[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Things are happening]

Beale

40 minutes ago, hraban said:

One of the small Fins (tweakable) was released with Contares and is very helpfull to stabilize the TLV.

Err, Stock Parts was no reference for balanced launchers to me.

What I expect is:

- an TLV which transported 8t in a low orbit, while almost looks like a Soyuz rocket.
- an ALV which transported 20t in a low orbit, while almost looks like a Proton.

Low means with respect to Kerbin, 80-150 km and the launcher will not circulize the orbit,
that's the job of the payload. That means, the launcher finish the work 100 - 300 m/s below circulation speed.

The problem like that is when this happens:

56b1771ac6.jpg

Very simple almost-stock rocket, with Tantares engines.

If I artificially balance the engines, this kind of craft is no longer viable.

Unrelated note,

The Black Arrow Stage 2 is flipping again! 

2fa6dd6769.jpg

How on earth has this happened?

Edit: I think it is because this craft was saved before I fixed it? Can confirm craft files store things like "isFairing"?

Edit2: No, it is just flipping again. :( I need to take a break from KSP modding.

Edited by Beale

1 hour ago, Beale said:

The problem like that is when this happens:

56b1771ac6.jpg

Very simple almost-stock rocket, with Tantares engines.

I know we had a texturing discussion, but just look at it. The engines look like they were made in another style comletely. Sorry, off toic, I know, but c'mon. Please? :sticktongue:

Edited by Andem

I won't quote each reply about the LV balance discussion, but Beale is doing the right thing by balancing against stock, as opposed to IRL performance expectations. If you want more realistic rocket performance, what I do, is install either 64k, or scale the universe to 6.4x scale with Sigma Dimensions, and then use SMURFF to alter part stats across the board. That way, everything is balanced, and you can build rockets that perform in a more realistic manner.  

Ugh. Sorry to hear about the Black Arrow S2 flipping. I don't think you're building the part wrong, I think it's your flying. Try attaching ullage motors onto S2 somewhere. The goal should be to keep your acceleration very constant during staging. For example, if you're pushing 2G's at S1 sep, you don't want to all the sudden be pulling 4G's when S2 lights. It could render the vehicle unstable because whatever aerodynamic forces you were fighting at the end of S1, you have to fight much, much harder with S2, and you may not be able to. Have you experimented with other parts to isolate the issue to the S2 engine?

15 minutes ago, Andem said:

I know we had a texturing discussion, but just look at it. The engines look like they were made in another style comletely. Sorry, off toic, I know, but c'mon. Please? :sticktongue:

I'm of the opinion that the stock style and textures suck anyways, so Beale should just do what he thinks looks the nicest. Granted, I think his recent work has been playing a bit too safe, and I think he should embellish his parts more like he used to, but I don't care if his parts don't match stock all that much. There are so many parts in Tantares and TantaresLV now, that you can build almost anything without having to use any parts from stock. 

How about that Soyuz launch tonight, eh? The little pink stuffed owl dangling from the flight controls got me thinking about possible post-1.1 IVA props... ;)

Edited by curtquarquesso

46 minutes ago, curtquarquesso said:

Ugh. Sorry to hear about the Black Arrow S2 flipping. I don't think you're building the part wrong, I think it's your flying. Try attaching ullage motors onto S2 somewhere. The goal should be to keep your acceleration very constant during staging. For example, if you're pushing 2G's at S1 sep, you don't want to all the sudden be pulling 4G's when S2 lights. It could render the vehicle unstable because whatever aerodynamic forces you were fighting at the end of S1, you have to fight much, much harder with S2, and you may not be able to. Have you experimented with other parts to isolate the issue to the S2 engine?

I will upload a video of the flight when I get a chance :) . Very strongly emphasize I am flying it gently, even flying straight up I have the flipping problem again.

It is just frustrating, because it was fixed , now it is the same issue again.The old aerodynamic model was very flawed, but everything always worked as expected. The problem with this engine really is "the straw that broke the camel's back", there are so many other problems with the other launchers with flipping. I just do not have the free time needed to handle these issues (all the testing involved and digging for causes). I feel like there is many many variables behind the scenes that I do not understand and maybe even out of my control that are manifesting themselves as these strange issues.

It can sound dramatic, but I cannot believe I can continue modding (at least creating launch vehicles), I just do not have the time available. I have a very strong passion for the 3D and texture work, but the rest is frustrating beyond belief since Version 1.0.

