What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I got bored of the Arkingthaad project, so I went into the VAB and invoked the insanity clause. By the time they realize there isn't an insanity clause, I'll already be at 10,000 meters and climbing.

Methinks there aren't nearly enough Aerospikes on that...

My activities last night were limited to a refuel of my Typhon 1 tug (finally; this is the one with 25 LV-Ns, the thrust of a Mainsail with NERVA efficiency), a test of a rover using a SAS module as the base chassis (had to work really hard to flip it over; when I did - at 22 m/s, double the flippin' speed of my first rover - nothing crucial broke and the only reason why I had to abandon the mission is because the self-righting system (a toroidal fuel tank and 2 24-77s) ran out of juice.

Made yet another attempt to build an Eve lander. On paper it said I should have the 12,000. KER said 6500 and then the damn thing was unflyable...though that's probably because the LV-T45 in the center stack fell off for some unknown reason early in the flight. Had rotten asparagus or something, I guess.

Today i tried to have a manned mission go to another planet and back for the first time

I failed Miserably.

I assembled my ship in orbit and it would have defiantly got there and back it had, if my calculations were correct, 14000 delta V! :o . I was using a tug approach where i was pulling my lander to Duna. Unfortunately the engines were way too close to the lander and no thrust was being applied because the trust was just hitting the lander :( so other than learning from that mistake it wasted a good 3 hours of work.

I have built a rover, a behemoth and during its test I have realized that it cannot turn left...

there is no problem with the power source,

the wheels are placed correctly,

the key bindings are good aswell -I even tried remapping them-,

engines as well as steering are enabled

and I have built 2 more just in case my craft's at fault. it is not, none of the 3 can turn left.

so I, hand in hand with my creativity are having a... 'not as good as it should be' day, belive me.

I would appreciate ideas on this matter.

Yet another rescue mission however on an kind of different scale.

JaeL6cp.jpg

Finally doing aerobrake around Laythe after creating an kethane miner and docked it to the mothership(the four orange tanks to the left). Used the kethane miner as tug to get the mothership Jool express into Laythe orbit.

Some complications, Jool express weight close to 2000 ton, its an orion nuclear pulse rocket with an cargo of 800 ton spare parts for orbital construction, 18 kerbals to put up an base on both Laythe and Pol.

Some problems first two of the chemical engines fall off because of metal fatigue. Yes it uses mainsails for precision movement, then the orion engine failed after getting into orbit around Jool.

So after going to Jool in 30 days, I used 4 to get an minimum power intercept with Laythe. The ting was horible to rotate and had ion engine like twr.

Currently setting up infrastructure to mine on Pol to produce more infrastructure.

I sent my ISA mapsat to Eeloo, I was bored and descided to see how far I'd get with a probe with 11k delta V (from low kerbin orbit), it still has 4000+ to spare.

Ond mapped the whole surface..

I might even send it somewhere else.. Or try and land it. (It should have ~1.7 TWR on Eeloo, thats landable, right? :P)

Busy evening. Due to strange way my mothership behaved during time-warp i lost main engine during yesterday's burn. Luckily i saved before starting, so today i was able to successfully retry. My expedition is enroute to Duna now, with correction burn planned in about a month (game time). After finishing with my mothership i launched heavy tanker into LKO. It carries about 9000 units of fuel and 1500 units of monopropellant - should be enough for Gilly mission i have in planning.

I've been refining the launcher for the probe that will hopefully manage to land on Tylo. I'm starting to wonder if it would need something like my Saturn V analog, just to get there without using any of its landing fuel. :P

Put my probe design on Mun. Used the second stage to slow rotational speed to zero, then ditch the booster to land on the thrusters only. Of the two probes, the first one crashed due to landing in darkness. Second probe landed OK but lost some solar panels. It remains upright sitting on the thruster tank. Did some minor redesign to balance the thrusters to estimated center of mass and raised the solar panels away from the bottom. Lots of thruster fuel left on this second attempt.

First I started to put a station into orbit, then I realized that I forgot RCS ports on the first module, and as I had to turn the station around at least one time, I relaunched it with a few RCS ports. Then I launched a few other modules before trying to make the upper stage of my heavy lifter family reusable. Now I have to redo the upper stage on all my heavy lifters as the final product turned out quite different from the base design.

I backed up my save before landing on Eeloo, managed to do it and take some screenshots, but then completely f'd up the rendezvous orbit by burning in the opposite direction and out of fuel. So I delete the save and restore my backup, go in for a smooth suicide burn (the method I had landed with last time), completely misjudge the height to burn from and pancake the lander. Since all my backups are gone, Bob Kerman will have to make a lonely journey home.

Rendezvoused with the capsule in Moho orbit. It was in a polar orbit, perpendicular to Moho's orbit. Several quicksaves showed that I would just make it if I escaped to Kerbol orbit first. I used backups of many quicksaves, and needed all the telemetry plugins I had to even get a Kerbin encounter.

&*(&%$#/ Moho. I hope the 380m/s left is enough to put them on an aerocapture trajectory.

Also, I scanned Eeloo and landed a rover. Not quite where I was aiming, but that's ok. Loving the look of the stock wheels on the ice.

May add pics later.

screenshot233_zps45033f79.png

Inspired by a micro-lander in the pictures thread, I decided to try my hand at one of my own. This lander has only one of the tiniest engines. Older picture, so some of it is out of date, but the new one has four seperatrons to act as Mun-boosters to get the lander back up into orbit, two command chairs instead of one, and even a parachute for landing at home.

So far it's no good. I might have to make a small skycrane retrorocket system. Getting to the Mun is fine, the problem is I'm getting to the surface a wee too quickly.