Chaka Monkey - Closed Development Thread

YANFRET

It was the PorkWorks IVAs, they arent updated to 24.2 and conflict with JSI apparently. Which makes me really sad because because I love those IVA's with all my heart. I'l make the update in a minute.

Is there a fix for them, are you waiting for porkworks to update to 24.2, or is it unfixable? Why was it working for you?

Edit: Are the Test modules supposed to be called that?

Edited by sp1989

Is there a fix for them, are you waiting for porkworks to update to 24.2, or is it unfixable? Why was it working for you?

Edit: Are the Test modules supposed to be called that?

I wish i knew why they only worked for me, thats frustrating. Porkworks is very busy right now so I will not bother him with it until he does a 24.2 update for his own pack. Then, hopefully they can come back.

For now we will use the ALCOR MONKEY IVA for all pods as a temporary fix, since its the best and provides great spacecraft control.

And lastly, sometimes I name parts acording to whatever development challenege im tackling at the time, and then the names kinda stick. Test Module is a funny example of that. By the way the term "adapter" in chaka speak designates a particular size.

Changelog:

Updated to 0.12
-Removed all PorkWorks IVA content to avoid terminal conflict with JSI (look forward to adding those back in the future)
-Changed all Pods and Habitat internals to ALCOR MONKEY IVA
-Updated some EEMLV Station craft files
-Added EEMLV - Station Core Truss and Station Science craft files
-Enlarged fairing on Munar 2x craft to prevent failure

Updated to 0.11
-Added missing ALCOR emissive texture which caused capsule to turn white if interior flood lights were turned on.
-Added instructional message to main page insisting on latest JSI release.

Updated to 0.1:
-Initial BETA release

• KSP 0.24.2 REQUIRED! / DELETE ALL PREVIOUS VERSION FILES!

• Recommend installing this pack into a clean KSP install for the first time.

• If you are using JSI, please make sure you have the most current version: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/57603-0-24-2-RasterPropMonitor-putting-the-A-in-your-IVA-%28v0-18-2%29-3-Aug

• Procedural Fairings DLL is included (required) in this download. Please be aware of potential conflicts if you have an older version already.

Notes:

Copy CMES to gamedata. Optional ALCOR props folder and CHATTERER product are licensed for distribution with Chaka Monkey.

Copy VAB folder to Ships

Copy Subassemblies to your save (optional)

Important:

SANDBOX MODE ONLY. Career mode support will occur with the next beta, in about two weeks.

Kerbal Joint Reinforcement is highly recommended.

Crew Manifest is required for transfer of kerbals (or monkeys) from one pod to another.

Before attempting to drive Alcor Monkey Rover, disable torque on rover base and alcor pod!!

Instructions:

All Chaka Monkey flight vehicles are optimized for the following flight path:

3csRsX.jpg

You don't have to use autopilot, but you can if you like. Feel free to experiment with other flight paths.

1) Launch Engineering Lander, Super Habitat, ALCOR Monkey Rover, and Duna Ascent Vehicle directly to Duna injection hohmann transfer.

2) Circularize landers at 62 km Duna orbit

3) Perform de orbit burn, separate transfer stage and inflate heatshield.

4) When you are within visual range of chosen landing site, stage vehicle to activate initial retro engine. Burn retro engine until lateral delta is as close to zero as possible.

5) Stage vehicle to activate terminal retro engines, and land.

6) Launch Monkey Transfer vehicle Habitat, Drop Tank, and Drive section into low Kerbin orbit.

7) Assemble Monkey Transfer Vehicle by docking all three sections.

8) Transit to Duna, enter low circular orbit.

9) Undock lander, perform de orbit burn, inflate heatshield and land.

10) Return to Monkey Transfer Vehicle with Duna Ascent Vehicle.

11) Return to Kerbin and either rendezvous new Orion capsule with Monkey Transfer Vehicle, or use Duna Ascent Vehicle capsule to enter Kerbin atmosphere.

