Component Space Shuttle - dev thread [IMG heavy!]

I would imagine that nasa would calculate all missions to be as efficient as possible and keep the vehicle as light as possible on re-entry. Im not sure how they do it or if they do it but this is what works for me. When i have too much fuel i loose control of the vehicle.

The real Shuttle fires multiple nozzles in a so-called "zero-burn", that is, firing the nozzles that cancel each other out. If you fire them all at once, it works pretty well. That said, we can't do that in KSP, so just use Dtobi's fuel valve, or something.

Looks really nice. Can't wait to see textures on that one. :) PM me when you're at the point where you start splitting the model.

Edited by Guest

Any news???

Yep. It looks like that UV tutorial from nonespecial helped me a lot :)

Here are some pics how it is looking now in Maya. Still some work to do and some corrections to do.

I am talking about it with Dragon through PMs every second day :)

The textures are not so good as I want them. I found them on the internet somewhere but for the start I think they are quite OK.

nthaawvl.png

PiSGSOEl.png

yHMJyWol.png

EDIT: those solar panels will be together with cargo bay doors like on Buran. And engines I think we will be using from Dtobi or the current one we have in CSS maybe. I am not sure.

Edited by Jovzin
typos

Yep. It looks like that UV tutorial from nonespecial helped me a lot :)

Here are some pics how it is looking now in Maya. Still some work to do and some corrections to do.

I am talking about it with Dragon through PMs every second day :)

The textures are not so good as I want them. I found them on the internet somewhere but for the start I think they are quite OK.

http://i.imgur.com/nthaawvl.png

http://i.imgur.com/PiSGSOEl.png

http://i.imgur.com/yHMJyWol.png

EDIT: those solar panels will be together with cargo bay doors like on Buran. And engines I think we will be using from Dtobi or the current one we have in CSS maybe. I am not sure.

Bravo Old Sport!!

giphy.gif

Now that is truly a beautiful model. Congratulations. How does it fly? I do ask please please please keep the dependencies down to a minimum. So if you could fix the current CSS engines to work without the dtobi plugin that would be awesome. Not only because I want minimum dependencies but for the future because dtobi is gone and he isn't maintaining his stuff anymore. So keeping this as close to just a parts pack would be wonderful!

Edit:I don't mind the firespitter plugin that changes the wings surface to reflect the different shuttles. That is really cool.

KM_Gimbal will not be ditched. It's too important for flying with different payloads, until you can trim stock gimbal, it stays. B9 uses it, so someone will take over it when it breaks (or else find an alternative. I'll just use what they use). ETC stays, besides, you can use the Shuttle without it if you really want (it won't ascend that well, though). Firespitter will say, too, it has too many goodies like landing gear sounds. RealChute will be optional, the Shuttle will be able to land without a parachute (IRL, the braking chute was not installed from the start, either). The rest of the dependencies will be ditched, though Infernal Robotics might come into play after it can run the robotic arm.

Note, both RealChute and Infernal Robotics will not be essential to the Shuttle's functioning and therefore optional. I'm particularly unhappy about RC, because I want to allow 64bit players to use the CSS. If StupidChris agrees, I'll bundle RealChute (ideally, in a 64bit-capable version) with the CSS. Also, I've decided that the next version will redistribute most of the required plugins (ETC, KM_Gimbal and Firespitter), for various reasons.

KM_Gimbal will not be ditched. It's too important for flying with different payloads, until you can trim stock gimbal, it stays. B9 uses it, so someone will take over it when it breaks (or else find an alternative. I'll just use what they use). ETC stays, besides, you can use the Shuttle without it if you really want (it won't ascend that well, though). Firespitter will say, too, it has too many goodies like landing gear sounds. RealChute will be optional, the Shuttle will be able to land without a parachute (IRL, the braking chute was not installed from the start, either). The rest of the dependencies will be ditched, though Infernal Robotics might come into play after it can run the robotic arm.

Note, both RealChute and Infernal Robotics will not be essential to the Shuttle's functioning and therefore optional. I'm particularly unhappy about RC, because I want to allow 64bit players to use the CSS. If StupidChris agrees, I'll bundle RealChute (ideally, in a 64bit-capable version) with the CSS. Also, I've decided that the next version will redistribute most of the required plugins (ETC, KM_Gimbal and Firespitter), for various reasons.

That all sounds fair. Now will there be a remodel to the rest of the stack? I'm not particularly a fan of the SRBs with the giant NASA logos on the top. Also they almost have a silver look to them. Bobcats srbs at nice but I think the need an overhaul too. The external tank looks great nothing really needs to be changed.

This is also why Firespitter stays. Now it can vary dry mass, too, which will be useful (Columbia was, for instance, heavier than the others).

That all sounds fair. Now will there be a remodel to the rest of the stack? I'm not particularly a fan of the SRBs with the giant NASA logos on the top. Also they almost have a silver look to them. Bobcats srbs at nice but I think the need an overhaul too. The external tank looks great nothing really needs to be changed.

It's up to Jovzin, but I suppose we could try remaking the SRBs.

OK to answer all you stuff :)

@Sippyfrog: OK that would be cool :)

@sp1989 : Well I have not tested it yet. This is all from Maya. As I wrote, it still needs a little bit of tweaking. But only a little bit.

Hmm well I do not know about engines. Dragon will decide if we are going to use Dtobi's or maybe my engine models.

And for that change of names on the shuttle, well I will try to do something in Photoshop first I need to figure out which font NASA is using for those names on the shuttles.

Yeah external tank looks great to me and I think we do not need a new model . I think SRBs are not bad or ? I like them. But I can try to model something. But first I really want to release this shuttle and airlock model.

@montyben101: As I wrote above I need to figure out the font which NASA is using or used.

Edited by Jovzin
typos

Helvetica. Wikipedia has a good list of Shuttle marking schemes, BTW.

Thanks Dragoon you are great.

Btw about those engines. I do not know if I coloured the endings correctly. I painted the endings in red as I read somewhere that after some upgrade, NASA was using some new engines or just painting the endings in red right ?

Edited by Jovzin

Just a PSA about KM_Gimbal - sarbian has said he'll look into taking it on, or if not, then just making his own:

I had an exchange with dtobi about the gimbal module but I did not get a final word. Now his PM box is full, so I can't ask him anything more. I'll wait mid week for a reply and if I don't get anything I'll most likely work on a new gimbal myself...

I've been waiting sience 2012 for css to be updated and finally some great modders updating and try their vest to make this mod good! I actually can't belive that a realistic shuttle mod will be realased! Im so happy right now. Keep up with the great work. Send me a messege if you need someone for beta testing