SNC "Dream Chaser" *Video by Woopert*

Majorjim!

Hi all,

I am very happy to be able to release my SNC Dream Chaser.

For any who are unaware of Dream Chaser,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7yPVaNdGBw

Video by Forum member Woopert (Launch, rendezvous, landing) Thanks for this Woopert!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Cw4L-NhPMA

66899D8AE5E6A42EB31180B6BA2E6B9D25FB1209

A86668E900288ED5A8E05B96A5A29A4E84E38351

F645875E144890CD690B222A0113048043414C90

34747B3711964B11AEA96921B068188D64E316C2

AC41DA9459C4B07FA135FE8DCD21F0D17B94A175

EA5D3C5131C1739E22DC99B872C3F77C36A2A7B3

*TEST PILOT NOTES*

-Gravity turn at 10,000m

-Make the turn very carefully!

-orbit between 75,000-150,000 (add more fuel to oscar-b-tanks in VAB for 120k up)

-craft is designed for runway landings only!

-When landing, keep craft level before touchdown.

-do not use left or right key after touchdown!

-allow the craft to coast for a few seconds then slowly start applying the brakes.

Good luck gentlemen!

*NOTES END*

So there we have it.

You can add more fuel to the Oscar-B-tanks in the VAB for higher orbits.

She glides well but you cant expect to fly it anywhere, its a space plane, then a glider.

There is a probe brain inside so you can fly it unmanned back to kerbin if you so wish.

Thanks all!

DL LINK: http://www./download/8i021t8qk1xxywp/SNC+++_Dream+Chaser_.craft

Edited by Majorjim

Booster adapter. ✓

Rear docking. ✓

Lifting body shape. ✓

Simple flight instructions. ✓

That's it. I'm done!

Mine will never be as perfect as this one. Congratulations, MJ. :)

LOL, thanks mate.

Very nice build, not a lot of room for error got it to a 80x80km orbit and back to KSC with 12 units of liquid fuel left ;)

Hmmm, The launch vehicle can get the craft into at least a 120x120 orbit with fuel in the second stage to spare for deorbit.

You can add more fuel to the space plane to get higher orbits. maybe try a different launch profile? did you turn east or west?

MJ

Glorious! The Dream Chaser is the favorite of mine when compared to the DragonRider and CST-100... awesome to see it in KSP. Also good that more people have been making them recently in KSP.

I'll start testing this and will report back soon! :)

Not much fuel in her,I'll keep mine for now.(I have replicishcas of everything in the private spaceflight progress video)

Would you mind posting your variant? I'd love to see more Dream Chasers :)

I can confirm this thing is a beaut! fly's really nice and comes down like a bullet! doesn't wash off speed very fast, so do S turns during re-entry or a cork screw.

nice work dude!

The Snuggler seal of approval. Nuff said.

Thanks Mateo.

MJ

Just a question...

What is the real life advantages of having rear docking? I am genuinely intrigued. I'm currently working on designs that have docking on the roof.

I'm no expert, but I assume it's because the front needs to be aerodynamic since it cuts through the air the most. That leaves a docking port on top as the only other option, which the Dream Chaser doesn't have much room for. It also doubles as the crew hatch on the Dream Chaser, though. :)

Just a question...

What is the real life advantages of having rear docking? I am genuinely intrigued. I'm currently working on designs that have docking on the roof.

The interior of the ship is like an empty tube, so they can go directly from the ship to the station, or exit through the same port when landed, if that's the case. It makes stuff simpler.

Question time. Does anybody know why it (the real one) will use a skid instead of a front landing gear? I don't see the benefit.

Honestly I'm not sure. I do know that the landing gear used for that flight test back in October were not the final design and were modified from some fighter jet plane. Only benefit I can come up with for a skid is increased drag? I'm no expert. :P

I'm sure they know what they're doing :)

FYI Majorjim, just completed the first mission (it's late at night here though at the time of this post). RCS might be a problem for some but wasn't for my needs (had half left when done). Successfully landed at the runway which is oh so satisfying! Brilliant design, gotta keep saying it. Tis was my first runway landing with stock KSP parts, even though it's your design. :)

Edited by Woopert

Question time. Does anybody know why it (the real one) will use a skid instead of a front landing gear? I don't see the benefit.

It's much lighter than landing gear, and when it lands, most of the shock is absorbed by the rear wheels anyways, so the skid just elevates the nose when it comes down.

Spaceshipone and Spaceshiptwo also used the same kind of front skid to save weight.

Edited by Giggleplex777

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.