[1.12] Extraplanetary Launchpads v6.99.3

taniwha

the aluminum is from the interstellar mod

I tried yours. it also did not work. it looked like it was just a one line version of mine

Ok so I tested a couple other resources from interstellar. UF4 and ThF4 both work but I can not get Aluminum to work. Why do you want to use aluminum? From what I can tell it isn't mineable and is only used in one part.

Ok so I tested a couple other resources from interstellar. UF4 and ThF4 both work but I can not get Aluminum to work. Why do you want to use aluminum? From what I can tell it isn't mineable and is only used in one part.

I wanted to use it because aluminum is a metal, and I wanted to be able to use interstellar-based mining vessels

Technically Uranium is also a metal and there is a non-radioactive (read very low radiation) derivative. So you could use that. Going through the config files for interstellar leads me to believe that aluminum is not a mineable resource. I may be wrong, could always ask in the interstellar thread.

Technically Uranium is also a metal and there is a non-radioactive (read very low radiation) derivative. So you could use that. Going through the config files for interstellar leads me to believe that aluminum is not a mineable resource. I may be wrong, could always ask in the interstellar thread.

I picked aluminum because it is light, reasonably strong, and is likely used in real rockets. it was the most sensible of the metallic options

also, what version of ksp, interstellar, and module manager are you using to test?

Edited by klikkolee

You can mine aluminum on Mun and, IIRC, Ike, using the ISRU refinery. What you produce by mining is alumina, the ore, which the ISRU refinery can then electrolyze into elemental aluminum and oxidizer.

The only tank for elemental aluminum is built into the hybrid rocket itself.

I still think the most likely problem with the config file that was posted is the converter not actually having access to aluminum,

You can mine aluminum on Mun and, IIRC, Ike, using the ISRU refinery. What you produce by mining is alumina, the ore, which the ISRU refinery can then electrolyze into elemental aluminum and oxidizer.

The only tank for elemental aluminum is built into the hybrid rocket itself.

I still think the most likely problem with the config file that was posted is the converter not actually having access to aluminum,

the issue that we are having is that module manager will not recognize the file with the aluminum. the converter will have access to the aluminum; aluminum has the same flow mode as liquid fuel, so it can reach the part just as easily as liquid fuel. as for storage, I created a modded part to hold the aluminum.

Hi, I'm new to this mod and have a couple of questions. Sorry if these have been answered but I simply do not have the time to scour 100+ pages.

1. Do I need to have anything physically attached to a landed launch pad or will I need to attach things via pipes, cables, ect.? If so, what would those be and how?

2. Is it absolutely necessary to mine for ore? Can I just bring up those canisters of parts and be fine? I know that drilling for Kethane is an absolute must.

3. Is there any way to bolt the launch pad to the surface?

4. Would there be a video walkthrough explaining, in detail, the use of this mod?

Thanks very much. :)

I had these exact questions when I started.

1. Do I need to have anything physically attached to a landed launch pad or will I need to attach things via pipes, cables, ect.? If so, what would those be and how?
They must be physically connected. You can do it with docking ports technically, but a far better option is to get Kerbal Attachment System to connect pieces together.
2. Is it absolutely necessary to mine for ore? Can I just bring up those canisters of parts and be fine? I know that drilling for Kethane is an absolute must.
If you don't have Kethane installed, you can always build for free. If you do (and you seem to) you always need rocket parts. You can always just bring up full containers from Kerbin, but the power of this mod is to take a small amount of stuff to a far off place and mine the resources there. You can right click the containers in the VAB and add stuff to them.
3. Is there any way to bolt the launch pad to the surface?
Kerbal Attachment System allows for this. I (again) recommend it :)
4. Would there be a video walkthrough explaining, in detail, the use of this mod?

Not really a walkthrough, but I do a lot of ELP stuff in my series. I get a base working on and in orbit around Minmus somewhere in season 2 I think. Peruse the "season 1" and "season 2" links in my sig, I even named an episode "Extra-planetary launchpads" and IIRC that was the first of a 2-parter.

Thanks for the info but could I ask you to be a little more specific?

