[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Things are happening]

Beale

I just checked this, and yes, the inline parachute isn't marked as passable. I can transfer crew through it under Connected Living Space, but to do so I have to go into CLS' options and tick "Allow Unrestricted Crew Transfers". Similarly, FreeIVA says the parachute blocks the hatch, but there is no way around this.

Are there many other Tantares parts with this restriction, I wonder?

Edited by softweir

14 hours ago, softweir said:

I just checked this, and yes, the inline parachute isn't marked as passable. I can transfer crew through it under Connected Living Space, but to do so I have to go into CLS' options and tick "Allow Unrestricted Crew Transfers". Similarly, FreeIVA says the parachute blocks the hatch, but there is no way around this.

Are there many other Tantares parts with this restriction, I wonder?

This isn't a stock / vanilla feature so no, there's no special compatibility with CLS or FreeIVA - it would have to be created.

1 hour ago, Beale said:

This isn't a stock / vanilla feature so no, there's no special compatibility with CLS or FreeIVA - it would have to be created.

Of course. I wasn't thinking!

Hmmm. I wonder what needs to be done to create the appropriate .cfg...

1 hour ago, hugoraider said:

@Beale Hey, I've been thinking about something. Do you think you could make a Proton 1st stage variant with only 3 engines? Would be useful for the UR-700 2nd stage :)

I would love to, but unfortunately the proton assets have been lost for years (Not the ones on GitHub).

I'd be interested in an actual UR-700 in future .

Edited by Beale

37 minutes ago, hugoraider said:

Oh damn... that's really sad to hear... :( But wouldn't it be possible to make it using the current 6 engines model? All it would need IMO would be to remove 3 of the engines and fill the gaps.

Nah sadly not, it uses a baked occlusion map behind the boosters, and there's no clean slate on the texture to fill it in.

On 7/26/2023 at 5:50 PM, hugoraider said:

Yeah, plus it's kinda pointless to have LK-700 without the rocket that was specifically designed to launch it :D

I wouldn't go that far exactly, the lander itself is such a basic shape that it fits on just about any old rocket, but I would really very much enjoy a full UR-700 stack.

Github

https://github.com/Tantares/Tantares

Image because it won't embed.

Edited by Beale

17 hours ago, Beale said:

I wouldn't go that far exactly, the lander itself is such a basic shape that it fits on just about any old rocket, but I would really very much enjoy a full UR-700 stack.

Github

https://github.com/Tantares/Tantares

Image because it won't embed.

Yeah, true, but the options are kinda limited for a Soviet style Mun-rated launcher. I mean, I only can think about the N1 and UR-700 :D

4 hours ago, hugoraider said:

Yeah, true, but the options are kinda limited for a Soviet style Mun-rated launcher. I mean, I only can think about the N1 and UR-700 :D

It's been a while since I've done this in KSP, but you can make a Mun variant of Soyuz rockets. The main Soyuz stack normally tapers smaller below the top of the radial boosters. Eliminate that taper, using wider tanks for the entire center stack. The extra diameter will provide more fuel and DV. The wider fuselage allows 6 boosters instead of the normal 4 to help get more raw thrust for the larger rocket to takeoff.

28 minutes ago, DeadJohn said:

It's been a while since I've done this in KSP, but you can make a Mun variant of Soyuz rockets. The main Soyuz stack normally tapers smaller below the top of the radial boosters. Eliminate that taper, using wider tanks for the entire center stack. The extra diameter will provide more fuel and DV. The wider fuselage allows 6 boosters instead of the normal 4 to help get more raw thrust for the larger rocket to takeoff.

Oh yeah, sounds like an interesting alternative :)

10 hours ago, hugoraider said:

There's also the R-56: http://www.astronautix.com/r/r-56.html

A smaller, Soviet Moon rocket, with a LEO capacity of 40 tons, it would probably need orbital assembly to work as a Moon rocket, but the original Apollo project also needed orbital assembly.

It would probably be around 3.75 meters wide in KSP, so it should be fairly easy to make!

9 hours ago, gdogthe_man said:

Hey I downloaded Russian Orbiter and put it into the game data folder but nothing is showing up is there something else I need?

Russian Orbiter? Do you mean the basic Tantares with the spacecrafts? You must not move the entire .zip to GameData, but only the Tantares folder it contains.

Here is a howto for installing mods:

12 hours ago, gdogthe_man said:

Hey I downloaded Russian Orbiter and put it into the game data folder but nothing is showing up is there something else I need?

I assume you're trying to get Buran, in which case you'll need to go to Benjee10's Shuttle Orbiter Construction kit, get the latest release, and move the contents of the extras folder into the parts folder, as well as get the latest release of SOCK Repainted and SOCK Recolored.

5 hours ago, gdogthe_man said:

I got all the required mods, but this keeps popping upImage 

You are in the wrong thread. It`s caused by benjees SOCK, not Tantares.

I also recommend reading this:

De zorgeloze korporaal, die altijd vrolijk het sqn. rondwaarde, en voor iedereen een praatje niet uit de weg ging. Peter overlijdt na een kortstondige virusziekte opgelopen in Kreta.

Edited by Cheesecake

On 8/4/2023 at 2:20 AM, Davi SDF said:

There's also the R-56: http://www.astronautix.com/r/r-56.html

A smaller, Soviet Moon rocket, with a LEO capacity of 40 tons, it would probably need orbital assembly to work as a Moon rocket, but the original Apollo project also needed orbital assembly.

It would probably be around 3.75 meters wide in KSP, so it should be fairly easy to make!

Oh yeah, this one looks interesting too

On 8/3/2023 at 2:31 PM, hugoraider said:

There is an... alternative approach using the N1.

https://russianspaceweb.com/19k.html

https://russianspaceweb.com/21k.html

This system is, as far as I'm aware, one of the first Soviet designs for a crewed lunar lander. It involves several launches of an earlier, less powerful N1 design to assemble a lunar spacecraft with an Earth-orbit-rendezvous approach. It's challenging to get the correct look when kitbashing it, but it's an interesting alternative.

3 hours ago, hugoraider said:

That is... a very weird lander. Looks like they quickly glued a landing platform to the front end of a Soyuz :D

The Soyuz spacecraft docks to the lander, but that is more or less what is done here. This design predates docking ports which could be passed through, and it also predates an N-1 powerful enough to do the lunar landing mission in a single launch. Presumably part of the design consideration was minimizing alterations to the crewed pressure vessel (similar to the wide variety of utterly ridiculous variants of the Apollo lunar module proposed for the Apollo Applications Program). This is a strong contender for the most ridiculous lunar lander concept ever seriously proposed.