Confess your KSP sins

Red Iron Crown

I can't for the life of me get a ship to both land on and return to orbit from Eve. After hours of work I've gotten the former with a ship that can't do the latter, and have lost all desire to try to do the latter.

The worst part is, I have a ship that could do both in 1.0.5, but it's so many parts that I wanted to run it in 1.1.x for the better framerates. However, whatever changes happened to aerodynamics, heat, or whatever in the update has just killed this ship.

The above isn't the sin, though. The sin is I'm giving up on the attempt.

6 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

I can't for the life of me get a ship to both land on and return to orbit from Eve. After hours of work I've gotten the former with a ship that can't do the latter, and have lost all desire to try to do the latter.

The worst part is, I have a ship that could do both in 1.0.5, but it's so many parts that I wanted to run it in 1.1.x for the better framerates. However, whatever changes happened to aerodynamics, heat, or whatever in the update has just killed this ship.

The above isn't the sin, though. The sin is I'm giving up on the attempt.

This. On every level. I've been playing this game for 3-plus years and while I HAVE cobbled together a system that could do it in the past, it required Kethane (before Resources were in the game), landing a miner-refinery station, landing a specialized tanker truck for refueling with KAS pipes, and a LOT of time in-game to refine Kethane into LFO and then refuel the lander. About the time I had finally gotten things tested to run the refueling missions for the crew I had stranded on Eve, a major change happened (probably the 0.90 update but I don't remember) and I just gave up. Now if I do an Eve landing again, it will be planned as a permanent surface colony from the outset, with no plans or hopes of returning, ever. Too much darn work and not enough fun in return for me.

I use Mechjeb  for mostly anything. (not that i wouldn't know how to do stuff, i just don't want to.)

I L.O.V.E. more or less realistic Sci Fi mods, like the "project orion Engine" or sci if mods like Solaris hypernautics.

I hate landing  space planes.

I use tweakscale extensively.

I only play sandbox. (always adding/deleting mods. Don't like to again career from the beginning all the time)

I never found even one easter egg location, lol.

I use a excessive amount of reaction wheels for most rockets.

I use "Unbreakable Joints" from the cheat menu.

My rockets are RIDICULOUSLY top heavy (hence my name.) My larger cargo (or most any cargo for that matter) is usually put on the top of the rocket, making it SO flip-prone.

Modding is a necessity for me.  It's rare to find me playing a COMPLETELY stock game. I'll usually have non-part adding mods. Usually.

• 1 month later...

I almost always bring an excessive amount of fuel, I'm borderline paranoid when it comes to delta-v. I'll build a 10km/s (not including the launch stage) ship for a mere Duna flight when about half the delta-v is enough if I fly efficiently. They also tend to be unnecessarily large and heavy because I care too much about my little green dudes being comfotable.

I only recently started building rockets in my ~2 years of experience.

I don't use mechjeb as I have no need for it.

People often are bad at flying my crafts becuase I make them to my style of flight.

My favorite way of releasing anger is blowing up stuff in KSP.

I am better at flying planes than rockets

I often calculate the Delta-V of my crafts in history class as I already know what we are learning.

I don't use mods that give me Delta-V readouts as I calculate the Delta-V in my head.

I use the cheat menu :P

1. At the end of missions, i invariably have 500 m/s of D-v that I let burn up upon reentry.

2. I rarely send manned expeditions so I don't have to worry about bringing them home.

3. I liberally use quicksaves and reverts.

4. I am eternaly bound to exploring the mun, minmus, and the Duna system.  

5. I completely suck at flying spaceplanes.

6. I allow Kerbals to respawn because I can't put up with their death.

7. I waste 5 minutes coming up with all my KSP sins.

On 4/4/2016 at 8:54 AM, Coeus said:

I use timewarp to stabilize my vessels.

Doesn't everyone?

On 5/4/2016 at 2:57 AM, Drelam said:

I use a excessive amount of reaction wheels for most rockets.

As long as it stays upright, and controls well, right?

I often overdo all of my ship designs.  Some of my crafts designed to just make Kerbin orbit at about 100,000m, have almost 10,000m/s of delta-V.  A little excessive some would agree. 

I almost never use the small rocket parts and fuel parts, like the LV-T45 engine and its fuel things. 

I have only once done a interplanetary mission with returning in mind, except recently from Duna. 

I have never landed my shuttle on the runway, always resorting to landing wherever it is set to land, always forgetting to put drogue chutes on it, making landing usually destroy the engines and such.  So much for re usability. 

I constantly tell myself:  From this point on, it's hardcore mode.  Unless I'm using a mod sim, any and all failures are real.  Kerbals die, rockets blow up.  I prepare all kinds of contingencies, such as LAS and DERP escape pods.  Then I say "f it" and revert anyways.  I hate having limited time to play I guess.

Although one time I said "You have to eat this mistake, not packing enough life support" and I let a rookie Kerbal die while the Vet watched.  My partner just finished watching the Martian and won't forgive me for letting "Mark Watney" die.

I think of gamemodes other than "career mode with quicksafe and revert disabled" as not challenging enough, but because everything is so difficult this way, I never got a Kerbal out of Kerbin SOI and I just stop playing until the next update brings my attention back to the game.

On 5/3/2016 at 11:00 AM, Carraux said:

I cannot stand seeing a Kerbal dying. My space program does not tolerate deaths. If one dies, I delete the save and start from scratch.

Should...should we tell him about revert and quicksave?

I'm gonna tell him.

Someone's gotta tell him!!

-Jn-

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.