jpg

1 hour ago, mystifeid said:

Climbed the flagpole then 4x gravity warped to try and get a shot like this

And then watched as my rover jumped around like a grasshopper destroying various buildings including the flagpole.

GdJl7GB.png

How very Kerbal.  And so apt that the most robust Kerbal technology (white object pictured center) survived the blast.  :)

Today, I decided to find out the answer to the question "Can you hijack an orbital launch with a gun?"

I put a standard GDLV3 on the pad. Good.

Then I had a little look-see. Those cylindrical tanks near the pad might be a good hiding place, so I positioned myself next to them.

bxYTpuk.png

I opened up the debug menu, and I pulled up "Object thrower". To mimic a bullet, I set the mass to 1.0, the size to 0.1, and the speed to 1000.0.

I aimed at the orange tank.

Fire!

This is all that's left of the rocket:

DwXNNQn.png

To add salt to a wound, I pulled up a cannon and destroyed the pad.

JIMMqZL.png

(I don't know how I got a cannon in there. I mean, Cape Canaveral is a military base, after all.)

Well, after a thousand hours (not all of them being registered on Steam), I choose to start a Career. The way I choose to do the first missions is a history for another post, this is how I  managed to save a Contract that I took by accident and had no means to fulfill! :D

So I was taking contracts to ferry tourists to low altitude flights over some spots, and since I decided to stick with planes (yeah, add-ons!) the most I could, my tech tree reflected that. But then I miss-click something, and got a Contract to ferry 2 tourists to the Karman line.

Blast! I don't have any capsules but the Old and Faithful Mk Command Pod! How in Hell I wold send THREE Kerbonauts to space and bring them back the most alive it would be possible? (dead customers don't come back - neither pay...).

Well, I advanced the Tech Tree enough to get better parachutes, and did this contraption:
6w2MaH5P7rwVHivIvjpmNSjNeFbadC8C51t7ZYLX

Three Mk1 Pods, glued to three fuels tanks already glued together, three BA-2 Flickers for thrust and lots of parachutes. A ended up using the absolute maximum weight of the (yet Level 0, as I spent the resources on SPH and Airstrip) Launch Pad. I didn't even stuck a KER part on it, I choose to add some more atoms of fuel to the tanks instead. :P

Oh, yes, and a priest on duty at KSCs' Chapel praying for the Kraken's Good Will - just in case. (Hint for a future mod: a priest and a chapel for KSC!! :P ).

By plain luck, or due by cleverness, or by holy bribed intervention (aka miracle), I made it. :D

The mission was pretty boring, and since I was pretty sure I was going to loose them, I didn't made any screen shots of the launch. :D

But the conclusion is: I not only managed to get them alive,  but also salvaged the whole ship! As I'm used to hear on some Youtube videos, "Brilliant!!!" (c) 2011-18 Scott Manley.

7HDOvED9ol6lRdpa-BtkG9pzXJMMnacmJuKf77rC

And since I'm going for the cheap on these missions (got ~:funds:368.000 on the first day!), I'll probably try hard to follow this line of mission in the near future. :D

(I think I'm hearing Bill crying on the other side of the door...)

Spoiler

-80drt6hIYNER2FNBGJJjP9bram9UgvsZB4QAlFq

And once splashed down, I used the remaining fuel to coast into KSC direction to maximize the recovering:
iS-uJ98GxZoKPHttwsVL7HgZU_eTinxED9QsiYuB

Well... just to add that...

Spoiler

I did it again! :D 

This time with four Tourists (but I have a Level 1 LaunchPad now). Some more Contracts, and I will land the damned rocked back into the Launch Pad! :P

It's a bit tricky, but with KER it's easier: I call this stunt "Parachute Assisted Suicidal Burn". Works only on Planets with Atmospheres. :D

wHuMqRROT-9BKXT1JsKLTtJxy03Sj7nxH2KL79hy
7jm6VWJL-z6CfmvCTtDYFS6QZadFB8eKYIgGeSXX
wUEeCu93zSuojWy4Uqp1l_TN7B1i83e8gplFD4h0
nejvY6UjpgUA7L_TuxelaCqS64bqrrAY4_3DInmb

Edited by Lisias
I left an image out of the hidden zone by accident. fixing. And I did this stung again! =D

Realising that they have gone where no kerbal has gone before, and that they are now hopelessly out of radio range, the team quickly pull together and open the envelope.

9nO1HGi.jpg

4qoO8nA.jpg

5xS5O1u.jpg

ZlZGpHI.jpg

eqUKxZe.jpg

GBkS988.jpg

And so the wormhole to Belisama and the Grannus system was declared open and usable. And what happened in space stayed in space. Because no one wants to hear about two lonely kerbals and a board game.

Edited by eddiew

Sunday is "play day" in the Lab...

g3kCt04.png

...not really sure what's being concocted here as we're only about 25% through the exercise...  ...if it turns into anything, it will likely be dubbed Seaspray...

Edited by Hotel26

Today, I launched a sounding rocket (based on Project Bumper -- only mine goes lots higher, because better upper stage).  Got almost 40 kg of payload above 600 km.  And still couldn't get the antenna to work.

23RVHmR.png

I removed Remote Tech from my 1.3.1 RO/RSS/RP-1/Principia install, until I can find a solution to KSC Switcher putting Mission Control in South America (a little out of comm range from White Sands, Wallops, and Canaveral).  Unfortunately, now even stock-type antennae (modded by RSS/RO for range, data rate, and electrical consumption) lack an "Activate" button, whether in VAB, on the pad, or in space.  :mad:

On 6/8/2018 at 8:52 AM, MisterKerman said:

The MK1-3 replaces the MK1-2 command pod

Hmm, did you installed al the corrects mods and dependencies? Be aware depends on which version of KSP you are playing also.

