Component Space Shuttle - dev thread [IMG heavy!]

The shuttle seems to work fine, except for the minor "bugs" people already have reported. I tried it out in 6.4x RSS, and it is nearly impossible to get it through the atmosphere without the whole thing flipping over 180 degrees. I'd imagine it would have the same problem in full RSS? I have not yet yested it in full RSS.

The shuttle seems to work fine, except for the minor "bugs" people already have reported. I tried it out in 6.4x RSS, and it is nearly impossible to get it through the atmosphere without the whole thing flipping over 180 degrees. I'd imagine it would have the same problem in full RSS? I have not yet yested it in full RSS.

What bugs? Apart from the white SSME, the windows are meant to be like that...

Also the shuttle is not ready for RSS yet, there are a few hacky configs for it with FAR but they don't work very well

Nice work! Some caveats: Why shuttle always leans to the right side? Asymmetric configuration of the wings? I think the problem is in the tailfin... It's the same problem that occurred in mod spaceplane, which was corrected when incorporated in 0.25. In SPH everything is ok with the lift, but not in the VAB, center of lift is on the left side. Another thing, the OMS left/right are still problems with the vector. Lastly, I miss the incorporation with the career mode. If you want help here, I am available. A tip: Add light to the cockpit (button on/off). Cya guys!

I don't know. It does have a strange roll tendency, but the fin is set up just like any other winglet, it shouldn't have problems... If you've installed correctly, the OMS should work, at least, though (I know, they might still be hard to use). I don't know why is it like that, stock lift code is weird.

If you have any cost and tech suggestions, post them here in a nice table and I'll see what I can do about incorporating them. I don't play career, so I wouldn't know.

Dragon, I will do this tonight and post the files here. I will rely on the values of their counterparts in stock, and the tech tree will be similar to Tiberdyne package. One more thing, I always increase the thrust capacity and fuel in SRB's to deliver in LKO loads up to 28T (the real shuttle capacity). If we consider that 60% of the weight stack are in boosters, would be more faithful in your mod.

I balanced it towards BobCat's Buran. With 28T to LKO, it could be a bit OP. That's a lot in KSP, scales are much smaller than IRL. RSS version will, of course, have the correct capacity (but I need FAR to update to start on that).

Now thats a good update. I love the new engine sounds. I like that the VAB clutter is cleared up. I still don't like the way the SRBs separate. There has to be a way to make the bottom attachment node of the orbiter to the ET stronger. Watching the bottom slap the tank during gravity turns is horrible to watch. Even with extra struts added to the ones you already added its still doesn't stay attached. Also I think consideration for a remodel of the srbs is a must. I think everything else looks good except the SRBs and their look takes away from the whole aesthetic. In terms of flying its still difficult to fly and successfully landing on the the KSS runway are rare, when they do happen its extremely satisfying. In KSP the saying "any landing you can walk away from is a good landing" very applicable. Nit picky things would be lights on the windows and better sounds for the SRBs too. Other then that this update is leaps and bounds better then the last few. Well done. Now really push to find someone to fix the trusses of the ISS and the combination will be great.

In fact sp1989, u should separate the boosters when you finish the animation propulsion ... arrived at ~ 3% send off. The way it works in the real shuttle. In my opinion the separation is good. The problem is even roll .. I'm still going to fix that.

Edited by Phoenyx

In fact sp1989, u should separate the boosters when you finish the animation propulsion ... arrived at ~ 3% send off. The way it works in the real shuttle. In my opinion the separation is good. The problem is even roll .. I'm still going to fix that.

I do that. When I seperate the boosters the top of the boosters turn in and strike the orbiter bounce off and then fly away. I think the seperation motors need to burn longer and stronger. Also I believe there are supposed to be some aeperatrons on the bottom. Just fyi, Google translate is easy enough to use but make sure you post in English or the moderators get mad.

I find that the boosters separate fine if you decouple them at the 2min 4sec mark (like the real thing). Just make sure the nose cones are pointed in the right direction. I haven't really figured out how the CSS booster decouplers work, so I've been using the stock detatchment manifolds. Seems to do the job. As for the ET, all you need to do is use one little strut to make it not bounce around whilst performing the gravity turn.

I am really, and I mean really struggeling to get the shuttle back down from orbit, especially with FAR (both with and without 6.4x RSS). As soon as it hits the thicker part of the atmosphere, it just flips over a** first. I've tried all kinds of different approaches, different re-entry altitudes, different angles, with fuel, without fuel. The thing just flips over.

In the VAB and SPH I can see that the center of mass is in front, but very much above the center of lift. Is it supposed to be like that? I'm thinking that is the reason for the shuttle wanting to flip over.

I am really, and I mean really struggeling to get the shuttle back down from orbit, especially with FAR (both with and without 6.4x RSS). As soon as it hits the thicker part of the atmosphere, it just flips over a** first. I've tried all kinds of different approaches, different re-entry altitudes, different angles, with fuel, without fuel. The thing just flips over.

That would be because the shuttle is not compatible with FAR at all. This same question has been asked all over the thread. It just is not ready for FAR yet. It works perfectly fine with stock.

I do that. When I seperate the boosters the top of the boosters turn in and strike the orbiter bounce off and then fly away. I think the seperation motors need to burn longer and stronger. Also I believe there are supposed to be some aeperatrons on the bottom. Just fyi, Google translate is easy enough to use but make sure you post in English or the moderators get mad.
On the top of the srb cones there is a text and a arrow that show you whitch way the srb cone will burn

Yeah, the Shuttle isn't configured for FAR. I will not make it disappear when FAR is installed :) , but I'd like to ask you all to check the thread before asking. It will get fixed, but FAR needs to be updated so I can make it properly recognize the wings' shape.

Hey dragon, do you want me to make a full manual for this mod? like on the forums in the tutorials section? This would basically say some of the specs and how to operate it. :)

Sure, go ahead. I might link it in the OP if you want.

I know, it still doesn't seperate properly.

Make sure the red arrows are point outwards, and then individually rotate each nosecone about 10-15 degrees more so that they burn semi-diagonally in towards the ET/shuttle. That should make them separate cleanly. If that doesnt work, you haven't attached the decoplers and/or the boosters correctly. You can try to put a structural girder where the decoupler normally should be, then add a decopupler onto that, and then add the booster.

WdWaGW0.png

Hey, is there any chance of a white fuel tank being added to the tank textures as a choice (for those of us who would like to recreate the first flights of the Columbia)? Also, will there be any adjustments made to the orbiter for orbital maneuvers such as rendezvous? Also, how soon will there be an orbiter name texture for the front of the orbiter?