[1.12.*] Deadly Reentry v7.9.0 The Barbie Edition, Aug 5th, 2021

Starwaster

So anyone has a status report after testing? Your peak temperatures, explosions and such?

For me with stock settings and nuFAR peak skin temperature from Minmus return was 870K, I even decided to go with docking port of my MK1-2 pod facing the stream.

The skin temperatures from LKO return don't go higher than 370K.

Seems we have to find the right convection exponent yet. I'll be experimenting with different options.

Edited by Enceos

What's the best way to upload one, I'm assuming NOT to just paste it as text here? I have one ready to share with you, though. Never attached a file on these forums before, though.

Use dropbox. If the file is more than a few MB then zip it up

This is because the bottom node isn't in the corrct angle for this part. If i remember right there is an patched .cfg a few pages befor this. Or you chanage the value by you own, you must change it for every part in DRE from somwhat like this

node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.01, 0.0, 0.0, [COLOR=#ff0000][B]1.0[/B][/COLOR], 0.0, 1

to this

node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.01, 0.0, 0.0, [COLOR=#ff0000][B]-1.0[/B][/COLOR], 0.0, 1

Anyone who has to edit their files does NOT have the most recent version of the mod. If they say they do have the most recent one and STILL cannot attach shields/decouplers then they do NOT have the latest version installed. Completely delete your existing installation and delete all older Deadly Reentry archives and then reinstall.

I have just personally downloaded the latest version myself and gone through every file and just as I thought, all bottom nodes are fixed.

But seems like Starwaster haven't read my post...

Starwaster, do you mind if I put my dirty hands in your code if I ever find the time?

I'm sorry, I must have missed it. If anyone wants to contribute to the mod, feel free to do a pull request and I'll take it under consideration. If you want to hack on the code and more than a bug fix then you should run your specific proposal by me first. (i.e. if it adds or makes changes to existing functionality)

So anyone has a status report after testing? Your peak temperatures, explosions and such?

For me with stock settings and nuFAR peak skin temperature from Minmus return was 870K, I even decided to go with docking port of my MK1-2 pod facing the stream.

The skin temperatures from LKO return don't go higher than 370K.

Seems we have to find the right convection exponent yet. I'll be experimenting with different options.

That's ominous, looks like I'll have to install nuFAR again because you should be experiencing something a little more perilous than what you're describing.

I'm sorry, I must have missed it.

I was asking to make burn/explosion visual effects dependent on part's mass because it is strange to see a small solar panel exploding like a nuke. Is that possible?

Edited by Ser

I was asking to make burn/explosion visual effects dependent on part's mass because it is strange to see a small solar panel exploding like a nuke. Is that possible?

I don't know. It's stock behavior. There's a part.explosionPotential, maybe that controls size.

insufficient information. Are you saying you're running a reentry with both shields attached? It should certainly be protected from convective heating.

Yep, a mk1pod with its built-in shield plus the (thicker) 1.5 m stock heatshield directly attached below it. This was just for testing, but it's a config I've used before when anticipating coming in a little on the fast side, say.

Did you install that set of configs that someone put out to fix stock reentry before DRE came out? Or any other mod that alters conductivity? If so, then heat could conduct into the Mk1 pod and the shield doesn't care where the heat came from. If you get it up hot enough it will ablate.

Not that I'm aware of. Just in case, I double-checked with the debug toolbar: thermal physics settings and part parameters on both the pod and the heat shield match exactly what's in the part .cfg files modified by the DeadlyReentry.cfg, no other alterations.

Enable thermal debugging (Alt-F12->Physics->Thermal then enable Display Thermal Data in Action Menus) Then right click the Mk1 pod. Every positive flux value is heat coming in. Every negative value is heat going out.

l

Once you have established the source of the heat: The Mk1 pod is configured to deplete faster.

Looks like it was convective heating for the most part, unfortunately. The positive fluxes were Conv Flux and Int Flux, for pod reaching around 3400 and 700 respectively, vis-a-vis 1300 and 70 for the shield, those numbers coming from around the time of peak heating but the proportions being similar throughout re-entry.