I'm so proud of myself.  Yesterday, I was trying to find the Buffalo-Laythe rover that I launched to carry kerbals between my Laythe ground base & the soon to be arriving Laythe sea base.  And I found it.  Can anyone guess where?  Yep, still in orbit around Kerbin with a 2 year old maneuver node.  Apparently I forgot to add that one to Kerbal Alarm Clock.

All cozy in the aero-shell, waiting for arrival over Laythe.  I would beat my head against the keyboard, but I don't feel like breaking my keyboard right now.

e0FtCF3.png?1

In orbit, waiting on the NEW transfer in ~55 days.  The launcher still had over 700 m/s dV remaining, so I was keeping it for the beginning of the transfer.

bzViAkT.png?2

I installed the Kerbal Reusability Expansion mod and messed around with building Falcon 9s.

Now I appreciate how difficult landing a rocket on its tail actually is.

Also, I believe I have an addiction to part mods. Before long I'll run out of RAM. :P

This night I decided to go back to being a cheap sas-mohole :P . I doing all the Contracts I can using... BIPLANES. :D 

Some Contracts demands a long journey (for a biplane) with more than 750 Km from KSC. Ok, BIG biplanes with tons of fuel and engines.

But then I though, why not to also map Kerbin using SCAN Radar? :D 

So...

EkJOyYS3IlDujEQa0qzvvVrlKFOKBqm-5s4cmRXH

On 6/9/2018 at 3:11 PM, djr5899 said:

Attempting my 2nd Mun landing today, this time with Pilot Valentina and Scientist Macbart.  Let's just say Valentina is not quite as skilled as Jeb at piloting just yet.  And Mission Control (ie ME) learned a valuable lesson about forgetting to quicksave multiple times in a mission.  My only saves on this mission were as I descended down to the Mun (only about 4000m from the surface), and as the lander laid on its side.

My first save on this mission occurred on decent to the Northwest Crater of the Mun, right as I was retracting landing struts and ditching my Poodle engine for quad Terriers.  Unfortunately, this decent was leading me to an inclined landing path.  On the first attempt, Valentina was relatively smooth landing, but being on an incline, the Lander bounced and could not maintain upright status.  Valentina told Macbart this was fine; they'd still be able to take surface samples, plant their flags, and "get off this rock."   

Alas, Valentina over-estimated her abilities. She thought she could just shutdown the top 2 engines, fire the bottom engines, and tip the lander back on its struts.  The Mun was having none of that. Valentina had to call in her favorite Avenger, Dr.  Strange, to use his Eye of Agamatto to revert time and give her another try.....and another.....and another......AND ANOTHER! Just wasn't working, so the good Dr. suggested going back a little further to that decent path, and maybe trying to alter Valentina's decent to land on a more stable path.  Yeah, that wasn't successful either.

In the end, Dr.  Strange will likely be teleporting everyone back to mission control to try this mission over again. The Mission Control personnel are not too please about the 2 hours of lost mission time they spent.

Here is Macbart standing next to the not so upright lander, and his and Valentina's flags.   Valentina is current sitting in the command module wondering how to is going to get them back into orbit.

eiRKvSS.png

Used my tried and true method of, when you can't get it work, come back to it a few hours later or the next day.  So I did that.  I still could not get the lander upright, so I decided to add bigger struts to the 4 radial engines to make landing much easier, and start the mission over.  Much, much smoother mission.  I will say though, a nice feature to have, maybe as an engineer levels up, would be to create custom action groups on the fly.  The method I was using to get the lander upright was sound.....only igniting the the bottom 2 engines to re-title the craft upright.   The problem was, it was impossible to click and reactive the engines fast enough to turn them on and straighten the craft.  An action group would have done this quickly, but I would have no way to play for this in VAB....would have needed to do this while on the planet to know which engines needed ignited and which needed cut.

Anywho.....completed that mission, plus:

• Sent a 3rd pilot/scientist crew to land on the Mun to gain more science and more kerbal experience.
  • Sent my first manned mission to Minmus, landing in the Greater Flats.  Jeb and Bob gained additional experience, and brought back a ton of science to help move the program forward.
  • Starting some basic designs for my Mun base contract.  Money is an issue right now. Need to gain some funds.  This Mun base contract requires TWENTY Kerbals, so, that is going to be expensive, and I have a dilemma.  I can "cheat" the 20 kerbals by taking a bunch of  Ferry tourist contracts, not completing them, and hopefully using those tourists as part of the 20 Kerbals.....otherwise, buying an additional 11 Kerbalnauts is going to be very pricing. The problem here is, the ferry contracts pay the most funds.....and I need funds. Decisions, decisions.

Here are Bob and Jeb, with Jeb looking at the camera, on the surface of Minmus in the Greater Flats:

lVU2M5i.png

Bob decides to test out gravity and goes for a jump.....I could hear him saying "Able to leap tall landers in a single bound....I'm Kerbalman!"
IlrHU1V.png

I landed my improved floating base on Laythe today, in a bay south of my Lancer ground station.  Too bad the crew rover to transport personnel the ~10 km to the coast & the waiting crew boat is over 2 years away.

Entering Laythe orbit:

HsqolNQ.png?2

Entering Laythe's atmosphere:

3hy1kiM.png?2

Chutes deployed:

ObAgx9X.png?1

Safely floating on Laythe:

lnYpheB.png?1

Finally got around to going for a manned orbit of Iota in my 3.2x Mission reports GPP save

0PMG8mC.png

SPOILER:

Spoiler

We made it and returned home. Will post it and a mission before it (one of the last Ceti unmanned landings) today or tomorrow.

Oh, and I found out why I love this game so much. Check out this window shot of Gael!

cMgTb9L.png