[1.12.x] Ship Manifest (Crew, Science, & Resources) - v 6.0.8.0 - 28 Apr 23

Papa_Joe

@Papa_Joe

What do you mean professions are tied to names? Does that mean I am able to pick a kerbals profession when creating them by naming them in some certain way? I am confused. I appreciate the help really enjoy the mod!

That is my understanding. I'm going to dig into this and see what's what. I must admit I'm uninformed on the professions features added with 0.25 and enhanced with 0.90.

So, I'm going to educate myself and come back here with a solid answer, and maybe a few new features around the Roster Window.

This will be nice to hear. I've been puzzling ever since learning it was done this way as to why in the world Squad would do that

Testing update.

So far, I've not been able to control the profession on creation. I'm still exploring the object model, and there is still much to learn and test, but I have confirmed that changing the name definitely changes the profession.

I'm guessing here, but it would make sense that Squad chose to make names immutable. If you change the name, you are effectively making it a different kerbal. Squad has a random kerbal generator (That I've been using all along), so I'm also thinking you have no control over the recruitment, other than selection of the candidates you wish to hire, but I've not played with the Progression part of the game much (I'm mostly sandbox myself).

Also it seems you can generate tourists, so creating "passengers" looks like a possibility. Virgin galactic and space tourism contracts anyone?

I'll report back when I have more, but I did want to let you know what I've learned so far.

Edit: I just realized, that there may be a way to manage what we want to accomplish. I can randomly generate any number of kerbals I desire. All I have to do is interrogate what profession is created, and repeat the process until the desired profession is created.... let me play with that....

Be back soon....

Edited by Papa_Joe

@Papa_Joe

What do you mean professions are tied to names? Does that mean I am able to pick a kerbals profession when creating them by naming them in some certain way? I am confused. I appreciate the help really enjoy the mod!

Squad was apparently a bit lazy when they added professions, instead of giving kerbals another attribute that could be tweaked, they're doing something like taking the hash of the kerbal's name and using that value to determine profession.

Testing update.

Edit: I just realized, that there may be a way to manage what we want to accomplish. I can randomly generate any number of kerbals I desire. All I have to do is interrogate what profession is created, and repeat the process until the desired profession is created.... let me play with that....

Be back soon....

Worked like a charm. I can now create a kerbal on demand. Want a pilot? you got it... want an Engineer or Scientist? done.

Will be in the next release. BTW, I found a bug in my debug code, that causes tootips to generate debug log entries. It is benign, but I'll issue an update very soon with corrections to the config.xml (for my window positioning error), the bugfix for the tooltip log entry issue, and to add the ability to create a specific Kerbal. I'm also going to remove the ability to rename a kerbal on creation, as it makes no sense to have it now.

Coming soon. 0.90.0_4.0.1

Edited by Papa_Joe
sentence format (missing parenthetical), and spelling

New version.

Version 0.90.0_4.0.1 - Release 08 Feb, 2015 - CLS Hatches, CLS Highlighting, Mod Refactoring and More Edition.

- New: 4.0.1 - Added Create specific Kerbal Type in Roster Window: Now you can choose Pilot, Engineer or Scientist!

- New: 4.0.1 - Bug fix for unneeded debug log entry from tooltips

- New: 4.0.1 - Bug Fix for Non reset Window positions in Config.xml

Edited by Papa_Joe

New version.

Version 0.90.0_4.0.1 - Release 08 Feb, 2015 - CLS Hatches, CLS Highlighting, Mod Refactoring and More Edition.

- New: 4.0.1 - Added Create specific Kerbal Type in Roster Window: Now you can choose Pilot, Engineer or Scientist!

- New: 4.0.1 - Bug fix for unneeded debug log entry from tooltips

- New: 4.0.1 - Bug Fix for Non reset Window positions in Config.xml

Very usefull addition to choose the profession

Very cool! How did you do this? Is it something in your mod or did you find a way to change careers while keeping the names using the goofy way stock careers work?

Very usefull addition to choose the profession

Thanks! I thought it would be with the new emphasis on kerbals and experience.

Very cool! How did you do this? Is it something in your mod or did you find a way to change careers while keeping the names using the goofy way stock careers work?

