Component Space Shuttle - dev thread [IMG heavy!]

You can still update. Just copy your current save over in another folder. I've got like two versions of .24.2 and three versions of .25 and the original in the Steam folder. Makes life alot easier when wanting to play in both with and without RSS, and still being able to update the game when the time comes.

I jsut don't use RSS...puts too much stress on my system alongside my other mods

Hello everyone!

This is my first post here in the KSP forums, and hopefully I will be able to understand most of the lingo that goes on outside of the atmosphere (I'm pretty heavy into flight simulation and almost decided to become an airline pilot.... anyways, not the intro forums..).

I have read these forums for the past day and a half almost to find everything I need to create the ISS and now the CSS. I've been running into some bumps along the way, and hope I can give some advice, and receive some help here. Specifically with the CSS, I am unable to open the cargo doors, at all. When I right click all I see is the electrical stats, an activate/deactivate key. No open, close, or whatever there is supposed to be there. It doesn't open when I select it from the parts on the left.

Another issue is my nose landing gear won't retract back into the fuselage. Right clicking that doesn't help either.

I've been basing off what should be happening with one of the forum members videos here (StrikeEaglePerch), who recomended that I post here:

I just purchased the game last Sunday, I believe the 32x installer, and installed to my program files (not 86x), so hopefully I am up to the latest version. I have a bit of understanding as to how to install some of the mods (not that different from FS9 but enough to make me wonder where some certain files go) but I might get troubled along the way.

If there is a solution, could anyone kindly tell me how to fix those two issues?

Thanks.

Hello everyone!

This is my first post here in the KSP forums, and hopefully I will be able to understand most of the lingo that goes on outside of the atmosphere (I'm pretty heavy into flight simulation and almost decided to become an airline pilot.... anyways, not the intro forums..).

I have read these forums for the past day and a half almost to find everything I need to create the ISS and now the CSS. I've been running into some bumps along the way, and hope I can give some advice, and receive some help here. Specifically with the CSS, I am unable to open the cargo doors, at all. When I right click all I see is the electrical stats, an activate/deactivate key. No open, close, or whatever there is supposed to be there. It doesn't open when I select it from the parts on the left.

Another issue is my nose landing gear won't retract back into the fuselage. Right clicking that doesn't help either.

I've been basing off what should be happening with one of the forum members videos here (StrikeEaglePerch), who recomended that I post here:

I just purchased the game last Sunday, I believe the 32x installer, and installed to my program files (not 86x), so hopefully I am up to the latest version. I have a bit of understanding as to how to install some of the mods (not that different from FS9 but enough to make me wonder where some certain files go) but I might get troubled along the way.

If there is a solution, could anyone kindly tell me how to fix those two issues?

Thanks.

First of all, welcome, Swagger897! With regards to your cargo doors, are you in time warp when trying to open/close the doors? If you are, go to 1x warp and the option to open the doors should be made available to you. Also, I might suggest that you check to see if you have all of the dependents for this mod to work properly (if you are meaning in just the VAB scene). I am not sure about the gear problem, but you shouldn't REALLY be needing to use the gear except when you are about to touch down after your mission at which point retracting is no longer required. I hope this helps. Also, if you are planning on doing rendezvous with the shuttle, I might suggest you make a few tweaks to the part cfg (if you find some dissatisfaction with the "default" cfg) I will post a link to my favorite KSP mod user, Bob Fitch's video on how to do this below:

I hope this helps you out. I might also suggest Bobcat's ISS Community package as a good mod to go with this one.

First of all, welcome, Swagger897! With regards to your cargo doors, are you in time warp when trying to open/close the doors? If you are, go to 1x warp and the option to open the doors should be made available to you. Also, I might suggest that you check to see if you have all of the dependents for this mod to work properly (if you are meaning in just the VAB scene). I am not sure about the gear problem, but you shouldn't REALLY be needing to use the gear except when you are about to touch down after your mission at which point retracting is no longer required. I hope this helps. Also, if you are planning on doing rendezvous with the shuttle, I might suggest you make a few tweaks to the part cfg (if you find some dissatisfaction with the "default" cfg) I will post a link to my favorite KSP mod user, Bob Fitch's video on how to do this below:

I hope this helps you out. I might also suggest Bobcat's ISS Community package as a good mod to go with this one.

