[1.12.*] Deadly Reentry v7.9.0 The Barbie Edition, Aug 5th, 2021

Starwaster

The A10 has a maxTemp of 1000.... I'll see about bumping that up in the next version.

About that bay, is US properly updated for KSP 1.0? It should be using ModuleCargoBay. Otherwise there's no guarantee that it will shield anything.

Also, the stock heat gauge can't tell that your parts are overheating if it's the outer skin heating up. It's not DRE-aware.

I'll look at the log file to see what errors you're getting. Make sure you're updated to DRE 7.0.2 which I posted last night.

-snip-

US is the latest version I could get and they survive without problems, but what confuses me is the probe core or the adapter are exploding despite being behind that heatshield even when pointing my craft perfectly retrograde.

DRE is 7.0.2, but I will download and install again to report to you.

Thank you!

Reinstalled and tested. Same $hit At orbital velocity and 27000alt temperature starts dropping. Max peak skin temp for the pod was 960K with default convection settings (40), 1380K with 100 convection.

output_log.txt

Let me also get your ModuleManager.ConfigCache too please.

US is the latest version I could get and they survive without problems, but what confuses me is the probe core or the adapter are exploding despite being behind that heatshield even when pointing my craft perfectly retrograde.

DRE is 7.0.2, but I will download and install again to report to you.

Thank you!

Try doing that reentry with those parts again only make sure you have thermal debugging enabled. (alt-F12->Physics->Thermal) and right click the part that's exploding. It will show you where the heat is coming from. Convection should be 0 if you have a heat shield (or ANYTHING) between you and the shockwave.

Let me also get your ModuleManager.ConfigCache too please.

Here you go: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nkonebqa8aul7f9/ModuleManager1.rar?dl=0

Starwaster, just drop an MK1-2 pod from minmus orbit and you'll get the same result. Probably thermal mass of the skin is too high.

Also please take a note that below 28000 Kerbin altitude temp starts dropping even though the pod is travelling at 2300m/s

Edited by Enceos

okay did that... Conv Flux for the Probe Core was at peak times around 6-700, while Cond Flux was around 0 all the time.

Does that mean my probe is not protected?

Edit:

Another problem that just occured: My Command Pod Mk1 exploded on the launchpad, because of overheating and the whole rocket had reentry effects on it, which were coming from the side.

The respective log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/av40verxa8q8uo1/output_log.zip?dl=0

Edited by Snafu225

Installed DRE, flipped over to a station in minmus orbit that had some landers docked to it. a JSI radial camera exploded do to burning up, nothing else happened, just that, and there were other cameras on the craft, but they didnt explode. Log file showed no errors, so I don't have anything else to provide.

Installed DRE, flipped over to a station in minmus orbit that had some landers docked to it. a JSI radial camera exploded do to burning up, nothing else happened, just that, and there were other cameras on the craft, but they didnt explode. Log file showed no errors, so I don't have anything else to provide.

I am getting this with aset stack inline light ring. IDK what is casuing it, but every launch poof overheated. :( Deadly launches is not cool

- - - Updated - - -

And now my science cam burns up just trying to get to orbit ffs. All these parts were inside a fairing if that matters.

- - - Updated - - -

Lets add solar panels, procedural structural fuselage and stock batteries? What is going on? This was at 33km 865m/s in a fairing.

- - - Updated - - -

Procedural stack decoupler too

Here you go: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nkonebqa8aul7f9/ModuleManager1.rar?dl=0

Starwaster, just drop an MK1-2 pod from minmus orbit and you'll get the same result. Probably thermal mass of the skin is too high.

Also please take a note that below 28000 Kerbin altitude temp starts dropping even though the pod is travelling at 2300m/s

I did, with default of 40 convection and my peak was 1300+

I didn't set it to 100. So I was very nearly getting at 40 what you got at 100. That's why I needed to see the MM cache file next, to see if anything was making your setup different from mine, and your experience different from mine.