I wish I could claim some wizardry, but I used a brute force approach. Since the profession changes when you change the name, you really cannot choose the name (you could have to go thru quite a few names).. BUT... I can randomly create any number of kerbals before I add them to the game, so I simply run a random kerbal generation loop until I create one with the desired profession. I then present that to you for characteristics editing. when you hit apply it then gets added to the game.

For those that care about such things... Professions are found in the Epxerience.ExperienceTrait object. I tried to assign an existing Experience Trait to a Kerbal of my choosing, but it does not seem to take. Obviously, I still have more to learn, and there may yet be a way to also choose the name... I've not given up. :D

Edited by Papa_Joe

Thanks for the update, diplaying professions is really useful. But with the latest version 0.90.0_4.0.1 , source/target highlighting seems to be broken. In the settings the CLS highlighting was selected, I do not have CLS installed. Is it required? And even when I selected 'Highlight only source / target parts' it doesn't seem to work.

Thanks for the update, diplaying professions is really useful. But with the latest version 0.90.0_4.0.1 , source/target highlighting seems to be broken. In the settings the CLS highlighting was selected, I do not have CLS installed. Is it required? And even when I selected 'Highlight only source / target parts' it doesn't seem to work.

Interesting... I did not touch the highlighting with this update... however, try turning off CLS Highlighing in Settnigs. CLS is NOT required for use, and I thought I had a flag check for if CLS is enabled... I'll do some testing at my end.

Thanks for the feedback and let me know if that works for you... Also, are you seeing any errors in the Debugger Window?

Edit. Based on my testing, it seems to work... Is Enable CLS on in your settings (even if it is grayed out)?

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting... I did not touch the highlighting with this update... however, try turning off CLS Highlighing in Settnigs. CLS is NOT required for use, and I thought I had a flag check for if CLS is enabled... I'll do some testing at my end.

Thanks for the feedback and let me know if that works for you... Also, are you seeing any errors in the Debugger Window?

Edit. Based on my testing, it seems to work... Is Enable CLS on in your settings (even if it is grayed out)?

Okay, with my testing I see the following behavior:

1. If I remove CLS and have CLS enabled, the plugin properly detects this and turns off Enable CLS. CLS Highlighting is still on, but disabled. (correct behavior).

2. If I have Crew Selected, and then change the Highlight setting to Only Source and target, CLS Highlighting switch turns off (correct), but the standard highlighting stays on the vessel (incorrect).

3. If I deselect Crew and then reselect crew, highlighting turns off and then back on in the correct Source and target only mode (correct, except for having to deselect and reselect Crew)

I also noted that the above behavior for 2 and 3 with CLS installed.

I will correct that behavior in the next release, but simply reselecting Crew corrects it, so not urgent.

Does that describe your issue?

Edited by Papa_Joe

I wish I could claim some wizardry, but I used a brute force approach. Since the profession changes when you change the name, you really cannot choose the name (you could have to go thru quite a few names).. BUT... I can randomly create any number of kerbals before I add them to the game, so I simply run a random kerbal generation loop until I create one with the desired profession. I then present that to you for characteristics editing. when you hit apply it then gets added to the game.

Awww too bad. I want to be able to set both the names AND professions. Still very cool that this is available but sadly doesn't do what I want :)

Agreed, and I'm not giving up yet :D

I had an epiphany, and it doesn't SEEM to crash the game :D

careers.jpg

How'd I do it? I used ascii code 1 (In notepad++ you can get it by holding alt and hitting 1 on the number pad. It looks like a smiley face) at the end of the name. The first one on that list in that pic is just "Kerman." The second one is named Kerman:) and the third is Kerman:):) and on and on down the line.

As I said I didn't test it much, mostly just to see if it worked and to see if the :) character stayed in the file after viewing the Astronaut Complex.

But by all means feel free to experiment with this yourself.

I had an epiphany, and it doesn't SEEM to crash the game :D

Image...

How'd I do it? I used ascii code 1 (In notepad++ you can get it by holding alt and hitting 1 on the number pad. It looks like a smiley face) at the end of the name. The first one on that list in that pic is just "Kerman." The second one is named Kerman:) and the third is Kerman:):) and on and on down the line.

