[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Things are happening]

Beale

2 hours ago, Beale said:

Long Reply Incoming: :wink: 
Nozzle Size: seems accurate based on a few drawings, maybe they are better at 120% diameter of the current nozzles?
2b05f9aef1.jpg

Ariane: I don't really know, if I make it 3.125m, what diameter are the boosters, it's something horrible like "1.562515m" or an close ugly number. 
At this point, it's a really tricky beast, even scaling the ATV down to 1.875m (regardless of accuracy) is starting to look like a better option.

Crown: I think I know what you have in mind!

Gemini: I think it is best placed in BDB because:

1. It will require 1.5m parts

2. It will require a launch vehicle.

Got a picture? :) 

Nozzles: Things to tend to look better when slightly exaggerated for the sake of KSP's art style, but I don't think many people will mind them either way. 

Ariane

Ultimately, the priority will be to scale it correctly to the ATV. I would not change the dimensions of ATV, or at least not drastically. I checked out the scaling, and it's surprisingly not all that inaccurate for the current iteration of the ATV. At 3.75m, it's only slightly larger than it should be compared to your ATV. The reason that Ariane is too large compared to the other launchers is that the widened integrated cargo carrier section of your ATV is 2.75m. By the math, it should be about 2.556m or so, but I think for the sake of making it actually appear like it's wider than 2.5m, as it should, 2.75 is probably ok. 

Though it may sound silly, it may make sense keeping Ariane at 3.75m. It's nice stock size, it's only slightly larger than it should be compared to your ATV, which is really what matters most, and there's no nice size to reduce it to that doesn't make the solid boosters either 1.7m or 1.5m. I can expand on config support, and allow people to scale it to 3.0m, and some other sizes in that range for the accuracy-nuts. Throw an orthographic into Wings, and play around with it yourself. I'm not so concerned with scale accuracy that I would want the parts to be less fun to play with. That's the priority. In addition, Tantares doesn't have a 3.75m LV, so it does fill a gap, however oversized it may seem in comparison to the other LVs. 

Spoiler

d1f85dd168.png

Crown: 

Yes! Like so:

ac44b37418.pngecc08f3cd6.png

Consider that the sneak-preview for the re-tooling of the TLV I'm doing for my own use. And maybe this...

Spoiler

b0a7f5145e.png

Gemini:

Agh. I'm just not sure about this. I would like to be able to use Gemini without having BDB installed. It could just cause confusion seeing parts that visually look like yours in another parts pack. Not all players pay attention to changelogs and development like we do... 

1 hour ago, Sli 41 said:

Ok this is what I have, the probe just pokes the port without connecting.
j835sn.jpg

2 hours ago, Sli 41 said:

Hey great stuff I'm really loving the look of the parts!
But I don't know if I'm stupid or what, because I can't dock, I installed the drogue on a little station, got close to it, extended the probe, but it just won't attach to it. I just keep stabbing it without anything happening.

Glad to know it was just a simple .cfg error. Let me know how they work for you. Glad to know people enjoy using it. 

I actually found out that @Ven figured out soft-docking docking ports months before I did. All of his revamps of the Clamp-O-Trons have "bumpers" that work the same way. I'm going to have to talk to him about his Unity setup for those ports, and get some tips... 

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

MAKE THE BOOSTERS 1.5m. DO IT BEALE.

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

1.5m boosters, and a 1.5m>1.25m adapter for use in a stack.

1 hour ago, Beale said:

Hehehe, it is a tempting solution, but would cause all many problems! I would need a lot of adapters.
Well, size would not matter if the boosters were entirely radial, but as they currently are they have a couple of extra uses with the top attachment node.

In the event that Ariane does get scaled down, I agree with your point. Because they're radial, I don't think many people will care what diameter they are. You could conceivably even bake the nosecone onto them, and basically make the diameter irrelevant, as they wouldn't be stack-able at all, but, that would be a bit drastic. 

Edited by curtquarquesso

@curtquarquesso I agree that as long as there is good Tweakscale support (I love the custom scaling that @Jso has made for the lastest BDB update) then the actual size doesn't matter as much. My only caveat to that is that things like command pods can't (shouldn't?) be scaled, so then we're back to the command pod sizing determining everything else.

Also, 1.7m is going to be present in the next BDB release in the form of the Juno. I couldn't sleep at night if I made it 1.875m. I understand that it's a separate mod but I just bring up 1.5m and 1.7m to say that Tantares wouldn't be the only pack using those sizes. Now if only I could find other 1.7m things to flesh out the size a bit more.

I'd prefer that the SRBs stay with their caps off. Like @Beale said, some people (including myself) like to use them as 1st stage boosters for satellite launchers, and you can do things such as place parachute nose cones on the tops.