* Warranty void if operation by non-monkey technician is attempted.

* Chaka Monkey Exploration Systems, GmbH is licensed by the original authors noted below to distribute this content.

* These parts should not interfere with content you may already have from these authors with one exception; the procedural fairings DLL is included in this -- so you need to be extra aware if you have another copy of that around somewhere and deal with that. I expect you may use whichever version of the DLL you prefer or the one included here, however please do not use this download as a reference for the most current version of the procedural fairings DLL.

Downloadable items on this page contain modified content made available under the conditions of original license from:

Winston & Kickasskyle - KW Rocketry

Alexustas - A.L.C.O.R. Pod

Bobcat, Ind. American Pack

Tiberion - NovaPunch

Kosmos Spacecraft Design Bureau

Lionhead Aerospace

Sumghai - SDHI Service Module System

Alexey Volynskov (Keramzit Procedural Fairings)

BahamutoD - RS-68 Engine

Sumghai / Fustek / Nothke - Habitats

LandeTLS - SLS Block I fairings

TALISAR - Talisar Large Upper Stage

Porkjet - Habitat IVAs

Blackheart612 - Aerojet Kerbodyne

Kommitz - Chaka Nuclear Thermal Engines

Iannic-ann-od - Chatterer plugin

Chaka the Monkey would like to extend a special thank you to these developers. They worked very hard to make these parts and we have organized them for Monkey Exploration because they are excellent.

LICENSE

All media items available for download on this forum thread are copyrighted by their respective original authors and released under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 License. You can read the full terms of the license on the Creative Commons webpage here: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/

Edited by YANFRET

Ok so just a few things I picked up on. The decent stage of the Altair doesn't have enough fuel. Its got 720 units of fuel and something like 1200 units or more oxidizer so those numbers should be proportionate to each other? Right now while landing the oxidizer tank is half full when the fuel tank is empty. There is just not enough fuel at all to land for it. Also could you make a craft file for just the Altair? Instead of or with the Munar 2x? So block 1 orion, block 2 munar 2x, block 3 munar (just altair), block 4 (just habitat). Those are just my thoughts. However the decent stage definitely needs more fuel.

Yanfret, guys, we figured the missing flame on HG-10B-2 was because of the missing smokescreen.dll. You don't really need it since there really is no difference. Here ya go, the fix. Just replace the config in HG10B2 folder.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/il0od8f0g7bkvwr/part.cfg

PS, your inbox is full :)

Edited by blackheart612

Yanfret, guys, we figured the missing flame on HG-10B-2 was because of the missing smokescreen.dll. You don't really need it since there really is no difference. Here ya go, the fix. Just replace the config in HG10B2 folder.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/il0od8f0g7bkvwr/part.cfg

PS, your inbox is full :)

Hey sorry about the inbox, I'm guilty of that on a regular basis. Thank you so much for the new config! I'l check it out when I get home from work tonight.

Ok so just a few things I picked up on. The decent stage of the Altair doesn't have enough fuel. Its got 720 units of fuel and something like 1200 units or more oxidizer so those numbers should be proportionate to each other? Right now while landing the oxidizer tank is half full when the fuel tank is empty. There is just not enough fuel at all to land for it. Also could you make a craft file for just the Altair? Instead of or with the Munar 2x? So block 1 orion, block 2 munar 2x, block 3 munar (just altair), block 4 (just habitat). Those are just my thoughts. However the decent stage definitely needs more fuel.

Oh my, looks like I'l need to update the Altair config. One thing about a "Munar 1x" setup is that it exposes how overpowered the launcher is. The fuel scaling in this pack is somewhat of a compromise since it's not yet RSS. I suppose we could make a less powerful upper stage and slap it on there for an Altair only setup, however one of the joys for me of the Munar 2x is that you get lots of cool stuff to do without having to run all the way back to the Launchpad.

