What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

First off, I updated the steam copy of KSP to 1.6 & tinkered a little in it - mostly wanted to play with the new lander can:

JmVwele.png?1

Then jumped back to my 1.5.1 career for an asteroid capture (no good images) & then tinkered with a forward-swept wing jet:

htV3v2O.png?1

It is a large, heavy jet, but it handles fairly well.  I was quite pleased, although I'm trying to redesign the wing a little

kpdXJqA.png?1

kpbUJWB.jpg

Indeed the unseen moon was a bit of a mystery. After a lot of harrumphing, the astronomy team blamed it on a combination of a low albedo, a weather balloon, and a spilt coffee cup. We have now aimed the observatory at Duna and are hoping for some decent images soon.

If there was a downside to the Dunaworrybehappy... it is that it's a bit basic. Aside from the science experiments, there's not a lot to do, and not a lot of space in which to do it. Hopes that the reddish dust would be some sort of strawberry dust from the ice cream at the poles were soon dashed upon, and Val and Bob decide to head back at the nearest opportunity. Bob notes that Dunan dust may be useful whenever there is call for a medical grade laxative, however.

IDZpOcp.jpg

In the meantime, we have been given a loaner; a new "nucular" engine that promises unparalleled efficiency in a vacuum. This sounds like a great time to visit the coal-dark mystery-moon!

HUTo3AA.jpg

In the end, the crew decided they did like Ike, but mostly because of it's views of Duna. In all other regards it is, as Jeb put it, "boringly Munnish".

(And yes, I like this cockpit from SXT. It seats two, offers high visibility, and is weighted towards the back for a good re-entry profile as long as you attach a heatshield. Definitely a prettier option than a pea pod when you want to seat two kerbals in a 1.25m format!)

13 minutes ago, Torn4dO said:

Today I installed 1.6 because I really needed a better looking cockpit for my newest toy. Just in case I'll keep 1.3 but so far I really like 1.6.

nPFWQIk.jpg 

1.6 is pretty stable. I haven’t had any bad crashes and there seems to be some performance improvements.

I started experimenting with a larger jet airliner.  After much tweaking, it's finally flyable, but needs further work.

WMLbLLz.png?1

Powered by 3 Wheesley's, it carried 48 passengers + 2 crew.  I even added nav, beacon & logo lighting

d55sqhG.png?1

Most recent version, safely landed at island strip - first intact landing for this design.  Glad I did this in sandbox, if I'd tried it in career, I'd be almost out of pilots by now.

xQk5fdB.png?1

Now that my guests are gone I'm putting my time in fixing up the wreck we found yesterday.

LCjPVtb.png

We gave Bill a hammer, after all, he is the engineer.

aBF9z3J.png

So he fixed the frame, now it's up to Bob to put a prime paint coat on it, he can disect his frog later...

I4fTUmt.png

Project is going ok so far, we'll see if we can get some work done tomorrow. ^_^

9 minutes ago, putnamto said:

i should have got more pics but it was just so nail biting that i forgot, and i was also juggling two other missions at the same time

The small ship and the huge glowing edge of Duna did it for me.

Once again, great screenshot.

I added the fourth installment to my Spindle Station orbiting Minmus. It is now 96.3ish meters long. Also it received the first long term crew, since I'm sending a science retrieval lander to the station for some contracts.

kyaTj5D.png

The new segment is the bottom most, about 15 m long.

Edited by Zosma Procyon

Bobert Gaelan deserves the "Balls of Steel" award: the guy has just planted a flag on Icarus.

d64g35rgr13univzg.jpg

And, damn, this place is HOT. Even on the dark side, my ship nearly overheated in less than 5 minutes of sitting on the surface - by the time I took off, the crew module was at 97% of critical temperature. Barely got away from that place. And I'm not coming back, not even to check that juicy anomaly out.