EDIT: You brought up that it would be strange seeing Beale's textures in another mod. I believe that he is working to make sure the textures follow my style. Likewise, I am doing the same with his textures for my contribution. So Tantares is getting something out of this too ;)

Edited by CobaltWolf

8 hours ago, hoojiwana said:

That seems like the perfect sort of thing to turn into an IVA prop you can hide everywhere.

Oh dear, with the photo of the Almighty Loaf and now this, we'll have ouselves an analog of the Apollo 14 backup crew patch on steroids!

I've mentioned it once or twice in passing, but I'll throw it out as a direct question : does anyone have a modulemanager config (I really don't want to use tweaksacale just for this) to rescale the R7 rocket parts to 1.875m ?

6 hours ago, curtquarquesso said:

Ariane: 

Ultimately, the priority will be to scale it correctly to the ATV. I would not change the dimensions of ATV, or at least not drastically. I checked out the scaling, and it's surprisingly not all that inaccurate for the current iteration of the ATV. At 3.75m, it's only slightly larger than it should be compared to your ATV. The reason that Ariane is too large compared to the other launchers is that the widened integrated cargo carrier section of your ATV is 2.75m. By the math, it should be about 2.556m or so, but I think for the sake of making it actually appear like it's wider than 2.5m, as it should, 2.75 is probably ok. 

Though it may sound silly, it may make sense keeping Ariane at 3.75m. It's nice stock size, it's only slightly larger than it should be compared to your ATV, which is really what matters most, and there's no nice size to reduce it to that doesn't make the solid boosters either 1.7m or 1.5m. I can expand on config support, and allow people to scale it to 3.0m, and some other sizes in that range for the accuracy-nuts. Throw an orthographic into Wings, and play around with it yourself. I'm not so concerned with scale accuracy that I would want the parts to be less fun to play with. That's the priority. In addition, Tantares doesn't have a 3.75m LV, so it does fill a gap, however oversized it may seem in comparison to the other LVs. 

Gemini:

Agh. I'm just not sure about this. I would like to be able to use Gemini without having BDB installed. It could just cause confusion seeing parts that visually look like yours in another parts pack. Not all players pay attention to changelogs and development like we do... 

Glad to know it was just a simple .cfg error. Let me know how they work for you. Glad to know people enjoy using it. 

You know what? You have convinced me to keep it 3.75m :) 

It's very wrong, but it's a plain size and can be easily scaled for those who really want it.
Plus, you say a very good point! We need a 3.75m launch vehicle.

Gemini

Perhaps, the Gemini may be dropped, but we can bring back the Apollo D2, or the likes of that? :) 
The alternative is keeping the current Gemini around as some kind of thing. I wouldn't change the size though.

5 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

1.7m is going to be present in the next BDB release in the form of the Juno. I couldn't sleep at night if I made it 1.875m. I understand that it's a separate mod but I just bring up 1.5m and 1.7m to say that Tantares wouldn't be the only pack using those sizes. Now if only I could find other 1.7m things to flesh out the size a bit more.

EDIT: You brought up that it would be strange seeing Beale's textures in another mod. I believe that he is working to make sure the textures follow my style. Likewise, I am doing the same with his textures for my contribution. So Tantares is getting something out of this too ;)

Interesting size, why the small difference in diameter is key for the Juno? :) 

Trying some Gemini models from @curtquarquesso's files. It will go together quite well, and the good IVA will also be key!
The window trenches are in pretty good shape! The windows are angled correctly, my old model they were completely flat, which is the wrong shape.

f5ff62caac.png

812cd766c3.jpg

43 minutes ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Oh dear, with the photo of the Almighty Loaf and now this, we'll have ouselves an analog of the Apollo 14 backup crew patch on steroids!

How cute!

apollo-14_backup.jpg

Edited by Beale

37 minutes ago, tjsnh said:

I've mentioned it once or twice in passing, but I'll throw it out as a direct question : does anyone have a modulemanager config (I really don't want to use tweaksacale just for this) to rescale the R7 rocket parts to 1.875m ?

I can help with this. I'm working on a reworking of the R7 that scales it more appropriately. It makes the top of the core stage 1.5m, as well as the strap on boosters, and keeps the bottom of the core 1.25m. I could whip up a 1.875m version I suppose. 

@Beale, I'll write a lengthier reply to you a bit later tonight. :)

Edited by curtquarquesso

16 minutes ago, Beale said:

How cute!

apollo-14_backup.jpg

Did you, uh, not know about this before? I thought it was pretty well known. 

In case you didn't though, this is basically what happened. The Apollo 14 backup crew designed this patch and had hundreds of them made. They then proceeded to hide them all in the Apollo 14 command module (and maybe lunar module too). The prime crew kept finding them throughout the whole mission, and eventually they found themselves inside a spacecraft the size of a small car with hundreds of patches and nowhere to put them.

11 hours ago, curtquarquesso said:

I can help with this. I'm working on a reworking of the R7 that scales it more appropriately. It makes the top of the core stage 1.5m, as well as the strap on boosters, and keeps the bottom of the core 1.25m. I could whip up a 1.875m version I suppose. 

