Component Space Shuttle - dev thread [IMG heavy!]

That is awesome to hear Dragon! Absolutely love the CSS. It might benefit from texture reduction though, seeing as the game tends to lag a bit more when using the CSS parts, compared to other parts.

Just use ATM and its all good.

Hello everyone,

I have been following this thread for a very long time now and i am really impressed with the work being done. I have read over several of the posts and watched the evolution of this mod but i am still finding some difficulty mastering it.

The first issue i have is OMS balance, by reading over the posts in this thread it was made clear i needed to replace the OMS right/left with the strait OMS engines. When using it with the strait OMS or R/L OMS the shuttle tends to flip head over heals or require full RCS to balance. In some earlier post i saw a reference to adjusting the trim however i am yet to find a good balance for that. I have even attempted to use the space shuttle engine pack OMS selection and there is little improvement. What am i missing? Or can someone share with me the proper trim settings for the strait OMS? Or is this a flaw in the mod itself that i need to compensate with RCS constantly for a strait burn?

Secondly some aspects of the model make attached pieces float off to the sides. An example of this is if i was to attach a small engine on the side of the engine mount under the OMS shoulder pods the object tends to float away from it not appearing attached. As i understand there is no modeler working on this craft i was wondering if this can be resolved by re-exporting the collision on the mesh. This is not a big deal but i figured i would ask anyway in-case i am missing something.

I also noticed this was made by rocket2guns which is Dean Hall the creator of DayZ, He is a very fair guy and might be willing to release his source files if asked. Has anyone brought this to his attention? I would have no problem sending him an email or a message through his various sources i just figured i would ask if this has been attempted before so i am not pestering.

Finally hats off to you Dragon the amount of work you do for this game is astonishing. I wish you the best in development of your projects.

Wau you know the creator of this MOD? Wau I must say I am thinking to ask you for the files to see how he did this and that.

Maybe they can help me as I am planning to release a new model of the shuttle which I was working on during summer.

But right now I really want to release that airlock.

Hmm I think I really can use the model files from original author. Do you think he will come back to KSP? I have so much questions for him about modeling the shuttle.

I swore I had posted to this thread before with my CSS in RSS, but I just checked all 10 pages and I didn't see myself. Maybe it was a different thread.

Anyway...

I just noticed this old post:

Dragon, Felbourn who does the Project Gateway and Project Odyssey videos (see my sig for a link) has recently worked on an RSS version for his own use and it kind of works.

It's not recent anymore. It was in 0.23.5 but it MIGHT work with a little tweaking?

/shrug

Buyer beware.

This was my CFG from when I did the following video.

I have to say, I like the new mesh. PM me when you're ready to cut the model up, I've gathered up a lot of information regarding that. Also, the cargobay doors were equipped with deployable radiators, and opened one at a time. I can give you the precise angle at which OMS need to have their neutral position, and minutae regarding it's RCS system. It will have a higher part count than the CSS if we are to simulate all particularities of the Shuttle, but I think it'll be worth it.

I also noticed this was made by rocket2guns which is Dean Hall the creator of DayZ, He is a very fair guy and might be willing to release his source files if asked. Has anyone brought this to his attention? I would have no problem sending him an email or a message through his various sources i just figured i would ask if this has been attempted before so i am not pestering.

Finally hats off to you Dragon the amount of work you do for this game is astonishing. I wish you the best in development of your projects.

Well, actually I have the source files for the CSS. :) It was recompiled, it's the whole reason it works at all, but the models are very difficult to work with and have some severe issues. Ledenko spent a lot of time getting them into usable state, and still wasn't able to do everything we'd like.

I have to say, I like the new mesh. PM me when you're ready to cut the model up, I've gathered up a lot of information regarding that. Also, the cargobay doors were equipped with deployable radiators, and opened one at a time. I can give you the precise angle at which OMS need to have their neutral position, and minutae regarding it's RCS system. It will have a higher part count than the CSS if we are to simulate all particularities of the Shuttle, but I think it'll be worth it.

Well, actually I have the source files for the CSS. :) It was recompiled, it's the whole reason it works at all, but the models are very difficult to work with and have some severe issues. Ledenko spent a lot of time getting them into usable state, and still wasn't able to do everything we'd like.

That would be great can you post those OMS settings here? Im sure others have experienced this issue as-well.

Why is the craft file doing this?

That happens when a CRAFT file references a node that no longer exists. It essentially indexes outside the bounds of the node array and "crashes" the editor.

I learned this the VERY hard way. ;)

Edited by Felbourn

That would be great can you post those OMS settings here? Im sure others have experienced this issue as-well.

The "left" and "right" OMS engines are angled the right way. You can now trim yaw, making the straight version useless.

I dont seem to be able to adjust OMS right/left. But strait allows me to change trim.

I noticed this on the right/left OMS.

//MODULE
//{
// name = KM_Gimbal
// gimbalTransformName = thrustTransform
// yawGimbalRange = 7
// pitchGimbalRange = 6.0
// responseSpeed = 50
//}

MODULE
{
name = ModuleGimbalAutoTrim
gimbalTransformName = thrustTransform
gimbalRange = 6
}

}

Compared to the strait OMS

MODULE{
name = KM_Gimbal
gimbalTransformName = thrustTransform
yawGimbalRange = 7
pitchGimbalRange = 6.0
responseSpeed = 50
}

}

Would the lack of KM_Gimbal on the OMS right/left be the cause of not being able to adjust trim?

