Component Space Shuttle - dev thread [IMG heavy!]

Okay,

first, hello everyone, this is my first post.

I've come here to report a problem with my CSS. I already had downloaded version 5.0.1, but I wanted to replace it with the newer version, so I downloaded it from the link provided in the OP. So far, so good, deleted all 5.0.1 files from the Parts folder, copied the new ones into the sub-folders I thought they belonged into (I don't know if they're the correct ones, but judging from their names they should be), copied the Props, Spaces and FX into their respective folders, everything should be fine, so I booted up the game to see if it worked. In the loading screen at the beginning I could see that the parts were in the folders I put them into, but when I went to the VAB, I noticed that many parts were missing: The crewsection, the nose, the wings... However, other parts, like the External Tank, the SRBs and the SSMEs were where they should be and ready to use. Also, the game was somehow chugged down, it was kinda slow, probably from the parts in it that weren't on the list in VAB. Later, I downloaded the Lazor System mod because I would need it, did the same with the data from the Lazor System ZIP archive, but In that case, all the parts were in the game. On a side note, the Canadarm part i needed Lazor System for was on the VAB list.

Long story short, I can't build a Shuttle because I am missing parts t

Err... you know that you should put the entire folder in GameData, right? It sounds like you're using the legacy folders. Needless to say, it doesn't work. You should have a "CSS" folder in your "GameData" folder, and inside, all the sub-folders. The parts that do work don't use the MODEL node system, which is a dead giveaway that you installed it wrong.

First: No, I wasn't in Career mode.

Second: So I WAS being an idiot. I didn't know that, because what I did worked with 5.0.1. Anyway, I'm gonna try that right away, and also do that with Lazor System, just to be sure.

Thanks for your help :)

hey folks,

i got a problem, used a build from a Youtuber, where it works...

on my side, when i goin to startup, the nose from the tank bend over and with him the shuttle directly back to the ground...maybe u can help me...

here is a vid of the problem:

hope u can help me

greetz Zodiac

A, Apply struts

B, Decrease throttle

The reason your nose is dipping is because the main engines have too much thrust - lower that and you'll ascend straight up. Simple matter of aligning CoT and CoM (the latter is somewhere between the SRBs and SSMEs, you want to get the former to line up with it. If pitch nose down, throttle down. If pitch nose up, increase throttle).

A, Apply struts

B, Decrease throttle

The reason your nose is dipping is because the main engines have too much thrust - lower that and you'll ascend straight up. Simple matter of aligning CoT and CoM (the latter is somewhere between the SRBs and SSMEs, you want to get the former to line up with it. If pitch nose down, throttle down. If pitch nose up, increase throttle).

thx for the fast answere....

i downloaded a file named KM-*****.dll *=anything

and now it works i think, better ^^

Well the main issue in that particular video is that the center of thrust is not going through the center of mass properly. The reason being that the boosters are just a bit too low compared to the three main engines. If you just raise the boosters a little bit it should fix the problem. I'm using the shuttle in both stock and FAR, and it flies like a dream.

It flies like a dream? And is FAR compatible? Hang on. Dragon told me thah the current shuttle is not FAR compatible and that it flies like nightmare.

But maybe you have some special configs?

It does fly like a nightmare with FAR at least for me. Either he has special configs or is some sort of masterful pilot.

A, Apply struts

B, Decrease throttle

You also need to make sure you are rolling on the shuttles back an performing a gravity burn, the shuttle will naturally push forward to keep its nose up in the heads down position. You should not be launching straight up.

It flies like a dream? And is FAR compatible? Hang on. Dragon told me thah the current shuttle is not FAR compatible and that it flies like nightmare.

It's not configured for FAR, but flies... passably in stock aero. That said, the thing about FAR configs will change with the next FAR release, or with the new model release (whichever's first).

Oh, and an "interim" update is coming. It's mostly small tweaks, some test sounds and a few new textures. I'm testing it now.

Yes it does in fact fly perfectly fine in FAR. I never use stock, but I did test it in stock aswell just as a comparison. It was easy to configure it to get into space, the hard part was getting it back, seeing as it liked to flip over as soon as it hit the 30k mark. With that said, I would agree with Dragon on his statement about it not being configured for FAR as is, but with some adjustments it is in fact possible to make it fly like a dream.

Well, not configured for FAR, as it "missing FAR wing code altogether". :) Even in FAR, its wings will use stock lift system, because FAR one is simply not there. They might work with lifting body code, but their performance will be much less than supposed to. Ascent should be easy because it doesn't use wings that much in that phase. Descent isn't going to work well, though.

OK people, the Shuttle is updated. This is probably the final pre-model overhaul update. It's mostly small changes, but it should make the thing easier to use and a bit more fun. Everything tested in 0.25 32bit, should also work in 64bit (no reason for it not to, except for bugs in 64bit itself).

OK people, the Shuttle is updated. This is probably the final pre-model overhaul update. It's mostly small changes, but it should make the thing easier to use and a bit more fun. Everything tested in 0.25 32bit, should also work in 64bit (no reason for it not to, except for bugs in 64bit itself).

Nice! I'll test it out right now

Great! I will give here a run tonight and post a video on it this weekend.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you have a change log?

Hi, great thing that shuttle! But I have a bug report:

The RS-25 engine has no textures, it's plain white. And also, it says RX-25 engine in the editor, but that's just a spelling mistake:P

Aww... blast it. Of course. I forgot to convert .tga textures to a more civilized format. Most of them are .png, but SSME and boosters are not. Well, there'll be a minor update later. For now, reloading KSP should work, the loading bug is random. The memory impact, should not be great, either.