Meanwhile, in a galaxy star system far, far away Kerbals continue exploring the Jool system. The autonomous mapping satellite is entering the orbit of Tylo:

rih8r1w96972ei7zg.jpg

Edited by NHunter

Working my way through the tech tree in my obligatory "new version, new career" game right now.

On my first Mun landing of this career I found out on checking how much fuel was in the decent stage, that it was precisely zero. Didn't notice the engine cut out on landing, but must have finsihed off the remaining fuel in moment of touching down.

1dy7Eub.png

36 minutes ago, purpleivan said:

Working my way through the tech tree in my obligatory "new version, new career" game right now.

On my first Mun landing of this career I found out on checking how much fuel was in the decent stage, that it was precisely zero. Didn't notice the engine cut out on landing, but must have finsihed off the remaining fuel in moment of touching down.

1dy7Eub.png

that lander's height makes me uncomfortable.

the reason it didnt flame out methinks is because theirs still fuel int he upper tank 

1 hour ago, putnamto said:

that lander's height makes me uncomfortable.

the reason it didnt flame out methinks is because theirs still fuel int he upper tank 

Agreed about the lander height, I wouldn't normally use one with that kind of desing, but I was making an early grab at landing on the moon, before I'd unlocked docking ports, so had to rely on carrying all the fuel for the return to Kerbin with me.

I don't think that the lower stage engine is capable of taking fuel from the upper one, and if you look at the resources in the HUD, you can see that the upper stage tank is full (90 units of LF remaining).

While Duna Hustle is busy over Ike, Jeb is having a WHALE of a good time sciencing the daylights out of the Mint Frosted Moon. 

Spoiler

20BC9416D1B217285BBC6AFB168A475780E44820

(I love how the lads are looking up at far-distant Kerbin and smiling.)

I am sooooo in love with this Rover Max - Jeb and Geofgun landed on the Lesser Flats yesterday and they've since been bombing all over Minmus taking every possible ounce of science they can from every biome. 

On the way they have numerous survey missions to accomplish and have completed 2 of 4 - 2 Seismic scans of 5 spots each; about halfway through a VERY long temperature survey that brought us right from the Great Flats over the poles to the Lowlands north of Greater Flats - QUITE a trip. From there they'll swing West for an observation mission, and wait for the return vehicle. 

Jeb will return to Kerbin with the science leaving Geofgun in place in the Rover Max for followup missions.

This will easily max out the science tree; from here every mission will be done purely for fun. :)

EDIT:

Well; learn something new every day! lol...

First thing I learned: going to KSP Wiki to look up Moho while Jeb's blasting across Minmus at 50 kph is a really bad idea, but I already knew that. ;) Rover Max ramped itself off a mountain about the time I was going "Hmm - Eve - bad idea..." and came down hard enough to take out the lower headlights, four of six batteries, the belly-mounted Rover Core and the jump-jets.

The second thing I learned: parts bend?!

I never knew that - hit 'em hard enough and they break, sure - but my wheel struts are now seriously warped and without Rover Autopilot the machine is largely undriveable. 

COOL!

Spoiler

74ACBF9081624AA8FE63A52CDB09F315673E6536

(One bent baby...)

How long has it been that we could actually warp and bend parts due to damage? I've never seen this before! I mean yes, they flex; that's normal but that front left wheel mount is totally warped now!

Like...wow!

:D

Edited by NorthernDevo

4 hours ago, purpleivan said:

Agreed about the lander height, I wouldn't normally use one with that kind of desing, but I was making an early grab at landing on the moon, before I'd unlocked docking ports, so had to rely on carrying all the fuel for the return to Kerbin with me.

I don't think that the lower stage engine is capable of taking fuel from the upper one, and if you look at the resources in the HUD, you can see that the upper stage tank is full (90 units of LF remaining).

ive always stacked tanks and when one runs out it feeds off of the other.

as for the lander, you could have done 3-4 radial tanks, thats what i did when i went to the mun early.