[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Things are happening]

Beale

Hello Kosmonauts!

I'm here to bring you a cheesy, shameless self-plug for a mod I'm helping make, the Cold War Progression tech tree!

Considering the Sovi- *ahem* "Russian" tree is basically complete, we now need alpha testers! Don't worry, it is playable, and I did get permission from @Beale before advertizing here.

Just installed this and really admire the style of these parts. Who doesn’t want a nice Soyuz in their space program?!

With that comes a question though, is this on GitHub or something similar? I would like to sort all the parts into the new 1.2 categories. I can do this just fine on my own machine, but ideally, would like to feed this back to the release so everyone can benefit :).

Because I’m such a patient man, I couldn’t wait for a reply to my previous post :sealed:.

So, instead, I made a patch for Tantares and TantaresLV that places all parts in the correct 1.2 categories :cool:!

Direct GitHub download link.

If you spot any mistakes please let me know here or file an issue on GitHub :).

Tantares%20Category%20Fix.jpg

Edited by Moiety
Add image.

1 hour ago, Moiety said:

Because I’m such a patient man, I couldn’t wait for a reply to my previous post :sealed:.

So, instead, I made a patch for Tantares and TantaresLV that places all parts in the correct 1.2 categories :cool:!

Direct GitHub download link.

If you spot any mistakes please let me know here or file an issue on GitHub :).

Tantares%20Category%20Fix.jpg

Nice work! But, this is already fixed for the next release.

Blue, blue, electric blue...
Enough pipes to suspend disbelief, if it is incorrect.

B76YwWr.png
d1VmdEp.png

@Beale I did a search for GitHub in this thread and found that it’s been asked before, but didn’t see a concrete answer from you. Is Tantares(LV) on GitHub or a similar service? I’ve spotted a few spelling errors I’d like to fix :). Also, I think more people here could lend a helping hand if it was on some sort of versioning system.

@IronCretin nice photos!

---

As I play with TAC LS and because support for Tantares that comes with TAC LS is limited—it adds the resources to certain parts based on a bunch of params—I thought it be a good idea to write up some better support for it.

TL;DR get almost a year of life support on a complete MIR with four kerbals.

I’m currently going through the list of parts to see what would make sense. I’ve assembled a bare bones MIR based on information from Wikipedia and the craft files by @CaptKordite. If I apply TAC’s base setting to all crewed parts this would get 22 days of life support for three kerbals; which is way to short if you want to time warp a mission to Duna for example (let alone any other body). So I’m trying to get it up to about a year / 426 days for the fully assembled MIR with four kerbals (for example: two scientist to science and two pilots in case you need to evacuate).

Given that V-DOS-A "Rotund" Crew Block is the main part of MIR it makes sense to me to equip this with fairly generous values. Values for V-DOS-A I’m testing with:

• Food: 452.8
  • Water: 299.2
  • Oxygen: 45867
  • Waste: 41
  • Waste Water: 380.60
  • Carbon Dioxide: 39558.5

This is equal to: 4⨉ 1.25m Supplies Container, 2⨉ 1.25m Waste Container, 1⨉ 0.625m Waste Container. The mass of the supplies is automatically added to the V-DOS-A; which has a wet mass (food, water, oxygen included) of 3.295 tons (dry mass is 2.8 tons). This gives the MIR core 313 days with a crew of 4.

For the A-NXL Docking & Command Module (main part for the KVANT-2, Kristall, Spektre, and Priroda modules) the values are as follows:

• Food: 30.65
  • Water: 20.25
  • Oxygen: 3105.6
  • Waste: 2.625
  • Waste Water: 24.5
  • Carbon Dioxide: 2545.85

This is equal to: .5⨉ 1.5m HexCan Supplies and .25⨉ 1.5m HexCan Waste. Again, the mass is automatically added to the A-NXL which now has a wet mass of 1.933 tons (dry mass is 1.9 tons).

With these two upgrades a completed MIR with four kerbals gives you between 400 and 410 days of life support.

Since Beale already made a config for USI (thanks for the comments in that) I’m looking to make a direct port of those values to see how well that works. Reason for my initial approach was to figure out TAC code and keep it stupid simple; having 4-5 parts to empty and refuel is a lot easier than having to go through all the different parts.