Edited by Beale

44 minutes ago, Beale said:

I will upload a video of the flight when I get a chance :) . Very strongly emphasize I am flying it gently, even flying straight up I have the flipping problem again.

It is just frustrating, because it was fixed , now it is the same issue again.The old aerodynamic model was very flawed, but everything always worked as expected. The problem with this engine really is "the straw that broke the camel's back", there are so many other problems with the other launchers with flipping. I just do not have the free time needed to handle these issues (all the testing involved and digging for causes). I feel like there is many many variables behind the scenes that I do not understand and maybe even out of my control that are manifesting themselves as these strange issues.

It can sound dramatic, but I cannot believe I can continue modding (at least creating launch vehicles), I just do not have the time available. I have a very strong passion for the 3D and texture work, but the rest is frustrating beyond belief since Version 1.0.

I took the "easy way out" with my career-mode total conversion mods - fiddled with the weight of various tank parts to make some of the various boosters built with a few parts packs (TantaresLV included) fly "right" when assembled like their real-world counterparts. I figured that troubleshooting the engines/controlsurfaces/fairings/etc was just going to simply be too much of a PITA so I cheated in a way - assembled the rocket, showed CG, fiddled with part weights until it flew right. (I posted a few months back about my problems with the R-7 being flip-happy, this was my solution).

I guess what I'm saying is ; don't give up. There are those of us more than willing to do the troubleshooting and leg-work on the otherwise-finished parts to get them balanced correctly etc etc. Your work is an absolutely invaluable addition to the KSP community, and many of us would probably have lost interest by now if not for Tantares/TantaresLV.

1 minute ago, tjsnh said:

I took the "easy way out" with my career-mode total conversion mods - fiddled with the weight of various tank parts to make some of the various boosters built with a few parts packs (TantaresLV included) fly "right" when assembled like their real-world counterparts. I figured that troubleshooting the engines/controlsurfaces/fairings/etc was just going to simply be too much of a PITA so I cheated in a way - assembled the rocket, showed CG, fiddled with part weights until it flew right. (I posted a few months back about my problems with the R-7 being flip-happy, this was my solution).

I guess what I'm saying is ; don't give up. There are those of us more than willing to do the troubleshooting and leg-work on the otherwise-finished parts to get them balanced correctly etc etc. Your work is an absolutely invaluable addition to the KSP community, and many of us would probably have lost interest by now if not for Tantares/TantaresLV.

I very much appreciate the kind words and advice :) .

I am just frustrated at the moment with this particular issue. I will continue to troubleshoot, but it seems hopeless.

2 minutes ago, Beale said:

frustrated at the moment with this particular issue

I just checked in with this thread to see this statement but I'm not 100% sure what it's about. I looked backward and I think it's that specifically the Black Arrow craft flips while launching in Stock? I'm usually pretty good with troubleshooting. I could take a quick look if that is the issue you mean.

7 minutes ago, Beale said:

I very much appreciate the kind words and advice :) .

I am just frustrated at the moment with this particular issue. I will continue to troubleshoot, but it seems hopeless.

@Beale you can't stop working on KSP stuff. I don't have a Big G cabin yet. :P I absolutely emphasize with the sentiment. I am an artist first as well, and even editing a cfg files is miserable to me. I lean very heavily on some very talented people such as @Jso and @VenomousRequiem to keep everything working. My suggestion would be just take a week break. I usually don't make it past a day or two before I'm back and working on everything again.

Edited by CobaltWolf

12 minutes ago, Felbourn said:

I just checked in with this thread to see this statement but I'm not 100% sure what it's about. I looked backward and I think it's that specifically the Black Arrow craft flips while launching in Stock? I'm usually pretty good with troubleshooting. I could take a quick look if that is the issue you mean.

The second stage of the black arrow craft flipping is the tip of the ice-berg really :P

The issue is also present with the Soyuz (especially), Proton and I think the Ariane - all of them have very little control authority and flip over quite easily.

I'm pretty sure it's a stock aerodynamics issue, as they all seem to fly fine (or at least much better) under FAR.

de9e4262a5.jpg

9 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

@Beale you can't stop working on KSP stuff. I don't have a Big G cabin yet. :P I absolutely emphasize with the sentiment. I am an artist first as well, and even editing a cfg files is miserable to me. I lean very heavily on some very talented people such as @Jso and @VenomousRequiem to keep everything working. My suggestion would be just take a week break. I usually don't make it past a day or two before I'm back and working on everything again.

I'd jump at the thought of doing something not related to launch vehicles right now :wink: 

Perhaps a short break night now is welcome.