1. The cargo doors wont open at all, even when in the KSP rocket hanger (I really don't know any of the names but I think you get the point of that one). I attempted to go into orbit and while freely rotating I attempted it again... nothing, except for the electrical charge.

2. Hopefully I have them all... I commented on the video from S.E.P. and he gave me a few instructions as what to do... I am a bit unsure for some of files as to where they go after downloading, such as mechjeb, which I first went into all the files and put them in the matching name, then to realize on start-up it said how to place it. So for that reason, I hope not, that there is a possibility I have gone too far with installing the required mods in their correct locations..

3. The gear wont open or shut (at least in space, if it is supposed to be in the atmosphere to open, then okay...).. The odd thing is, is that the gear is actually retracted but the covers wont retract, unlike how the main gear does.

I also have the same ISS com pack which I plan to use.

Thanks.

Hello everyone!

Thanks.

Hello and welcome to the forums! It sounds to me like you dont have the firespitter plugin installed. Download the plugin and put it in the GameData folder (GameData-->Firespitter-->Plugins). The download will only give you the .dll itself, so just create a folder inside of GameData with the name "Firespitter", and then create a folder inside of Firespitter called "Plugins" and put the firespitter.dll inside of that folder. That should make the cargobay doors and landing gear work.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other problems.

Edited by liquidhype

Hello and welcome to the forums! It sounds to me like you dont have the firespitter plugin installed. Download the plugin and put it in the GameData folder (GameData-->Firespitter-->Plugins). The download will only give you the .dll itself, so just create a folder inside of GameData with the name "Firespitter", and then create a folder inside of Firespitter called "Plugins" and put the firespitter.dll inside of that folder. That should make the cargobay doors and landing gear work.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other problems.

This is most likely my cause. I originally did install, but on start-up it said the files were corrupt..

Thanks.

So I'm really eager to play a historic/existing rockets KSP playthrough. But CSS isn't playing nice with ATM. I went back as far as page 56 seriously looking for a fix, but no luck, and I don't remember any fixes from when I used to casually check in on this thread.

When loading the game, with CSS and its dependencies, an up-to-date Firespitter and Module Manager, and Tweakscale, the game loads up fine and I can build the shuttle in the VAB no problem (Haven't flown yet, but we'll get there). When I add the two ATM folders into Gamedata, it always gets hung up on CSS stuff. I've been trying to find a way to make ATM ignore CSS stuff completely, but either what I've been doing doesn't fix the issue or I don't know what I'm doing to make ATM ignore CSS.

By the way, 32bit, no other mods should be affecting it, unless Tweakscale is to blame here.

Hmm, weird. Delete all firespitter folders and files, download this one and try again.

This fixed the issue..

I initially downloaded this two days ago when reading all the requirements for it, but when I started it up the game displayed an error message saying the Firespitter folder is incompatible with 0.25. I got a bit nervous, backed out and deleted the file so I never did go on to the VAB (finally figured out it's name) and build it. However, I downloaded it again, and although it still displays the same message it works fine. I took it up to 60km real quick to test, opened the doors, and then dropped back down onto the ground.

The only issue now is I think the brakes are always on, but nothing to fret about because this isn't FS..

Thanks.

This fixed the issue..

I initially downloaded this two days ago when reading all the requirements for it, but when I started it up the game displayed an error message saying the Firespitter folder is incompatible with 0.25. I got a bit nervous, backed out and deleted the file so I never did go on to the VAB (finally figured out it's name) and build it. However, I downloaded it again, and although it still displays the same message it works fine. I took it up to 60km real quick to test, opened the doors, and then dropped back down onto the ground.