1. What exactly do I need to have physically attached to the launchpad for full functionality?

2. When you say to use KAS; How? I've never had to do any type of attachment with the KAS mod other than for fuel transfers in orbit. I've never attached anything to a planet's surface before as well.

I'll definitely be watching your videos soon (as soon as my wife goes to work). Thanks for those as I've seen very little on Youtube concerning this mod (in English, anyway).

1. What exactly do I need to have physically attached to the launchpad for full functionality?

2. When you say to use KAS; How? I've never had to do any type of attachment with the KAS mod other than for fuel transfers in orbit. I've never attached anything to a planet's surface before as well.

1. Physically attached: any crewed part will work if you have progressive builds turned. They will still work with it on but the workshop (blue cylinder part) is the best. Must be crewed by reasonably intelligent kerbals (check their stupidity stat in astronaut complex). Storage containers with rocket parts and fuel. Enough batteries to give the built ship at least some electric charge. Basically anything a ship might need once it is built needs to be either directly or indirectly attached to the launchpad

2. KAS is used to attach the different pieces after they have landed or to transfer resources from a supply ship. AFAIK you can't attach the launchpad to the planet.

I'll definitely be watching your videos soon (as soon as my wife goes to work). Thanks for those as I've seen very little on Youtube concerning this mod (in English, anyway).

More specifically:

Building a rocket takes rocket parts and a launchpad of some sort to create the rocket on. If you have progressive builds on, it also requires living space (preferably the one that came with the mod, whose name I don't remember. I don't use progressive builds in my saves) and SMART Kerbals. Their "Stupidity" rating must be lower than half and should hopefully be really really low. These 2 or 3 things (containers that have rocket parts in them, the launch pad, and if necessary the crewed stations) must be physically connected in a single "ship." That ship is frequently an orbiting station or a landed base.

Making rocket parts requires metal and a rocket workshop. You don't need any Kerbals on site. You also require rocket part containers to put the rocket parts you make somewhere. These all need to be connected to each other, but do NOT need to be connected to the above station. If they're not connected, though, you need a ship or rover to drive or fly the rocket parts from here to the above base.

Making metal requires ore and a furnace or smelter. Again you don't need Kerbals but you do need an empty metal container to store the metal. Again, these all need to be connected to each other, but do NOT need to be connected to the above. If they're not connected, though, you need a ship or rover to drive or fly the metal from here to the above base.

Making ore requires a drill sitting on the surface of a planet on an ore deposit. And an empty ore container. And again, these need to be connected to each other, but do NOT need to be connected to the above. If they're not connected, though, you need a ship or rover to drive or fly the ore from here to the above base.

The simplest thing to do is to land all 4 of those things on the ground and then link them with Kerbal Attachment System. The second easiest is to land some of them and orbit others, and have a ship to fly one of the resources up to the orbiting station from the base.

There are any number of creative options but that's the basics.

Only two issues I have with the new version. This is for the landing pad only(the one with built in engines)

1. Craft spawn a bit distance off.

-Good idea, keep it, only problem is that when its attached to an asteroid, spawning a craft rips the pad apart

2. When in career, craft take forever to build.

-I understand the reasoning behind this, but when i spawn a simple, 30 part science craft in space, i have to wait several hours IRL for it to build and spawn. It completely negates the usefulness of the mod.

I've tried turning progressive builds on and off, does nothing to change this. And timewarp does not affect it at all.

What is "allow progressive builds" anyway?

This is an amazing mod, one of the few that I will never delete, for I have deemed them "necessary" for the games enjoyment.

2. When in career, craft take forever to build.

-I understand the reasoning behind this, but when i spawn a simple, 30 part science craft in space, i have to wait several hours IRL for it to build and spawn. It completely negates the usefulness of the mod.

I've tried turning progressive builds on and off, does nothing to change this. And timewarp does not affect it at all.

This sounds like a bug. Time warp should (and, on my install, does) affect build rate.

What is "allow progressive builds" anyway?

Progressive builds take time, but you can keep feeding them resources to build the rocket so if your rocket take 10k rocket parts, you don't need 10k parts on hand.

Not allowing progressive builds means your craft will be built immediately but you need all 10k parts available at the time of building.