@Beale, I'll write a lengthier reply to you a bit later tonight. :)

Any help would be appreciated. I've taken a few stabs at it myself without much luck. Getting the R7 to 1.875 would be an enormous improvement for my career mode mod for a dozen different reasons.

Hey I just downloaded the Tantares mods and some craft files. I have all the proper mods installed so I downloaded some of CaptKordite's craft files. Most of them work except for his N1 Moon lander. When I try to load that ship I get the error message that it couldn't be loaded because a part is missing. The part is called 'TLV.LES.A'. I thought 'Oh I must have somehow forgot to add that file' so I scoured the folders for the Tantares pack and I couldn't find any file called 'TLV.LES.A'. Was that part removed from the modpack or something? 

1 hour ago, Orange7093 said:

Hey I just downloaded the Tantares mods and some craft files. I have all the proper mods installed so I downloaded some of CaptKordite's craft files. Most of them work except for his N1 Moon lander. When I try to load that ship I get the error message that it couldn't be loaded because a part is missing. The part is called 'TLV.LES.A'. I thought 'Oh I must have somehow forgot to add that file' so I scoured the folders for the Tantares pack and I couldn't find any file called 'TLV.LES.A'. Was that part removed from the modpack or something? 

You need the 'TantaresLV' (launch vehicles) mod for this part. Do you have this? :) 

51 minutes ago, Beale said:

You need the 'TantaresLV' (launch vehicles) mod for this part. Do you have this? :) 

https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/362/Tantares%20LV%20-%20Stockalike%20Proton%20%26%20More This mod? Yeah I do, I have all the Tantares mods. For some reason certain crafts say I don't have a certain part but I know that I installed them correctly :/

And this is the craft (among others) that doesnt load in because it says I don't have the right parts https://kerbalx.com/CaptKordite/Korolevs-N1-L3-Moon-Rocket 

Edited by Orange7093

50 minutes ago, Orange7093 said:

https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/362/Tantares%20LV%20-%20Stockalike%20Proton%20%26%20More This mod? Yeah I do, I have all the Tantares mods. For some reason certain crafts say I don't have a certain part but I know that I installed them correctly :/

And this is the craft (among others) that doesnt load in because it says I don't have the right parts https://kerbalx.com/CaptKordite/Korolevs-N1-L3-Moon-Rocket 

@Beale that craft file was uploaded before the Soyuz rocket got revamped. File was uploaded in August, the TLV revamp was September.

51 minutes ago, Orange7093 said:

In the last revamp for the Soyuz/R7 in TantaresLV, the change of the launch escape motor was changed from something, to TLV_LES_A. Enough has changed, that those craft files are probably totally defunct. I would just make your own, and look at the pictures that CaptKordite provided. 

1 hour ago, Orange7093 said:

10 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

@Beale that craft file was uploaded before the Soyuz rocket got revamped. File was uploaded in August, the TLV revamp was September.

9 minutes ago, curtquarquesso said:

In the last revamp for the Soyuz/R7 in TantaresLV, the change of the launch escape motor was changed from something, to TLV_LES_A. Enough has changed, that those craft files are probably totally defunct. I would just make your own, and look at the pictures that CaptKordite provided. 

Ah okay, more sense now.

What is there now is "TLV_LES", not "TLV_LES_A", I am not sure why I changed that, but...

Sorry @Orange7093, as the replies have said, you are probably best to try and build the designs yourself.

Gemini!

So much fun!

Big bonus now is the parachute part is separate, so the RCS block is no longer such a niche combo-part :wink: 

7675113e82.jpg

839900a23f.jpg

Edited by Beale

10 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Looking good. How is the parachute done now? Is it a little pack like the FASA one? BDB already has the Mercury RCS chute so the Gemini one is fine being separate.

A small disk, similar to many Tantares parts. :lol:
Click for larger resolution...

I'll have screenshot of the Canopy soon!

4b2d635c6b.jpg

d0ef8b549c.jpg

Texture

To put the engine there or not?

Currently 1024x1024, but an extra sheet for Engine (maybe 512x512 or smaller) would be maybe safer + leaves space for Big-G in main sheet (maybe).

5b37543378.jpg

Edited by Beale

10 minutes ago, Beale said:

A small disk, similar to many Tantares parts. :lol:
Click for larger resolution...

I'll have screenshot of the Canopy soon!

Texture

To put the engine there or not?

Currently 1024x1024, but an extra sheet for Engine (maybe 512x512 or smaller) would be maybe safer + leaves space for Big-G in main sheet (maybe).

If you're planning on doing Big G (just the compartment? If you're doing the cargo/service module I'll have to figure out more things to make for you) then it's probably best to put it on that map, so that you can reuse all your layers. Looking great so far!