Whatever happened to the old Launch tower?

GalaxiesFinestToday

You may want to look into FASA's new launch towers. They aren't the exact same as the old launch tower, but they provide a similar look without the risk of destroying your rocket (because they act as launch clamps) as well as a mostly optimized presence.

Here's my Saturn V with it:

V1mWAkt.jpg

The old launch tower had a charm of its own, but in the end, it was just in the way. There is a mod by the name of FASA whose parts include a launch tower that is like a decoupler. You can even fill your ship with kerbals from it! They can actually walk across!

Here's a link: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/24867-%28-23%29-FASA-3-70-Launch-Towers-and-Explorer-1%21%21%21-1-21-14

EDIT: Ninja'd by G'th!

I remember many of my huge rockets smashing into the launch tower. It was most entertaining, but ultimately I couldn't get to space when that was happening. I also remember launching rockets with a gap at just the right spot so the launch tower ramp would fit in there, and praying they ship didn't rotate too much while lifting off. Fun times!

• 2 years later...

@Onesmallstep  I don't think the assets are available for anyone to make a mod from.  It was a static model, unlike the parts, those are compiled in.

It was nothing but a menace anyway, you really don't want it.  As Vanamonde said, you can still see it in the game, but you've gotta find it.  You can also use this mod which provides the same feel without the problems.

Edited by Alshain

On 1/24/2014 at 0:11 PM, GalaxiesFinestToday said:

I remember when KSP had that red launch tower and i always liked it. When i had a space shuttle on the launch pad, it always looked boss because it looked like the real launch with the tower and space shuttle. What do you guys think why it was removed?

Because it was in the way.  That as the concensus back in the 0.18-0.20 transition when it disappeared from KSC, and very few (you and maybe 1 other) have regretted that decision.  But there are mods to bring it back if you really want to relive those bad old days.

Edited by Geschosskopf

On 1/24/2014 at 11:18 AM, Felsmak said:

I remember the time it accidentally got gray. Good times.

Didn't it accidentally get gray just before it was removed?  It was like it was slowly derendered through updates until it was no longer there.

oh the nostalgia!

evzYZ.jpg

But yeah, while it was on occasion fun to setup up a camera on the top of it or try to land on it, it mostly got in the way.
Can't find any pics, but it wasn't uncommon to have craft launch clamped so they overhung the launch pad on the other side just to avoid hitting the darn thing.

23 minutes ago, samstarman5 said:

Didn't it accidentally get gray just before it was removed?

ZyBxQ.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.