[1.1.x] Space Shuttle Engines (2016-07-03)

sarbian

Which parts of the pack do you use?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Which parts of the pack do you use?

• X2 Engine
    • BB engines
    • Aerospike
    • Attachment points
    • Auto Stagers
    • Fuel Controllers
    • Radio Controller
    • Tank System
    • OMS system

How did you make the missile work?

AG1&2 make the transmitter radio transmit throttle and heading and AG 3 or 4.

AG 3 or 4 make the appropriate missile decouple and start a timer for 2 seconds that start the solid rocket booster on missile.

Since that SRB is pretty weak it don't fly too fast, but is cool enough to see it don't simple fall.

Would it be possible to display the current gimballing angle in the engine right-click menu? This way it would be easier to know how to pitch to burn prograde when an external tank is still attached.

Or, well I'm extrapolating now, add a thrust vector marker on the navball? That would be cool.

AG1&2 make the transmitter radio transmit throttle and heading and AG 3 or 4.

AG 3 or 4 make the appropriate missile decouple and start a timer for 2 seconds that start the solid rocket booster on missile.

Since that SRB is pretty weak it don't fly too fast, but is cool enough to see it don't simple fall.

Nice :D, this has given me an idea to launch an entire fleet of missiles at once!

Weird issue, just discovered last night, with KM_Gimbal. My roll controls flip midway through launch (that is, engines gimbal in reverse direction under roll command). Haven't narrowed down why yet, but if anyone else has experienced this...?

Nathan, cluld you share a craft file so that I can debug it?

Cheers!

Well *(&@(*%&@ I totally missed your response. Many apologies!

I'm going to see if I can replicate it on a less modded install, first. Unless you happen to be playing RSS/RF/RO/etc. :)

The craft I used was this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/itismns0lj95ccf/Aquarius.craft

It uses the old Bronco from Novapunch1 (which doesn't have any issues), the stock 24-77s (which do) and the K-2X from NP2 (presumably ok, don't know; I bailed when roll went wonky during first stage burn). Pod at the top is FASA's Mercury. Tanks are stretchies. Using Realism Overhaul + RftSEngines (from RO thread), RSS/RF/DRE/Stretchy/FAR/etc (the usual full RSS setup), *plus* my RO patch for FASA (available in post 2 of the RO thread).

A thing to check: CoM going too far up (it happens when first stage is about 3/4 dry, so CoM has climbed up the rocket a lot). However, unless there's a bug elsewhere, it shouldn't *reverse* itself, it'll always be above the gimbals.

Hi! Great mod dtobi! I think I've found a small bug though. I noticed it when I tested out one of my shuttles, which I usually do by getting it airborne from the runway using the tiny oms engines for thrust.

What happens is that my shuttles always tend to steer to the left or right when on the runway, and they always wants to roll/yaw to the same direction in the air. It dissappeared when gliding back to KSC. Been using KJR and a bunch of B9 struts - it's not that issue.

I took a close look att the exhausts from the OMS yesterday and it's clearly visible that the thrust isn't centered from the middle of the engine. So, when in SPH and using MM symmetri it seems as if the game attaches these engines in the same direction on both sides. The problem dissappears if you rotate one engine 180 degrees. I've tested this with the double nozzle engine only. This may apply to the other one as well. Maybe everybody already knows this, but it sure took me a while to figure it out :)

I'm trying to create a system with the radios where jettisoned external tanks burn at 50% throttle while departing to make them drift horizontally away from the body (like the space shuttle's srb's do) instead of grinding down virtually against the rocket at 0% thrust, but I can't get the radio's to control throttle properly, there's so many repeated variables in the tweakables and in the action group options :/ can anyone shed any light?

Hi! Great mod dtobi! I think I've found a small bug though. I noticed it when I tested out one of my shuttles, which I usually do by getting it airborne from the runway using the tiny oms engines for thrust.

