[WIP] Parts from my garden shed - SCANsat Antennae

Milkshakefiend

• 2 weeks later...
Any chance you could have that GPS hexsat work with Kerbal (Figaro) GPS?

Would be kinda nice to have something bigger, so you'd have a dedicated GPS sat.

I agree that these parts are beautiful!

You can just rename the hexsat's antenna part. Just add "name = FigaroTransmitter" to the part.cfg file in place of the existing part name. The Figaro GPS plugin looks for parts named "FigaroTransmitter" in your orbiting spacecraft to decide whether those spacecraft are GPS satellites or not.

Damny renamed the parts in the configs, so if you have save game using the download here, you will lose saved craft. I still use this download to be on save side. ScanSat download, is missing one part from Milkshakefiend the small probe antenna.

I also feel like Damny didn't give credit to Milkshakefiend for making the parts. Even in ScanSats download, Damny changed the author name in parts to his own name. Which I would of put both names in, because I don't remember Damny making the parts. Maybe I overlooked some credits due to Milkshakefiend.

Someone didn't read the ScanSat changelog :)

- Replaced models for altimetry and biome sensors with much better ones made

by Milkshakefiend. Original forum thread:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/49233-WIP-Parts-from-my-garden-shed-SCANsat-Antennae

• 1 month later...

No real progress to report, although I have managed to come up with a couple of concepts for more parts when my dissertation hasn't been trying to kill me.

First, some in-line stowable PVs - sometimes I run out of space for surface attached PVs, so I thought these could be useful. As you can see, I think these would work well for the HexSat aswell (I haven't forgotten about that...)

tRl7WYPl.jpg

A new inline segmented SAR to replace the 'meh' one I first released. The frame will be a sort of off-white polycarbonate, to try and unify with the aesthetic of the small radar dish and the multispectral scanner. The frame will have a 'hollow' collider, allowing surface attachment of batteries/RTGs/lights/muffins/tins of tuna 'inside'.

JYiI0jRl.jpg

When I look at the SCANsat parts I've made, I am aware that they don't really 'gel' together - they all have wildly different looks. One thing I'm going to aim to do is bring them all together with a common art style. I think I may resize the parts so they are more suited to a 0.625m size probe. The multispec will be ensmallened, with some texture and poly work to make it look a bit nicer - mainly in the lenses.

As of now my immediate goals are:-

• Graduate
  • Make new SAR, re-do multispec to unify main scanners under a common look
  • Tweak existing small dish - animation/prettification/collider
  • Update HexSat parts for 0.23 (More likely 0.24...)
  • Dream up, design and make a part for the BTDT and MapTraq - I know others are working on other pieces for SCANsat, but I'd like to make a whole set.

Long term plans:-

• Expand SCANsat parts into multiple 'classes' - I don't know where danmy is taking SCANsat, but I think at least different sized scanners could be good - perhaps some hybrid parts that do multiple things?
  • Expand the HexSat range into something more useful.
  • New structural pieces - clustered engine mounts?
  • New electronics - Surface attachable reaction wheels, PVs, batteries, etc.
  • Other probe form factors

Things I'm not considering right now, and why:-

• Engines - Between Near Future and RLA I never find myself short of probe engines. If you have any radical ideas, I'm wide open though.
  • Kerbal pods/cockpits - I have no idea about making a good IVA right now. When the probe stuff is done I may attempt it though.
  • 'Conventional' fuel tanks - KW, Nova, AIES and StretchyTanks have you (more than) covered there.
  • Plugins - I can only write MATLAB scripts right now. May try and learn when I have time and a reason though.

So in summary - I'm not back making more parts as of yet, but I *am* trying to prepare for when I am. If you have suggestions for things you'd like to see, post them or PM me.

Thanks,

~M

A new inline segmented SAR to replace the 'meh' one I first released. The frame will be a sort of off-white polycarbonate, to try and unify with the aesthetic of the small radar dish and the multispectral scanner. The frame will have a 'hollow' collider, allowing surface attachment of batteries/RTGs/lights/muffins/tins of tuna 'inside'.

A new SAR that fits in better on probe-class hulls would be nice. The original worked really well on ships I built using the KOSMOS TKS chassis, but it sticks out way too far on my smaller probes when folded up. The other parts are all usable as they are, although smaller would be nice for probes (although that's also an easy config edit away). I can imagine a BTDT unit looking like a camera (an SLR, or an old Polaroid) on a telescoping mast, but that's not necessarily the aesthetic you're looking for.

• 2 months later...

Reposting this here as it seems to be a part issue and probably affects this as well as "stock" scansat.

1. The multispectral becomes unselectable when placed on certain parts eg when placed on a flat side of the Mk1 Lander Can.

2. CoM/attachement of the parts are unbalanced, so even though multispectral and radar have the same mass if they are placed symmetrically opposite each other they still cause a torque while thrusting.

3. This may have been introduced by its inclusion in scansat but parts have attachRules defined twice with different values in their cfg.

Edward

Edit. I have worked around 1 and 2 by changing the multispectrals cfg to:

node_attach = 0.0, -0.09, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 0
CoMOffset = 0, 0.0865, 0

Edited by futrtrubl

Reposting this here as it seems to be a part issue and probably affects this as well as "stock" scansat.

1. The multispectral becomes unselectable when placed on certain parts eg when placed on a flat side of the Mk1 Lander Can.

2. CoM/attachement of the parts are unbalanced, so even though multispectral and radar have the same mass if they are placed symmetrically opposite each other they still cause a torque while thrusting.

3. This may have been introduced by its inclusion in scansat but parts have attachRules defined twice with different values in their cfg.

Edward

Edit. I have worked around 1 and 2 by changing the multispectrals cfg to:

node_attach = 0.0, -0.09, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 0
CoMOffset = 0, 0.0865, 0

Thanks - I appreciate this and will incorporate it into the DL soon :)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 26/07/2016 at 9:53 PM, Stone Blue said:

@Milkshakefiend any chance on adding a non-restrictive license, so others could share in using your awesome models/textures? I'd like to see more of these parts from you... :)

Thanx for all the work you've already done... (I know I enjoy using the great SCANsat models... :) )

Blimey. I haven't been active here for a bit so apologies for the extremely delayed reply. I had completely forgotten about this project. The source files are buried on my old PC somewhere so I don't have easy access to them. I'm not sure I can give the a-OK to open up the SCANsat parts as the agreement was the parts would use the same license as the mod. If the parts are no longer distributed with SCANsat there shouldn't be a problem. If they are, I'd atleast give DMagic a heads-up (if they're still the SCANsat dev?) before re-using any assets. Otherwise, I have absolutely no problem with re-use/re-purposing/modification to these released parts and contained assets as long as a) It's reused for a KSP mod/project only (because I still <3 KSP ) and b) I get a credit somewhere (because I'm vain)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.