As I said I didn't test it much, mostly just to see if it worked and to see if the :) character stayed in the file after viewing the Astronaut Complex.

But by all means feel free to experiment with this yourself.

Ok, so you did this in the Astronaut complex? Do you get to pick the name there? If so, normally you just get what you get, right? Let me take a look at this... ingenious..

Edited by Papa_Joe

Ok, so you did this in the Astronaut complex? Do you get to pick the name there? If so, normally you just get what you get, right? Let me take a look at this... ingenious..

I got it in by editing the persistent.sfs file directly. I first edited it to have 13 "CrashDummy Kerman"s (instead of the 13 randomly named guys already there) and then added the alt-1 characters to each last name. Then I saved the file, loaded the save, and it worked.

Ok, so preliminary testing shows that it WORKS!

I created a pilot, and renamed it to my desired name. I then automatically append an ascii 1 to the name.

Apply the change, and voila! Renamed Kerbal... I wonder what affects that may have.... interesting... I'm testing Editing of an existing Kerbal now...

Editing works! Way cool!

@ 5thHorseman: Nicely done! I'll spend some time working with it, but I think I'll post an updated DLL for you all to test... Not ready for release yet, as I think this needs some "playtesting" to be sure it has no adverse affects. Anyone brave enough, just replace the existing ShipManifest DLL with the revised one when I post it.

Of course, as with any experimental, please backup your save game!

Screen shot:

3G1Fm5b.png

Edited by Papa_Joe

I still have more to learn, and there may yet be a way to also choose the name... I've not given up. :D

At best in the current version, you could let the player enter a name - then immediately tell them what the profession will be (by creating the Kerbal in the background)? The player would have to manually tweak the name to get the profession that they really want.

For example, "Dr Feelgood" might be a pilot, but "Dr. Feelgood" might be an engineer based on how KSP 0.90 assigns professions.

At best in the current version, you could let the player enter a name - then immediately tell them what the profession will be (by creating the Kerbal in the background)? The player would have to manually tweak the name to get the profession that they really want.

For example, "Dr Feelgood" might be a pilot, but "Dr. Feelgood" might be an engineer based on how KSP 0.90 assigns professions.

In theory, this would work, but you would have to go thru possibly many names to achieve the desired results. Based on testing described above it seems we may have a hack that will work. I'm going to test it a lot, but based on what I'm seeing in terms of the object model, It may well work just fine.

I will however, take a look at your method. I had been thinking of that, but felt is was possibly annoying, based on the sheer number of kerbals you may have to go thru.

It is a solution that does NOT require a hack, so it has value.

Edited by Papa_Joe

Wow... Interesting.

I just made some changes to support WuphonsReach's suggestion, and made a startling discovery...

I swore I tested name changes earlier today and verified that they changed the profession. I just know I did... I'm not getting that now. It may be due to my new method for creating a Kerbal, but edits seem to work too... very strange.

Anyway, here is what I know now and have working in SM.

1. When i create a kerbal, I cycle thru the random kerbal generator to come up with the profession desired.

2. I then present this kerbal to the user for editing. I've enabled renaming, and removed the hack.

3. When I change the name and hit apply, It now works...

4. If I edit an existing kerbal, and rename it, it works... No hack.

5. I then went into my save game, removed the ascii 1s for each Kerbal where I had added the hack and saved the changes.

6. I brought up the game, reloaded my save game and opened the Roster window... All names were correct, and professions were as well...

7. So I made some more changes, and professions stayed the same... very strange...

8. Closed the game gracefully, and restarted (Ensures a game save between restarts). Same results.

Going to do some more testing. But, we may now have the best of both worlds, and no hack.... I wonder if 0.90 fixed kerbal naming... Weird thing is I see nothing in the save to support maintaining the profession... (ExperienceTrait)

Going to do some more testing. But, we may now have the best of both worlds, and no hack.... I wonder if 0.90 fixed kerbal naming... Weird thing is I see nothing in the save to support maintaining the profession... (ExperienceTrait)

Very weird. 0.90 introduced professions so there's no way it was fixed in it. It was introduced in it! Maybe there's some sort of weird public/private name thing going on but I've no clue where that could be stored.