Tantares%20TAC%20LS.jpg

You can download this TAC LS patch from GitHub. But be aware that it’s still very much a work in progress as I keep playing around with values for the parts. As far as I’m aware values don’t change for parts already placed in models (that goes for ships in craft files and ships out and about).

Now we wait for the inevitable message from Beale telling me “Nice work! But, this is already fixed for the next release.” :D.

Edited by Moiety
Add section about TAC LS.

On 23/01/2017 at 2:19 PM, Moiety said:

@Beale I did a search for GitHub in this thread and found that it’s been asked before, but didn’t see a concrete answer from you. Is Tantares(LV) on GitHub or a similar service? I’ve spotted a few spelling errors I’d like to fix :). Also, I think more people here could lend a helping hand if it was on some sort of versioning system.

@IronCretin nice photos!

---

As I play with TAC LS and because support for Tantares that comes with TAC LS is limited—it adds the resources to certain parts based on a bunch of params—I thought it be a good idea to write up some better support for it.

TL;DR get almost a year of life support on a complete MIR with four kerbals.

I’m currently going through the list of parts to see what would make sense. I’ve assembled a bare bones MIR based on information from Wikipedia and the craft files by @CaptKordite. If I apply TAC’s base setting to all crewed parts this would get 22 days of life support for three kerbals; which is way to short if you want to time warp a mission to Duna for example (let alone any other body). So I’m trying to get it up to about a year / 426 days for the fully assembled MIR with four kerbals (for example: two scientist to science and two pilots in case you need to evacuate).

Given that V-DOS-A "Rotund" Crew Block is the main part of MIR it makes sense to me to equip this with fairly generous values. Values for V-DOS-A I’m testing with:

• Food: 452.8
  • Water: 299.2
  • Oxygen: 45867
  • Waste: 41
  • Waste Water: 380.60
  • Carbon Dioxide: 39558.5

This is equal to: 4⨉ 1.25m Supplies Container, 2⨉ 1.25m Waste Container, 1⨉ 0.625m Waste Container. The mass of the supplies is automatically added to the V-DOS-A; which has a wet mass (food, water, oxygen included) of 3.295 tons (dry mass is 2.8 tons). This gives the MIR core 313 days with a crew of 4.

For the A-NXL Docking & Command Module (main part for the KVANT-2, Kristall, Spektre, and Priroda modules) the values are as follows:

• Food: 30.65
  • Water: 20.25
  • Oxygen: 3105.6
  • Waste: 2.625
  • Waste Water: 24.5
  • Carbon Dioxide: 2545.85

This is equal to: .5⨉ 1.5m HexCan Supplies and .25⨉ 1.5m HexCan Waste. Again, the mass is automatically added to the A-NXL which now has a wet mass of 1.933 tons (dry mass is 1.9 tons).

With these two upgrades a completed MIR with four kerbals gives you between 400 and 410 days of life support.

Since Beale already made a config for USI (thanks for the comments in that) I’m looking to make a direct port of those values to see how well that works. Reason for my initial approach was to figure out TAC code and keep it stupid simple; having 4-5 parts to empty and refuel is a lot easier than having to go through all the different parts.

Tantares%20TAC%20LS.jpg

You can download this TAC LS patch from GitHub. But be aware that it’s still very much a work in progress as I keep playing around with values for the parts. As far as I’m aware values don’t change for parts already placed in models (that goes for ships in craft files and ships out and about).

Now we wait for the inevitable message from Beale telling me “Nice work! But, this is already fixed for the next release.” :D.

5 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I wouldn't worry about that... :wink:

I'm not really sure how to say this... :o 

@Moiety nice work! But, a lot of the parts will be changed / missing soon (I am starting again from scratch). When we get to the point again (hopefully soon) with Salyut and MIR, I will use these configs.

About GitHub, no I do not use - I am not sure how to integrate an existing workflow into it (Advice appreciated).

6 hours ago, DJ Reonic said:

Are there any plans to redo the Progress as well?

Yes, alongside when doing Salyut / MIR :) 

@IronCretin That's beautiful! Very nice mission with limited WIP parts. :) 

Edited by Beale

38 minutes ago, Beale said:

About GitHub, no I do not use - I am not sure how to integrate an existing workflow into it (Advice appreciated).