Aww, rats. I forgot I've yet to release the version which had that... I really need to get to it, but I've got another thing I need to do first. I'll update the Shuttle for 0.25 soon, but RL is keeping me from KSP for the time being.

Aww, rats. I forgot I've yet to release the version which had that... I really need to get to it, but I've got another thing I need to do first. I'll update the Shuttle for 0.25 soon, but RL is keeping me from KSP for the time being.

Its alright i completely understand, am i right in the gimble thing? I could just match the settings. Also im a shuttle nut on KSP thats mostly all i do if you pm me what you have i would be glad to beta test it for you and provide you feedback.

Just uncomment the KM_Gimbal module and comment out the AutoTrim one. That should restore proper functionality. If I didn't release the fix for that, that means I've got a lot of other fun stuff that isn't in the current release... Well, I've got to get to it. I just have other things to finish first.

Those changes worked however the stock trim did not. For those interested here is the sweet spot settings.

OMS Right

X-Trim 14

Y-Trim -5

OMS Left

X-Trim -14

Y-Trim -5

After a lot of testing this seems to be the sweet spot. Depending on payload sometimes an additional reaction control in-front of the engine mount (rear of cargo bay) definitely helps with control of the vehicle on OMS burn. As there is a reaction wheel in the engine mount for some reason i cant control the settings properly on it or maybe im just doing it wrong. For those reading this remember it does require KM_gimble for this to work properly. For those using mechjeb this plugin (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/60933-Optional-MechJeb-Modules-for-FAR-NEAR-km_Gimbal-%28Oct-19%29) is extremely helpful with accent control. Using this plugin with the "force roll" setting accent really helps. Also for re-entry i recommend dumping any remaining fuel under 400 for a smooth landing.

I hope all this helps.

Edited by daedaelus

Ok. Here you have CSS ready to RSS. Sorry for big file, but i don't want to deleting files from CSS folder: http://www./download/scdh5tx541d7fhs/CSS.rar . Max. angle to reentry is 10* above prograde. DELETE CSS FOLDER BEFORE INSTAL. It's works with FAR and trim of OMS is not balanced, sorry :( . I'm not requesting because i'm forgot about this theard :D

Edited by SereSerowy

Ok. Here you are CSS ready to RSS. Sorry for big file, but i don't want to deleting files from CSS folder: http://www./download/scdh5tx541d7fhs/CSS.rar . Max. angle to reentry is 10* above prograde. DELETE CSS FOLDER BEFORE INSTAL. It's works with FAR and trim of OMS is not balanced, sorry :( . I'm not requesting because i'm forgot about this theard :D

Great, testing now, will post back in a few mins

Test results: Does seem to work but the speed brake dosent work and it has a tendency to pancake. Also the OMS thrust is very very low, I appreciate that this is probably realistic but it makes it very hard to fly

Edited by montyben101

Great, testing now, will post back in a few mins

Test results: Does seem to work but the speed brake dosent work and it has a tendency to pancake. Also the OMS thrust is very very low, I appreciate that this is probably realistic but it makes it very hard to fly

Check OMS thurst in wiki then in ksp. It's realistic because peoapsis should has 25 km above earth before decoupling external tank. Aerodynamic brake doesn't works and won't work because I only change parameters in config files. How always, sorry for englisg

Check OMS thurst in wiki then in ksp. It's realistic because peoapsis should has 25 km above earth before decoupling external tank. Aerodynamic brake doesn't works and won't work because I only change parameters in config files. How always, sorry for englisg

Yeah I know about the OMS but what I mean is it would be hard to rendezvous. Anyway, I tried to reenter and land but the shuttle would just flip as soon as I entered the atmosphere

Yeah I know about the OMS but what I mean is it would be hard to rendezvous. Anyway, I tried to reenter and land but the shuttle would just flip as soon as I entered the atmosphere

Yes, I work with reentry, I trying to get from NathanKell x64 KSP Real Solar System, because KSP crashing all the time. Now, only way to reentry is max. 10* above prograde (I prefer 5*). You know, space shuttle using OMS 13 times before rendezvous :D

I do not know much about FAR i do not use it but for normal re-entry make sure your left over fuel level is below 400. I use the dump valves from the space shuttle engine pack to make sure im either as low as possible or empty on re-entry. Remember the shuttle is a brick trying to be a glider so any additional weight needs to be chucked. Also due to the mountains before KSP airstrip i tend to land on the island runway more often so i have extra room to line up my landing. Also nothing says you can add some small jet engines to the rear tail wing much like the russian buran in-case you need to speed up for another pass. The NASA shuttle was originally going to have atmospheric engines but due to cost constraints it never made it into the final blueprints. I believe they where going to extend from the OMS pods.

I do not know much about FAR i do not use it but for normal re-entry make sure your left over fuel level is below 400. I use the dump valves from the space shuttle engine pack to make sure im either as low as possible or empty on re-entry. Remember the shuttle is a brick trying to be a glider so any additional weight needs to be chucked. Also due to the mountains before KSP airstrip i tend to land on the island runway more often so i have extra room to line up my landing. Also nothing says you can add some small jet engines to the rear tail wing much like the russian buran in-case you need to speed up for another pass. The NASA shuttle was originally going to have atmospheric engines but due to cost constraints it never made it into the final blueprints. I believe they where going to extend from the OMS pods.
FAR is real aerodynamic, simply it's much better than stock aerodynamic in kerbal. Real shuttle dumping fuel before reentry.