Component Space Shuttle - dev thread [IMG heavy!]

They're all in the latest update, use the tweakables to switch between textures.

Thanks! I just realized that I had been working with the previous version before posting:rolleyes:. Checking out new one now. Great Gliding characteristics. Any chance of this mod getting a mechjeb module dedicated to it?

Thanks! I just realized that I had been working with the previous version before posting:rolleyes:. Checking out new one now. Great Gliding characteristics. Any chance of this mod getting a mechjeb module dedicated to it?

I finally docked Mir and the real space shuttle. Why does the Buran respond better with Mechjeb than the CSS. The css is constantly "chasing the the rabbit" during rendezvous. The Buran stays on the mark pretty steady and efficiently rendezvous and docks. I mean lets face it I would say 70%-80% of the KSP community uses mechjeb. Why isn't the CSS not mech jeb friendly and can it be fixed?

PeSk7O9.png

Buran has its engines inline with the hull and has fudged RCS system for better stability. Angled engines make it difficult to use MechJeb. I think you're wrong about it being so widespread, too. Anyway, I don't think I can make it "MechJeb friendly" in any way. Its just the way the Shuttle is designed. Take it up with NASA if it bothers you.

The css is constantly "chasing the the rabbit" during rendezvous. The Buran stays on the mark pretty steady and efficiently rendezvous and docks.

Well for one the CSS engines are pointed roughly 10 degrees off-center, whilst the Buran engines point straight. If you want to avoid "chasing the rabbit", just point the CSSs engines 10 degrees above or below the target vector.

Does anybody know what I have to tweak in order to make the CSS work in my 6.4x scale version of ksp?

As of now, the shuttle does not work with 6.4x RSS. Trust me, I've tried landing that thing at least 50 times (Stock and FAR) with all kinds of different approaches. You might want to wait for Dragon01 to release the new version. I am currently using the Buran shuttle in 6.4x RSS with FAR and it works fine, though you'll have to tweak some of the parts to tolerate the insane G-forces upon re-entry. The only problem I am having with the Buran is that the nose gear refuses to lower, so I can't really land without dying.

I finally docked Mir and the real space shuttle. Why does the Buran respond better with Mechjeb than the CSS. The css is constantly "chasing the the rabbit" during rendezvous. The Buran stays on the mark pretty steady and efficiently rendezvous and docks. I mean lets face it I would say 70%-80% of the KSP community uses mechjeb. Why isn't the CSS not mech jeb friendly and can it be fixed?

http://i.imgur.com/PeSk7O9.png

Use the OMS straight engines that come in the SSME pack. I find it works better. See this video I posted and you will see what I am talking about:

Hey, I had an interesting idea, how about a "nonfunctional" version of the shuttle (as far as getting into space goes) for those of us who want to recreate the landing tests of the shuttle Enterprise (aka OVA-101). Also, why is the shuttle crew pod's windows so ...black?

so, does CSS and DRE work particularly well together? I mean, does the space shuttle orbiter stay together through the entire reentry?

ummmmm its really difficult especially since the orbiter always wants to tip forward, tip backward, and kinda spin side way. So if you you keep it at the right angle and straight the heat shield down you are good. I am not making an off color joke, I have burnt up during reentry using the Columbia textures and I felt really bad.

ummmmm its really difficult especially since the orbiter always wants to tip forward, tip backward, and kinda spin side way. So if you you keep it at the right angle and straight the heat shield down you are good. I am not making an off color joke, I have burnt up during reentry using the Columbia textures and I felt really bad.

Yeah, in the version I currently have, which came out exactly when .25 came out, and Columbia came in fine (I have started my own off-camera mission series* recreating ALL the shuttle missions as best as I can) on STS-1, guess I will try out this newest version for myself.

* off-camera until I can find a workable digital on-screen recorder to film videos for youtube.

Edited by Sampa

Yeah, in the version I currently have, which came out exactly when .25 came out, and Columbia came in fine (I have started my own off-camera mission series* recreating ALL the shuttle missions as best as I can) on STS-1, guess I will try out this newest version for myself.

* off-camera until I can find a workable digital on-screen recorder to film videos for youtube.

If you have an nvidia graphics card and meet their requirements, use their new Shadow play programs. works great and cause no FPS lose.

Hey, I have been trying for the longest time to land the orbiter at the KSC runway on automatic via Mechjeb. Question, can someone who has used mechjeb to successfully autoland, could you please post a picture as to where the best place to set the final deorbit/landing point? (using the landing "module" in mechjeb 2) I really need help because I am tired of either plopping the thing in either the nearest body of water, crashing, or touching down in on any piece of land available.

Hey, I have been trying for the longest time to land the orbiter at the KSC runway on automatic via Mechjeb. Question, can someone who has used mechjeb to successfully autoland, could you please post a picture as to where the best place to set the final deorbit/landing point? (using the landing "module" in mechjeb 2) I really need help because I am tired of either plopping the thing in either the nearest body of water, crashing, or touching down in on any piece of land available.

If you want a computer to land the orbiter I suggest using the remotetech flight computer instead of mechjeb, as it does a better job of controlling the craft. Are you playing in stock, 6.4x RSS or fullscale RSS? Stock atmo, NEAR, or FAR? It is hard to recommend any way to de-orbit without the proper information. For me, I configured some of the orbiters parts so that it allows me to manually land it in both stock scale and 6.4x scale with and without FAR. Doesn't take alot to make it behave nicely with FAR.

I do it in this video here, check it out.