We'l see!

Hey sorry about the inbox, I'm guilty of that on a regular basis. Thank you so much for the new config! I'l check it out when I get home from work tonight.

Oh my, looks like I'l need to update the Altair config. One thing about a "Munar 1x" setup is that it exposes how overpowered the launcher is. The fuel scaling in this pack is somewhat of a compromise since it's not yet RSS. I suppose we could make a less powerful upper stage and slap it on there for an Altair only setup, however one of the joys for me of the Munar 2x is that you get lots of cool stuff to do without having to run all the way back to the Launchpad.

We'l see!

That's very true. However sometimes you just feel like a mun run and back. Ummm what about one j2x instead of twin on the upper stage, or a shorter fuel tank? Idk like I said sometimes you just want to go to the mun or mommys and back. Also when the career integration comes just to start your just gonna want that Altair.

That's very true. However sometimes you just feel like a mun run and back. Ummm what about one j2x instead of twin on the upper stage, or a shorter fuel tank? Idk like I said sometimes you just want to go to the mun or mommys and back. Also when the career integration comes just to start your just gonna want that Altair.

That's a good point about career mode.

This morning between walking the dog and driving to work I was thinking about how to reduce the upper stage. Since it wouldn't need any new textures I think we can probably find the right compromise, I'l check into it :)

We'l see!

No problem! Hope it works :D

You might want to put a explanation of what this pack is in the OP, because it's not at all clear.

Some sort of metapack of other mods, or a refined selection modified into one cohesive pack?

You're absolutely right, it's wrong of me to assume the reader already knows. Tonight I'll add a write-up with screenshots to the fist page.

EDIT:

Chaka Monkey Exploration Systems, GMBH is a space program based on NASA and Boeing future proposals using heavily modified parts from a wide variety of content authors as well as new original parts, aligned to look and work together for one purpose: realistic simulation of space exploration. This project is modeled at 75% real scale.

Edited by YANFRET

I'm not sure if this issue has been pointed out or is known but I looked back 10 pages and couldn't see it mentioned. The Salyut Lesser Solar Array doesn't produce any electric charge. The GUI line "status" consistently says "Retracted" even when the panels are extended.e8bc96bb87.jpg I then check the .cfg and found this: b95cf763e0.png

Other than that this is a very impressive and fun pack!

I'm not sure if this issue has been pointed out or is known but I looked back 10 pages and couldn't see it mentioned. The Salyut Lesser Solar Array doesn't produce any electric charge. The GUI line "status" consistently says "Retracted" even when the panels are extended.http://puu.sh/aY2pL/e8bc96bb87.jpg I then check the .cfg and found this: http://puu.sh/aY2UA/b95cf763e0.png

Other than that this is a very impressive and fun pack!

I noticed this too. It was at a time though when I couldn't get the rockets off the ground. So I didn't get to point it out however yes this is definitely a problem too.

I noticed this too. It was at a time though when I couldn't get the rockets off the ground. So I didn't get to point it out however yes this is definitely a problem too.

We're using that part textured in that way as a radiator stand-in, however i neglected to change its name to explain that. We did explore other radiador parts but decided on this one for now. I will need to finish editing the cfg to make it function as a radiator.

I just have to say that I love these textures and parts. Is there any future plans on making Chaka styled MKS modules? That would make my day! I like MKS/ORS a lot but for some reason I just don't like the textures/colors.

First, I want to say how great this pack is, it's beautiful and really well put together. All of this is well worth all of your teaser shots in the time leading up to release.

My first question, though, is about the MLS and the SLS: if they both have the same upper stage, then what is the difference between the two in capability and role, apart from visuals?

My second is about problems with crew and crew seats in IVA. I think I've lost Jeb once or twice in crew transfers using one of the Manifest mods. My suspicion is because the defined crew amount is less than the seats that exist in IVA, but I don't know. Are there plans down the line to change to IVAs with the correct amount of seats, especially for the Orion craft. (Out of curiosity, why don't you use Bobcat's Orion IVA?)