What happens is that my shuttles always tend to steer to the left or right when on the runway, and they always wants to roll/yaw to the same direction in the air. It dissappeared when gliding back to KSC. Been using KJR and a bunch of B9 struts - it's not that issue.

I took a close look att the exhausts from the OMS yesterday and it's clearly visible that the thrust isn't centered from the middle of the engine. So, when in SPH and using MM symmetri it seems as if the game attaches these engines in the same direction on both sides. The problem dissappears if you rotate one engine 180 degrees. I've tested this with the double nozzle engine only. This may apply to the other one as well. Maybe everybody already knows this, but it sure took me a while to figure it out :)

Yeah the OMS thrust is definitely not centred ,I have checked with ksp rcs build aid (using the engine ability) and it always causes my ship to nose up/down :/

Yeah, this has been a problem for a LOOOOONG time, but dtobi hasn't gotten around to fixing it yet. For now, we'll just have to rotate one engine 180 degrees.

Yeah, this has been a problem for a LOOOOONG time, but dtobi hasn't gotten around to fixing it yet. For now, we'll just have to rotate one engine 180 degrees.

The inclination is the same for both nozzles. I believe the tool only looks at the first thrust transform and displays that. The engines are slightly off. I will fix that in the next release. But that slight offset does not explain the very wrong display in the RCS build helper tool.

I'm on in nonetheless.

EDIT: I fixed the issue. The fix will be in the next version.

Edited by dtobi

I'm trying to create a system with the radios where jettisoned external tanks burn at 50% throttle while departing to make them drift horizontally away from the body (like the space shuttle's srb's do) instead of grinding down virtually against the rocket at 0% thrust, but I can't get the radio's to control throttle properly, there's so many repeated variables in the tweakables and in the action group options :/ can anyone shed any light?

You mean like this?

Craft file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rp0wepdpl9948zy/KM%20Booster%20Sep.craft

Rebuilt the craft and unflipped my verniers. They're solid now. However, now the upper stage engine has inverted yaw and pitch after staging to it. Very puzzling.

Hello Nathan, I'd like to reproduce the issue you had. Did you have any luck with a more stock like KSP? I don't have RSS and most of your other mods installed.

Ha! stunning example, yeah figured out the externals needed a pod/computer attached aswell as the radio to control its throttle, (may be worth mentioning on the page if it isn't already) also my realistic engine's config was giving some engines no throttle control :/ Got it figured now though :)

Experiencing a bug with the altimeter. The altimeter will always fire when it goes below ~10000m. This only happens while on kerbin while my second stage is falling back to Kerbin. They are falling above water so i'm not sure if the terrain thing works above water? the altitude reads as -1 bellow 10,000.

quickly had a look at the code and guess the problem lies on this line in KM_Altimeter:

this.currentAlt = (double) this.currentAlt < 10000.0 ? (float) (double) this.get_vessel().heightFromTerrain : this.currentAlt;

dont have any idea about KSP mods though i just had a peek at the decomplied dll seems very likely that it would be something to do with this though!

Experiencing a bug with the altimeter. The altimeter will always fire when it goes below ~10000m. This only happens while on kerbin while my second stage is falling back to Kerbin. They are falling above water so i'm not sure if the terrain thing works above water? the altitude reads as -1 bellow 10,000.

quickly had a look at the code and guess the problem lies on this line in KM_Altimeter:

this.currentAlt = (double) this.currentAlt < 10000.0 ? (float) (double) this.get_vessel().heightFromTerrain : this.currentAlt;

dont have any idea about KSP mods though i just had a peek at the decomplied dll seems very likely that it would be something to do with this though!

Hmmm. Could you post a screenshot of the tweakables menu in the VAB? What height does the altimeter smart party show (right click menu) when it fires?

Hmmm am i the only one thinking that some engines have wrong isp values? I mean the FSX2 and the FSX0 have 380(ASL) and 330(VAC)?

I really love this Mod, sooo much new awesome tools to play around with :)

I will swap the vac and ask values in the 1.0 version. I got that comment from quite some people.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.