Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

1 hour ago, Servo said:

Looks great! I was going to ask you how it was able to fly "remarkably" but then I realized that you didn't have the custom cockpit...

Well I designed it with enough lift to carry two orange fuel tanks so that it would have more than enough for any possible bomb load.

So when unarmed it has so much lift that it handles almost like a fighter. Similar to the real B52 actually. Unloaded they are pretty agile. 

14 hours ago, Gman_builder said:

@Columbia I was messing with your Titanic and noticed if you blow up, like, anything on it, the whole thing self destructs. Might be something to do with autostrutting but but just wanted to let you know.

What, so you want me to reconstruct the entire thing with steel plates?

The ship's a massive deck of cards. Every single wing part's connected to each other. Of course the entire thing will get destroyed if you hammer a torpedo or an iceberg in its direction.

Christ, It's not the Bismarck.

8 hours ago, Columbia said:

What, so you want me to reconstruct the entire thing with steel plates?

The ship's a massive deck of cards. Every single wing part's connected to each other. Of course the entire thing will get destroyed if you hammer a torpedo or an iceberg in its direction.

Christ, It's not the Bismarck.

Lmao bro dont redo the whole thing. I'm just sayin it explodes in a giant chain reaction. 

Some of you may have seen that I accidentally posted a WIP thread earlier before completion, so I quickly added what was done, and will be working on the rest as quickly as possible, here is a sneak peak of a current project, a larger reusable first stage, for 500 ton orbital operations, on a budget.

CNOyNoz.png

I got 30 minutes free yesterday. It was the occasion to conceive fro the first time a "good-looking" shuttle, able to reach Mun/Minmus and not too costful.

9yPdhbd.png

jqBGmx9.png

MGqrwJk.png

lIWAqUT.png

This first flight revealed some imperfections of course, mostly about stabillity. It is too stable ans so unmaneuverable. Also I was a bit mixed about the small Juno turbojet. It gives the occasion to complete the flight completely, without it I would have finished about 10-25 km west of the Center. But once without it makes the dV jumping from 2.5 km/s to 2.8. Not small.

Working on a new series of science/survey planes for folks who have trouble building and operating them.  This one can travel 270km horizontally at >200 m/s, up to 9km on its twin Junos, or up to 42km on its SRB.  Ideal for early survey missions at altitudes >10km with very low-tech parts and very low operating cost per launch.

pCUhr0r.png

I'm pleased with the flight envelope, but takeoff/landing isn't what I would call easy, so development continues.

I've come a long ways. This rocket can take 2000 tons to a 100 km orbit of Kerbin, with two stages, and yes, this is a picture of it with physics loaded on the pad. I'm working out minor structural issues, and part count, then I will release on KerbalX, and my new lifter page to be up and running soon.

It takes 15% of it's total weight to orbit, and weighs around 13,300 tons on the pad.

kTSAOx3.png

I should also mention that it can take any 2000 ton payload that fits in the fairing to orbit, not just a fuel tank now.

It seems the game has crashed on me, so I'll continue the effort of getting her flight worthy tomorrow, I'll keep you guys updated.

I'll also start work on the new 1 kT lifter, it should be far less part count than the old one, and designed with efficiency in mind this time, rather than just being "Kerbal".

2 minutes ago, Aerospike said:

Nothing fancy, nothing big.

Just a mundane 1 Kerbal lander for my upcoming first manned mission to the Mun:

UE4na1e.png

And I like it a lot, just enough to do its job. Just one tiny tip, tough: if you used four four-way RCS ports spaced 90º (say, at the edges of the fuel tanks) you would not only have the same 6DOF translation authority, you would also have 6DOF rotation authority, just in case you run out of electrical juice during the night.

Rune. Rarely useful, but when you do use the feature, it's to save your mission.

46 minutes ago, Rune said:

And I like it a lot, just enough to do its job. Just one tiny tip, tough: if you used four four-way RCS ports spaced 90º (say, at the edges of the fuel tanks) you would not only have the same 6DOF translation authority, you would also have 6DOF rotation authority, just in case you run out of electrical juice during the night.

Rune. Rarely useful, but when you do use the feature, it's to save your mission.

I thought I should mention that's the exact problem I had with my first "serious" career mun landing a few years ago. Nostalgia.

Edited by He_162

At last I’ve managed to build a decent 220+tns launcher to low kerbin orbit

Mods in use : KW Rocketry and FAR

Spoiler

Lrm0lO6.png

a quite aggressive gravity turn

Spoiler

CKodIPs.png

booster separation

Spoiler

WZKuXyp.png

full ahead!

Spoiler

QegWK2A.png

to orbit at last ...

Spoiler

GNAX9BG.png

Edited by DeadOnDuna

1 hour ago, DeadOnDuna said:

At last I’ve managed to build a decent 220+tns launcher to low kerbin orbit

Mods in use : KW Rocketry and FAR

Reveal hidden contents

a quite aggressive gravity turn

Reveal hidden contents

booster separation

Reveal hidden contents

full ahead!

Reveal hidden contents

to orbit at last ...

Reveal hidden contents

No pictures?

6 hours ago, He_162 said:

@Castille7This lifter should be capable of taking your spacedock to orbit by the way, as your station is what, 1600 tons?

@He_162 I will double check this when I have a chance because Omega 7 without the launcher is near 900 and the space dock seems like it should be lighter. I will let you no asap!

@He_162 Glad you brought that to my attention, I will make that correction on the post. That was not looking right, the Spacedock is only 132.985t without the launcher. :blush:

Edited by Castille7

49 minutes ago, Thor Wotansen said:

Just gonna leave this here....

That reminds me that I never even got around to assembling in space for realsies my latest Grand Tour concept. The thing is, I'm pretty sure that if I started the mission, I would not end it. Certainly not in my career save with all the other stuff going on, and that's pretty much the only one I play. Still, it looks magnificent on the SPH.

Brd5OjR.png

It's all ISRU-enabled, with the Lackluster on the back working as a universal lander, and deploying a small refinery rover, to free the lander to grab one of the ore tanks and become a tanker to refuel the mothership. You would need a dedicated lander for Eve, but everywhere else, this could grab a sample from and return it to Kerbin. 5km/s... with the kerbin-rated SSTO lander full of fuel at the end and aerobraking capabilities.

Rune. Maybe I should put it out there for somebody else to use?

Edited by Rune

12 minutes ago, DeadOnDuna said:

i copy pasted my screenshots (and pressed save ) but nothing .... dang it!

You have to upload them to Imgur or a similar website, then right click on each image and click "open image in new tab". Then copy the url from the tab that gets opened and paste that url into the forums. It automatically embeds the image if you've done it right, and you should be able to see the image in the post editor. If you can't see the image before you submit the reply, you've done something wrong and the image won't appear on the forums.

15 minutes ago, eloquentJane said:

You have to upload them to Imgur or a similar website, then right click on each image and click "open image in new tab". Then copy the url from the tab that gets opened and paste that url into the forums. It automatically embeds the image if you've done it right, and you should be able to see the image in the post editor. If you can't see the image before you submit the reply, you've done something wrong and the image won't appear on the forums.

thanx mate !

i'll do that ...