Just now, Beale said:

I'd jump at the thought of doing something not related to launch vehicles right now :wink: 

Perhaps a short break night now is welcome.

Like I said, every time I get frustrated and take a break I usually don't make it past a few days before I'm back to work.

And it'd mean the world to have Big G be done. And the indexing key for the docking nose. :P

I just flew the Soyuz in Stock and it was totally fine. No flipping.

I reduced the thrust of the engines WAY WAY down before my first attempt, to about 45% of normal. The thrust to weight ratio was incredibly high by default, about 2.79 at liftoff and would have gone to 3.24 before booster decouplings. That didn't seem like a good idea, so I tweaked the engines down first, but other than that I changed nothing.

10 hours ago, curtquarquesso said:

If you want more realistic rocket performance, what I do, is install either 64k, or scale the universe to 6.4x scale with Sigma Dimensions, and then use SMURFF to alter part stats across the board. That way,

You have not understood my posts and my intention. The core set of my mods you have also not read: It's all about realistic launchers for the basic game. :confused:

For those that play with USI life support, I took the extra cfg for TAC and edited it to support USI. The values are rough guesses, change to own preferences. I am new to making MM .cfgs, so please point out any errors or suggestions. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/icwwqlsfewopxid/_Extra_USI.cfg?dl=0

@PART[Tantares_Orbital_A]:NEEDS[USILifeSupport] //Tantares OM-KY1 Orbital Module - 12 person days supply
{	

%RESOURCE[Supplies]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 240
	}

%RESOURCE[Mulch]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 240
	}
}

@PART[Tantares_Orbital_B]:NEEDS[USILifeSupport] //Tantares Mianbao-WU9 Orbital Module - 12 person days supply
{
	%RESOURCE[Supplies]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 240
	}

%RESOURCE[Mulch]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 240
	}

}

@PART[Tantares_Habitation_A]:NEEDS[USILifeSupport] //Tantares HM-TK8 Habitation Module - 12 person days supply
{
	%RESOURCE[Supplies]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 240
	}

%RESOURCE[Mulch]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 240
	}
}

@PART[Tantares_Habitation_B]:NEEDS[USILifeSupport] //Tantares Mianbao-9F1 Orbital Module - 12 person days supply
{
	%RESOURCE[Supplies]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 240
	}

%RESOURCE[Mulch]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 240
	}
}

@PART[Alnair_Orbital_A]:NEEDS[USILifeSupport] //TK-OB05A Orbital Block - 60 person days supply
{
	%RESOURCE[Supplies]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 1200
	}

%RESOURCE[Mulch]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 1200
	}
}

@PART[Alnair_Orbital_B]:NEEDS[USILifeSupport] //TK-OB10B Orbital Block - 90 person days supply
{
	%RESOURCE[Supplies]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 1800
	}

%RESOURCE[Mulch]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 1800
	}
}
@PART[Hamal_Orbital_A]:NEEDS[USILifeSupport] //Hamal OM-4D1 Orbital Module - 60 person days supply
{
	%RESOURCE[Supplies]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 1200
	}

%RESOURCE[Mulch]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 1200
	}
}

@PART[Hamal_Orbital_B]:NEEDS[USILifeSupport] //Hamal OM-3ND Orbital Module - 60 person days supply
{
	%RESOURCE[Supplies]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 1200
	}

%RESOURCE[Mulch]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 1200
	}
}

@PART[Hamal_Habitation_A]:NEEDS[USILifeSupport] //Hamal HM-BV1 Habitation Module - 60 person days supply
{
	%RESOURCE[Supplies]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 1200
	}

%RESOURCE[Mulch]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 1200
	}
}

@PART[Hamal_Habitation_B]:NEEDS[USILifeSupport] //Hamal HM-XI2 Habitation Module - 60 person days supply
{
	%RESOURCE[Supplies]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 1200
	}

%RESOURCE[Mulch]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 1200
	}
}

@PART[Tantares_DockingCompartment_A]:NEEDS[USILifeSupport] //Hamal DC-6CL Docking Compartment - 12 person days supply
{
	%RESOURCE[Supplies]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 240
	}

%RESOURCE[Mulch]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 240
	}
}

@PART[Tantares_DockingCompartment_B]:NEEDS[USILifeSupport] //Hamal DC-CH0 Docking Compartment - 12 person days supply
{
	%RESOURCE[Supplies]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 240
	}

%RESOURCE[Mulch]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 240
	}
}

@PART[Vega_Crew_A]:NEEDS[USILifeSupport] //V-DOS-A - 120 person days supply
{
	%RESOURCE[Supplies]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 2400
	}

