[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

My config for NovaPunch 2.03.5 test release works for 2.04, since there is no changes in normal map names.

Here is the link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-l1kSh8cSSASThuNUZjSGpVa1U/edit?usp=sharing

I left strings for pre-2.04 parts (SRBs), in case someone wants to use them with 2.04.

Please add this config to the next ATM release :)

Hello, does anybody else have a problem with the mod and Engineer Redux? I use the newest version and somehow when I have ATM active, the engineer and flight chip is not in the parts and all vehicles having that one are marked as "invalid".

I meant i used basic version, installed aggressive, and then reverted back. I understand the ram issue, but i didn't have any ram related crash, only red errors in .log so i assumed it was ATM fault. Turned it was different mod.

So i'm deeply sorry for my earlier accusation.

TY very much, made my day. I was at 3.5 gig heavy modded with the good stuff, then added the [0.23] Squad Texture Reduction Pack - B9 and KW Packs also, should add these 2 mods.

on start up, kind of freak out as it froze as I know my mods runs out of memory, so I waited , then it started to load, yay !!! not advertising the other mod, but man they work great together

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/shrinkalater-0-21-1a-stock/

it went down to 2.9 gig, added this mod and it went down to 2.4 gig amazing!!!! its running like crazy, fast loads, its like I don`t got mods, time to add more mods I wanted :) ty ty ty

omg, so good to be able to play the game and load mods I couldn`t before, using the aggressive version, first thing players should do when getting this game

Edited by mjy

Could someone suggest what config settings I could use for IVA's? I never use IVA's so I would like to delete them, but that seems to cause some issues. So instead I would like to use ATM to drastically reduce their RAM usage.

In my KSP.log, there's an error coming up with Active Texture Management. I'm running KSP 64 bit on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. Here are the relevant parts of the KSP.log. I can furnish the whole log if you need me to.

[LOG 11:12:41.256] [ModuleManager] Exception while checking needs : BoulderCo/ActiveTextureManagerConfigs/BoulderCo/ACTIVE_TEXTURE_MANAGER_CONFIG
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at ConfigNode.CopyToRecursive (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ConfigNode.CopyToRecursive (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ConfigNode.CopyTo (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ModuleManager.ConfigManager.CheckNeeds (.ConfigNode subMod) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ModuleManager.ConfigManager.CheckNeeds (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 excludePaths) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Something's causing my game to crash while loading, and I think it might be this. I don't know for sure though.

In my KSP.log, there's an error coming up with Active Texture Management. I'm running KSP 64 bit on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. Here are the relevant parts of the KSP.log. I can furnish the whole log if you need me to.

[LOG 11:12:41.256] [ModuleManager] Exception while checking needs : BoulderCo/ActiveTextureManagerConfigs/BoulderCo/ACTIVE_TEXTURE_MANAGER_CONFIG
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at ConfigNode.CopyTo (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ModuleManager.ConfigManager.CheckNeeds (.ConfigNode subMod) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ModuleManager.ConfigManager.CheckNeeds (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 excludePaths) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Something's causing my game to crash while loading, and I think it might be this. I don't know for sure though.

Why do you use ATM with the 64bit application?:blush:

Why do you use ATM with the 64bit application?:blush:

I personally use this mod for reduced CPU usage, which actually lets me play without noticable framerate reduction :)

Also, the 64-bit linux version is native 64-bit, not a PAE patched version - true 64-bit improves CPU performance, as running x86_32 code on an x86_64 CPU is a bit different :)

I personally use this mod for reduced CPU usage, which actually lets me play without noticable framerate reduction :)

Also, the 64-bit linux version is native 64-bit, not a PAE patched version - true 64-bit improves CPU performance, as running x86_32 code on an x86_64 CPU is a bit different :)

I know, currently the Linux guys have a real advantage in KSP compared to us others :(

How many parts can your crafts have, until frames drop dramatically?

My RAM is already bloated by just starting a craft, and that with a ATM agressive and LoD.

My RAM is already bloated by just starting a craft, and that with a ATM agressive and LoD.

True, true, absolutely.