(I did learn something new from the experiment; even though 1300 wasn't enough to explicitly destroy the pod, it should have caught fire. The fire setting code failed)

Re: Fairings. What kind of fairings? edog's procedurals or the stock ones?

I've decided to get NFE and DRE along, but something is not working.

Applied this patch:

@PART
[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleGenericRadiator]]:FINAL {
@MODULE[ModuleAeroReentry]{
@skinHeatConductivity = 1
@skinThicknessFactor = 1
@skinMaxTemp = 1900
}
}

But radiator's skin vs part temperatures are still far from equal (something like 600K part, 120K skin), skin to part mass ratio still 1/10.

And they are about to explode when reaching 800K, despite maxTemp for these parts is 1900.

Log says my patch applied to desired parts.

skin vs part temperatures are still far from equal (something like 600K part, 120K skin), skin to part mass ratio still 1/10.

And they are about to explode when reaching 800K, despite maxTemp for these parts is 1900.

I have found that with every part I have looked at core is hotter than skin and explode well under the limit set by DR. IDK what is going on I enabled debug so I can watch all the numbers and I don't get where heat is even coming from half the time on all my parts. :confused:

Alright so it seems Pfairings are cooking my parts on the launch pad. The skin on them get up to around 350K and radiate all the heat inside cooking small fragile parts first like Solar panels, cameras, lights, batteries, etc I am guessing that since this is a daytime launch that the fairings are heating up fro the sun as convection flux is aroud 50 constantly and radiative flux around -60.

I tried raising the emissiveConstant in the Fairing.cfg file as per the comment of maybe higher than the defualt 0.6. I tried 0.8

On launch start the fairing heat stats aare as follows.

temp 287

flux -55

TMass 180

skTemp 285

skTmass 18

Rad area 17m2

exp area 11

cond flux 0

conv flux 40

rad flux -61

Int flux-16

These pics are after losing both solar panels at the pad watching as in a matter of minutes as their skin temp blazes up to 800ish or whatever is has to be for poof, and right before a bunch more parts poof.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Look at the Ext temp which would be inside the fairing Edited by Svm420

Alright so it seems Pfairings are cooking my parts...

I can confirm this. I managed to loose even downsized fuel tanks several minutes into a pretty normal launch due to overheating when they are still in the fairing.

Problem though is that I have the exact same problem, but on crafts without Pfairings. Small parts just go poof.

I've decided to get NFE and DRE along, but something is not working.

Applied this patch:

@PART
[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleGenericRadiator]]:FINAL {
@MODULE[ModuleAeroReentry]{
@skinHeatConductivity = 1
@skinThicknessFactor = 1
@skinMaxTemp = 1900
}
}

But radiator's skin vs part temperatures are still far from equal (something like 600K part, 120K skin), skin to part mass ratio still 1/10.

The skin conduction code is applying the skinHeatConductivity * part.heatConductivity which is a bad thing. It's fixed in the next update so that your configuration should work. (I need to do some testing of other parts of the update first because it's going to have a big increase on heating.

I have found that with every part I have looked at core is hotter than skin and explode well under the limit set by DR. IDK what is going on I enabled debug so I can watch all the numbers and I don't get where heat is even coming from half the time on all my parts. :confused:

Alright so it seems Pfairings are cooking my parts on the launch pad. The skin on them get up to around 350K and radiate all the heat inside cooking small fragile parts first like Solar panels, cameras, lights, batteries, etc I am guessing that since this is a daytime launch that the fairings are heating up fro the sun as convection flux is aroud 50 constantly and radiative flux around -60.

These pics are after losing both solar panels at the pad watching as in a matter of minutes as their skin temp blazes up to 800ish or whatever is has to be for poof, and right before a bunch more parts poof.

http://imgur.com/a/5RoR3 Look at the Ext temp which would be inside the fairing

I think I know what the problem is. I was under the assumption that convection occlusion was checking a part property that cargo bays and fairings set that indicates they are shielded. I'm not sure that's the case anymore so the next update will have an additional shielding check in my code that will prevent convection from occurring if they were marked as shielded.