%RESOURCE[Mulch]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 2400
	}
}

@PART[Vega_Crew_B]:NEEDS[USILifeSupport] //V-DOS-B - 60 person days supply
{
	%RESOURCE[Supplies]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 1200
	}

%RESOURCE[Mulch]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 1200
	}
}

@PART[Vega_Crew_C]:NEEDS[USILifeSupport] //V-DOS-C - 60 person days supply
{
	%RESOURCE[Supplies]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 1200
		}

%RESOURCE[Mulch]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 1200
	}
}

@PART[Vega_Crew_D]:NEEDS[USILifeSupport] //V-DOS-D - 3 person days supply
{
	%RESOURCE[Supplies]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 60
	}

%RESOURCE[Mulch]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 60
	}
}	

@PART[Vega_Crew_E]:NEEDS[USILifeSupport] //V-DOS-E - 60 person days supply
{
	%RESOURCE[Supplies]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 1200
	}

%RESOURCE[Mulch]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 1200
	}
}

@PART[Vega_Crew_F]:NEEDS[USILifeSupport] //V-DOS-F - 60 person days supply
{
	%RESOURCE[Supplies]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 1200
	}

%RESOURCE[Mulch]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 1200
	}
}

@PART[Vega_Crew_G]:NEEDS[USILifeSupport] //V-DOS-G - 3 person days supply
{
	%RESOURCE[Supplies]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 60
	}

%RESOURCE[Mulch]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 60
	}
}	

@PART[Libra_Crew_A]:NEEDS[USILifeSupport] //Mk1 "Korolev" Lander Can - 18 person days Supply
{
	%RESOURCE[Supplies]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 360
	}

%RESOURCE[Mulch]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 360
	}
}	

@PART[Pollux_Control_A]:NEEDS[USILifeSupport] //Pol Cargo and Control Block - 20 person days Supply
{
	%RESOURCE[Supplies]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 400
	}

%RESOURCE[Mulch]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 400
	}
}

@PART[Phoenix_Ex_Control_A]:NEEDS[USILifeSupport] //PCM-004 “Phoenix” Pressurized Cargo Module - 90 person days supply
{
	%RESOURCE[Supplies]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 1800
	}

%RESOURCE[Mulch]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 1800
	}
}

@PART[Capella_Control_A]:NEEDS[USILifeSupport] //CAPELLA Cargo and Control Block - 90 person days supply
{
	%RESOURCE[Supplies]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 1800
	}

%RESOURCE[Mulch]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 1800
	}
}

11 hours ago, Felbourn said:

I just flew the Soyuz in Stock and it was totally fine. No flipping.

I reduced the thrust of the engines WAY WAY down before my first attempt, to about 45% of normal. The thrust to weight ratio was incredibly high by default, about 2.79 at liftoff and would have gone to 3.24 before booster decouplings. That didn't seem like a good idea, so I tweaked the engines down first, but other than that I changed nothing.

Okay that is quite interesting. I will see also if too high a TWR is causing issues for the Black Arrow.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, hendrack said:

For those that play with USI life support, I took the extra cfg for TAC and edited it to support USI. The values are rough guesses, change to own preferences. I am new to making MM .cfgs, so please point out any errors or suggestions. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/icwwqlsfewopxid/_Extra_USI.cfg?dl=0

@PART[Tantares_Orbital_A]:NEEDS[USILifeSupport] //Tantares OM-KY1 Orbital Module - 12 person days supply
{	

%RESOURCE[Supplies]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 240
	}

%RESOURCE[Mulch]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 240
	}
}

@PART[Tantares_Orbital_B]:NEEDS[USILifeSupport] //Tantares Mianbao-WU9 Orbital Module - 12 person days supply
{
	%RESOURCE[Supplies]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 240
	}

%RESOURCE[Mulch]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 240
	}

}

@PART[Tantares_Habitation_A]:NEEDS[USILifeSupport] //Tantares HM-TK8 Habitation Module - 12 person days supply
{
	%RESOURCE[Supplies]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 240
	}

%RESOURCE[Mulch]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 240
	}
}

@PART[Tantares_Habitation_B]:NEEDS[USILifeSupport] //Tantares Mianbao-9F1 Orbital Module - 12 person days supply
{
	%RESOURCE[Supplies]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 240
	}