Made this for Akron back in the day. Here's how to set it up. When I finish work for a night, I just copy over whatever files I've updated into the local copy of the repo and make a quick commit/sync. Or it can be even faster to just upload them directly to the website, though you have less control over things like file structure.

Spoiler

> But, a lot of the parts will be changed / missing soon (I am starting again from scratch).

And here I was enjoying building rockets only to find I'm going to have to do them all over again. There isn't a way you could keep all the same names for parts, is there? Sure, when old craft files are loaded into the new version, changes in sizes and scales can mess up things but at least one could move things around instead of having a career crash, crews die in orbit and have to start building every ship all over again.

7 hours ago, CaptKordite said:

> But, a lot of the parts will be changed / missing soon (I am starting again from scratch).

And here I was enjoying building rockets only to find I'm going to have to do them all over again. There isn't a way you could keep all the same names for parts, is there? Sure, when old craft files are loaded into the new version, changes in sizes and scales can mess up things but at least one could move things around instead of having a career crash, crews die in orbit and have to start building every ship all over again.

It's really tricky, I've got a lot of grief for keeping the same names also, as people would like to use the previous versions alongside the current versions.

I don't know what to do...

Btw, "start from scratch" was months ago. Your new N1-L3 for example should be unaffected.

2 hours ago, Beale said:

It's really tricky, I've got a lot of grief for keeping the same names also, as people would like to use the previous versions alongside the current versions.

I don't know what to do..

Don't sweat it.
You layed out the folders and parts files very logically (FAR FAR better than some other large parts mods), and it's incredibly easy to delete stuff out of the "old" mod that has been replaced.

4 hours ago, Beale said:

I don't know what to do...

Btw, "start from scratch" was months ago. Your new N1-L3 for example should be unaffected.

Stay with your plan. Having to rebuild designs is a perfectly acceptable trade-off for getting new and better components, and your updates have consistently brought us new and better things.

Simply put; if you want an omelette, you've got to break some eggs. :)

On 1/24/2017 at 8:18 PM, Beale said:

I'm not really sure how to say this... :o 

@Moiety nice work! But, a lot of the parts will be changed / missing soon (I am starting again from scratch). When we get to the point again (hopefully soon) with Salyut and MIR, I will use these configs.

No problem! I want to have a look at the Progress too, because it would be nice to use that to be able to re-supply MIR like in real life. I’m not too familiar with which parts are used for supplies though. So any help with that would be appreciated. In the mean time I’ve ordered this book about the Soyuz to give me some more insight.

1 hour ago, Joeybafoey said:

That is one fiiiiiiiine rocket right there. 5 stars!

Very nearly done now...

qPfMsla.png
7Y5SEE5.png
4tx6wjl.png

1 hour ago, Moiety said:

No problem! I want to have a look at the Progress too, because it would be nice to use that to be able to re-supply MIR like in real life. I’m not too familiar with which parts are used for supplies though. So any help with that would be appreciated. In the mean time I’ve ordered this book about the Soyuz to give me some more insight.

Traditionally (the grand ancient tradition of three years...) the supplies have been put in the orbital module. But, anything can change.

The book is quite good. I own it :) 

Edited by Beale

19 minutes ago, Beale said:

Traditionally (the grand ancient tradition of three years...) the supplies have been put in the orbital module. But, anything can change.

The book is quite good. I own it :) 

Cool! I’ll work with that. What are the descent block modules for then? Are they used to return the garbage to Earth? Because that could work with TAC too.

Edited by Moiety

23 minutes ago, Beale said:

That actually is where the supplies go IRL.

4 minutes ago, Moiety said:

Cool! I’ll work with that. What are the descent block modules for then? Are they used to return the garbage to Earth? Because that could work with TAC too.

They're usually full of fuel for the ISS's engines, located in the Zvezda module.

EDIT: 1350px-Unmanned_resupply_spacecraft_comp

Edited by CobaltWolf

41 minutes ago, Beale said:

Very nearly done now...

I need a finished Soyuz rocket on my desk by 11 PM central standard time or you're fired.

Edit:

What's your plan for separating that from the rest of the rocket? Solid 4 part shroud and a wire decoupler? That'd be pretty dope.

Edited by VenomousRequiem