Hello

I'm new to this mod, so bear with me. I've also tried searching for answers to my questions, but haven't found anything.

Can anyone explain to me the basics for this mod? KSP is up to date, I've got version 4.1.2 of this mod, which is up to date AFAIK. I don't have Kethane installed, and I'm still not sure if it's required or not.

I've been trying to get it to work, but I haven't found a worthwhile tutorial for this mod. I'll attempt to load something, but when I click on the 'load' button, nothing happens. What exactly do I need to launch a ship? Additionally, is it possible to launch spaceplanes and aircraft, or is this only for rockets?

All I want to do is set up launch sites and test stuff, particularly on and around Kerbin. For now I don't want to have to deal with build times or resources, is that possible? I also don't want to have to install Kethane because I've already got a ton of other mods and am pushing the limits for memory space right now.

Sorry if my post is kinda jumbled and jumping from question to question but I'm really confused about this mod right now. Any info helps.

Hello

I'm new to this mod, so bear with me. I've also tried searching for answers to my questions, but haven't found anything.

You looked everywhere but what was the last page of this thread when you made your post, where I detailed how the mod works for someone else :)

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/59545-0-23-5-Extraplanetary-Launchpads-v4-1-2?p=1154468&viewfull=1#post1154468

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/59545-0-23-5-Extraplanetary-Launchpads-v4-1-2?p=1156385&viewfull=1#post1156385

Hidden in plain sight I guess :confused:

Anyways, what would be the cause of the launch pad not loading ships? Do I still need to have all the components like the smelter and ore bins and stuff attached even if I'm not using resources/Kethane? Probably a dumb question, I know, but I'm still kinda confused about the building for free without Kethane bit.

Thanks

been trying with tons of installed, never tried it alone, but not fun w/o other mods, got these installed and game crashes, is there a conflict u know with these?

custom asteroids

Aviation lights v3.6

cleverbobcat 1.3.0.0

enterprise

firespitter pre

Fl1_v0.4Wheels

FreelancerMk2

GoodspeedAerospaceParts-2014.4.1B

Hooligan-Labs-Airships-V2.6.0

InfernalRobotics0.15b

IonHybElec_Pack30.08

KAS_v0.4.7

KerbalJointReinforcement_v2.3

Kethane-0.8.5

KW-Release-Package-v2.5.6B

NFJTrussPack_V0.14

MechJeb2-2.2.1.0

SurfaceLights

m.m.m1

bahaELpartsv1.2

Romfarer_RoboticArmsPack_v31

those are added with ksp mod adm. v1.4.0

added e.v.e and astronomer mod

also added hyper edit manualy

I see several large parts packs. I suspect you're running into the 32-bit memory limits. I suggest looking into one of the texture reduction mods or running 64-bit on linux (be sure to check out the patches for 64-bit if you go that route).

I just had an idea for what we can do with the recyclers.

Instead of the boring old recycling bins that vaporize entire ships, we could get BahaD to make a space grinder which can destroy individual parts on a vessel (and Kerbals :P) while preserving the metal and resources contained within the part. This would be much nicer system than simply instantly obliterating the craft. :cool:

Hello,

Having an issue where:

I load the ship / loads up just fine

Press build / ship pop right up

hit release..... then.... well... its there i can see it.... but i cant interact with it, cant see it on the map and dosent pop up on the list of ships at the space center.... and when i go back to the build ship.... its gone... help?

Hello, is this mode implemented in Career Mode?

By the way, why module manager for pods to be used as workshops? How that works? I mean it says it is for editing porpouses.

Thanks.

Edited by InF3RNo

Hello, is this mode implemented in Career Mode?

By the way, why module manager for pods to be used as workshops? How that works? I mean it says it is for editing porpouses.

Thanks.

Yes, it works for career mode. Most of the mod's capabilities are unlocked when you research Advanced Construction (the tech that gives you the Rockomax decouplers and the small Rockomax fuel tank). And module manager *is* for editing purposes -- specifically, Extraplanetary Launchpads uses it to edit pods to have workshop capabilities.

If you don't like module manager, you can still play EL, it's just that only EL's official workshop part will have any effect on your build rate.