%RESOURCE[Mulch]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 240
	}
}

@PART[Alnair_Orbital_A]:NEEDS[USILifeSupport] //TK-OB05A Orbital Block - 60 person days supply
{
	%RESOURCE[Supplies]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 1200
	}

%RESOURCE[Mulch]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 1200
	}
}

@PART[Alnair_Orbital_B]:NEEDS[USILifeSupport] //TK-OB10B Orbital Block - 90 person days supply
{
	%RESOURCE[Supplies]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 1800
	}

%RESOURCE[Mulch]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 1800
	}
}
@PART[Hamal_Orbital_A]:NEEDS[USILifeSupport] //Hamal OM-4D1 Orbital Module - 60 person days supply
{
	%RESOURCE[Supplies]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 1200
	}

%RESOURCE[Mulch]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 1200
	}
}

@PART[Hamal_Orbital_B]:NEEDS[USILifeSupport] //Hamal OM-3ND Orbital Module - 60 person days supply
{
	%RESOURCE[Supplies]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 1200
	}

%RESOURCE[Mulch]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 1200
	}
}

@PART[Hamal_Habitation_A]:NEEDS[USILifeSupport] //Hamal HM-BV1 Habitation Module - 60 person days supply
{
	%RESOURCE[Supplies]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 1200
	}

%RESOURCE[Mulch]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 1200
	}
}

@PART[Hamal_Habitation_B]:NEEDS[USILifeSupport] //Hamal HM-XI2 Habitation Module - 60 person days supply
{
	%RESOURCE[Supplies]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 1200
	}

%RESOURCE[Mulch]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 1200
	}
}

@PART[Tantares_DockingCompartment_A]:NEEDS[USILifeSupport] //Hamal DC-6CL Docking Compartment - 12 person days supply
{
	%RESOURCE[Supplies]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 240
	}

%RESOURCE[Mulch]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 240
	}
}

@PART[Tantares_DockingCompartment_B]:NEEDS[USILifeSupport] //Hamal DC-CH0 Docking Compartment - 12 person days supply
{
	%RESOURCE[Supplies]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 240
	}

%RESOURCE[Mulch]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 240
	}
}

@PART[Vega_Crew_A]:NEEDS[USILifeSupport] //V-DOS-A - 120 person days supply
{
	%RESOURCE[Supplies]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 2400
	}

%RESOURCE[Mulch]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 2400
	}
}

@PART[Vega_Crew_B]:NEEDS[USILifeSupport] //V-DOS-B - 60 person days supply
{
	%RESOURCE[Supplies]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 1200
	}

%RESOURCE[Mulch]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 1200
	}
}

@PART[Vega_Crew_C]:NEEDS[USILifeSupport] //V-DOS-C - 60 person days supply
{
	%RESOURCE[Supplies]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 1200
		}

%RESOURCE[Mulch]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 1200
	}
}

@PART[Vega_Crew_D]:NEEDS[USILifeSupport] //V-DOS-D - 3 person days supply
{
	%RESOURCE[Supplies]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 60
	}

%RESOURCE[Mulch]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 60
	}
}	

@PART[Vega_Crew_E]:NEEDS[USILifeSupport] //V-DOS-E - 60 person days supply
{
	%RESOURCE[Supplies]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 1200
	}

%RESOURCE[Mulch]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 1200
	}
}

@PART[Vega_Crew_F]:NEEDS[USILifeSupport] //V-DOS-F - 60 person days supply
{
	%RESOURCE[Supplies]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 1200
	}

%RESOURCE[Mulch]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 1200
	}
}

@PART[Vega_Crew_G]:NEEDS[USILifeSupport] //V-DOS-G - 3 person days supply
{
	%RESOURCE[Supplies]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 60
	}

%RESOURCE[Mulch]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 60
	}
}	

@PART[Libra_Crew_A]:NEEDS[USILifeSupport] //Mk1 "Korolev" Lander Can - 18 person days Supply
{
	%RESOURCE[Supplies]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 360
	}

%RESOURCE[Mulch]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 360
	}
}	

@PART[Pollux_Control_A]:NEEDS[USILifeSupport] //Pol Cargo and Control Block - 20 person days Supply
{
	%RESOURCE[Supplies]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 400
	}

%RESOURCE[Mulch]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 400
	}
}

@PART[Phoenix_Ex_Control_A]:NEEDS[USILifeSupport] //PCM-004 “Phoenix” Pressurized Cargo Module - 90 person days supply
{
	%RESOURCE[Supplies]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 1800
	}

%RESOURCE[Mulch]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 1800
	}
}

@PART[Capella_Control_A]:NEEDS[USILifeSupport] //CAPELLA Cargo and Control Block - 90 person days supply
{
	%RESOURCE[Supplies]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 1800
	}

%RESOURCE[Mulch]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 1800
	}
}

1 hour ago, hendrack said:

Can someone point me to the craft files of the flipping rockets please? I do like to tinker with such things.