I am playing on a resized system SKY. Would that have any effect on solar heating?

Distance will have an effect, sure. Any physics changes will as well.

The skin conduction code is applying the skinHeatConductivity * part.heatConductivity which is a bad thing. It's fixed in the next update so that your configuration should work. (I need to do some testing of other parts of the update first because it's going to have a big increase on heating.

I think I know what the problem is. I was under the assumption that convection occlusion was checking a part property that cargo bays and fairings set that indicates they are shielded. I'm not sure that's the case anymore so the next update will have an additional shielding check in my code that will prevent convection from occurring if they were marked as shielded.

Distance will have an effect, sure. Any physics changes will as well.

If it ws module cargobay then FAR delets those. If not then either way I NEED that update. Jeb is getting tired of painting spf 1000 on the outside ofthe fairing and night time launches get old.

If it ws module cargobay then FAR delets those. If not then either way I NEED that update. Jeb is getting tired of painting spf 1000 on the outside ofthe fairing and night time launches get old.

Well FAR better be marking those parts as shielded in some way that I can see or Jeb better be applying for a volume discount

Well FAR better be marking those parts as shielded in some way that I can see or Jeb better be applying for a volume discount

IDK that he is then since he uses voxel now he relies on total occlusion to "make" cargo bays. So anything enclosed protects parts as you would expect. You may want to contact him to see what can be worked out.

IDK that he is then since he uses voxel now he relies on total occlusion to "make" cargo bays. So anything enclosed protects parts as you would expect. You may want to contact him to see what can be worked out.

He's marking it the same way the stock game does so it's good.

Had the same issue and did some troubleshooting on a clean ksp install.

Have you installed DRE/nuFAR with CKAN? Looks like the version of Modular Flight Integrator delivered by CKAN is not compatible with DRE. Spams the logfile with errors complaining about a modular flight integrator method which cannot be found. Try using the modular flight integrator thats bundled with DRE on github, that works for me. They have the same size but different md5 checksums.

I had the same problem. Just had to say - this was the exact issue. Thank for the help!

Under some conditions when pressing F10 (enabling Temperature Gauges) and disabling them, the gauges themself hide but the vessel's wings and control surfaces are still highlighted.

Easy reproducing.

3vYlXUT.png

Even without Dr installed and without the usage of farings the vessel tempertaure on the launchpad is over 300 degree. (using Thermometer and thermal Debugger) So I guess it's not Dr that is cooking your rockets on the pad. It just finishes the job as it is supposed to. Had s.o. tried using Dr without FAR?

Under some conditions when pressing F10 (enabling Temperature Gauges) and disabling them, the gauges themself hide but the vessel's wings and control surfaces are still highlighted.

Easy reproducing.

http://i.imgur.com/3vYlXUT.png

Are your part flashing red or do they keep glowing red ?

If they flash it is certainly a bug with F10 disabled.

But if they stay red it might be because these parts are actually really hot and then they glow a little even with F10 disabled, this is intended and stock.

I might be wrong though.

Even without Dr installed and without the usage of farings the vessel tempertaure on the launchpad is over 300 degree. (using Thermometer and thermal Debugger) So I guess it's not Dr that is cooking your rockets on the pad. It just finishes the job as it is supposed to. Had s.o. tried using Dr without FAR?

Are you familiar with Kelvin temperature scale? 300°K would be 27°C or 80°F. That's a room temperature basically.

But if they stay red it might be because these parts are actually really hot and then they glow a little even with F10 disabled, this is intended and stock.

I might be wrong though.

You're perfectly right. Squad has introduced a reddish glow for hot parts.

Edited by Enceos

Ok if Ksp is measuring in F rather than C it makes perfectly sense. But in this case I don't get wy it's colored as dark red in the thermal Debugger.

Exept Kerbals have a brodelt visual spectrum in the red wavelength of course 😜

Besides the issue that the fairings cooking parts inside stays. But if I understood Starwasters post that is on the todo list. Now it makes sense that a launch at night works perfectly with Dr and in daytime the payload becomes frech fried kerbal stew