Edited by Budgie

Hey guys thank you very much!

Looks fantastic, YANFRET! I know Chaka would approve of this fabulous work! :cool:

Will you be removing the center engine from the SLS cluster? The real one only has four (for all of them -- Block I, IA, IB, and II)

Okay so the core stage began life as the Bobcat Ares V product so that's why it's got the classic setup. A new core stage is on the docket, but the last two times we've gotten close to working on that, another more important project has been put first. So yes, but not this week.

First, I want to say how great this pack is, it's beautiful and really well put together. All of this is well worth all of your teaser shots in the time leading up to release.

My question, though, is about the MLS and the SLS: if they both have the same upper stage, then what is the difference between the two in capability and role, apart from visuals?

You are correct and that has been on my mind. As depicted the Chaka SLS is supposed to be less powerful - say 140t and MLS is supposed to be more like an updated Ares V, say 180t. The one you were given is not balanced properly. This issue came up with the Munar 1x as well.

So, in the next update (later this week) the white SLS core stage part will have 20% less engine thrust, and the 5 segment SRB's will have 20% less thrust and 20% less solid fuel. Then, the "Munar 2x" systems will be moved back to MLS.

Great question!

My second is about problems with crew and crew seats in IVA. I think I've lost Jeb once or twice in crew transfers using one of the Manifest mods. My suspicion is because the defined crew amount is less than the seats that exist in IVA, but I don't know. Are there plans down the line to change to IVAs with the correct amount of seats, especially for the Orion craft. (Out of curiosity, why don't you use Bobcat's Orion IVA?)

Yeah, we had a bit of an IVA emergency when the first beta went up a few days ago. To fix it, the Alcor Monkey IVA was slapped on every single part as a troubleshooting step, and to stop volcanic lightning bolts from incinerating the user and his computer.

I thank you for reminding me about the seats, honestly I didn't test that. I will make sure to address that with the next patch. In the future, I'd like to create a brand new IVA for Orion and we look forward to putting the PorkWorks IVA's back for the habitats. For now, ALCOR gives the user control of every system from every pod, so that seemed like a good temporary fix.

Edited by YANFRET

Hey guys thank you very much!

Okay so the core stage began life as the Bobcat Ares V product so that's why it's got the classic setup. A new core stage is on the docket, but the last two times we've gotten close to working on that, another more important project has been put first. So yes, but not this week.

You are correct and that has been on my mind. As depicted the Chaka SLS is supposed to be less powerful - say 140t and MLS is supposed to be more like an updated Ares V, say 180t. The one you were given is not balanced properly. This issue came up with the Munar 1x as well.

So, in the next update (later this week) the white SLS core stage part will have 20% less engine thrust, and the 5 segment SRB's will have 20% less thrust and 20% less solid fuel. Then, the "Munar 2x" systems will be moved back to MLS.

Great question!

Yeah, we had a bit of an IVA emergency when the first beta went up a few days ago. To fix it, the Alcor Monkey IVA was slapped on every single part as a troubleshooting step, and to stop volcanic lightning bolts from incinerating the user and his computer.

I thank you for reminding me about the seats, honestly I didn't test that. I will make sure to address that with the next patch. In the future, I'd like to create a brand new IVA for Orion and we look forward to putting the PorkWorks IVA's back for the habitats. For now, ALCOR gives the user control of every system from every pod, so that seemed like a good temporary fix.

That is true thought why aren't you using bobcats orion iva for the time being. I know you want to make one but it still better then the stock one as a place holder.

Thanks for the quick reply! I think your pack is one of the best maintained around. You've answered all my questions, and I'm glad I could remind you about the IVAs. Just to clarify, I love the Alcor pod, you're right in allowing players to control everything from IVA

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.