Neat config!

For Black Arrow problem, here is part files and craft files.

Many thanks.

That craft file uses four missing parts for me:

[ERR 06:53:40.785] [ShipConstruct]: Trying to load Black Arrow - No AvailablePart found for Wax.SRB.A

[ERR 06:53:40.786] [ShipConstruct]: Trying to load Black Arrow - No AvailablePart found for Knight.Fairing.A

[ERR 06:53:40.786] [ShipConstruct]: Trying to load Black Arrow - No AvailablePart found for Knight.LFO.A

[ERR 06:53:40.787] [ShipConstruct]: Trying to load Black Arrow - No AvailablePart found for Knight.Engine.A

I checked the fairing part to see why it was broken, and it's because a model didn't load.

TantaresLV/NLV/Knight_Fairing_A

I checked for that model and it's just not in my install. However, I had downloaded the LV pack only a few hours ago. Is there a WIP downloaded I needed?

------------------------------------------

Ohhhhh wait a second... it was in this ZIP.

I'll fix the CFGs to use a different directory and try again.

Edited by Felbourn

I reduced the engine thrust again before testing. The engine gimbal is very sensitive. It took be two flights to get the hang of controlling my turn. On the third flight it was absolutely fine. No flipping.

BTW, I got to orbit on the first stage only. Is that on purpose? It has enough delta-V to make it to Duna and back again. The fairing it set to decouple after the second stage is burning, but you don't need the second stage to get to orbit, so the staging is a bit awkward at the moment.

45 minutes ago, Felbourn said:

I reduced the engine thrust again before testing. The engine gimbal is very sensitive. It took be two flights to get the hang of controlling my turn. On the third flight it was absolutely fine. No flipping.

BTW, I got to orbit on the first stage only. Is that on purpose? It has enough delta-V to make it to Duna and back again. The fairing it set to decouple after the second stage is burning, but you don't need the second stage to get to orbit, so the staging is a bit awkward at the moment.

That sounds a little strange, I cannot get the first stage above 18,000 metres, with careful throttling.

It was an all-stock build before adding your LVs. I did have those problems I mentioned with the ZIP you provided. It's mostly likely a problem with merging Tantares, TantaresLV, and then adding the ZIP on top of them.

I get around 4400 dv with that craft (beautiful btw!). At first glance I noticed when you start the craft with full throttle, the bottom where the engine is moves a nudge from the center until it stabilizes itself again. This may be a stability issue.

Edited by hendrack

How do I safely land the Vostok pod? When I reenter it, it doesn't slow down to safe parachute speed until too late, and at those speeds, the parachute can't full deploy in time, since it only opens at 500m, so I end up crashing into the ground at ~100-200m/s. Should I just get the EVA parachute mod and eject like the real thing? Or am I doing something wrong with my re-entry profile? It also burns a lot of ablator, ~80%, I'm a bit worried about that.

I love the mod though, adds a great variety of useful parts.

Edited by IronCretin
Ablator

@Beale, I just did some testing with the Black Arrow parts with the supplied craft file.

First time, I followed prograde. I deliberately deviated by a few degrees, and it flipped as you described.

Second time, I did the same as above without the fairing, and it required more deviation to cause the flip, so the fairing but seems to contribute to it.

Third time, I just simply followed prograde to space, but failed to orbit due to pilot error at circularisation.

So something does seem up. Have you tried deleting the PartDatabase? The Dragcubes could be corrupt on your end.

I do a lot of part modding of mods, such as taking Tantares and "making it my own" over time. One thing I have noticed in all this is that sometimes craft files get corrupted. They seem ok. They load ok. But something gets.... "off" about them. They don't perform the same after a few CFG changes, even non-save-breaking changes. Rebuilding a craft from scratch can sometimes fix a problem I'm having. If you have not tried that recently, try a totally rebuilt Black Arrow after you do what Derpy said of deleting your PartDatabase.

Yes, some things get saved into the craft file and won't be affected by changing the .cfg. For example, if you change the fuel capacity of a part in the .cfg, then load a previously saved craft which uses that part into the VAB, it will still have the old fuel capacity. For some attributes the changes only apply to new parts brought in to the editor.