[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Things are happening]

Beale

10 hours ago, Kaleta said:

I agree with the fact that Roscosmos is nothing but a rollercoaster with no brakes that's reached the top, but it is kind of sad you won't really do anything beyond the 80s. Anyway, your work on the Soyuz is absolutely amazing! I am still quite excited for any more updates.

I do totally get where you come from, and get the coolness factor behind newly announced modules or craft or probes, but it's all vaporware to me. And I feel a bit icky shoulder to shoulder with anything slightly modern.

I think I'd like to know what personally you would be interested in 1990+ ?

Few things I've touched / had interest in that happened after 1991:

1F / Fobos / mars-96 craft, firmly rooted in late 80s.

Energia, borderline late 80s early 90s

Same for Polyus/Skif

ISS and ISS adjacent stuff, mostly based in hardware from the 80s, (zvezda / dos8 is from 1985)

Mir-2, not sure this counts since it's alternative history, but would be 1993+

Fregat (late 90s to 2000), it's just cool, ubiquitous, and successful (definitely not a paper pipe dream). It's lesser known but it was also from the Fobos program, or got its start there.

Only real outlier I can tell is Fobos grunt (which I admit, I like a lot) seems to only got going 1998, might have used some leftovers from 1F but info is a bit sketchy

On 7/1/2023 at 4:13 PM, Transformatron said:

Beale, earlier in this thread someone expressed scaling up the new soyuz to 1.5m in diameter. A soyuz's main diameter of 2.2 becomes 1.375, which happens to be exactly in the middle of 1.25 and 1.5m. I believe 1.5 was suggested as a few parts in BDB use this diameter (Delta ii, Gemini capsule). I did some comparisons with other craft in ksp so people could share their opinions. 

Baseline comparison:

BZoVSi2.png

Salyut:

Z9Bbyyb.png

ASTP:

J3OVI9l.png

Personally I think I prefer the oversized soyuz a bit more but the specific situation makes a difference in which looks better (I think the smaller one looks better on the rear salyut docking port lol).

I think at the very minimum you've made a compelling case for a patch lol

V. Nice examples and images

Edited by Beale

10 minutes ago, Beale said:

Fobos

So I always wondered why the Prop-F lander was never successful in KSP.  Here I thought it was just a ball thing that landed and did some science, nothing spectacular.  Welp, shamefully it took me this long to find out that the Prop-F was actually meant to hop around on Phobos!  Now I understand why it never made it into KSP.  Even with breaking ground robotics, I have a feeling there would be chaos... or just bugs a plenty.  Very interesting lander design that never saw use in real life due to failures.

But that Fobos Grunt looking kinda cute, not gonna lie.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2023 at 2:58 AM, Beale said:

I think I'd like to know what personally you would be interested in 1990+ ?

Few things I've touched / had interest in that happened after 1991:

1F / Fobos / mars-96 craft, firmly rooted in late 80s.

Energia, borderline late 80s early 90s

Same for Polyus/Skif

ISS and ISS adjacent stuff, mostly based in hardware from the 80s, (zvezda / dos8 is from 1985)

Mir-2, not sure this counts since it's alternative history, but would be 1993+

Fregat (late 90s to 2000), it's just cool, ubiquitous, and successful (definitely not a paper pipe dream). It's lesser known but it was also from the Fobos program, or got its start there.

Only real outlier I can tell is Fobos grunt (which I admit, I like a lot) seems to only got going 1998, might have used some leftovers from 1F but info is a bit sketchy

To go with the Energia, I would like to a SOCK type mod for a Buran (whether it be you or someone else), although that'd be 80s , and I think there may be a mod for that already. 1990s on though it is kind of hard, but I think Orel would be kinda interesting to see, I think it may go well with other interesting concept vehicles/stations like the ROSS or Mir-2. Another cool thing I'd like to see in KSP would be the new concepts for space stations, like Axiom or ROSS (despite the fact it pretty much only exists because politics and russia not wanting to do much with the US or EU, i think it still is kinda cool), or even the Lunar Gateway (i forget the exact name).

8 hours ago, Kaleta said:

To go with the Energia, I would like to a SOCK type mod for a Buran (whether it be you or someone else), although that'd be 80s , and I think there may be a mod for that already. 1990s on though it is kind of hard, but I think Orel would be kinda interesting to see, I think it may go well with other interesting concept vehicles/stations like the ROSS or Mir-2. Another cool thing I'd like to see in KSP would be the new concepts for space stations, like Axiom or ROSS (despite the fact it pretty much only exists because politics and russia not wanting to do much with the US or EU, i think it still is kinda cool), or even the Lunar Gateway (i forget the exact name).

I'm currently working on a SOCK-based Buran mod, haven't worked on it for quite some time though

16 hours ago, hugoraider said:

I'm currently working on a SOCK-based Buran mod, haven't worked on it for quite some time though

The dev of SOCK has made some WIP parts for Buran. Those parts are in the dev Github of the mod, the parts aren't finished though, he only made the rear part of Buran and the cockpit itself, the main body and wings are missing.

2 hours ago, ThatGust said:

The dev of SOCK has made some WIP parts for Buran. Those parts are in the dev Github of the mod, the parts aren't finished though, he only made the rear part of Buran and the cockpit itself, the main body and wings are missing.

the Buran Project was scrapped, they were only released to give the fans of the project at least something

6 hours ago, ThatGust said:

I know lol, which parts do you think my mod is based on? :D

On 7/17/2023 at 7:49 AM, Kaleta said:

Just so you know, SOCK Buran is a thing, the community basically finished it.
t70dOQJ.png

KkohUnb.png

3 hours ago, Jim123 said:

Where does one go to get the community finished Buran SOCK

There is one, sort off, that you can make taking pieces of other mods here and there. In the image seen previously on this thread, there are:

- Cockpit and Rear: Parts of the unfinished Buran proyect by the SOCK team

-Body: Straight up from SOCK, but the texture i believe is from SOCK Recolored

-Wings: Equal as before, texture is from SOCK Recolored

And the rest is straight up from Tantares and some parts from vanilla, and some custom decals that you can make or find.

Regarding an actual SOCK Buran, well the dude that responded me before is finishing the SOCK one, but still all WIP

Go to the page 3 and 4 of the thread.

2 hours ago, ThatGust said:

There is one, sort off, that you can make taking pieces of other mods here and there. In the image seen previously on this thread, there are:

- Cockpit and Rear: Parts of the unfinished Buran proyect by the SOCK team

-Body: Straight up from SOCK, but the texture i believe is from SOCK Recolored

-Wings: Equal as before, texture is from SOCK Recolored

And the rest is straight up from Tantares and some parts from vanilla, and some custom decals that you can make or find.

Regarding an actual SOCK Buran, well the dude that responded me before is finishing the SOCK one, but still all WIP

Go to the page 3 and 4 of the thread.

Thank you very much!

Am I doing something wrong? When I put the "Tanteres Size 0 Inline Parachute" between "Tantares 93-A/B/C Orbital Module" and "Tantares 12-A Crew Capsule", I'm not allowed to transfer crew from the crew capsule into the orbital module because the inline parachute is in the way. 

Shouldn't I be able to transfer between the crew capsule and the orbital module? If I remove the inline parachute, then the ship won't have any parachute.