[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [16.1][28.05.2024][Mars Expedition WIP]

Beale

18 hours ago, The guy from duna said:

Do you have deferred rendering installed? that might be causing it

I was hoping that wouldn't be the issue... oh well, I shall suffer through it. Plus one vote for more SAF parts for Tantares lol.

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, The Dressian Exploder said:

On the topic of scope creep... Is there a possibility some time in the future of pre-sputnik soviet rockets being added to the mod?

It's not something I'm really interested in, sorry.

QESTHU6.png

WEwVOD0.png

QWNzq5u.png

I7IHliV.jpeg

ifFPDa2.jpeg

GkZtdKn.jpeg

Edited by Beale

3 hours ago, Beale said:

It's not something I'm really interested in, sorry.

QESTHU6.png

WEwVOD0.png

QWNzq5u.png

I7IHliV.jpeg

ifFPDa2.jpeg

GkZtdKn.jpeg

Getting there step by step, good work! By the way, may i ask, since this spacecraft was propelled by nuclear propulsion, are you planning to include the RD-0410?

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, ThatGust said:

Getting there step by step, good work! By the way, may i ask, since this spacecraft was propelled by nuclear propulsion, are you planning to include the RD-0410?

The 0410 is definitely something I want to do at some point, but as far as I know, this one is entirely nuclear-electric. Two of these propulsion modules dock on each end, and the whole thing flies "sideways" (no drag in space!)

For ksp balance, I'm going to give each engine 15kn thrust each, 300kn for the whole complex when assembled.

Irl I believe it's 0.15kn for the entire 10 engine complex.

RBUftIm.png

I4aHUTQ.png

NVK1FiF.jpeg

Edited by Beale

22 minutes ago, Beale said:

The 0410 is definitely something I want to do at some point, but as far as I know, this one is entirely nuclear-electric. Two of these propulsion modules dock on each end, and the whole thing flies "sideways" (no drag in space!)

For ksp balance, I'm going to give each engine 15kn thrust each, 300kn for the whole complex when assembled.

NVK1FiF.jpeg

So, nuclear powered Ion thrusters basically? 

Also, what's with the eye?

1 hour ago, Beale said:

RBUftIm.png

I4aHUTQ.png

NVK1FiF.jpeg

You are right bro, I got my info wrong in that regard. By the way, amazing stuff! 

Hi all!
To explain my absence in the past few weeks, i've been working on a separate mod, for fun.

My hope is that this will allow me to flip-flop between the projects, if i ever get tired of working nonstop on one of them.
If i dont send updates on the soyuz for a while in the future, assume im working on Ariane.
zXYWb9w.png

(This will not be part of Tantares)

After this little detour, and out of my own discretion and no threats received from Beale (my family is safe), i'm going back to getting the soyuz parts in the game, and finishing the revamp.
I should be able to get a few more parts added this week.
JqsdaLZ.png

40 minutes ago, CardZLol said:

Hi all!
To explain my absence in the past few weeks, i've been working on a separate mod, for fun.

My hope is that this will allow me to flip-flop between the projects, if i ever get tired of working nonstop on one of them.
If i dont send updates on the soyuz for a while in the future, assume im working on Ariane.
zXYWb9w.png

After this little detour, and out of my own discretion and no threats received from Beale (my family is safe), i'm going back to getting the soyuz parts in the game, and finishing the revamp.
JqsdaLZ.png

Nice you see Knes getting a fidelity update! It was good looking mod to begin with, but always nice to see improvements. 

Also, you might want to add placeholder end caps to all the parts that have an "empty" or "blank" end cap before any products are finished. The BDB team discovered that non-textured/modeled end caps can cause a drag issue while working with the X-15

Edited by GoldForest

1 hour ago, CardZLol said:

Hi all!

zXYWb9w.png

JqsdaLZ.png

Take as much as you want pal, no pressure :D

1 hour ago, GoldForest said:

mars_lander.jpg

This was the proposed design.

Are you sure? As far as I read the lander for this spacecraft was going to land in a horizontal way, the legs would pop up from the fuselage of the craft. Then inside the payload bay of this lander there would be the ascend vehicle. 

But about this lander, looks interesting, the shape of the heat shield reminds me of the return-to-earth vehicle from the Mars Excursion Module that the Americans also proposed.

25 minutes ago, ThatGust said:

Are you sure? As far as I read the lander for this spacecraft was going to land in a horizontal way, the legs would pop up from the fuselage of the craft. Then inside the payload bay of this lander there would be the ascend vehicle. 

But about this lander, looks interesting, the shape of the heat shield reminds me of the return-to-earth vehicle from the Mars Excursion Module that the Americans also proposed.

Well, I guess I should have said one of the designs. Can't find any others tho.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, septemberWaves said:

Glad to have more Energia payloads. And I'm very curious to see what the Mars lander will be like.

We're very foruntate to have a lot of details for it:

There's the aerodyamic landing craft, and the barebones ascent vehicle.

hewHErL.pngo7Vngo0.png9Cp8MAO.png

HT5soHc.png

4kmdt1a.png

11 hours ago, GoldForest said:

mars_lander.jpg

This was the proposed design.

As far as I know, this is the "KK" design, which is waaaay older (early 60s).

OLFa3PU.jpeg

2Cjaped.jpeg

Edited by Beale

This landing system is very reminiscent of the Constellation program. It's interesting to see where similar designs show up. I suppose there can't be that many good ways to land on Mars.

Edited by septemberWaves

23 minutes ago, septemberWaves said:

This landing system is very reminiscent of the Constellation program. It's interesting to see where similar designs show up. I suppose there can't be that many good ways to land on Mars.

The current US plan is to land the crew in the pressurized rover which is then used as the habitat and have a separate ascent vehicle which was previously staged. It's interesting how people design their architectures.

3 hours ago, SpaceFace545 said:

The current US plan is to land the crew in the pressurized rover which is then used as the habitat and have a separate ascent vehicle which was previously staged. It's interesting how people design their architectures.

Interesting. I wasn't even aware of the existence of a current US plan for Mars. I was under the impression that they still have little more than an outline for returning to the Moon yet.

Edited by septemberWaves