The only issue now is I think the brakes are always on, but nothing to fret about because this isn't FS..

Thanks.

No problem! You can disable the breaks by right clicking on the gear. Though I doubt it would matter if the breaks were on during landing.

So I'm really eager to play a historic/existing rockets KSP playthrough. But CSS isn't playing nice with ATM. I went back as far as page 56 seriously looking for a fix, but no luck, and I don't remember any fixes from when I used to casually check in on this thread.

When loading the game, with CSS and its dependencies, an up-to-date Firespitter and Module Manager, and Tweakscale, the game loads up fine and I can build the shuttle in the VAB no problem (Haven't flown yet, but we'll get there). When I add the two ATM folders into Gamedata, it always gets hung up on CSS stuff. I've been trying to find a way to make ATM ignore CSS stuff completely, but either what I've been doing doesn't fix the issue or I don't know what I'm doing to make ATM ignore CSS.

By the way, 32bit, no other mods should be affecting it, unless Tweakscale is to blame here.

I would recommend you try starting with a clean install of the game, no mods. Install only CSS and ATM and see what happens. If it works, gradually install one mod at a time to pinpoint which mod is causing these problems for you. This might just be a memory issue. Before installing any mods, load KSP, go into settings and turn down the graphics settings. Or you could try running it in OpenGL.

I have a copy of KSP where I am building the ISS using the CSS and using 61 mods, and I have no issues with running ATM.

Sounds like you are running out of memory. You will need to run the 64 bit version of KSP. I use the 64 bit version, and all loads just fine.

You are talking about the truss with the solar panels on one truss and the heat panel on the 2nd truss which had it's own docking port connection ?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72893034/ISS02.jpg

Hey, may I please ask where you dock the P/S 0 truss to, I am trying to plan that out now while I only have 3 parts of my ISS up. Does it attach to the Z1 truss?

Hey, may I please ask where you dock the P/S 0 truss to, I am trying to plan that out now while I only have 3 parts of my ISS up. Does it attach to the Z1 truss?

1. First dock Unity (Node 1) to Zarya with a PMA.

2. Dock the Z1 truss segment on top of Unity.

3. Dock the S0 truss segment on the forward facing part og the Z1 truss.

Except that the ssme exhaust was not blue....

I thought it was???

you can see it on this page 4th pic down on the right, although you could call it purple.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/flyout/ssme.html

Also it is more visible here on this picture.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_main_engine

Edited by worir4

May I just suggest you make the SSME exhaust a blue colour.

The exhaust at the immediate exit of the nozzle is blue but the 30+ foot trail after that is orange. Since the game can't do a multicolored exhaust without overlaying colors its best to do what the majority of the color is, which is orange.

Purple? Check your eyes, then. It's clearly orange with a blueish shock diamond inside... just as Nazari made it. It is neither blue nor purple, except for the shock diamond. Blue flame needs a different mixture ratio, J-2 and RL-10 burn blue (when the flame is visible at all, that is). SSME does not.

The only other blue I see is actually inside the nozzle, and probably should be done on the emissive. Particle trails are all faint orange.

Edited by Guest
merge double post

The exhaust at the immediate exit of the nozzle is blue but the 30+ foot trail after that is orange. Since the game can't do a multicolored exhaust without overlaying colors its best to do what the majority of the color is, which is orange.

I think that is more becuase of the SRB's brightness. When the SRBs have seperated you can't really see the exhaust from the SSMEs apart from the blue part immediately outside the engines.

The higher the energy, the bluer the light emitted. But the energy levels are quantised (thanks Max Plank), so only certain colours of light can be emitted. These are the spectra lines of Hydrogen (O2- and OH- have lines too, but they're in the infrared). Most LH2/LOX engines are very efficient, so they run very hot, and most the light emitted is in the ultraviolet, with a little bit in the blue and violet

I just got this off another forum. The SSMEs burn liquid oxygen and liquid hydrogen. This makes a blue colour. I think the firey colour in that video is because of the engine being pointed directly at a surface.