-c

Deadly Reentry updated for KSP 1.0

There are far too many changes to list. This is a near total rewrite from the ground up to take advantage of KSP 1.0 new thermal system. The major difference is that only fraction of a part's mass (thermal mass) is used when applying convection heating. (convection is the main means by which reentry heating occurs)

This concept was used to track 'skin' temperature separately. Skin can have different max temp properties, different thermal mass, etc. Skin temperature will eventually propagate into the interior (what was previously 'part.temperature' is now a part's interior.

Chute damage is currently not implemented. Both stock and Real Chutes have had canopy destruction built into them if you open them up when it's either too hot or you are going too fast.

Crew and part stress damage due to G forces is in. Go too steep and you could kill the crew even if the craft survived reentry heating.

To Do:

* Switch 'on fire' damage to skin temperature.

* Switch from an instant destruction to gradually applying damage over time. (this is how previous versions worked.

* Reimplement mod settings. (currently, if you want to change mod's settings, do so in the stock KSP debug menu: alt-F12->Physics->Thermal)

Deadly Reentry version 7.0 - The Melificent Edition

So I was always using this mod, but now that KSP 1.0 has re-entry heating incorporated, what are the differences now? Or why should I now use Deadly Re-entry. I think this is a very burning question for all people previously using Deadly Reentry in older versions of KSP. But yet, at the first post it is not explained and I can not find it anywhere else. So could you expand about this? What physics are added, what simplifications do you use etc? I would suggest you add this in your first post, to explain users what this mod is about. Right now there is no description whatsoever.

So I was always using this mod, but now that KSP 1.0 has re-entry heating incorporated, what are the differences now? Or why should I now use Deadly Re-entry. I think this is a very burning question for all people previously using Deadly Reentry in older versions of KSP. But yet, at the first post it is not explained and I can not find it anywhere else. So could you expand about this? What physics are added, what simplifications do you use etc? I would suggest you add this in your first post, to explain users what this mod is about. Right now there is no description whatsoever.

There is one major distinction: in KSP 1.0 the amount of heat a part can handle is dependent upon the entire mass of the part. But in reality, the outside surface of a part heats up much faster than the inside. Parts don't fail because the entire part hits a max temperature. They fail when the outside edge of the part gets too hot. Deadly Re-entry introduces the concept of "skin temperature"- the temperature of the skin/hull/outside edge of your parts. By default, only 10% of a part's mass contributes to it's ability to absorb re-entry heat (rather than the full mass). So skin temperature will heat up a lot faster than the overall part temperature, and reach explosion levels more easily.

On top of this, Deadly Re-entry is just generally tuned to make re-entry more... deadly.

Oh, and Kerbals can die from excessive G forces.

How to properly write MM patch that removes DRE skin, or all DRE additions from part?

Coating radiators with skin is a bad idea. (Nertea's Near Future Electric http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/51395-WIP-Nert-s-Models-Current-NFElectrical-HeatControl-testing/page88)

I think coating radiators with skins is a fantastic idea. That way you can have active transport of heat to the skin for your radiation needs.

If you still want to (effectively) remove the skin give its conductivity (skinHeatConductivity) a ridiculously high value.

Edited by futrtrubl

I think coating radiators with skins is a fantastic idea. That way you can have active transport of heat to the skin for your radiation needs.

If you still want to (effectively) remove the skin give its conductivity (skinHeatConductivity) a ridiculously high value.

I suggested that but they don't even want to try that. (just a value of 1 would be sufficient)

Ähm... guys... I don't want to be the devils advocat ... but... I don't think DR ist supposed to burn up an unlaunched vehicle on the launchpad? ^^

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3S6YRtGQtcsby1HMUdOdFBpRW8/view?usp=sharing

Ah crap, that's right, it's supposed to be Deadly REENTRY, not Deadly LAUNCHES....

BTW, log files are better than pictures. And not that cheap watered down ksp.log; I want the nice output_log.txt or player.log

I got DRE to blow up a ship on the pad in my career again. Shame the first time it happened last night was during an early tourist mission. Whoops! At least it wasn't an expensive astronaut!

Here's a zip of KSP.log as well as output_log. I don't see a player.log file anywhere around however.