Wasn't for this mod with aggressive settings, my career game (heavily, heavily modded) couldn't be done. And, I don't really use any of the big parts packs, but lots of plugins. But wasn't for the gain with the textures thanks to ATM, I would not have any RAM left even while just starting the game.

An issue I always have is RAM usage always increases, particularly every time I switch scenes (e.g. Flight to Space Center to Editor or back). Almost never is RAM let free, thought I expect some to be when modes/scenes change (shouldn't Unity deal with Garbage collection? ).

Not something I should expect ATM to deal with, anyway. Would be too good if textures were loaded and unloaded dynamically - that is, only kept in RAM when really useful, so when flying a vessel, only those textures that are in the parts with that vessel (and with the visible scenery) are kept loaded, all other textures that may have been loaded before (e.g. in the editor) unloaded when leaving that scene.

True, true, absolutely.

Wasn't for this mod with aggressive settings, my career game (heavily, heavily modded) couldn't be done. And, I don't really use any of the big parts packs, but lots of plugins. But wasn't for the gain with the textures thanks to ATM, I would not have any RAM left even while just starting the game.

An issue I always have is RAM usage always increases, particularly every time I switch scenes (e.g. Flight to Space Center to Editor or back). Almost never is RAM let free, thought I expect some to be when modes/scenes change (shouldn't Unity deal with Garbage collection? ).

Not something I should expect ATM to deal with, anyway. Would be too good if textures were loaded and unloaded dynamically - that is, only kept in RAM when really useful, so when flying a vessel, only those textures that are in the parts with that vessel (and with the visible scenery) are kept loaded, all other textures that may have been loaded before (e.g. in the editor) unloaded when leaving that scene.

If you want it OCD then the Textures should only once be in the RAM, while they are loaded from the HDD to the VRAM so the GPU can do all the fancy stuff with it, that way the RAM would be free for other operations.

No unity garbage collector is just garbage.

I already ran into memory problems while programming a little mobile game.

Strange, as soon as I switch back into the space center view I get at least a tiny bit or RAM back but that is already beeing covered as soon as I go anywhere else.

I'm somehow happy that the list of mods I'm using does no longer increase on a daily basis :D

I know, currently the Linux guys have a real advantage in KSP compared to us others :(

How many parts can your crafts have, until frames drop dramatically?

Around 40-60, I think. I am using a tiny netbook with a mid/low-end i3 and onboard graphics.

Around 40-60, I think. I am using a tiny netbook with a mid/low-end i3 and onboard graphics.

:D:D:D I thought it owuld be a desktop machine.

Mine is decreasing at around 400 parts, and currently my sattelite puller with 6 docked has about 1200 parts, it was a hell to dock them. but textures are just about 80 so ist about 250MB RAM ist not that much, where is all there memory gone ;.;

This is great, however the large gap between aggresive and basic, is there a config thats in between this?, with basic i hit 3.5gb use, with aggresive 3gb..........anything around 3.2/3.3 possible? :D

Why do you want this?

combat squirrel: yes. Open ATM's config file (in the ATM folder) and find the line scale = 2

Change it to scale = 1

That will keep some of aggressive's scaling, but not all, and should have much less reduction in visual fidelity than normal aggressive, while still freeing more RAM than basic.

Why do you want this?

Use the extra available accessable ram to have higher quality yet stay under 3.5gb

combat squirrel: yes. Open ATM's config file (in the ATM folder) and find the line scale = 2

Change it to scale = 1

That will keep some of aggressive's scaling, but not all, and should have much less reduction in visual fidelity than normal aggressive, while still freeing more RAM than basic.

Thank you :) Trying this now

EDIT: That worked PERFECTLY, I have higher fidelity textures on my ships now and sitting at 3.2gb exactly! :D thanks :D

this isn't working for me. I installed the folders in game data (as I would any other mod) booted ksp up (23.5 from ksp.app not from launcher.) and the game loaded at normal speed and froze at mk 1 pod internal model. I checked the .log file and it said the config.cfg was empty (so I re downloaded the mod and put in a fresh config.cfg) booted again same result. What am I doing wrong?.

Specs: Macosx verson 23.5 running off an 4gig flashdrive.

Edited by DarthVader