[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Things are happening]

Beale

17 hours ago, Beale said:

I have something in mind, much requested, to amend this.

But, figuring out how to fold and unfold is tricky! :) 

51hyAsA.png 

Ooh! I can't wait for this!

Maybe we can get a retexture like this: :P

soyuz_u2.jpg

In serious suggestions, to comemorate BDB's Kane/Sarnus, could we maybe get an ASTP adapter?

Edited by Z3R0_0NL1N3

22 hours ago, Joeybafoey said:

Image result for sly smile gif

Is it what I think it is?

Maybe?

Here is a comparison

Gx8iak1.png

You would need much less fairing width BUT lose the ability to place them on flat surfaces / wider cylinders - is it really worth it?

As cool as it looks, it is so much harder to place without the ability to see the base. 
I know people think they want this, but do you really really?

XYpEtn7.png

On 01/10/2016 at 2:48 PM, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

Ooh! I can't wait for this!

Maybe we can get a retexture like this: :P

soyuz_u2.jpg

In serious suggestions, to comemorate BDB's Kane/Sarnus, could we maybe get an ASTP adapter?

Thanks & Nice colour scheme!

ASTP I'm not sure, maybe eventually, but I would not say it is a priority.

Edited by Beale

36 minutes ago, Beale said:

22 hours ago, Joeybafoey said:

Image result for sly smile gif

Is it what I think it is?

Maybe?

Here is a comparison

Gx8iak1.png

You would need much less fairing width BUT lose the ability to place them on flat surfaces / wider cylinders - is it really worth it?

As cool as it looks, it is so much harder to place without the ability to see the base. 

XYpEtn7.png

It's worth it. Those panels really are too small to be in use on wider tanks or parts. I am pumped!

8 minutes ago, Beale said:

Fine, but I wash my hands of the whole affair :wink: 

I don't think I follow. What is your concern with them? People want panels for that purpose, since they very directly want to have solar panels that wrap around 1.25m cylinders. There are plenty of uses for that,

I think it's ok that the panels can be attached only on 1.25 cylinder because usually people don't install only tantares but also bdb and contares etc... and usually I would find myself with alot of similar panels , if you would add these panels I would have couple of panels that similar to the soyuz size ones and also these that are more compact but can't be attached to certain parts , I think it's even better , BTW I think it would be nice if you would done this to the MIR panels aswell (the MIR ones would still be able to be attached to 1.25:P)

Edited by NeoFatalis

Almost all of the Russian solar panels are folded up like that for launch, maybe when stock texture switching becomes a thing the panels could have a flat and angled variant within a single part, along with different colours for certain parts such a Soyuz, TKS bases modules etc. Just a suggestion though, awesome job on the revamped parts!

Cheers

17 hours ago, Beale said:

Gx8iak1.png

I think it would improve and differentiate Tantares as a whole and I would definitely use them!

One solution I've found to the solar panel issue, especially since I make my own versions of Soyuz, is to rescale the R7 (TLV) parts by 1.5, or use tweakscale and make them 1.875m. That makes the rocket look realistic, and allows me to use the regular panels. It seems the performance or the launcher stays about the same overall, so gameplay isn't affected too much. I also scale up the LES by a bit and throw procedural fairings on the whole thing and it comes out looking quite spiffy. I would certainly love to see the soyuz-style wraparound panels, as well as Shenzhou-style sun-tracking panels.

Thanks for all the feedback folks.

Here's the plan :) 

Tantares_SolarBasic_A - Soyuz 7K-OKS panels.
Tantares_SolarBasic_B - Soyuz 7K-OKS panels - curved.

Tantares_SolarStandard_A - Modern Soyuz panels.
Tantares_SolarStandard_B - Modern Soyuz panels - curved.

(???) Shenzhou panels (???) - Can't easily curve these :blush:

For the curved panels, they can be transparent in the VAB, so you are able to see the base! Easy!

52 minutes ago, Beale said:

For the curved panels, they can be transparent in the VAB, so you are able to see the base! Easy!

That sounds great!

1 hour ago, _Krieger_ said:

That sounds great!

You can try it now.

Tantares 1.2 Tasty Morsel Preview

Personally I think it is horrible to use in the VAB, as you cannot see where it is being placed and it looks like the transparency module was removed from the game (?). Feedback and ideas to improve the usage is much appreciated! :) 

Ztlymao.png
SFPzIUK.png
TW7k7tR.png

Edited by Beale

1 hour ago, Beale said:

Shenzhou Panels was not curved. Take your old 4 panel standard and make it a little smaller, then all is ok, suntracking included.

On 10/2/2016 at 9:00 AM, Beale said:

I can't remember the last time I tried to use a panel of this size on a significantly wider cylinder. I simply go for a larger panel in that case. I really appreciate your going the extra mile to make the Soyuz panels stow more compactly.

Placement isn't really a problem. Just extend the panel, place it where you want, and retract it once you're satisfied. I always check my designs with the panels extended anyway to ensure they don't foul up anything else, so this placement method wouldn't be an extra step.

Beale, what shader are you using for the parts? If its the Unity 5 Standard shade, iirc thing like VAB transparency and part highlighting wont work correctly since those have to be added in a modified version of the shader, similar to how we have always had the special KSP shaders. That's according to Bac9 on Reddit.

1 hour ago, Beale said:

You can try it now.

Tantares 1.2 Tasty Morsel Preview

Personally I think it is horrible to use in the VAB, as you cannot see where it is being placed and it looks like the transparency module was removed from the game (?). Feedback and ideas to improve the usage is much appreciated! :) 

[Snipped]

Is this for 1.2 or 1.1.3?

1 hour ago, hraban said:

Shenzhou Panels was not curved. Take your old 4 panel standard and make it a little smaller, then all is ok, suntracking included.

That makes things easier! :D 

55 minutes ago, Jack Wolfe said:

I can't remember the last time I tried to use a panel of this size on a significantly wider cylinder. I simply go for a larger panel in that case. I really appreciate your going the extra mile to make the Soyuz panels stow more compactly.

Placement isn't really a problem. Just extend the panel, place it where you want, and retract it once you're satisfied. I always check my designs with the panels extended anyway to ensure they don't foul up anything else, so this placement method wouldn't be an extra step.

Good points.

32 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Beale, what shader are you using for the parts? If its the Unity 5 Standard shade, iirc thing like VAB transparency and part highlighting wont work correctly since those have to be added in a modified version of the shader, similar to how we have always had the special KSP shaders. That's according to Bac9 on Reddit.

Oh dear, yes, Unity 5! KSP/Specular.
Do you have a link to the reddit post?

Thanks for the info.

18 minutes ago, minepagan said:

Is this for 1.2 or 1.1.3?

1.2!

If the solar panels didn't curve, I wouldn't use them. If anything, I'd just delete the part for wasting space.

12 hours ago, Jabbman said:

I think it would improve and differentiate Tantares as a whole and I would definitely use them!

Doesn't that completely defeat the point though? The point being to blend well with the stock parts? If the parts are only useable with tantares than there isn't much point in trying to be stockalike.