DRE-Boom

The remains of the rocket on the launchpad looked like they were getting reentry heating. Before the boom I had just viewed a vessel that was orbiting kerbin from the tracking station. Then went to VAB and launchpad and instant boom. Just search the log for "Exploded" but I don't see anything strange in the log at or around that point.

Jeaaaa onece in a while I'm not the only one with some strange things happens :D

Sorry Starwaster ^^ Your mod is still awesome and one of THE core mods that make this game whole! I'm just reliefed that I'm not to derpy :D

Here are my logs too. Hope it helps.

My Impression is that it hase something to do with FAR. My termometers showed stragely high values a few flights ago after landing some Pods but I havend tought about this much.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3S6YRtGQtcsUXRzZXlXLUljLVU&authuser=0

Any idea why a basic jet engine would explode at 780ish K when overheat bar is only half way? Skin was 100-200 degrees cooler so i don't get why it exploded. Is this intended? Reproduction method was just sit on pad with brakes till engine reaches 775ish K then try to take off boom only 1 engine on jet at the end of a procedural structural fuselage with FAR.

Edited by Svm420

Any idea why a basic jet engine would explode at 780ish K when overheat bar is only half way? Skin was 100-200 degrees cooler so i don't get why it exploded. Is this intended? Reproduction method was just sit on pad with brakes till engine reaches 775ish K then try to take off boom only 1 engine on jet at the end of a procedural structural fuselage with FAR.

Same thing is happening to me. Anything over 40% throttle overheats the engines within about 90 seconds.

Ok did a short investigation. I see that it had a heatproduction of 350 and a maxtemp of 1800. I see this comes form the DR main cfg file. I then see you still have your engine adjustment cfg file. I am assuming that is is supposed to adjust maxtemp and heat production for all engine after everything is said and done. However based on the syntax you use it seems to only target parts with ModuleEnginesFX only and ModuleEngineConfigs but not ModuleHeatShield. Is that intended? Wouldnt that only target engine when using realfules which adds ModuleEngineConfigs to engines? I would think it would be or not "and" unless the cfg is only for RF Thanks!

Edited by Svm420

I have no idea why but deadly reentry (installed via CKAN) causes a massive FPS drop from 60 to steady 24 FPS, and I have no idea why ...

Check your log, I'm guessing you have errors spamming the log.

Also, I'm thinking there's an issue with Procedural Fairings. If you experienced the FPS drop on a ship that had those, either revert to launch, or quicksave then quickload and it should stop

I got DRE to blow up a ship on the pad in my career again. Shame the first time it happened last night was during an early tourist mission. Whoops! At least it wasn't an expensive astronaut!

Here's a zip of KSP.log as well as output_log. I don't see a player.log file anywhere around however.

DRE-Boom

The remains of the rocket on the launchpad looked like they were getting reentry heating. Before the boom I had just viewed a vessel that was orbiting kerbin from the tracking station. Then went to VAB and launchpad and instant boom. Just search the log for "Exploded" but I don't see anything strange in the log at or around that point.

Did you revert the flight when this happened? I've seen a lot of retained physics behavior (not specific to DRE) when reverting.

Edited by GrimerX
Phone browsers are really bad

Ok did a short investigation. I see that it had a heatproduction of 350 and a maxtemp of 1800. I see this comes form the DR main cfg file. I then see you still have your engine adjustment cfg file. I am assuming that is is supposed to adjust maxtemp and heat production for all engine after everything is said and done. However based on the syntax you use it seems to only target parts with ModuleEnginesFX and ModuleEngineConfigs but not ModuleHeatShield. Is that intended? Wouldnt that only target engine when using realfules which ands ModuleEngineConfigs to engines? I would think it would be or not "and" unless the cfg is only for RF Thanks!

Correct, that patch only targets RF, where engines were having their heat production reset to high levels after DRE had cut both max temp AND heat production. (ModuleEngineConfigs was doing that)

Since RF is not currently out yet, nobody has it so that config isn't the source of the problem

Correct, that patch only targets RF, where engines were having their heat production reset to high levels after DRE had cut both max temp AND heat production. (ModuleEngineConfigs was doing that)

Since RF is not currently out yet, nobody has it so that config isn't the source of the problem

So then why set heatproduction to 350 on the basic engine is that realistic?

- - - Updated - - -

Genuinely asking I have no idea :)